M&P Compact 9mm for CCW

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

M&P Compact 9mm for CCW

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:23 pm

After a long long time of trying to decide which compact handgun to get for CCW I have decided to go ahead and purchase a
Smith & Wesson M&P Compact in 9mm.

I was seriously thinking of saving up and going with the Sig P229 but personally found it to be too bulky for CCW. I also really like the HKP30S however that is slightly out of my price range at the moment. Someday... someday.

The features I really like with the M&P c is the ergonomics, sight picture, snag free design, "Fish scale" serrated slide, low profile slide, trigger reset, and last but not least the durability/reliability. Watch out Glock! ;)

I know a couple of my friends that purchased M&P's and they love them.

I believe I am making the right choice in this decision. Would like to hear your thoughts.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Re: M&P Compact 9mm for CCW

Post by Blast » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:17 pm

I was holding out for an M&P Shield, but then I came across the Sig P938 and fell in love. It is smaller in size (length and width) but it is heavier in weight being all steel. I picked up the "Nightmare P938" with the glow-in-the-dark sights and really like everything about it except for loading the magazines. They have sharp edges and a really stiff spring so loading them is painful.

-Blast

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:19 pm

The M&P 9c is my CCW top choice, too. Freakin' fantastic is all I can say about it!

I've carried the P229, too, and it's my second choice (I have a Shield, too, but it's more likely an ankle carry than IWB). If you find the right holster, the size of the P229 makes much less of a difference. I recommend the Comp-Tac MTAC holster. You can buy the kydex bodies to swap out based on which gun you want to carry.

Congrats on your choice! You definitely won't be disappointed.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

funky3450

Post by funky3450 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:46 pm

been lumpin the 9c for awhile now. 0 issues so far. the trigger took a little getting used to but it's a very accurate, reliable and controllable carry gun. my next gun is an M&P core.

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:44 pm

I own a .40 M&P compact and a .40 Shield. I love them both but I prefer the Shield for concealed carry. It's so light and thin, it's perfect for hiking.

I used to have a Sig 239 and a Glock 27. I prefer both M&Ps to those other brands.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:06 am

I carry an M&P shield in 9mm.

Love everything about it except for the sights. I'll be getting some night sights for it soon.

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:02 pm

I have the 9c as well, I thought it a good compromise between the full size and shield since I could only afford 1. I got it with the night sights. So far its been fed a variety of ammo of whatever I could find in stock and my own reloads without a problem.
Carry in a DeSantis holster with spare mag.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:52 pm

So I went and purchased my M&P 9c this last Monday morning and took it to the range.

Range Report: 108 shots fired using 50 rounds Federal 124 grain FMJ, 50 rounds of German produced Geico 115 grain FMJ and 8 rounds of Winchester Critical Defense Bonded JHP +P 147 Grain.

At 7+ Yards (21ft-23ft) I scored all center mass with 2-3 inch groups and a total of six bullseyes. 24 rounds were headshots with only one miss at 1 inch to the left of the head.

There was one issue with one single round. The firing pin hit the primer but failed to ignite the round.
That was the Geico German made ammunition. I chambered the round again and the second time it went bang. I am 98% convinced that this was the strange ammunition and not the firearm.

I have bought a Kydex IWB holster for it which I am pleased with and today I received the extra finger extension magazine floor plate for the second mag that came with the gun.

Next payday I will be ordering Trijicon Night sights for it and will be on the hunt for some more 9mm ammunition. Wish me luck on that one.

Thanks for all your responses!~ Keep'em coming too

I am glad to hear that you are all pleased with your M&P's like I am!

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:03 am

My thinking is that one should try out various weapons and choose the one you can comfortably and accurately shoot

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:23 pm

gundogs wrote:My thinking is that one should try out various weapons and choose the one you can comfortably and accurately shoot
I totally agree!

I have either owned and or shot Glock's, 1911's, Beretta's, Sig Sauer's, HK's, WWII German Luger etc.
However I have never shot an XD/M Springfield, Walther or Kahr. I never even shot a M&P before buying mine but luckily I am proficient with it and it is a fine weapon from what I have experienced with it so far.

Return to “Handguns”