Shrouded hammer J-frame opinions

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

quazi

Re: Shrouded hammer J-frame opinions

Post by quazi » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:16 pm

I'd estimated I've shot about 600-700 rounds through it now. I pretty much never fire it SA. I often forget that it's even an option.

Either the trigger has become a lot better, or I've become used to it, or likely both. I bought one of those Apex trigger kits but I haven't bothered to install it.

I've never experienced any problems, with lint building up in the trigger shroud, but I don't carry it all that often.

If I was going to do it all over again I'd probably go hammerless, but since the shroud doesn't seem to hurt anything I'm just going to keep what I have.

400 Grains

Re: Shrouded hammer J-frame opinions

Post by 400 Grains » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:45 pm

quazi wrote:I'd estimated I've shot about 600-700 rounds through it now. I pretty much never fire it SA. I often forget that it's even an option.

Either the trigger has become a lot better, or I've become used to it, or likely both. I bought one of those Apex trigger kits but I haven't bothered to install it.

I've never experienced any problems, with lint building up in the trigger shroud, but I don't carry it all that often.

If I was going to do it all over again I'd probably go hammerless, but since the shroud doesn't seem to hurt anything I'm just going to keep what I have.
I think you're right that your gun has likely smoothed up from use, and that trigger time has sharpened your skill. Keep shooting, and you'll find you can do things with it that most can't imagine doing with a 2" J. Very misunderstood guns by those who haven't spent the time with them.

"Staging" a Smith revolver, where you pull the trigger enough to feel it lock up, and then finish the pull, can simulate SA pretty well. It's what I do with my J's, even the ones that have SA capability. It's why I don't mind carrying a hammerless gun like my 342 or 642.

Return to “Handguns”