Best .45 ACP for concealed carry

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

OneEternalRound

Best .45 ACP for concealed carry

Post by OneEternalRound » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:55 pm

I am seeking out the opinions of my fellow handgun aficionados in this post. I have a 2 full size handguns in .45 ACP and 9mm but it's near impossible to conceal them. So I'm looking for a small .45 ACP handgun that can be concealed easily. I don't care for looks, I own a Glock lol, not for looks. Reliability, durability and accuracy are my main concerns and they take equal place as far as priority. I appreciate any and all opinions, looking for some light to be shed on the best for concealment.

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Re: Best .45 ACP for concealed carry

Post by Iowa_guy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:02 pm

The Springfield XD-S would be suitable. It has a 3.3 inch barrel and is about 1 inch wide. Normally only carries 5 rounds but you can up it to 7 with the extended mag. I have not shot one but I am familiar with the design and function of the other XD pistols. They did issue a recall so you may want to look into that before proceeding.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:58 pm

I haven't carried the XD-S, but I've shot it in both 9 and .45 quite a bit. The 45 is obviously going to be a bit more stout recoil-wise, but I found it more manageable than a compact 1911. The controls are good, and even though I spend a pitifully small amount of time shooting handguns, the XDS was stupid easy to get on target and make consistent hits.

Of course, you can't discount another Glock. Fantastic pistols (Even though they're the ugliest things in the world. :lol: )

Or you could be super l33t and get a hi-point. :awesome:
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:51 pm

OneEternalRound wrote:...I have a 2 full size handguns in .45 ACP and 9mm but it's near impossible to conceal them...
Which handguns, and what is causing the difficulty in concealment (required dress code, body size, etc.)?

I personally think that most full-size handguns can be properly concealed if you have a good holster and can adjust your wardrobe around them.

That said, I would steer you away from the Glock 36 (.45 sub-compact). Very easily concealed, but limited magazine capacity and (in my experience) not particularly easy to shoot. Still, a lot of folks say good things about them, so if you can test drive one then do so. You may love it, but I never got in a happy place with mine.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

OneEternalRound

Post by OneEternalRound » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:
OneEternalRound wrote:...I have a 2 full size handguns in .45 ACP and 9mm but it's near impossible to conceal them...
Which handguns, and what is causing the difficulty in concealment (required dress code, body size, etc.)?

I personally think that most full-size handguns can be properly concealed if you have a good holster and can adjust your wardrobe around them.

That said, I would steer you away from the Glock 36 (.45 sub-compact). Very easily concealed, but limited magazine capacity and (in my experience) not particularly easy to shoot. Still, a lot of folks say good things about them, so if you can test drive one then do so. You may love it, but I never got in a happy place with mine.

I have a Glock 21 and a beretta m9

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:35 pm

An officer or commander size 1911 is a gun many people can conceal. On a budget, check out the Kahr CW45. It's not a gun meant to put 20k rounds through, but it's skinny and light for carry.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:36 pm

Get the glock 30 sf? Magazine compatibility with your 21 for your reload(s)
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:40 pm

I own and carry an HK45Ct. It isn't the highest capacity or smallest but it conceals well and is a joy to shoot. I've only had it for about a year or ~ 500 rounds but it has been 100% reliable. The controls are nice and ambidextrous. The Mepro night sights are better than the target sights on my USPt.

The best thing I can say is that it feels like I'm shooting my USP -it is extremely easy to shoot. The only bad things are: expensive to buy, magazines are around $50 and holsters are not just off the shelf.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:56 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Get the glock 30 sf? Magazine compatibility with your 21 for your reload(s)
Is it the 30S that has the 36 slide on a 30SF frame? That would seem to fit the bill.

If thinner is necessary, then an XDs is about as pancaky as they 45s come.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:Get the glock 30 sf? Magazine compatibility with your 21 for your reload(s)
Is it the 30S that has the 36 slide on a 30SF frame? That would seem to fit the bill.

