Recommend me a SHTF handgun from this list

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

steppenwolf

Re: Recommend me a SHTF handgun from this list

Post by steppenwolf » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Defective list.
Dump one of the 9-minimeters. Then dump all of the .40S&Ws.
Get a G20 or G29 in 10mm - more accurate than the .40; more powerful than both the minimeter and the .40.
'Nuff said.

8-)

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:31 am

Yeah.

No.

Carry on. :roll:
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:46 pm

Beowolf wrote:Yeah.
No.
Not sure if that was directed at me, Chief, but with either the G20 or G29 the OP, if he wants to, can pick up aftermarket barrels in .40S&W and.357 Sig and shoot those as well.

He'll save $$$ over time, having dumped all the .40 guns, by owning 1 10mm Glock that shoots 4 calibers with just a barrel-swap: 10mm, .40S&W, .357 Sig and, if the OP wants to play with the one and only cartridge that actually gave the 9mm a pair of Big-Boy nads, the 9x25Dillon.***
And all he needs are the spare tubes - these cartridges run fine off the stock 10mm mags & recoil assembly.

FWIW, he'll probably shoot the .40 more accurately out of one of the Glock 10mms because (1) these tubes, typically, tend to be of "match-grade" specs, like the .40 tube I got from from Bar-Sto for my G20 with the tight chamber, and (2) because he's shooting it out of a 10mm/.45acp size gun, rather than a 9mm-size gun, which most .40s tend to be.

What's not to like? 'Course, he'll save even more if he's into reloading.

8-)

*** For said Big-Boy nads, see:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalo ... Path=21_24

http://www.underwoodammo.com/9x25mmdillon.aspx

Siggy01

Post by Siggy01 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:16 pm

I would have to vote for the M&P9c. M&P parts are pretty abundant since a lot of police agencies are now carrying them besides Glocks. I do like the way XDm's feel though, I probably wouldn't leave it behind if shtf. Extra pistol as a back up or in case you need to arm a friend. I got my glock 23, then a .22 pistol, and my AR-15 for my set up. The .22 doesn't weigh much nor the extra ammo.
"What do you mean pass the salt!? Just eat me and get it over with!"

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:20 pm

steppenwolf,
Don't like the feel of Glocks, don't shoot Glocks for shit, so Glocks are rightfully not on my list nor in my possession.

The flexibility of that model notwithstanding, it's not for me. That's why it wasn't among the possibles.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
ZS Wiki

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:10 pm

Crypto: MY father in law managed to break the tailcap on his TLR-1 at the hinge. Since he never realy shoots much, and does no rough stuff with his Glock 17, I can't imagine how that happened.

OP: The M&P is a well-respected platform by a lot of the guys that shoot hardest and best. Dave M recently did a post on lasers and their uses in training and the real world. HERE it is.

Doc: Your home is lovely as shit, man. Just wanted to throw that out there. Also, isn't there a trigger upgrade that you like for the M&P?
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:50 am

Apex, baby. Apex. Makes the M&P trigger much moh betteh.

https://apextactical.com/store/product- ... pid35.html
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:30 am

Ten Eight wrote:Apex, baby. Apex. Makes the M&P trigger much moh betteh.

This. With the metal trigger.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:00 pm

The trigger gets better?? I love the trigger already...

Does this kit/trigger remove the trigger safety mechanism, though?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
-
ZS Wiki

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Beowolf wrote:The trigger gets better?? I love the trigger already...

Does this kit/trigger remove the trigger safety mechanism, though?

No.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Oh, good. Will look into that. Thanks!

-
ZS Wiki

Neville

Post by Neville » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:28 pm

I would agree that they are all good guns.

However - "whatever you want, dude!" isn't very helpful advice. So I'll go with process of elimination.

I will strike SIG from the list first off. Yes a lot of people like them. I don't happen to be one of them. Their customer service sucks. And I personally don't like the ergos - YMMV.

Next up, the XD. I like XD's generally speaking - we have 3 of them at our house. That said, a compact poly frame gun can be a handful, more so when it's chambered in .40, and more so when it has a high bore axis. The XD subcompact comes out on the short end with all three. If you shoot it well enough to qualify with it... feel free to disregard my comments.

Finally, we come to the S&W M&P 9. Lower bore axis, generally competent pistol with good ergos... it used to be my money would go with .40 cal (it's what two of my 3 carry guns are chambered in) but honestly 9mm ammo has improved greatly in the past 5-6 years while my carry suite has been evolving. I don't think that choosing the M&P as your top tier choice for bad situations would be a bad idea at all.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:08 am

steppenwolf wrote:Defective list.
Dump one of the 9-minimeters. Then dump all of the .40S&Ws.
Get a G20 or G29 in 10mm - more accurate than the .40; more powerful than both the minimeter and the .40.
'Nuff said.

8-)
Silly question as those are both worked over, but isn't the smaller of the two either a 2nd Gen or a 26/27ish?

I thought all the G29's had rails out front, and even with being worked over the smaller doesn't look like a G29 to me...

