More Fucking Glock problems- Trigger Safety broken

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: More Fucking Glock problems- Trigger Safety broken

Post by crypto » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:33 am

jackorchuck wrote:Why bother, get a good 1911 there is a good reason it has been in front line service for 100 years.
Primarily because the Hague convention prohibits expanding ammo.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:43 pm

crypto wrote:
jackorchuck wrote:Why bother, get a good 1911 there is a good reason it has been in front line service for 100 years.
Random thoughts...
I certainly wouldn't say that a primary reason for the 1911's long service is due to the Hague convention, but it may be one of the many reasons why the 1911 has served and continues to serve. However, for obvious reasons, it's days as a service pistol are numbed.

Jack,
-Telling the OP to fix a $30 (max) problem by buying a new gun is pretty silly. Of course, I'd just call 'em.
- It's not like 1911s never have issues. On personal 1911s, I've had to have the plunger tube re-staked (around 6000 rds), stripped grip screws re-staked and shot a recoil spring plug down range (about 10,000 rds). I'm not talking trash or trying to make this a VS thread. The 1911 is my favorite. Pistol. Ever. However, I'm not blind.
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Matt E. wrote:
crypto wrote:
Random thoughts...
I certainly wouldn't say that a primary reason for the 1911's long service is due to the Hague convention, but it may be one of the many reasons why the 1911 has served and continues to serve. However, for obvious reasons, it's days as a service pistol are numbed.

Jack,
-Telling the OP to fix a $30 (max) problem by buying a new gun is pretty silly. Of course, I'd just call 'em.
- It's not like 1911s never have issues. On personal 1911s, I've had to have the plunger tube re-staked (around 6000 rds), stripped grip screws re-staked and shot a recoil spring plug down range (about 10,000 rds). I'm not talking trash or trying to make this a VS thread. The 1911 is my favorite. Pistol. Ever. However, I'm not blind.
That was more my point with my admittedly snarky round count question. Mechanical devices wear out through use. If you shoot enough, eventually something will break. 1911 =/= magic bullet.

jackorchuck
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Hord

Post by jackorchuck » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Spd164 wrote:
jackorchuck wrote:Why bother, get a good 1911 there is a good reason it has been in front line service for 100 years. I have not had to replace any springs or had any failures in any of my 1911s.
Round count on your most used 1911?
Colt Mk1V Series 70 purchased 1980 approx 23,000
Colt 38 super manufactured 1931 owned by me since 1982 approx 12,000

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:35 pm

jackorchuck wrote:
Spd164 wrote:
jackorchuck wrote:Why bother, get a good 1911 there is a good reason it has been in front line service for 100 years. I have not had to replace any springs or had any failures in any of my 1911s.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 pm

So you have shot about 700 rounds a year out of the one with the highest round counts.

Get that in a day with the same gun with little to no maintenance and no malfunctions...

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

jackorchuck

Post by jackorchuck » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Chris@MTCT wrote:So you have shot about 700 rounds a year out of the one with the highest round counts.

Get that in a day with the same gun with little to no maintenance and no malfunctions...

Chris I totally agree, 1911s and Browning Hi Powers have a track record that modern plastic and alloy handguns will never match.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:04 pm

jackorchuck wrote:
Chris@MTCT wrote:So you have shot about 700 rounds a year out of the one with the highest round counts.

Chris I totally agree, 1911s and Browning Hi Powers have a track record that modern plastic and alloy handguns will never match.

I think you missed what I was saying.

I'm saying that what you shoot in a year out of a pistol some shoot in a day or a weekend training.

Look at what Vickers and Hack say about the 1911 platform and how much work they recommend to do to keep one up and running during hard use.

sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:14 pm

jackorchuck wrote:
Spd164 wrote:
23,000 rounds with no stoppages? If your 1911 has fired 23,000 flawless rounds and you have done no maintenance beyond cleaning, I will eat my fucking hat. Mechanical shit wears out. It's a simple fact. With a round count that high I find it very hard to believe that you have replaced nothing throughout the life of the gun.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:17 pm

Spd164 wrote:
jackorchuck wrote:
Spd164 wrote:
23,000 rounds with no stoppages? If your 1911 has fired 23,000 flawless rounds and you have done no maintenance beyond cleaning, I will eat my fucking hat. Mechanical shit wears out. It's a simple fact. With a round count that high I find it very hard to believe that you have replaced nothing throughout the life of the gun.
Its less then 60 rounds a month for the last 33 years man. His factory included mags probably still work.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:50 pm

Its less then 60 rounds a month for the last 33 years man. His factory included mags probably still work.
That made me laugh loud enough my wife asked what I was reading. Priceless. I've run a lot of rounds through 1911's in competitions and practice. Replaced quite a few parts as well to keep them running. As you would with most race guns. I've replaced fewer parts on my glocks with just as many rounds. 1911's are great guns, not the answer to everything however, neither are glocks. To each their own, or whatever floats your boat. Me I like them all.
ZS#4545