I don't get the short slide thing, it's the grip that people usually have trouble with and shortening the barrel/slide length isn't helping anyone's accuracy right?
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:03 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

I don't get the short slide thing, it's the grip that people usually have trouble with and shortening the barrel/slide length isn't helping anyone's accuracy right?
Slimmer, not shorter than the G30 slide. The only difference (though you wouldn't know to look at Glock's page) is that the G36 slide is a bit thinner. It's basically a G36 that takes G30 mags. IT came about because people were buying G36's and throwing that slide on a G30SF frame and going "Gee Glcok should make this from the factory...why does the 36 even exist?"
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Siggy01

Post by Siggy01 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Let's see: Glock 36, Springfield XDS, Kahr PM45. Those would be about the smallest/lightest. I've considered the XDS myself, ended up with a SW Shield in .40 instead.
"What do you mean pass the salt!? Just eat me and get it over with!"

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:15 pm

XD-s. It's compact, light, and shoots like a full- size pistol. Yeah, there's a recall, but I wouldn't let that deter me since it's a proactive recall to to prevent a *potential* hazard that has never actually happened.
R.A.S.P!
.. ... . . .,, .... ., , ,.,, ,,, .., ,.. .. ,.. , .... . .,. . ,,..,, ,.,. .,. ,.,, .,,. , ,,, .,.,.,

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Kahr PM45.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Alpha-17
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Afterlife
28 Weeks Later

Post by Alpha-17 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 pm

I carry a full sized 1911, and find it to be relatively easy to conceal. I very much prefer it to smaller, compact and subcompact pistols.
THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN TACTICAL GEAR WON'T SAVE YOUR LIFE...... BUT, HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SURVIVING IN STYLE?

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:55 pm

I'm sure people will scream about quality control and other such drivel, but...I carried a Kimber Compact CDP II for a long time. Wonderfully comfortable. I would recommend many of the Kimber line or 4" barrel 1911s generally.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Whackpack7

Post by Whackpack7 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:44 am

From the opinion of someone working at a gun store (not that that means any whoopie at all but you know, I get asked this question a lot):

XDS45- So most people have mentioned this in some way. It does deserve respect. The S in XDS refers to the fact that the weapon is slim and uses a single stack magazine. 5 rounds of .45 with the standard magazine and 7 with the XTension magazine, respectively. Pierce grip extensions are also available for the standard 5 round magazines. Though they do not increase magazine capacity, they do give you a long enough grip to get your pinky finger on it which makes a substancial difference when firing and drawing. It has a 3.3 inch barrel and is coated with Melonite to help with holster wear. As with most Springfield firearms, this weapon comes with a holster, magazine holster, 2 standard magazines, and interchangable backstraps for more custom fitting. It additionally comes with both green and orange/red fiber sights that you can swap out if you prefer a color over another. Features a series 1913 picatinny rail for all of your favorite attatchments for tacticoolness. I own the 45 and am (was) fond of it. The downdfall is that since it is new, finding holsters is difficult. The worse part is that there is a recall on almost all of them currently (based off of serial number) and our Springfield rep said "we have no idea how to fix it" so they are requesting all XDS handguns that fit the recall be shipped back indefinitely for repair or whatever they are doing.

Glock 30/30SF/36- Being a Glock lover and our store's 'Glock Guy', I can ramble about these for hours but will try to keep it brief. The Glock is an excellent platform. The Glock 30 is the companies subcompact .45 which uses a double stacked 10 round magazine. The 30SF as mentioned before is a 30 frame with a 36 slide. The advantage of this is that it takes 10 round double stack magazines (and therefore mags from the Glock 21 also), but also still has a rail located on the weapon. The 36 is the subcompact 'slim' which features a single stack 6 round magazine with no rail. My 45 CCW is actually the Glock 30. I always tell customers to pick the 30 or 30SF over the 36 because for the minor size difference you get 4 more rounds of ammunition and the interoperability of Glock 21 mags, which obviously would be weird and 'gangsta', but for SHTF its just another mag you could fit in it. The rail on the 30 was also a big deal to me since if it keep it by my bed I like to have a TLR3 on it. I hate hearing people argue about the size and weight difference because I am 5' 11'' and 135 pounds... I use a Galco IWB and conceal the 30 just fine. No issues. You also run into the Gen 4 Versus Gen 3 issue with Glocks. Notable differences include that a Gen 4 retails for $40 more, has an ambidextrous and enlarged mag release, 2 stage recoil spring, improved internals, 3 magazines versus 3, symmetric stippling pattern on the sides and reduced stippling on the finger grips, and 2-4 interchangable backstraps depending on model giving you up to 5 different options for a custom fit. On some models, the Gen 4 is also slimmer. I always reccommend that if buying new, just Get the Gen 4 since factory mags retail for $30 and the price difference between generations is $40 so if for anything just get the extra mag. Both my 26 and 30 are Gen 3 and there really aren't any isses, but if I were going to go buy a brand new Glock I'd just get the Gen 4 to be the cool kid.