NXP

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:47 pm

steppenwolf wrote:
Beowolf wrote:Yeah.
No.
Not sure if that was directed at me, Chief, but with either the G20 or G29 the OP, if he wants to, can pick up aftermarket barrels in .40S&W and.357 Sig and shoot those as well.

He'll save $$$ over time, having dumped all the .40 guns, by owning 1 10mm Glock that shoots 4 calibers with just a barrel-swap: 10mm, .40S&W, .357 Sig and, if the OP wants to play with the one and only cartridge that actually gave the 9mm a pair of Big-Boy nads, the 9x25Dillon.***
And all he needs are the spare tubes - these cartridges run fine off the stock 10mm mags & recoil assembly.

FWIW, he'll probably shoot the .40 more accurately out of one of the Glock 10mms because (1) these tubes, typically, tend to be of "match-grade" specs, like the .40 tube I got from from Bar-Sto for my G20 with the tight chamber, and (2) because he's shooting it out of a 10mm/.45acp size gun, rather than a 9mm-size gun, which most .40s tend to be.

What's not to like? 'Course, he'll save even more if he's into reloading.

8-)

*** For said Big-Boy nads, see:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalo ... Path=21_24

http://www.underwoodammo.com/9x25mmdillon.aspx
And in SHTF, you never have to worry about anyone stealing your ammo......

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:29 pm

I have to admit, I'm shocked by the repeated exclusion of the Sig. To be honest, it was my first choice...

I really do need to get to the range and compare these in a more adequate way. If I only had the time...
-
ZS Wiki

solrac7
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
28 days later

Post by solrac7 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:14 pm

My experience with the SIG's is small, but I didn't care for them - they didn't fit me well, and at the time I didn't care for the double/single trigger. Most everybody I know who has them loves them, so if it fits you and works, run with it.

As for lasers, the only gun I have one on is my Kel-Tec P32 pocket carry - it came that way - I like it mainly because it breaks up the outline of the pistol in pocket (looks like a wallet) and the actual sights on the gun are near non-existent (I can put all 8 shots in a paper plate at 8 yards with the sights in bright daylight, but anything dim it's got to be the laser or up close and personal).

For a true SHTF scenario, I would think larger magazines and ammo availability ( 9 or 40 are both widely used by civilians and gov. officials) as well as concealment would be major factors - you don't want to use it, and you don't want to call attention to yourself in any way, but if you need it, you want lots of ammo available.

Just my 2 cents.

In my SHTF scenario, I'm staying home unless forced to go out, then I'm probably taking the Glock 17 and 26.
"I met a girl who sang the blues - asked her for some happy news - she just smiled and turned away..."

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Ten Eight wrote:Apex, baby. Apex. Makes the M&P trigger much moh betteh.

Oh yeah! I plan on getting a APEX trigger job on my M&P. There are a few different options as far as that goes.

I was considering putting a Crimson Trace Laser Grip on my M&P9c but decided against it. Also I won't be putting a Weapon Light on it either. APEX trigger job and one extra 12 round magazine will be all I will do to it. Already have Warren Tactical Night Sights ready to be installed.

So yeah my vote is the M&P9c. Not just because I own one too but because you are more familiar with yours then the others. I was also looking at the Sig P226 and found it to be a little to thick of a grip for me. I love the Sig P226 and P229 but for Home Defense or Open Carry only. XDs are very accurate but I still wonder a little about the reliabilty of them.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Softscrubb

Post by Softscrubb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:55 pm

I think the best choice is to not buy any more guns and really train on the firearms you have before you decide.

One of the most important things to consider, when considering guns.. variety and what you will carry is 'muscle memory'.

Two examples of this fall into your questions and firearms.

1. If you primarily shoot/train with a handgun that is DAO or DA/SA then you want to buy guns and train with that type of gun consistently. Muscle memory is going to take over and you will shoot or not shoot based on the habits you develop while training. Yes, in a slow and consistent training opportunity you will remember the hammer release that you do not normally use or remember that each round is DAO if you normally use a DA/SA, but in a firefight and critical situation you may not remember this and it could cause you seconds or longer if you need to mentally figure something out.

2. If you primarily shoot/train with a handgun that has a thumb safety or does not have a thumb safety then you want to buy and train on similar systems. Nothing is going to ruin a gunfight faster than forgetting to sweep the release with your thumb as part of the drawing and the gun goes click when you need it to go bang.

These things may seem minor, but they are not something you want to deal with in a critical situation. It means that boutique firearm that has the fancy trigger, safety and hammer that you never trained on but thought was cool to own.. and ends up being the only firearm you are able to salvage/get to in the ZPAW is going to be a pain in the arse and could seriously cause your death.

Of your firearms.. Smith & Wesson M&P 9c, 12 round mags Simple.. consistent and the one you have shot the most...
Doc Torr wrote: I'd imagine the Scots will be in for a world of hurt if the sheep get really mad. Maybe they should start with some foreplay now, to soften the blow?

Return to “Handguns”