Talk me out of a revolver

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KnifeStyle

Talk me out of a revolver

Post by KnifeStyle » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:24 am

To begin, my carry pistol, competition pistol, and nightstand pistol is also the first pistol I got from a cop relative when I turned 21. Glock 17 in an Arch Angel appendix holster every day, it works oddly well despite the comical size of the gun. I nearly bought a discounted Springfield 1911 for competition, that deal fell through. Now again I have the annoying itch to cheat on my Glock and waste ammo money. For whatever reason, I'm drawn to a revolver. I was taught with one as a kid using some antiques, it's been years since I've fired one except for a recent IDPA stage which required we all shoot a loaner. I can't imagine any practical reason to own one considering I carry a full size pistol, and even a cheap .380 offers more rounds than a larger duty revolver. Plus, it has the worthless sights, worse recoil, and it would cost more than it's worth to modify it to keep up with a semi.

Yet, I still want one. Ideally a beater from the used gun counter, as inexpensive as possible without becoming hazardous. Probably just a .38 instead of a .357, no need for the exotic loads. I'd love to run it in Action Pistol solely because it looks very fun, and I'd like being able to beat a couple semiautomatic guys using a wheelgun.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Stercutus

Re: Talk me out of a revolver

Post by Stercutus » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:40 am

If you are going to get one go ahead and get one that is collectable as opposed to a piece of junk. I bought several nice Pythons for fairly cheap back in the 90s; a decision that I in no way regret now. The value on them has skyrocketed and I have my investment back many time over.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

eeb

Post by eeb » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:21 pm

I'm going to go the other way (I think), and recommend a 9mm revolver. Ruger's LCR 9 looks like a pretty decent value, IMO. Or you could go for a single action 357 with a 9mm conversion cylinder. Two options I've been juggling in my head to avoid stocking another caliber while scratching that revolver itch.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Aim Surplus had some of these recentlyhttp://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... m+Revolver.

Aim is out of them but there are still a few floating around for sale. There are fewer and fewer opportunities to get unique guns like this.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =475057359.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:01 pm

Get a used Smith model 10. You won't find a smoother wheelgun in that price range ($250-$350) IMO.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:49 pm

Whatever you do, don't get a snubbie. Looking at your current full size pistol and that you shoot IDPA you will hate that the snubbies are inaccurate and that in DA they have heavy triggers.

Go used with a S&W, Colt or Ruger and get a 3" or 4" barrel. If you want new the Ruger LCR now has a 3" barrel target version in .38 that has decent sights that can be had for just under $400.

Unless you go with a Taurus or a Charter Arms, you are not going to many centerfire revolvers new in box for under $400

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Yes, don't bother with a snubbie unless you plan on using it as a ccw gun. Which, if you are currently happy with your G17, there is no need for. You can normally pick up an older Colt or S&W in the $200-300 range. Sometimes a bit cheaper. .38 Special is just fine for an all-around revolver. You can go with a .357, but you don't really need to. I ended up going with a pre-Model 10 S&W as the home defense pistol in a speed-safe simply because my wife asked for something that she just needed to pull the trigger on. The recoil isn't bad, probably less than my Glocks. And it shoots better groups. You will find that revolvers often do. Have fun, and don't worry about cheating on your Glock. Also, remember that in an emergency, it gives you one more type of ammo that you can use.

-Mb

procyon

Post by procyon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:56 pm

I'd put in another vote for the S&W Mod 10 .38 Spl.

I have a wife and 6 kids who all shoot it while ignoring most of the other handguns I own (other than the .22's).

Incredibly pleasant to shoot, cheap and easy to reload for (if you decide to, especially if you cast your own bullets), not to expensive at the moment, and plenty accurate.

And a revolver can make for some cheap target shooting that will help break you of flinching. Just load one live round and then fill the cylinder with empties. Spin the cylinder when you close it and don't look at where the loaded round ended up. Then squeeze off the shots. You will find out if you are flinching very quickly. Concentrating on shooting like the gun was always empty helps to improve your accuracy. And only firing one round at a time makes a box of shells last a long time.

