DIY Kydex thread?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Blacksheep

Re: DIY Kydex thread?

Post by Blacksheep » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:20 am

I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Bueller?

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Rebel Pariah wrote:Image
I'm not a usually a Skull and Bones kinda guy,.. but that's cute.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:58 pm

I've tried to get a good skull impression, but the teeth never come through right,

eta, Cute? ,... I mean I'll take a compliment :lol: just wouldn't be my first word choice

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:19 pm

Found a scrap of mirage and I've always wanted to make something out of it
(In other news I totally see how little flex this stuff has, tried to score and snap like usual, half shattered :oops: )

Why I made this? Not totally sure... Don't even smoke :lol:
I can also invert it, it's nearly a perfect seal , might apply some kind of sealant to the edge, make it perfectly waterproof?

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Rebel Pariah wrote:I've tried to get a good skull impression, but the teeth never come through right,

eta, Cute? ,... I mean I'll take a compliment :lol: just wouldn't be my first word choice
It was a compliment. First word that came to me. To small to be goofy, not "biker skull" enough to be stupid, and going with the hand instead of a skull was unexpected in a cool kinda way. Skull and bones decor can jump the shark quickly. This is just enough to be cool.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:07 pm

brothaman wrote:
Rebel Pariah wrote:I've tried to get a good skull impression, but the teeth never come through right,

It was a compliment. First word that came to me. To small to be goofy, not "biker skull" enough to be stupid, and going with the hand instead of a skull was unexpected in a cool kinda way. Skull and bones decor can jump the shark quickly. This is just enough to be cool.
My deeper meaning/joke was "from my cold dead hands"

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:23 am

Made Pyzik and his misses trigger cover holsters
These things are nice, let him cut his own paracord since it's for frizzle
These may be small but they are very secure yet easy to draw... I hang the gun by the cord and bounce it lol, not even a wiggle... But pull and snaps right out

Trail hopper if your stalking my posts, lemme know if you want one :wink:

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Lots of dremeling today

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:39 pm

Good work Rebel Pariah. That radio holster is slick. Makes me want a radio just so I can use its holster.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Thu May 12, 2016 11:27 am

Bizump.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu May 12, 2016 12:46 pm

Thanks Blacksheep. Every picture you post gives me ideas.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Mon May 23, 2016 1:55 am

I got out of the game,
Moved to a different section of the firearms industry, at this point I'm pretty tight with a major kydex and injection molded holster company I just rock that stuff

I do miss the diy nature of it tho,

I still remember many of the little tricks I picked up along the way, post what you make and I'll try to make suggestions if you want

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:10 pm

I'm really thinking hard about investing the money into getting set up with kydex making, between holsters for the wife it just starts to add up in cost quick, that and I could help family out by giving them decent holsters right off the bat.

Wanting to make a MOLLE compatible holster to put on my battle belt, any advice for that?

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Molle comparability isn't that hard, just use the aprorpriate hardware like molle loks or I've given thought to using malice clips, they often have screw holes in them already

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:51 pm

Anyone made a Kydex mag carrier for a 20rd Pmag?
Switched to a plain pistol belt so I no longer need MOLLE compatibility with my stuff, looking to make a holster for my SCCY and a 20rd Pmag. If I have enough Kydex leftover I'll try to make a double pistol mag carrier.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:32 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:Anyone made a Kydex mag carrier for a 20rd Pmag?
Switched to a plain pistol belt so I no longer need MOLLE compatibility with my stuff, looking to make a holster for my SCCY and a 20rd Pmag. If I have enough Kydex leftover I'll try to make a double pistol mag carrier.
I imagine it's a lot like a 30 round magazine carrier, only shorter... [emoji12]

How wide is your pistol belt? How do you plan to mount it? What belt? Plain black? There are a couple of simple kydex designs out there which work well you could purchase... or emulate. G-Code, Safariland, and Bladetech come to mind.

I have an old US Grunt Gear single AR mag pouch I can slide onto a belt in a pinch. I'm currently using a lot of KYWI pouches on gear, but they're all made for molle far as I know. You could probably make a nylon belt pouch like that without too much trouble and fab a kydex pinch insert for it, if you really wanted. Or you could buy a LAB belt panel from AWS and connect the molle to the belt.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:31 pm

ashwednesday wrote:
I imagine it's a lot like a 30 round magazine carrier, only shorter... [emoji12]

How wide is your pistol belt? How do you plan to mount it? What belt? Plain black? There are a couple of simple kydex designs out there which work well you could purchase... or emulate. G-Code, Safariland, and Bladetech come to mind.

I have an old US Grunt Gear single AR mag pouch I can slide onto a belt in a pinch. I'm currently using a lot of KYWI pouches on gear, but they're all made for molle far as I know. You could probably make a nylon belt pouch like that without too much trouble and fab a kydex pinch insert for it, if you really wanted. Or you could buy a LAB belt panel from AWS and connect the molle to the belt.

I actually changed my mind with the Pmag carrier :rofl: I currently run one of the BFG TenSpeed belt pouches for a 30rd Pmag, and a 20rd works in it decently. The BFG is lighter and more compact than any Kydex carrier I could make, reinsertion is really a pipe dream under stress though which is one thing a Kydex carrier would have over it.
For my belt, I'm just running a simple 1 1/2" web belt with SRB that I've lined with velcro on the inside so my pouches don't move. I had a MOLLE belt but it was too bulky for my tastes and I didn't want to spend $$$ on a good MOLLE belt.
I did make my first Kydex holster: https://scontent-mia1-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=592330E7
I did grind some more of the excess Kydex off to reduce the bulk though. This will get scrapped for a better Kydex holster when I get the clamps and Dremel to make my kydex process a lot easier, I just sat on my Kydex press while it formed and used my dog nail grinder for the Kydex, still have plenty of Kydex left from my kit from DIYHolster.

ashwednesday

Post by ashwednesday » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:39 am

ManInBlack316 wrote:
ashwednesday wrote:

I actually changed my mind with the Pmag carrier :rofl: I currently run one of the BFG TenSpeed belt pouches for a 30rd Pmag, and a 20rd works in it decently. The BFG is lighter and more compact than any Kydex carrier I could make, reinsertion is really a pipe dream under stress though which is one thing a Kydex carrier would have over it.
For my belt, I'm just running a simple 1 1/2" web belt with SRB that I've lined with velcro on the inside so my pouches don't move. I had a MOLLE belt but it was too bulky for my tastes and I didn't want to spend $$$ on a good MOLLE belt.
I did make my first Kydex holster: https://scontent-mia1-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=592330E7
I did grind some more of the excess Kydex off to reduce the bulk though. This will get scrapped for a better Kydex holster when I get the clamps and Dremel to make my kydex process a lot easier, I just sat on my Kydex press while it formed and used my dog nail grinder for the Kydex, still have plenty of Kydex left from my kit from DIYHolster.
Nice work!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Return to “Handguns”