23%

Total votes: 48

learntwoshoot
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z

What is your faviorite Defensive Pistol Caliber

Post by learntwoshoot » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:43 pm

What say you?
Schlueter Firearms Instruction
"Surviving doesn't always happen by accident. No one wants to rely on their enemies lack of skill and preparedness to survive. If and when the moment comes, be skilled and prepared enough to win the fight no matter how good the enemy."
http://www.learntwoshoot.com
http://www.zwarriortraining.com

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: What is your faviorite Defensive Pistol Caliber

Post by Smash05 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:27 pm

9mm. Comes in all sizes, lots of good modern ammo choices. Good capacity.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

HMPlatinum

Post by HMPlatinum » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:18 pm

I voted for .45 auto because that's what I carry. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to carry a .40 or 9mm with self-defense rounds. A .357 or .44 magnum speaks for itself as a man-stopper. Long story short, nearly any caliber above .32 has an option that's a viable, dependable self-defense round.
- Sent via two rabid squirrels and a large slingshot (please catch and return the squirrels...they're special)

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:43 pm

So... I'm going to take the unpopular route of saying I use 22 lr for my HD gun. I know it doesn't have the punch of the bigger calipers and a lot of people question reliability. For me these are both nil factors, in a HD situation I don't plan on conserving ammo meaning I'll ammo dump my clip, I can drop all 10 rounds from my 22 with high level of accuracy in a short amount of time. I also live in an apartment so I don't want rounds blowing down my neighbor standing in his living room.

That's my HD gun, for my CC I keep a 9mm for most of the reasons already stated.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:44 pm

manowar1313 wrote:I also live in an apartment so I don't want rounds blowing down my neighbor standing in his living room.
.22 will run through interior walls like an apartment about as well any anything else.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:33 pm

I live in a state that only allows 10 rounds in a handgun magazine, so I stick with .45acp. If I lived in an unrestricted state, I would opt for 9mm.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

hondo

Post by hondo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:36 pm

HMPlatinum wrote:I voted for .45 auto because that's what I carry. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to carry a .40 or 9mm with self-defense rounds. A .357 or .44 magnum speaks for itself as a man-stopper. Long story short, nearly any caliber above .32 has an option that's a viable, dependable self-defense round.
32 or as known in Europe 7,65 mm killed probably more people in last century than any other caliber. 32 ACP is more lethal than 380 ACP.

No handgun round short of 454 Casull and 500 S&W can be called man-stopper in same light like rifle round.

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:16 pm

i voted 10mm, as its my EDC.

if its JUST SD carry, i'd be good with anything reliable.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:09 pm

hondo wrote:
HMPlatinum wrote:I voted for .45 auto because that's what I carry. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to carry a .40 or 9mm with self-defense rounds. A .357 or .44 magnum speaks for itself as a man-stopper. Long story short, nearly any caliber above .32 has an option that's a viable, dependable self-defense round.
32 or as known in Europe 7,65 mm killed probably more people in last century than any other caliber. 32 ACP is more lethal than 380 ACP.

No handgun round short of 454 Casull and 500 S&W can be called man-stopper in same light like rifle round.

Really not sure this is correct. Even if you include executions, I can't believe it would come close to the number killed by any major rifle caliber, especially military calibers. I really don't think it is as lethal as .380. But everything I understand from the last 100 years of people using it is that it does the job, if shot placement is good. Which is about the best you can say for any pistol caliber.

To the OP: my favorite pistol caliber depends greatly on barrel length and size of weapon.

In small guns: 38, 9mm. I have liked the 380s I have shot. I would carry a .32, but I'd make sure it was loaded with deep penetrating rounds, and carry it with the understanding that it is less than optimal.

For medium/large guns: .357, 44 spl, 45acp.

If I had to pick one round, right now I'd say 9mm. Modern defensive ammo is pretty good. Also, my opinion of the pistol is that it's only real utility is being on you when you need a gun. Rifles and shotguns are what you want if you have to defend yourself. But folks frown on it when I walk around with a rifle strapped to my back :clownshoes:
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

hondo

Post by hondo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:34 pm

woodsghost wrote:
hondo wrote:

Really not sure this is correct. Even if you include executions, I can't believe it would come close to the number killed by any major rifle caliber, especially military calibers. I really don't think it is as lethal as .380. But everything I understand from the last 100 years of people using it is that it does the job, if shot placement is good. Which is about the best you can say for any pistol caliber.