Good luck with whatever you do. :D
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Look for a police trade in Smith or Ruger. The Model 10 would work, but a .357 cylinder and frame will just last longer and soak up more recoil, and could sling moah powah if needed.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Good guns need good homes too. Lots of great firearms out there. If you reload, that offers some great options to what ever you choose.

Going used, the best buy for the money is a deciding factor, unless it is some extremely exotic high cost round. There has been a lot of good choices offered. Mod 10 is a nice choice.

It has been mentioned a .357 is a good choice, because it can shoot .38 special too. If I was to go with just one revolver, I would choose a .357.

Even if you got a great deal on a .44 mag, you can still shoot, .44 special and .44 Russian in it. The recoil on a 4" mod 29 can be nasty for a lot of people. Shooting .44 Spec now makes that canon a enjoyable pistol to shoot.

In revolvers, there are so many flavors, from cap N ball to SAA to .... One can expand their shooting experience by choosing something different than what they have been using.

One can even find revolvers that shoot automatic pistol ammo. Ruger made a SAA that shoots .45 Colt and .45 acp.
Zombies don't ski.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:59 pm

If you want one, get one. I'm quite fond of revolvers.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:01 pm

This thread has me looking into either a Model 10, or preferably a Model 64. Now to find a decent price from a police surplus site. I'm buying used or bust, I don't care how badly beaten it looks if it runs.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:40 pm

Here's my 64-3 in the upper left, paid $250 in 2012 for it. It's the first pistol I ever got and will never sell it. Great shooter. Image

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:43 pm

Armscor M200 or M206. Tough little guns similar to old colts. Brand new for around $200. The sights kinda suck though.

If you want to compete, you might be able to grab an old Smith security trade in. My local area has a bunch for around $250 cuz they were old prison guard guns
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Look for a police trade in Smith or Ruger. The Model 10 would work, but a .357 cylinder and frame will just last longer and soak up more recoil, and could sling moah powah if needed.
Wasn't there a specific model(s) of S&W .357's that had a different sized forcing cones? Like it was bad to run the lighter grains of most popular .38's out of them. Something about the jump or transition from cylinder to forcing cone, with the lighter grains, could crack the forcing cone? I don't know for sure. Came from a LGS owner who turned me off of buying a S&W model-something or other. A reloader buddy of mine bought it just because he could produce a lot of 147 gr .38's.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:45 pm

olbaid_dratsab wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Look for a police trade in Smith or Ruger. The Model 10 would work, but a .357 cylinder and frame will just last longer and soak up more recoil, and could sling moah powah if needed.
Wasn't there a specific model(s) of S&W .357's that had a different sized forcing cones? Like it was bad to run the lighter grains of most popular .38's out of them. Something about the jump or transition from cylinder to forcing cone, with the lighter grains, could crack the forcing cone? I don't know for sure. Came from a LGS owner who turned me off of buying a S&W model-something or other. A reloader buddy of mine bought it just because he could produce a lot of 147 gr .38's.
I know some of the lighter snubbies do not like fast light bullets. Not sure about anything service sized though
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:49 pm

This one was a 3'' K frame, stainless. I don't remember the details because it was like 6 years ago. Firing pin was mounted on the hammer though.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Dave_M

Post by Dave_M » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:33 am

If you want it for fun, go for it. I must say that some of the guns I've had the most fun shooting are largely impractical for my purposes.

The S&W Model 617 is one of those guns. Outside of Steel Challenge I don't know if you're going to get much competition use out of it though, seeing as it's. 22lr.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:18 am

I love Ruger Revolvers.

The SP101 (I have 3 variants right now) and the GP100 are both awesome guns.

A smaller revolver appendix carried is super concealable and easy to wear in anything.

