Ares Armor Rudius 1911 Build

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rossboy14
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (OG)

World War Z was a horrible movie. Amazing Book!

Ares Armor Rudius 1911 Build

Post by Rossboy14 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Well about a year ago I pre ordered one of the 1911 kits from Ares Armor. I built it about six months ago, but with the birth of my daughter I never got the chance to write anything up. Well Nanny is watching my little lady, so I figured I would write it up really quick. This will pretty much be a general overview of the build process. For those of you that have done multiple AR rifles like I have, if you ever take on this project, it is WAY different.

I started by pulling up the CAD drawings from CNCguns.com. They have tons of models and CAD drawings, so it was a huge help to have access to these. The schematics were also posted, which meant that finding the tolerances were easy as well.

After setting the tool paths, and getting everything ready I threw them into the CNC.

Before I put the frame into the CNC I grabbed a block of aluminum that was about the same max X,Y,Z dimensions of the frame, and did a mock run of the barrel seat/holes. I dry fit all the pieces I could, just to make sure everything was going to work out.

Barrel seat

Here is the holes in the rear of the frame for the various internals.

Once I double/triple/quadruple/quintuple checked everything it was time for the frame.

With the frame now in the CNC the order of operation went as follows.
1. Index off slide catch hole
2. Cut rear pin holes [This was several operations to change bits, but you get the idea]
3. Flip the frame and machine the barrel seat
4. Mill slide rails

Here you can see the finished barrel seat. I also ended up rounding out the front of the rails. This was an after though. I only did this after looking at my other 1911.

After the rails were done it was time to fit the slide. Some people spend big money on fitting compound and such from Midway or Brownells. I just grabbed some valve lapping compound, and a rubber mallet. After several hours of back and forth with the slide, it would move freely. I put it in the parts cleaner then lubed it up.

I assembled it with parts from SARCO. I am lucky enough to live close to their warehouse, so I did not have to wait. Here is the assembled firearm. Ares design is much like a STI 2011, in that it has a metal frame with a polymer grip.

I went through the functions check... it worked. I fired a casing with just a primer...it went off. I took it in the back yard and put real round in...it fired. It also cycled very well which was a nice bonus I was not expecting. I then painted it, after all I did put a few scratches on it putting it together. Below is the finished product.

I have to say, I have some nice guns. Collector pieces passed down from family from the mid 1800's, to black rifles. This is probably my favorite piece. After all, not a lot of people have one that they can hand to someone and say, "Hey man, I built that one, and I do not mean I just put it together."
Last edited by Rossboy14 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Most people don't believe something can happen until it already has. That's not stupidity or weakness, that's just human nature.”

― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

http://www.virtusdad.com/

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: Ares Armor Rudius 1911 Build

Post by KentsOkay » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Looks freaking epic!
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:58 am

I agree, this had to be a lot of fun. I suppose I need a c&c machine in my spare bedroom now...
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Rossboy14

Post by Rossboy14 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:34 am

TheLastOne wrote:I agree, this had to be a lot of fun. I suppose I need a c&c machine in my spare bedroom now...

Nah, you would not need a CNC. Ares also sells a jig that you can use. It can either be completed on a manual mill or a drill press. The drill press would be a last resort though. They are not exactly made for that amount of side loading, but as long as you tighten your chuck after every pass it should work fine. Everything would be fairly simple with the jig. All you would need is the bits, a ball end mill for the barrel seat, and a keyseat cutter for the rails. There is a lot of info out there on some other forums from guys that have done them when SARCO used to carry the "decorator" frames.
“Most people don't believe something can happen until it already has. That's not stupidity or weakness, that's just human nature.”

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:49 am

Nothing to add, that's just really awesome.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:16 pm

The fit on the grip safety seems a tad off :wink:
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Rossboy14

Post by Rossboy14 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:21 pm

mk_ultra wrote:The fit on the grip safety seems a tad off :wink:

I know. For some reason the folks at Wilson Combat decided to come out with a universal beaver tail grip safety. Instead of finding the 1911 with the largest frame and going off that. It seems like their engineers just said "screw it", and made the thing guaranteed to fit any 1911 out there.

