Gun Rattle?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

VeniVidiVici

Gun Rattle?

Post by VeniVidiVici » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Anyone else deal with a gun that won't stop rattling as you walk? I've been Mexican carrying my Colt GC for awhile now and the sound is really noticeable. I don't think it's much of an issue as far as other people identifying the noise as a gun but, it does drive me insane sometimes. :lol:
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

Cummins/Knight's Armament Company/Colt/Barrett/

thrillbilly

Re: Gun Rattle?

Post by thrillbilly » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Colt GC? As in gold cup 1911?

What I notice when I'm moving is the squeak of leather from my holsters. That irritates me sometimes but I've never heard any of my guns rattling.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:37 pm

If your pistol rattles, it probably needs some maintenance.

Leather, nylon, polypro, and kydex are all quiet on me. Perhaps I sweat just the right amount to keep leather from squeaking, but the only thing I hear when I walk is my footsteps.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:08 pm

A 1911 Colt Rattles? Woah... they musta really slipped up at the ole' 1911 factory. Since you Mexican carry it you can just tell everyone it is your junk.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:40 am

Balls of steel

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:19 pm

Do you carry cocked&locked or chamber empty?

I carry my g19 quite a bit mex-carry but I leave chamber empty and practice Israeli draw. 1911 gets carried cocked&locked in a holster...they don't have enough ammo the way it is much less sacrificing one.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:47 pm

thrillbilly wrote:Do you carry cocked&locked or chamber empty?

I carry my g19 quite a bit mex-carry but I leave chamber empty and practice Israeli draw. 1911 gets carried cocked&locked in a holster...they don't have enough ammo the way it is much less sacrificing one.
I carry with one in the camber. It's a Gold Cup.
MaconCJ7 wrote:If your pistol rattles, it probably needs some maintenance.

Leather, nylon, polypro, and kydex are all quiet on me. Perhaps I sweat just the right amount to keep leather from squeaking, but the only thing I hear when I walk is my footsteps.
That's what I was worried about. I've had it for over a decade now and haven't done anything other than swap the recoil & firing pin springs out once a year. I don't remember it rattling quite as much when it was new. I've heard it could be caused by the grip safety which could have definitely loosened over the years.
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:35 pm

My gold cup rattled from day one. All of my 1911's rattled. It was not loud enough to notice though. It rattled where the slide and frame met. A stronger recoil spring reduced the rattle, bit it was still present. Try a using a holster.

I fixed it by buying a Glock. :lol:

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:43 pm

I have a Benelli Nova shotgun that rattles like a maraca. It annoys me but nobody else can hear it from a few feet away.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:07 pm

Is it the magazine? My knowledge of 1911's is almost entirely second hand and extremely limited. I googled 1911 rattle and it seems according to that search:
1. The mags sometimes rattle.
2. The grip safety sometimes rattles.
3. The slide can rattle.

According to the posts I read it is a non issue as long as the pistol functions reliably. Is it functioning reliably?

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:26 pm

Most likely it is the mag or the grip safety. I doubt it is the slide. While many other semi-auto will naturally have rattle, not very many 1911 do.

Also I would highly advise that you don't carry Mexican style Carry but to each his own.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:10 am

Best bet is to take the gun out and shake it around, then identify where the sound is coming from. I had a very poor 1911 clone (can't remember who made it) that rattled because the recoil spring wasn't stiff enough and the actual slide would move while I walked.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:38 am

Some 1911's rattle and it's almost always the slide to frame fit. The grip safety is a close second cause, never heard a mag rattle. Older Colt USGI 1911's that weren't accurized almost all do it. There's even the term 'Colt rattle'.

Most of the newer 1911 semi-customs don't really do it. Much better frame/slide fit and they aren't churning out the same huge quantities of them every day like they were in WWII. All the RIA's, Argentine 1927 Sistema's and the Llama 1911's I've owned, shot, finger-banged at stores and shows all did it. There might be some of their newer models now that are tighter that don't do it, but I haven't ran across one yet. Looser tolerances.

Unless it's malfunctioning or something I'd leave it alone.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:56 pm

1911's are not designed to be "tight"

a 1911 is a combat pistol before mass production equated sloppy clearance and machining to performance.

that said many modern 1911s were produced for a niche market that found favor in armchair commandos. that being the idea a pistol should have minimal movement, which is entirely false.

Let your 1911 run free
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:31 pm

Browning 35 wrote:Older Colt USGI 1911's that weren't accurized almost all do it. There's even the term 'Colt rattle'... Unless it's malfunctioning or something I'd leave it alone.
Yup. Long ago, I was issued an ancient Springfield M1911. Rattled so loud I was scared the slide would fly off after the first round. The older NCOs said this was a common hiccup. The weapon always performed well whenever I shot it at the qualification range.

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:39 pm

It was the grip safety, I taped it down and carried it for a few days without any noise. I'd rather have the additional safety in spite of the noise so I'm just dealing with the noise now. It'll be getting replaced by a Boberg XR45 shortly anyway. :mrgreen:

minengr

Post by minengr » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:48 am

I've got 5 1911's. I just shook them all. The one that rattles the most is a full blown custom, the one that doesn't is US Property marked from 1917. I have zero issues with any.

My guess would be your grip safety is wiggling a bit.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:35 am

...yes, that's what he said.

Snyper708

Post by Snyper708 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:35 pm

It rattled where the slide and frame met.
All you need to do is put your slide in a vice and squeeze it enough tighten it a few thousands

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Snyper708 wrote:
All you need to do is put your slide in a vice and squeeze it enough tighten it a few thousands
You first.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Snyper708

Post by Snyper708 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Snyper708 wrote:
You first.
One of my good friends has been a gunsmith for over 60 years, and he's the one who showed me the trick

Return to “Handguns”