glock 26 or 17?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

cemoulton

glock 26 or 17?

Post by cemoulton » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:50 am

I posted this on another forum but I'm wondering what the squad thinks.

My wife and I have several matching firearms (minus some minor preferential touches). One of our sets is a "pair" of glock 19s. Hers is a factory gen3 nibx wearing Heinie straight eight slants with a duracoated blue titanium frame (it's pertty, but she prefers to carry her p220). Mine is just a plain gen3 with XS big dot night sights (it's my edc).

I'm trying to decide between picking up a g17 for a range gun and having it milled for an rmr. Her range gun is a tricked out 1911 chambered in .40super. It's fun.

Or a g26 for a smaller ccw ( my current smallish ccw is an old s&w model 49 with a 3" barrel) . Her deep carry is a Beretta 3032.

My sensible side is telling me to get the 26 because it has a real purpose other than fun. But the kid in me wants to build a g17 spaced out race gun.

I can't decide. I know I'll carry a g26 almost daily. Also I've never owned or even shot a rmr equipped handgun are they worth the hassle? Is this one of those lessons best learned through the experience of others?
"JamesCannon wrote: I don't think any victim has ever cried out "If only someone was there to sit idly by and watch..."

"phil_in_cs wrote: People with lots of guns and ammo, but no food, are preparing to be looters and raiders, whether they admit to that or not."

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: glock 26 or 17?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:54 am

I'll just say this now.... I'm not a glock fan... but the other day at work I had the opportunity to handle the G26 it was nice... very very nice.

Its small, light, sleek, something that made me like glocks... Just FYI It's a sexy ass beast.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:16 am

I have a G26,

Its a nice gun and you can carry IWB at 3 oclock pretty easy without printing.

10+1 is neat for such a small carry gun. It also will take your g19 mags, as you know, so if for some reason you want to carry an extra magazine you can carry one with more fun pills in it.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:46 am

Both. :oh:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:44 am

If the G19 is concealable and comfortable to carry for you, there's little reason to get the G26, so go G17.

If the G19 is still a little too big to conceal, go G26.

When I OC, I used to always switch to my G17 but then I bought a ProMag sleeve [midwayusa.com] and just use G17 mags in my G26.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:08 pm

a G19 is my deep carry gun so I see no reason to go smaller. otherwise what kevin108 said.
if you like your G19 you could always RMR it too, your groupings wouldn't notice the barrel difference.

I've been wanting to try a RMR glock for a while now, if it works as well as some say it does it could really be a big improvement, and just because it's a "spaced out race gun" doesn't mean you can't conceal it. It could conceivably bump a glock from "good pistol" to "mediocre PDW" territory (meaning a step up).
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:19 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:Both. :oh:
It is your destiny.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:55 pm

Hi!

I own a Glock 26 and, for a while, I thought that I could get by with just the Glock 26 for an everyday carry, and my pump action shotgun for home defense.

That was... before I learned that my spouse was, shall we say, opposed to having a long gun in our bedroom. Period.

Since that small revelation, I've decided to keep my Glock 26 as my everyday carry pistol, but to also (in the near future) invest in a Glock 19 as the home defense firearm that I keep in a little vault next to my bed. The reason I have for this is simple:

The Glock 19 has an accessory rail under the barrel, which can have a flashlight mounted to it... so with one hand, and finger off the trigger, I can explore with the flashlight while opening the door to my hallway with my other hand, and take up a position to defend the house's three bedrooms where my familiy sleeps.

The Glock 26 doesn't have an accessory rail under the barrel... so I would need one hand for the pistol, one hand for a flashlight, and a third hand to open the door to the hallway. I haven't figured out how to accomplish that trick yet.

I've shot a full sized Glock (the .40 caliber version is what I learned to shoot handguns on), and the compact Glock 19... and I prefer the compact version to the full sized "duty" version.

So, my advice is... for EDC, a Glock 26 is the way to go.

But if you have a spouse who won't let you keep a shotgun in your bedroom... a Glock 19 is a close runner up for home defense.

(At least until you can get to your safe, and get your shotgun out.)

Good luck!
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Ebby

Post by Ebby » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:11 pm

If you're looking at a G17 for a race build, why not go all out and get a G34?
Overkill never fails.

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Ebby wrote:If you're looking at a G17 for a race build, why not go all out and get a G34?
My thoughts exactly.

If the size of the G19 is preventing you from carrying it get the G26, if your carrying the G19 without issue get the G34.

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:25 pm

glock 26 or 17?

Is this even a question? Obviously both
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:24 pm

I went ahead and picked up a gen3 26. haven't shot it yet bought I have shot a gen4 26 and three only real difference between the two is grip size/texture.

In the next month or so I'll be deciding between 17, 34 or 17L.

Hmmmmmm .....
"JamesCannon wrote: I don't think any victim has ever cried out "If only someone was there to sit idly by and watch..."

"phil_in_cs wrote: People with lots of guns and ammo, but no food, are preparing to be looters and raiders, whether they admit to that or not."

missouri dave

Post by missouri dave » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:48 pm

No help here. I think the glock 19 is the very pinnacle of defensive handgun development.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I recquire the same of them.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:57 pm

How about getting a G24(or 35 if you can't find a 24) and a 9mm conversion barrel.

With a change of ejector and mag the G19(as will a 17 and a 34) top will fit on the frame and with a 17 length barrel threaded for a silencer the whole idea of machining the G19 slide to accept an RMR gets quite a bit more interesting :twisted:
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

alptraum

Post by alptraum » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:49 pm

cemoulton wrote:I went ahead and picked up a gen3 26. haven't shot it yet bought I have shot a gen4 26 and three only real difference between the two is grip size/texture.
Nice choice, though I prefer the gen4. The G26 is such a nice carry gun, I hope you enjoy it.

PS - Mag release is also different between the gen3 and gen4, the gen4 release is better (in my opinion).

strm_trpr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Evil Dead, Dawn of the dead

Post by strm_trpr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:29 pm

I have a glock 19, so when I was looking for a fullsize range gun I went big and picked up a glock 34.

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." ~Ayn Rand~

strm_trpr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Evil Dead, Dawn of the dead

Post by strm_trpr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:45 pm

Sorry I am a dolt, i just realized you got a 26 already. Still a good choice, still fun to shoot.
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." ~Ayn Rand~

jwakefield9685
Favorite Zombie Movies: shawn of the dead, Zombieland, Syfy b films!

Post by jwakefield9685 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Its a hard choice. I have a gen 2 17 that is a blast. It is my end of days gun. I also had a gen 3 26. I wound up selling the 26 due to the muzzle climb of it with defence rounds. It made for slower follow up shots. I just purchased a gen 3 19 that I think will be better with recoil than the 26. So I would say 17.

Return to “Handguns”