Clip Draw, Techna Draw. Which one for a Glock?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Clip Draw, Techna Draw. Which one for a Glock?

Post by moab » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:17 pm

I haven't looked into these a whole lot. But I want one. Which one do you guys prefer? Are there other manufacturers besides those two that you prefer? I'm looking to put one on my older Glock 32. Which is a full size frame .357 SIG.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Re: Clip Draw, Techna Draw. Which one for a Glock?

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:31 pm

I've been pretty happy with my clip draw, nothing overwhelming about the quality fit or finish, but it does what it is supposed to.

No experience with the Techna product, but it appears to allow the gun to sit much lower, I feel I would have a harder time getting a positive grip and drawing with it.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:39 am

Neither. Use a real holster.

zantra
BANNED

Post by zantra » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:11 pm

instead, get a glock 43 and a kydex front pants pocket holster. You'll have a lot more peace of mind about not being noticed, and a lot more speed of ccw draw, too. If you can't see trouble coming, in the 3/4 second needed to put your hand in your pocket, on the gun butt, no gun is likely to save you. you are just too unaware/ignorant. that 'start positon" for your hand = twice as fast a ccw draw,for most people and when the weather's bad, fastened coat atop your ccw garment and belt rig, the pocket draw-start is 4-5x as fast to get the hit. A decent rig has velcro on it, and in the jacket pocket, so that it stays where you put it in the larger pocket. As you doff or don the coat, (or know you are going to do so) you simply "palm" rig and all to the other pocket. nobody notices that you have your hands in your pockets and if that prevents your having to wear GLOVES (which make for HORRIBLE shooting in hurry) then you are many times MORE further ahead!

beachbum69
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by beachbum69 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:52 am

Good morning.

I'll honestly suggest neither, and explain my reasoning.

Any time you shove a handgun into your pants without the trigger guard covered you're asking for a negligent discharge. These can range from extremely embarrassing and uncomfortable to deadly, depending on where the handgun is positioned on your body at the time of discharge. Before you think about how far-fetched it is, any number of things could hang up on the trigger as you're slipping it into your pants - I know of at least one confirmed discharge by way of the elastic bungee gatherers and plastic tensioner on a coat that slipped inside the trigger guard and resulted in a discharge.

If you are determined to be minimalistic in your holster choice, please consider something akin to the Raven Vanguard 2 holster - it covers the trigger guard completely and makes your Glock totally safe for IWB carry. The Clipdraw starts about $30 USD on eBay, and the Raven Vanguard 2 is $45 USD.

Is it a bit of a stretch that you would experience a negligent discharge? Sure - I'll concede that. That said, they can and do happen with handguns carried IWB without a covered trigger guard, especially on models like the Glock that have no external safety.

My $0.02. I have 20+ years as a certified handgun/personal protection instructor and have been present for a number of negligent discharges, so I have some very definite ideas about what I consider safe these days.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!

-----
Kurt
Speed is an illusion created by flawless technique.

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat May 06, 2017 7:13 pm

certainly a handgun carried condition zero with only the clip draw would be a awful, terrible idea. I almost assume by default that a trigger guard holster of some kind is being used in conjunction, but that unfortunately might be an unsafe assumption.

I think the clip draw+trigger guard holster in some ways is safer then a traditional holster. Since most NDs seem to happen coming out of or going into the holster, being able to holster then gun while it is not pointed anywhere near you feels like a real boon to me. Especially since I carry a striker fired gun appendix I especially appreciate that the gun is out and pointed away from my femoral artery before the trigger is exposed.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 15, 2017 9:51 am

I am with beachbum if the trigger is not secured by the holster you are begging for trouble in a daily carry.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Return to “Handguns”