To the OP: my favorite pistol caliber depends greatly on barrel length and size of weapon.

In small guns: 38, 9mm. I have liked the 380s I have shot. I would carry a .32, but I'd make sure it was loaded with deep penetrating rounds, and carry it with the understanding that it is less than optimal.

If I had to pick one round, right now I'd say 9mm. Modern defensive ammo is pretty good. Also, my opinion of the pistol is that it's only real utility is being on you when you need a gun. Rifles and shotguns are what you want if you have to defend yourself. But folks frown on it when I walk around with a rifle strapped to my back :clownshoes:
Well we do talk about handgun calibers, not about all calibers but to clarify 7,65 mm would be handgun caliber that was used in most gun murders across the Europe in the last century, it was carried by Nazi and anti nazi fighters, before 2nd World War and after was extremely popular ,until few decades ago it was carried by most of police forces in the Europe and is and was an mass privately owned. It is more lethal than 380 as far rounds for 32 acp the best effect are achieved with standard fmj ammo

dwoist

Post by dwoist » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:43 am

I voted .45 because it is my wife and my bed side pistol caliber. I was raised on stories of how great the .45 is and that my dad killed a wild boar in Germany while on base security. There was a a group called the badder mein hof group there (spelling may be off). They were anti American military in Germany at the time. I also taught my wife to shoot on a XDM .45 and I have a H&k usp .45 so I'm bias.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:21 am

hondo wrote: Well we do talk about handgun calibers, not about all calibers but to clarify 7,65 mm would be handgun caliber that was used in most gun murders across the Europe in the last century, it was carried by Nazi and anti nazi fighters, before 2nd World War and after was extremely popular ,until few decades ago it was carried by most of police forces in the Europe and is and was an mass privately owned. It is more lethal than 380 as far rounds for 32 acp the best effect are achieved with standard fmj ammo
I thought that is what you might be meaning. I would tend to argue 8mm/7.92 and 9mm probably each killed more Jews and Russians and "undesirables" than 7.65. Let alone all the wars afterwards and the first world war before. But I may be splitting hairs here.

I do agree the 7.65 will likely save your life. But that is because it will be there when you need it and will scare and maybe hurt an attacker (assuming one makes their hits with it), but I for one am not counting on any pistol short of a .50 AE to really "stop" an attacker. I see the pistol, almost any pistol, as a means to encourage attackers to go some place else, and if they don't heed such advice, they increase the odds a little that you will get out alive.

But who knows? I could be wrong :)

PS: To be clear, I"m talking about physiological incapacitation, not psychological effects. Psychologically, getting shot seems to encourage most Americans and probably most Europeans to go find something else to do, like go to a hospital, which is a form of "stopping" them. But what I have experienced with hunting and what I have seen reading about self defense is the pistol should not be relied upon for physiological incapacitation. Unless you can manage head and heart shots while under a heck of a lot of stress.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

learntwoshoot
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z

Post by learntwoshoot » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:59 pm

The caliber selections were based off of what is commonly accepted as modern defensive calibers with the 9mm luger and .38 special being the lowest powered cartridges selected for the survey.

calibers such as:
.22LR
.32ACP
.380ACP

may in some cases be acceptable for a self-defense cartridge, but by an large are not most people's first choices.
Schlueter Firearms Instruction
"Surviving doesn't always happen by accident. No one wants to rely on their enemies lack of skill and preparedness to survive. If and when the moment comes, be skilled and prepared enough to win the fight no matter how good the enemy."
http://www.learntwoshoot.com
http://www.zwarriortraining.com

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:31 am

hondo wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
hondo wrote:

Well we do talk about handgun calibers, not about all calibers but to clarify 7,65 mm would be handgun caliber that was used in most gun murders across the Europe in the last century, it was carried by Nazi and anti nazi fighters, before 2nd World War and after was extremely popular ,until few decades ago it was carried by most of police forces in the Europe and is and was an mass privately owned. It is more lethal than 380 as far rounds for 32 acp the best effect are achieved with standard fmj ammo

After WW2 all military calibers were banned for civilian own and use. Including the police. In most nations.
Hence the reason 9mm Mak was common in some nations.
Also why 38super was so popular for shooting competitions.
Other wise the German police would have carried Lugers in 9mmp for the next 25 years.