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:15 pm

Jackorchuck before Ammogeddon 2013 I shot more rounds out of this gun every 2 weeks than you did out of your highest round count pistol every year. I shot the near 30K rounds through this pistol in about 18 months... granted a lot of that was with the .22LR slide because you used to be able to find the rare and elusive .22 Bulk Pack in actual physical stores :shock:
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:38 am

Chris@MTCT wrote:
Spd164 wrote:
jackorchuck wrote:
Spd164 wrote: Round count on your most used 1911?
Damn, when you break it down like that it certainly sounds a lot more plausible I guess. I still find it difficult to believe that in 33 years of shooting, he's never experienced any issues.

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Even with that relatively light useage, still having the original springs in there for that many rounds is just battering the hell out of the frame. The standard weight, 16 pound recoil spring that most factory guns come with is rated for about 2000 rounds before replacement. After that, it may well still be intact, but it's not doing its job. The frame is getting kicked in the teeth by every round that goes down the barrel.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jackorchuck

Post by jackorchuck » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:59 am

To all my critics
I served in the Army 1969-1995, during much of that time I spent on average 150 days away from home each year, in addition I served in the US 3 years and UK 2 years. I did not take my private firearms overseas with me. I was also married and have 3 kids which reduced time that could be spent on the range. Finally I was mainly interested in Practical Rifle, pistols were secondary. This might have some bearing on my low ammo count percieved by my critics.

My Colt 45 had the following modifications, original sight replaced with King-Tappen type high profile fixed sights and a flat mainspring housing just after purchase. In 1987 I fitted a full length guide rod and changed the spring every 2-3 years. Yes I had stoppages every now and again mainly due to faulty magazines. No breakage of parts or gunsmithing required in that time. Load 5 grains Bullseye with mostly a 230grain FMG bullet.

In 1997 I joined a PMC and served in Africa 12 months in 1998 and 2000 and the Trashcan 2004 and 2007.

Our Sissy Nanny Government took my semi auto rifles off me in 1996 and took my Colt 45, S&W 1006 10mm and S&W 44 Magnum in 2002. Now that I am retired and over 60 I am shooting a Colt 38 super but its not the same.

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:11 am

Jack,
Speaking for myself, I wasn't being a critic. Only offering current info that I believe to shed light on your comment.
The 1911 is my favorite pistol. I have no problem with the notion that before glock, SIG, HK and M&P pistols did ANYTHING, the 1911 did EVERYTHING.
I have taken classes that were specifically aimed at the use of the 1911 pistol as a carry or duty gun. I have trained with the two instructors mentioned as well as others. I am intimately familiar with the negative aspects of the 1911. However, I'm just as familiar with what it did and still does very well.
The point is, no matter how great the 1911 is or was, it in no way detracts from how well the newer batches of guns perform. Religious 1911 guys (not to be confused with "1911 guys") have no problem accepting that advantages of newer designs.
Last edited by Matt E. on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:48 am

jackorchuck wrote:To all my critics
I served in the Army 1969-1995, during much of that time I spent on average 150 days away from home each year, in addition I served in the US 3 years and UK 2 years. I did not take my private firearms overseas with me. I was also married and have 3 kids which reduced time that could be spent on the range. Finally I was mainly interested in Practical Rifle, pistols were secondary. This might have some bearing on my low ammo count percieved by my critics.

My Colt 45 had the following modifications, original sight replaced with King-Tappen type high profile fixed sights and a flat mainspring housing just after purchase. In 1987 I fitted a full length guide rod and changed the spring every 2-3 years. Yes I had stoppages every now and again mainly due to faulty magazines. No breakage of parts or gunsmithing required in that time. Load 5 grains Bullseye with mostly a 230grain FMG bullet.

In 1997 I joined a PMC and served in Africa 12 months in 1998 and 2000 and the Trashcan 2004 and 2007.

Our Sissy Nanny Government took my semi auto rifles off me in 1996 and took my Colt 45, S&W 1006 10mm and S&W 44 Magnum in 2002. Now that I am retired and over 60 I am shooting a Colt 38 super but its not the same.
Uh...cool story bro...

What the hell are you even talking about? So you went from claiming zero issues in that timespan with your 1911 to saying you had "stoppages every now and then". You also reneged on your claim that you did no work to the pistol, because now you are saying that it was modified, AND you changed springs when they wore.

Your original "hurr durr get a 1911 and you won't ever have any issues" comment was dumb. I think we both know that.

And as far as the borderline political, nanny government comments about having your guns taken, uh, yeah I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole. You may want to familiarize yourself with the forum rules on political discussion before you type something out of line somewhere.

Return to “Handguns”