Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

$300 budget gun: EAA vs Ruger

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:41 pm

I am always looking for a good deal in the firearm realm, and I have a love affair with bargain priced pieces. At my local gun store, they have 2 brand new handguns that sparked my interest:

Ruger P95 $320
EAA Sar B6 $320
Which would you zombie squaders recommend? Experiences, thoughts?? Both are 9mm obviously...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Belair56

Re: $300 budget gun: EAA vs Ruger

Post by Belair56 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:11 am

Ruger p95.............

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:16 am

Between the 2, second the Ruger.

Also Bersa Thunders are a great bargain.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:47 am

I have heard good stuff about the Ruger. I have not heard anything about the EAA.

The EAA might be fantastic. A friend of mine has one in .40. I have only put 1 mag through it, and he has only put a few boxes through, last I checked. Not enough to form an opinion. Plus, he is not a serious shooter.

I have not shot a Ruger P series. All I have to go off of is reputation.

Of the two, I would go with the Ruger. It is more of a known quantity for me right now, even though I have actually put a mag through an EAA.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:43 am

I like the Sar.

Sarsilmaz is one of the leading manufacturers in Europe. Contracts with military's all over the place. Other companies use them as the real manufacturer of their own weapons in many cases. Like Canik.

I have a EAA Witness and have NEVER doubted it. Never a problem. It eats everything I can fit into it.

CZ-75 variants have over 50 years of testing and proving.

The Sar does have sights and mags readily available. Along with holsters to fit them.

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:41 pm

MacAttack wrote:I like the Sar.

Sarsilmaz is one of the leading manufacturers in Europe. Contracts with military's all over the place. Other companies use them as the real manufacturer of their own weapons in many cases. Like Canik.

I have a EAA Witness and have NEVER doubted it. Never a problem. It eats everything I can fit into it.

The Sar does have sights and mags readily available. Along with holsters to fit them.
CZ-75 Variants have just under 40 years of testing, but who's counting.

I love a CZ-75/Clone and think they are highly underrepresented here in the States. I have a Jericho Compact and it is a great shooting pistol.

I have read a few articles and reviews and the Sarsilmaz pistols (American Rifleman did a pretty in depth article a few months back) and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

One the other hand, the Ruger P95 is a solid and reliable gun as well.

I would not hesitate to purchase either. I would base it purely on feel and aesthetics.
Yoda for President

SJNoftz

Post by SJNoftz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:24 pm

A friend of mine owns a P95 and while his is rattles a little and isn't the most ergonomic, it's a straight shooter, is comfortable enough, and the weight it carries makes for great control. Never handled the EAA, but the Ruger has a fantastic track record.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:06 am

Ruger definitely seems to be a safe choice for me, but it isn't comfy for my hand, is bulky (not a huge deal as I won't be carrying it), it's ugly, and isn't as "tight" as I would like (this is subjective, of course). However, I am a huge Ruger fanboy, I like that it is built like a tank, and Ruger will always take care of their customers.

Sar is Turkish, which is normally decent with guns. The CZ75 platform is my favorite weapon system, its ergos fit my hand better than any gun (3 way tie with the SIG 226 and new HK poly guns), it looks cool, supposedly shoots excellent, and takes CZ mags. However, it is an import through EAA so service could suck if the gun has issues, it isn't a widespread weapon like the Ruger, and CZ platforms that are poly scare me a little bit due to having more plastic because the slide rides inside the frame.

Both have great reviews from what I've found. Maybe I will just save a little more an get something else if I can't decide.
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:30 am

More plastic would mean they are tougher, not weaker.

Thats one of the reasons CZ went with the outside the slide design instead of the inside the slide design. They could put more material into holding the slide on. It also makes it possible for a better and tighter fit that still functions easy.

And I have never had trouble with EAA service.

The most trouble I have ever heard about them was with the user converted 10mm's. They didn't always offer a replacement slide when the customer told them it broke.

And at one point I had to wait 6 months for a conversion to come in since Tanfoglio only manufactured it once a year. But I do not consider that a problem with customer service since they told me about it when I made the order.

The EAA's (the Tanfoglio metal Witness's)can also be ordered with either a slide mounted safety/decocker or the frame mounted safety. Your choice. And can also be ordered or converted to single action instead of double action.
Many of the target models are only single action but the frames are internally all the same on the large frame versions.

I don't think the Sar's have this option yet.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:17 am

I know no one cares about this anymore but I figured I'd update this since I have purchased a few budget guns recently and someone might be curious and actually use the search function for these. I might make a thread for cheap gun reviews since I own half of the manufacturers now.

I bought a B6P. Absolutley love it. Only issue is trigger slap but has kinda gone away after a few hundred rounds (never was an issue with gloves on). No failures even with cheap ammo. Very accurate as expected. One of my favorites but all my guns are my favorites...

Also talked a very close family member into buying 2 Ruger P95s since they were good deals.

So I guess the answer is I bought both in a round about way

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:02 pm

MacAttack wrote:I like the Sar.

^THIS^
I love my Witness and love the interchangeable slide that came with it turning it into a .22 lr.They come with different interchangeable variants. It like having two guns in one!
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Post by nyarlotep » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:09 am

The P95 is a thumping heavy brick of a gun that will shoot decently as long as you don't mess with it too much. My friend fixed his until it stopped working right, and had to put everything back to stock to make it reliable again. I don't have any experience with the EAA.
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

Bobby Sue

Post by Bobby Sue » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:32 pm

If I was in the market for a new gun, I would consider the Canik TP9 SA.

naanders94gt

Post by naanders94gt » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:27 pm

I love my p95. Its no 1911 but it certainly works every single time. Several thousand rounds through mine and it still feels new.

Burnt Toast

Post by Burnt Toast » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:11 am

Image Sold EAA

Image Bought Ruger, much happier with this

turbo6

Post by turbo6 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:16 pm

I really liked shooting the Ruger but never had a chance with an EAA.

The Canick seems to get praise too. However one article I read did a 3 way test on similar guns and the Canick they used malfunctioned several times, overall they seemed to much prefer the Ruger and the S&W.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:25 pm

CDNN has a Sig P226 police trade in for $399. Since Internet guns are tax free, its not to much more than the ones listed, and CDNN is usually very good in terms of dealing with and buying from. If you call them and ask them to pick you a nice one from the lot they probs will. It's a worlds better gun than either, though the Ruger is not a bad gun.

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:29 pm

I also recommend the Ruger. I have several Rugers, both autos and revolvers, and they have all functioned flawlessly. The P95 may be a bit bulky for CCW, but for home defense and range fun it's an outstanding weapon.

Return to “Handguns”