I think small revolvers make fine concealed carry guns.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:46 am

As an owner of a G17 and an LCR9 (which someone recommended above), I would tell you that if you are going to get a revolver for revolvers sake, I wouldn't recommend the LCR9. Don't get me wrong, thus far in my hands-on experience with the LCR-9 it's been great and I am quite happy with the purchase. But if I were just shooting for funsies or recreation, I'd borrow my Dad's 6" barrel Ruger .357.

We got the LCR for the following reasons:
1) GF (and honestly, my self a little too) weren't in love with the .38 special recoil out of a snub nose
2) Ammo commonality with primary G17 and cost (particularly with pricier defense loads)
3) CCW capable for either me or her

For OP's intended use, (inexpensive action pistol to use for funsies) I don't think it would be a good fit.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:50 am

00dlez wrote:As an owner of a G17 and an LCR9 (which someone recommended above), I would tell you that if you are going to get a revolver for revolvers sake, I wouldn't recommend the LCR9. Don't get me wrong, thus far in my hands-on experience with the LCR-9 it's been great and I am quite happy with the purchase. But if I were just shooting for funsies or recreation, I'd borrow my Dad's 6" barrel Ruger .357.

1) GF (and honestly, my self a little too) weren't in love with the .38 special recoil out of a snub nose
2) Ammo commonality with primary G17 and cost (particularly with pricier defense loads)

For OP's intended use, (inexpensive action pistol to use for funsies) I don't think it would be a good fit.
Slight thread hijack here....so the LCR9 has less recoil than a .38 snub?

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:19 am

Mikeyboy wrote:
00dlez wrote:As an owner of a G17 and an LCR9 (which someone recommended above), I would tell you that if you are going to get a revolver for revolvers sake, I wouldn't recommend the LCR9. Don't get me wrong, thus far in my hands-on experience with the LCR-9 it's been great and I am quite happy with the purchase. But if I were just shooting for funsies or recreation, I'd borrow my Dad's 6" barrel Ruger .357.

Slight thread hijack here....so the LCR9 has less recoil than a .38 snub?
Realizing that "recoil" / "felt recoil" / whatever is often subjective, I'll say this:

In my limited experience, the LCR9 is more comfortable to shoot than the .38 snubs we tried - ESPECIALLY when it came to using defensive loads (Hornady Critical defense 9mm vs. a .38 +p round). That is not to say that the LCR9 is a marshmallow gun. I think I put... 30-40 rounds through it in just a few minutes over the weekend and you could feel it in the hand. I have yet to try 9mm+p out of the LCR9 (and now that I think of it, should probably verify that it is safe to do so...)

I tried 2 snub .38s - IIRC, they were the S&W 442 Airweight and the S&W 642. The GF didn't like the 642, REALLY didn't like the Airweight and refused to fire more than 2 shots of the Airweight with .38+p loaded. YMMV, I only shot about 30 rounds total between the two and wasn't enamored enough with it to argue the point with GF... And I was already pretty hot to trot on the LCR9 for reasons 2 and 3 above.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:44 pm

The advantage of the Airweight is the weight. A thought is that a CCW pistol is not used for plinking but to carry. It is the day in and day out carry that a heavier pistol gets to be more likely left at home. So the trade off is very light, but heavy in the recoil.
Zombies don't ski.

Herkemer
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD-Omega Man

Post by Herkemer » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:12 pm

I will not talk you out of one. As long as you go for the best revolver evahhhhh made. :)

S&W Model 19
Here is mine

You can get one here
http://www.bishopsfineguns.com/8066.html

I got mine a long long time ago. I didn't have any idea what they were worth until I wanted to do the one is none two is one thing. Sheeesh, I'd have to cut back on the beer and Marlboros for awhile to get another.

Seriously though, I like GP100 kinda pistols and SW airweights also. It's all good!
“If God dwells inside us like some people say, I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's getting”
Deep Thoughts-Jack Handy

Return to “Handguns”