Edited to add... As for my opinion, I say go Glock. If it fits your hand and you like it, you can't go wrong. I... I break shit. A lot. I have broken Luminox watches, my MOLLE ruck, the torsion bar in my car (which the repair shop still swears in 50 years of being in business they have never seen broken)...the list goes on. I am just really hard on things. I cannot break a Glock. I dropped my 30 off a 60' cliff and it landed on rocks, did not break it. I have dropped it since then, swam with it (not by choice), slept with it, camped in the mud and rain with it... Still trucks along like a boss :mrgreen: they really are a good gun to own. You can't even see any real wear on mine. Like I mentioned earlier, I work at a gun shop. There are very very few modern pistols I haven't seen, sold, fired, or carried. The Glock 30 is still what ends up in my holster 99% of the time. Once and a while my Beretta 92FS will work its way in, but only for OC. Really what it always boils down to is what you are comfortable with and enjoy shooting and carrying.

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:32 pm

^ Update:

I've been holding on to my XD-S during the recall while my "battle buddy" is getting hers upgraded. She informed me that Springfield has begun work on the recall and should be turning them around in short order. Once she's got hers back, I'll be sending mine in.
R.A.S.P!
.. ... . . .,, .... ., , ,.,, ,,, .., ,.. .. ,.. , .... . .,. . ,,..,, ,.,. .,. ,.,, .,,. , ,,, .,.,.,

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:30 pm

How concealed are you trying to get? Do you normally wear attire that doesn't let you conceal IWB? Are you trying to pocket carry because of said restriction? What problems are you running into concealing what you already have? Are you against a snubby revolver? S&W J-Frame can hide quite easily. Not .45ACP, but .357 will still put the hurt on.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Others here have mentioned the Glock 30 and Springfield XD series which are excellent Carry Concealed options no doubt. The Smith & Wesson M&P "Shield" is only chambered in 9mm and .40S&W, however the Standard S&W M&P Compact is chambered in those calibers as well as .45ACP and is worthy of checking out. You can find them below $550 were as the XD's are usually priced somewhere around $600.
The Beretta PX4 is also chambered in .45ACP but is more of a medium size handgun.

If you have the extra $ then definitely take a look at the HK45c (Not USP) or a good quality Compact 1911.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:54 pm

I'd go with a Glock 30 or an XDS if the Glock is too big. Both models will function well. JMO, but I don't think there's much difference in comfort between a Glock 30 standard frame vs short frame, but if you're worried about it try to find somewhere that has both so you can compare side by side.

JollyRoger762

Post by JollyRoger762 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Why are you primarily having a problem keeping it concealed -- length, width or both?

I carry AIWB with the grip parallel to my belt. Neither length nor grip length is a problem in this configuration. Width is. If I have to keep it concealed completely (I can open or concealed carry, so it's not a legality issue), then I carry a 1911 -- it's thinner even than a G19, and I don't know of any double stack .45s that can compete for width, and few single stacks with a 1911.
"No, they were not 'psychos', they were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a #^@% how crazy they are."

furiousjorge

Post by furiousjorge » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:42 pm

if you're a 1911 guy and you can score a reliable commander length, look into doing a bobtail mod. they're easy enough to do yourself with hand tools and really changes the concealability of the gun IMO.

this is one i did myself, before the final sanding and refinishing.

and the part -http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/ ... d1346.aspx
have you ever been as far as even considered go want to do look more like?

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:46 am

Assault Life wrote:Kahr PM45.
Nice guns, if you get a good one.

Return to “Handguns”