Only recently have they allowed the police to start using 9mmp.

When 32acp is all the police were allowed to have its pretty easy to rack up great kill numbers.

martinscott

Post by martinscott » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:34 am

For sure i choose 9mm.

hondo

Post by hondo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:10 am

After WW2 all military calibers were banned for civilian own and use. Including the police. In most nations.
Hence the reason 9mm Mak was common in some nations.
Also why 38super was so popular for shooting competitions.
Other wise the German police would have carried Lugers in 9mmp for the next 25 years.

Only recently have they allowed the police to start using 9mmp.
Nope only in France and Italy civilians are barred from owning "military" calibers for that reason 270 win is OK but 30-06 or 308 is no go.
9 mak was common only in USSR aka Russia and some Eastern Block satellite countries but again those were communist countries and only members of military, police and high ranking political officials and members of their families could obtain permit for firearm purchase and possession.

38 Largo/Super is Lat. American caliber similar to 45 ACP you would have hard time to find gun and ammo in such caliber in Europe. Sig Sauer started with Sig 220 /45 ACP than went to make Sig 226 in 9 mm while Glock was 9 mm and latter beefed up for 40 S&W and 45 ACP etc.
German police carried Walther p-1 /P-38 until recently and Walter PP and PPK in 7,65 mm and 9 mm Kruz .

In Italy you can own 9x21 mm but not 9x19 mm.

9mm was standard round in the most of the Europe for good part of the last century,

Europe is way bigger place than Italy, France or Germany.

Forgot to add Colt 1903 in 32 ACP and many other gentleman's guns were very popular in the USA in period between World Wars especially during Prohibition, Al Capone carried one, Bonnie and Dillinger also carried 1903 in 32 ACP.

Europe has different demographic, culture and respect for the police force for that reason gun is decoration on the uniform for the most of the
police officers, flap holsters were standard until recently in the Europe gun was secured with stud or with a buckle. but if you are getting beaten by the 5 cops on the main street in broad day light there is a slim chance of anybody asking them why, forget about recording or demonstrations.

Kyva
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Warm bodies but really I like them all

Post by Kyva » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:31 pm

I have a 9mm, a 38, and a .40 cal and I prefer the .40.

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:59 pm

10mm in a Glock 29 or .357 SIG in a SIG 229.

Sent via electronic carrier pigeon.
Get off my lawn!!

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:45 am

9mm for me. Different types of ammunition will help, but for SD/CC I prefer the capacity to continue defending for a longer period. That allows a bigger window for escape.

Currently I only have one flashlight attached to a firearm, which is my 9mm pistol. I prefer only needing one hand to see & shoot. It allows me to open doors and reach family members more reliably.
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:16 pm

Some of these posts are so full of misinformation that I hesitate to put my name to the thread...

9mm for so many reasons.

With, good, modern ammo selection, the 9mm will do everything you need a handgun to do. Beyond that, a rifle.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:09 am

hondo wrote: 32 or as known in Europe 7,65 mm killed probably more people in last century than any other caliber. 32 ACP is more lethal than 380 ACP..
,32 ACP 73 Grain ..FMJ.....1043 FPS ...177 FTLBS
.380 ACP 90 Grain FMJ....980 FPS....203 FTLBS

Going have to explain to me how the .32 is more lethal

9mm 115 grain...1,300 FPS...420 FTLBS

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:00 am

I don't think there's a big enough difference between modern defensive 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP for there to be much of an argument on the matter.

What I do know is that 9mm is generally lighter recoiling than .40 and .45, even in +P loadings, making it more pleasurable to shoot. I also observe that it is much less expensive when shooting bulk FMJ ammunition. And that's totally ignoring the capacity differences between, say, a Glock 17 and a Glock 21 (using flush-fitting magazines.)
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:54 pm

I like the feel of .45 ACP recoil. I realize it may be a harder recoil than 9mm but I feel like I manage it better. I wish I'd had better luck with 9mm because all of that capacity would be nice. But I am happily committed to .45.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:40 pm

10mm, as very large black bears are abundent in/around my new homestead.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Handguns”