Ruger or Remington 1911

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Brandywine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 9/11

Ruger or Remington 1911

Post by Brandywine » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:17 pm

I tried to search for this, but maybe I missed it. I put some money down on the Remington Tactical 1911, which is roughly $950. I started reading up on the Remington 1911 reviews, and some were not real good (which I guess is to be expected for any gun). I also spoke to some people at three different gun shops, who said between the 2, the Ruger was the best thing going bang for the buck-wise. So, I've now cancelled that order, and put my money down on the chrome Ruger 1911, which was about $300 less. Anyone have any real world input on the two guns? Is the Ruger a steal, or is the Remington $300 better? I realize I could have went for a less expensive version of the Remington, but decided on the Ruger. Haven't taken possession yet...
My mother never realized the irony of calling me a sonofab#tch

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Ruger or Remington 1911

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:16 am

If it were me, I'd go with Ruger. I'm a Ruger guy so I am biased, but in researching both, there really isn't anything bad to say about the Ruger but their are some complaints about the Remington. I'm not sure if there are serious problems with the Rem, or if it is just rumors about QC since Remington is part of the Freedom Group which may have ruined all the brands that it owns.

In the end, I would buy a Remington if it were some kind of super sale deal, but I'd rather take the Ruger if both pistols were near their market prices.

By Remington Tactical, do you mean the Enhanced or Enhanced Threaded?? What features is the Ruger missing versus the Remington (I feel the stainless Ruger with Novak sights and classic wood grips is the perfect 1911)???

Edit: Ruger has better customer service... much much much much better
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:33 am

Of the two, I'd go with the Ruger.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Brandywine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 9/11

Post by Brandywine » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:48 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:If it were me, I'd go with Ruger. I'm a Ruger guy so I am biased, but in researching both, there really isn't anything bad to say about the Ruger but their are some complaints about the Remington. I'm not sure if there are serious problems with the Rem, or if it is just rumors about QC since Remington is part of the Freedom Group which may have ruined all the brands that it owns.

In the end, I would buy a Remington if it were some kind of super sale deal, but I'd rather take the Ruger if both pistols were near their market prices.

By Remington Tactical, do you mean the Enhanced or Enhanced Threaded?? What features is the Ruger missing versus the Remington (I feel the stainless Ruger with Novak sights and classic wood grips is the perfect 1911)???

It actually was the Enhanced threaded version, which I guess is the top of the Remington 1911 line. I honestly didn't do much comparison between the two. The Ruger is the 6902 model. I just wanted to step up slightly from just a no frills 1911
My mother never realized the irony of calling me a sonofab#tch

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:52 am

Unless you want to run a can, there is no reason to ruin the lines of a 1911 with a threaded barrel... because the classic looks of the 1911 are one of its redeeming virtues.

Of course, that's all opinion. I still vote Ruger... then Springfield Armory... then a few others... then Remington
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:25 am

Yup, I'd go with Springfield Armory too, since that's what I already have :)

I got mine for the price you are looking to pay for the Ruger.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:55 pm

I'd take the Ruger. I've seen Remington's that were nicer, and I've seen trash Remington's. There QC is ALL over the map. Rugers seem to be consistently good.

minengr

Post by minengr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:45 pm

I'd probably go with the Ruger. The smith that built my 38 super several years back now works for them. I've never confirmed if he has anything to do with that line, but I have hopes.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:35 pm

A vote for the Ruger. You get a lot of 1911 for the price with that gun.

froglegs888

Post by froglegs888 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:13 pm

ultra magnus wrote:I'd take the Ruger. I've seen Remington's that were nicer, and I've seen trash Remington's. There QC is ALL over the map. Rugers seem to be consistently good.

This^^^^

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:24 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:If it were me, I'd go with Ruger. I'm a Ruger guy so I am biased, but in researching both, there really isn't anything bad to say about the Ruger but their are some complaints about the Remington. I'm not sure if there are serious problems with the Rem, or if it is just rumors about QC since Remington is part of the Freedom Group which may have ruined all the brands that it owns.

I am not a big fanboy of either Ruger or Remington, but I agree with JC assessment about Remington and Freedom Group, especially when the quality of Marlin leverguns went to crap when Remington bought out Marlin, and the whole mess with Remington reviving the R51 pistol. Ruger has had issues in the past, but pretty much they have their act together these days with QC and overall gun design.

I assumed the Remington & Ruger 1911s were around the same price point. I definitely think the Remington is NOT worth $300 more than a Ruger. The only way I would consider a Remington 1911 over the Ruger is if it was the other way around, and the Remington was $300 cheaper. I'm not a big 1911 guy, but I seen more examples of sloppy machine work and half-ass-ery coming from Remington in recent years (with Remlin lever guns and 870 shotguns) , so much so that I would be a bit leary to pay top dollar for any new firearms from them.
Last edited by Mikeyboy on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:05 pm

Just an FYI, Freedom Arms makes beefy single action revolvers of top quality. Freedom Group is Remington, Marlin, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc.

Just in case someone gets confused and passes up a deal on a beast revolver from freedom arms

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:59 pm

If you are going to spend a stack for a "tactical 1911" I'd just get a Kimber. Not on your list I see... but still.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:07 pm

Stercutus wrote:If you are going to spend a stack for a "tactical 1911" I'd just get a Kimber. Not on your list I see... but still.
Kimber is overpriced and their QC is barely above Remington.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:41 pm

I was going to make a joke about Kimbers being excellent for training because they let you practice clearing jams. But last time I said that I was verbally attacked.... And I'm a sensitive kinda guy. So I won't say it :awesome:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:50 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Stercutus wrote:If you are going to spend a stack for a "tactical 1911" I'd just get a Kimber. Not on your list I see... but still.
IMO all 1911s are overpriced.

Regardless if you pay retail then you are paying too much. You should be able to find a TLE/RL II NIB at $950 on one of the auction sites easily enough. A couple of hundred below retail in the same price range as the Remington.
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:51 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:I was going to make a joke about Kimbers being excellent for training because they let you practice clearing jams. But last time I said that I was verbally attacked.... And I'm a sensitive kinda guy. So I won't say it :awesome:
Pretty much any 1911 is good for that. Just load up some cheap hollow points and watch the fun begin.....
You go over and under
I go through

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:03 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

Regardless if you pay retail then you are paying too much. You should be able to find a TLE/RL II NIB at $950 on one of the auction sites easily enough. A couple of hundred below retail in the same price range as the Remington.
You could get roughly the same quality from a Tisas for half the money, or step up to a higher end Springfield or Ruger, and $950 puts you close to low-end STI 1911s. I just don't see anything attractive about Kimber.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:16 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

You could get roughly the same quality from a Tisas for half the money,
:clownshoes:
You go over and under
I go through

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:05 pm

I hear you get your money's worth with Llama.

Garand69
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Garand69 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:52 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:I hear you get your money's worth with Llama.

There can be feeding issues with Llamas too.....

Sorry, I couldn't help myself..... :clownshoes:
G69

"skillsets and mindsets don't come in a sealed can."

"Who Controls the Past, Controls the Future: Who Controls the Present, Controls the Past"
-George Orwell, 1984

eeb

Post by eeb » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Shut up and eat your ham.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:46 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Second.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:15 pm

ultra magnus wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Second.
The problem with Kimber is that, apparently, they USED to be good, and that reputation (and the commensurate pricing) endures even now that it is no longer deserved.

Return to “Handguns”