Ankle holster for a J-frame 442?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Ankle holster for a J-frame 442?

Post by 0122358 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:42 pm

So I bought a Smith 442 the other weekend and want to use it as a BUG, I already have a pocket holster ordered for it, but want to look into ankle holsters as well. I know most aren't comfortable but the ones I've been referred to are the Galco ankle glove, the glove lite, some Desantis models, and the Renagade.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Ankle holster for a J-frame 442?

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:53 pm

I've never ankle carried a gun nor do I ever plan to, but my only suggestion would be to make damn sure the holster holds the gun tightly.

The last thing you want is to be walking across the parking lot and see your shiny new gun go clattering across the pavement.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:23 pm

0122358 wrote:
Does anybody have any other suggestions?
YMMV and picking a holster is kind of like picking a tie for someone else. easy to find one damn near impossible to find one that the other person likes.

I carried a J-frame as a CCW for decades. I find that they fit very nicely in my pants pocket. I suggest that you try that for a little while first. I find it much faster to draw and you can nonchalantly reach into you pocket for your "keys and change" if you get nervous. You cannot bend down and put your hand on the butt of a pistol in your ankle holster discretely.

I find the pocket carry therefore much more discreet in very thing except tight jeans.

I have not found an ankle holster that I like so my opinion may be biased. :D

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:03 am

Dude specifically said "BUG", not primary.

I don't personally ankle carry, but I got my mom a Galco Ankle Glove (in addition to a CrossBreed) for her 642. She wears it a good bit for walking the dog. No complaints. .

Keep in mind, I have never ankle carried but....I wouldn't skimp and get the glove lite. I'd get the good one with the leather molded more detailed to the gun. I compared them both side to side and the Glove seemed like it would hold the gun better.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Drop Dead Zed

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:59 am

I carry my 442 in a Bianchi Triad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051F ... NXAR8NP2FT

It has an ankle pad that velcros on the inside so I can adjust it for different shoes or boots. I usually have the pad way down in my shoe over the ball of my ankle joint and the holster higher up on my calf and that stops any downward sliding. It is held in very snugly by the pocket alone plus it has an elastic (rubber) retention strap with a snap. In fiver years I've never had it fly out of the holster.

I only carry it in the Triad when it is my backup. I really like it when I'm in the car because it is so much easier to draw from my ankle than my waist while sitting in there.
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

Groucho
Favorite Zombie Movies: original Dawn of the Dead

Post by Groucho » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:55 pm

For years I carried a S&W Model 36 in an ankle holster during the summer. First was an Uncle Mike's Sidekick but it wouldn't stay tight on my ankle. A Blackhawk worked better. But both would occasionally slide to the back of the ankle while driving. Never tried jumping or running while wearing it. I mostly wear hiking boots and think that took the weight of the gun off my ankle. I never lost the gun and often would forget I was wearing it. Those holsters do make a lump under my jeans though. I've been carrying a Shield for the last six months. It pocket carries nicely.
Three men and a woman trapped in a building, send help. If you can't send help send two more women. Groucho Marx-Duck Soup

USAF SP 72-77,US Army reserves 84-92

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:45 am

I love my Ankle Deputy by sidefire....had it for a year and a half on the job, running, jumping, fighting.....it's held up great

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:37 am

I don't currently ankle carry, however I do know a DEA agent who does and in speaking with him, and seeing his various draws I am really reconsidering it. Don't believe the internet hype about ankle carry. Knowing the various draws and with practice you can draw lightening fast (Faster than a Belly Band) , from various positions even standing , and most importantly (in terms of BUG carry) while on your back with someone on top of you, drawing with your weak hand and the bad guy not having a clue until you pull the trigger.

The big drawback is you need to be fit and limber. With practice you can draw a pistol from your ankle holster almost as fast as from an IWB holster, but you got to be able to quickly raise your knee up to chest level. You seem to be in decent shape, A +350lb couch potato guy in his 60's is probably better off not ankle carrying.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:55 pm

I've been using the Renegade for more than 25 years. Very happy with them.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:37 am

I use a Galco anke holster for a subcompact semiautomatic pistol (Glock 26) and I have no complaints. Presumably they'd make a good ankle holster for a small wheel gun, too.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Sikiguya

Post by Sikiguya » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Is it just me that don't like the way ankle carry feels...I found myself walking weird...I would suggest wearing an ankle weight for comparison.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:29 am

Sikiguya wrote:Is it just me that don't like the way ankle carry feels...I found myself walking weird...I would suggest wearing an ankle weight for comparison.
Might depend on what gun/holster you were carrying, but with an airweight J frame in the Renegade, I often forgot I had it on until getting ready for bed. Carrying a steel gun wasn't nearly as comfortable.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:14 am

I carried a p229 in an Uncle Mikes holster, heavy but doable.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:02 am

400 Grains wrote:
Sikiguya wrote:Is it just me that don't like the way ankle carry feels...I found myself walking weird...I would suggest wearing an ankle weight for comparison.
Might depend on what gun/holster you were carrying, but with an airweight J frame in the Renegade, I often forgot I had it on until getting ready for bed. Carrying a steel gun wasn't nearly as comfortable.
Yeah I think getting it at or under one pound/16oz/454g is the sweet spot. Same with pocket carry. I can carry a Kel Tec P3at or a Taurus 738 and forget I am pocket carrying. With just a few more ounces in the same form factor carrying something with more metal and less poly like a Sig P238 or a NAA Guardian 380 and suddenly you feel like you are carrying a small brick.

I don't think ankle carrying a Ruger SP101 or S&W 640 is a good idea

sphillips45

Post by sphillips45 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:51 am

Best ankle holster is made by Alessi , http://www.brownells.com/shooting-acces ... 40317.aspx

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:28 am

sphillips45 wrote:Best ankle holster is made by Alessi , http://www.brownells.com/shooting-acces ... 40317.aspx
Tried one, and didn't think it was anywhere near as comfortable as the Renegade. Carrying a J on the ankle 70+ hours a week, you find out what's comfortable or not in short order.

YMMV

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:44 pm

It's too= bad they don't still make the model I have for my snubbie. It's a Bianchi but I bought it used on ebay. It's similar to the Triad but the retention strap is a flat thumb break tad and there are two straps that wrap around the outside of the gun and your leg, The lower one is about twice as wide as the upper one. The both secure with hook and loop pads. It's really comfortable and secure due to the wide strap.

I can jog with it on not problem, I wouldn't recommend doing a lot of running with it though because I have heard that running with ankle weights can damage your knees.

Return to “Handguns”