*EDIT* I just ordered a new one. If my wife asks, I am going to blame the purchase on this thread. It is almost fool proof!
Last edited by Rossboy14 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:24 pm

I'd like to do soemthign like this some day. Either a 1911 form scratch, or a home made Glock.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Rossboy14

Post by Rossboy14 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:31 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'd like to do soemthign like this some day. Either a 1911 form scratch, or a home made Glock.

Give 3D printers 5 - 10 more years. Once the materials are stronger, doing a polymer Glock will be a button push.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Rossboy14 wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'd like to do soemthign like this some day. Either a 1911 form scratch, or a home made Glock.

Give 3D printers 5 - 10 more years. Once the materials are stronger, doing a polymer Glock will be a button push.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013 ... ron-glock/
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Rossboy14

Post by Rossboy14 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Rossboy14 wrote:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013 ... ron-glock/

Whelp.... I am off to the garage. If I work through the night I can have a proof of concept for an iron Kriss Vector.

VaderSpade

Post by VaderSpade » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:21 am

I'm working on one of these now and I'm finding that just about everything is undersized, or under drilled, or not drilled.

Did you drill the hole for the roll pin for the ejector, or just loctite it in?

I also noticed the (half round, half square) slide catch hole is way short. I think the ejector holes are also short, but I haven't double checked on that yet? Any other surprises I should be looking for?
I have a CNC mill, but for an old machinist it's just faster on my manual mill. If I were doing several I would set it up on the CNC.

All in all a lot of fitting work, but it's coming along nicely. The more I work on these and the KTO frames the more I look forward to the Tactical Machining 80% frames coming out. They sent me one to play with and as I fit pieces in the Ares frame I double check the TM 80% frame along with my Springfield frame. The TM frame matches my Springfield frame perfectly, none of the others do. Just waiting on a jig to start work on the TM frame.

Rossboy14

Post by Rossboy14 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:29 am

I did have to hand fit a lot of the pieces. I did not even bother to drill the roll pin for the ejector, just loctite. I pretty much anticipated tight tolerances on pretty much every aspect of the build. I own a custom cabinetry business, and we do the same thing with our pieces that we wont be installing ourselves. Always better to have a little scribe material to work with than being short. I would expect to custom fit everything as you move along.

They recently sent me a new polymer grip, since I had an issue with my first one. The mag release would not travel far enough through the hand grip to catch the magazine. I had to drill it out a little more. It went a little to far, because I noticed the mag release then had some over travel. When I got the new one, same under travel problem with the catch not engaging the magazine. I think I will just hand sand this one by the .001 to get it into consistent function. The new one however did not need to be painstakingly sanded to accept GI magazines.

EDIT TO ABOVE: I forgot to mention. I emailed the guys at Ares my problem with the grip, and they sent me a brand new one free. Did not even charge shipping. They are leaps and bounds beyond what their customer service used to be.

I am insanely jealous. I have seen your posts on the TM boards (I ghost them), and would love to get my hands on a TM1911. I am anxiously awaiting a release.
VaderSpade wrote:I'm working on one of these now and I'm finding that just about everything is undersized, or under drilled, or not drilled.

Did you drill the hole for the roll pin for the ejector, or just loctite it in?

I also noticed the (half round, half square) slide catch hole is way short. I think the ejector holes are also short, but I haven't double checked on that yet? Any other surprises I should be looking for?
I have a CNC mill, but for an old machinist it's just faster on my manual mill. If I were doing several I would set it up on the CNC.

All in all a lot of fitting work, but it's coming along nicely. The more I work on these and the KTO frames the more I look forward to the Tactical Machining 80% frames coming out. They sent me one to play with and as I fit pieces in the Ares frame I double check the TM 80% frame along with my Springfield frame. The TM frame matches my Springfield frame perfectly, none of the others do. Just waiting on a jig to start work on the TM frame.

Return to “Handguns”