Browing Hi-Power

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Browing Hi-Power

Post by 0122358 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:45 am

So I impulse bought a FN High-Power made in 1957, it came with four magazines (two old original and two newer mec-gar 13 rounders) and out the door was 440. Its in ok shape, dinged and dented, minor pitting throughout and the finish is worn off in some places, but the bore is nice and shiny with sharp groves albeit a bit scratched. it has the external extractor bar and came with the lanyard ring.

My question, what can I do with it?

I know im going to get it refinished with cerakote to bring some life into the finish and I'd like to get the trigger redone with new springs. But can I get night sights for a MK1? How about extended control levers like the safety lever or slide stop? What about grips? If I take off the lanyard will more modern grips like houge or pacymr work?

I want to turn this into a project gun and see what all I can do with it
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Stercutus

Re: Browing Hi-Power

Post by Stercutus » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:06 pm

Things you can do with it:

- Get a MIB suit, shoulder holster rig and go to a Halloween party as a 1970's FBI agent.
- Good hammer, very solid.
- Play both sides in Axis and Allies
- Role play any one of a hundred or so Armies that had/ have the gun in service.
- Round out your JMB collection

On the off chance that you meant customization this place specializes and they have a ton of ideas about how to do it even if you don't buy from them:

https://robarguns.com/place-an-order/ha ... -hi-power/

This place also:
http://www.gunblast.com/LT-GarthwaiteHP.htm

The Bowning HP was the ultimate custom gun even more so than even the 1911 in it's day. There are way too many in circulation for a dinged up "original" to have much value so I'd have fun with it.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:47 pm

Stercutus wrote:Things you can do with it:

- Get a MIB suit, shoulder holster rig and go to a Halloween party as a 1970's FBI agent.
- Good hammer, very solid.
- Play both sides in Axis and Allies
- Role play any one of a hundred or so Armies that had/ have the gun in service.
- Round out your JMB collection

On the off chance that you meant customization this place specializes and they have a ton of ideas about how to do it even if you don't buy from them:

https://robarguns.com/place-an-order/ha ... -hi-power/
Ooh ooh, I know. You could also get a light blue helmet and stand idly by while indigenous people rape and murder each other.

Or, you know, that Robar stuff is cool too.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:18 pm

The Bowning HP was the ultimate custom gun even more so than even the 1911 in it's day. There are way too many in circulation for a dinged up "original" to have much value so I'd have fun with it.
Did you just describe M-1's ,Enfield's, Mosin,SKS or any of the mausers?
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:42 pm

Love the BHP. $400-$450 is good as long as there is no major pitting. Extra mags are a plus. You might disable the magazine disconnect. If you want to pay for stuff then look to the spring and the hammer. Personally, I don't recommend paying for anything you really don't need. Tape up the non-paint spots and then paint it dark earth for a good look and better grip.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:29 pm

flybynight wrote:
Did you just describe M-1's ,Enfield's, Mosin,SKS or any of the mausers?
Yes, but those are all long guns.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:38 pm

I guess mine got (hard?) chromed at some point (maybe in Israel?):

https://youtu.be/GcniAfQDID8

VZ makes G10 grips for the BHP.

Guns are icky!

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:21 pm

chills1994 wrote:
VZ makes G10 grips for the BHP.

I have MilTac grips; these G10 grips make my BHP melt in my hand.

ROCK6

doc66

Post by doc66 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:54 am

Fuck refinishing it. I'd keep that bitch as beat as you bought it. I refinished a HP and I hated that I did it. Disconnect the mag safety and maybe a better drop in trigger and new springs. Other than that, keep it as is. It's a 1957 Browning HP; those wear marks tell a story. Let that story be told.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:23 pm

doc66 wrote:Fuck refinishing it. I'd keep that bitch as beat as you bought it. I refinished a HP and I hated that I did it. Disconnect the mag safety and maybe a better drop in trigger and new springs. Other than that, keep it as is. It's a 1957 Browning HP; those wear marks tell a story. Let that story be told.
At a minimum im going to replace all the springs and upgrade the safety lever and some better sights. Then get a galco shoulder rig and mec gar 15 rounders and turn it into a carry gun for when im feeling classy
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Return to “Handguns”