My first gun review: Armscor m200 38 special

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jwakefield9685
Favorite Zombie Movies: shawn of the dead, Zombieland, Syfy b films!

My first gun review: Armscor m200 38 special

Post by jwakefield9685 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Hello, I'm going to try my hand at gun reviews. When I think about what I really think people need to look for in a firearm, not many guns come to mind. This limits the market in some aspects due to the individual's situation. I was in the market for an affordable, yet reliable piece that would serve as my side arm while roving my 30 acres of property. Keep in mind I am not hunting bears, but it is very effective for coyotes.

So without further ado, let's begin! My first review will be over the Armscor m200 38 special. This is a company based in the Philippines also known as rock island armory, more commonly known for their 1911's. This revolver comes in a 2 inch barrel and 4 inch barrel. The gun was modeled after the colt da detective revolvers. I purchased mine for 220 out the door with taxes. They run anywhere from 170-250 dollars. There is not a lot of information out there so that is why I picked this to write about. I have had the gun for 3 months and have fed 1000 rounds through it. The cylinder cycles well, timing is very nice for how little this gem costs. It has a dual action trigger pull of 12 pounds and a single action pull of 4.5 pounds. Trigger is crisp, and is honestly a pleasant surprise to shoot. I would recommend this for any budget prepper that is looking for a reliable, affordable gun. The accuracy is spot on with me personally. At 25 yards, I have a grouping of less than 2 inches. Not bad for a trench rear sight.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: My first gun review: Armscor m200 38 special

Post by crypto » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Oh thats kinda nice. I'm glad the trigger is good on it. If I may be so bold, I'd recommend you hit the front sight ramp with some day-glo orange fingernail polish or paint. S&W had it right when they switched to hi-viz ramps.

Also, make sure to revisit this thread after a thousand rounds so we can hear about how the timing and fit&finish hold up.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Burncycle

Post by Burncycle » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Not pretty, but good, functional guns. RIA / Armscor are a great bang for your buck. Wish I still had my 1911

crabblike

Post by crabblike » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:24 pm

This seems to be a really good option for: new-to-prepping, limited cash, stash/bugout, or just someone who really isn't into revolvers. I fit in the 'not a revolver fan' category, but am considering the M200 as an option especially considering the price. My first wheel gun was a black powder revolver, mainly for ZPOC ammo shortages, and am now thinking revolvers aren't so bad, except it's tough to keep my 'ammo commonality' rule for 9mm Para.
Over the years I've seen MANY great products coming out of the Phillipines, so I don't doubt that this is going to be decent, considering the price.

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:18 pm

Glad to hear this, I'm still a newb with guns and have a very small budget for preps, I just ordereded a Rock Island Armory 206 Revolver .38 Special , picking it up tomorrow. Also got a 2nd one for my sister.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:47 pm

I've been curious about their revolvers for awhile, as I'm a big fan of the original designs, and the price point. The biggest complaint most people have about RIA guns, is the finish on them. Personally, I think that for the price, its a great deal. My Dad has a RIA double stack 9mm 1911 that has never given either of us any problems, and is incredibly fun to shoot.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:49 pm

Barnabus wrote:Glad to hear this, I'm still a newb with guns and have a very small budget for preps, I just ordereded a Rock Island Armory 206 Revolver .38 Special , picking it up tomorrow. Also got a 2nd one for my sister.
IIRC that's the snubbie version with 2 inch barrel and teardrop round butt wood grips?

http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... er-review/

If you have never fired this revolver before, let me make a suggestion about recoil mitigation.

The natural tendency with this revolver is to grasp it high on the grip, with the narrow metal backstrap of the grip buried in the web between your thumb and forefinger. Some people find this hold produces pain under recoil, as the narrow part of the wood grip smashes into the web of the hand.

The simplest solution is to replace the standard wood grips with a larger, more recoil absorbing, rubber grip. But there is another trick you could use instead with the original small wood grip. Adjust your hold so that your hand sits lower on the wood grip and that will remove most of the pain.

This will probably mean curling your pinky finger underneath the grip. Your trigger finger should be nearly parallel to the boreline of the revolver. Resist the urge to move your hand up on the wood grip.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Return to “Handguns”