New XDs

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

feedthedog

New XDs

Post by feedthedog » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:35 pm

I went into the store to pick up some sort of 22LR pistol, and walked out with the exact opposite.....

I have yet to shoot it, but I have high hopes. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good clip on IWB holster?

And for comparison next to my LCP and 4in XD9:

Ike

Re: New XDs

Post by Ike » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:39 pm

I want one!!!

Siggy01

Post by Siggy01 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:03 pm

Almost bought the same exact gun.

Check these out for holsters:

http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SE ... d-holsters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"What do you mean pass the salt!? Just eat me and get it over with!"

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"

Post by Tobias05 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Nice!

I have had great luck with my glaco kingtuk. It makes my glock 19 disappear...

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:51 pm

I haven't even shot it and I'm trying to figure out how to modify it.... Sometimes I really hate myself.

I know there are a million good reasons not to do it, but I really want to put a red dot on this thing. I've shot pistols with red dots before, and I really dig it, but I couldn't justify it. At least this thing has a really short sight radius, so that pretty much means that I NEED one. Right?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 pm

feedthedog wrote:I haven't even shot it and I'm trying to figure out how to modify it.... Sometimes I really hate myself.

I know there are a million good reasons not to do it, but I really want to put a red dot on this thing. I've shot pistols with red dots before, and I really dig it, but I couldn't justify it. At least this thing has a really short sight radius, so that pretty much means that I NEED one. Right?
Fuckit man, do it. Just go as small as possible.

I wonder if a USFA Zip gun on there would be considered a VFG?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:29 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I wonder if a USFA Zip gun on there would be considered a VFG?
It would be a pain in the ass to find an IWB holster, and literally a pain in the ass. But it would could in handy for the times that you need to use the USFA Zip for it's intended purpose.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:55 am

feedthedog wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I wonder if a USFA Zip gun on there would be considered a VFG?
It would be a pain in the ass to find an IWB holster, and literally a pain in the ass. But it would could in handy for the times that you need to use the USFA Zip for it's intended purpose.
Plinking while doing combat rolls?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:02 am

I can't believe that I'm seriously looking at this....

Is the RMR really the only way to go for pistols? I have a fastfire on the AR, and that works because I turn it on/off when I take it out of the safe. How do you manage battery life on red dots for carry guns?

Siggy01

Post by Siggy01 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:31 pm

If your really considering a red dot or something along those lines, spend the extra money and get a crimson trace laser. You get what you pay for.
"What do you mean pass the salt!? Just eat me and get it over with!"

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:11 pm

I like the XDS, my uncle has one. I'd say if you want a RDS sight, rock on. I'd also suggest finding some of those extended grip mags as well.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:04 pm

I got one for Christmas. Absolutely love it. It's surprisingly accurate and docile for such a small pistol shooting .45.
R.A.S.P!
.. ... . . .,, .... ., , ,.,, ,,, .., ,.. .. ,.. , .... . .,. . ,,..,, ,.,. .,. ,.,, .,,. , ,,, .,.,.,

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Siggy01 wrote:If your really considering a red dot or something along those lines, spend the extra money and get a crimson trace laser. You get what you pay for.
You can see the crimson trace on my XD9 in the second picture. It's not bad, and it makes for a good nightstand gun, but I don't think that it's the direction that I want to go with the XDS.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:58 pm

feedthedog wrote:
Siggy01 wrote:If your really considering a red dot or something along those lines, spend the extra money and get a crimson trace laser. You get what you pay for.
You can see the crimson trace on my XD9 in the second picture. It's not bad, and it makes for a good nightstand gun, but I don't think that it's the direction that I want to go with the XDS.
Lasers don't replace red dots in any way, and I think getting the slide milled and an RMR etc installed would cost at least as much as a laser.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:11 pm

As far as red dots on pistols go: I found this thread on warriortalk http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.p ... tol-Skills

Looks like most folks are going with the RMR milled into the slide. I'm a bit wary of milling the slide, and the XDs doesn't have a ton of slide to mill anyways. I'm thinking that a dovetail mount is probably the way to go. The problem is that this is going to be a $500+ modification... Worst case scenario, I guess I can go back to stock, put the RMR on the AR, and move the fastfire from the AR to the shotgun.

I guess I need to start saving some dollars.

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:36 am

As far as red dots on pistols go: I found this thread on warriortalk http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.p ... tol-Skills" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like most folks are going with the RMR milled into the slide. I'm a bit wary of milling the slide, and the XDs doesn't have a ton of slide to mill anyways. I'm thinking that a dovetail mount is probably the way to go. The problem is that this is going to be a $500+ modification... Worst case scenario, I guess I can go back to stock, put the RMR on the AR, and move the fastfire from the AR to the shotgun.

IRT to your original question: no, the shorter sight radius does not mean that you need a red dot or even a laser on it. These pistols are still very accurate despite the shorter sight radius. Even true mouse guns like the P3AT and LCP (which barely have any sights) are plenty accurate for their intended purpose.
The rest of this is just my opinion... The XDs is a dedicated concealed carry pistol. It's designed to be small, light, comfortable to wear, and dishes out sufficient firepower to get you out of a jam. Hanging a reflex sight on it will obviate it's advantages. It will become bulky and uncomfortable, it won't fit any good concealed carry holsters, and eventually you won't want to carry it.
Red dot pistols are pretty cool and I can see why you want one, but if it were me I'd save that for a dedicated home defense build and put it on a full size pistol with some capacity, where the added bulk isn't a disadvantage.

Best,
-Slashy
R.A.S.P!
.. ... . . .,, .... ., , ,.,, ,,, .., ,.. .. ,.. , .... . .,. . ,,..,, ,.,. .,. ,.,, .,,. , ,,, .,.,.,

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Just out of curiosity, I crunched the numbers to see just how much the reduced sight radius affects accuracy.
Based on the average height male with 20/20 vision, distance from the eye to the rear sight is 32" and visual resolution of 1 MoA, a "perfectly shot" pistol would have the following error attributable to sight radius:

Kel-Tec P3AT: sight radius = 4 1/16" error = 8.88 MoA
Springfield XD-s: sight radius= 5 5/16" error = 7.02 MoA
Beretta 92FS: sight radius= 6 1/4" error= 6.12 MoA

So for fairly long range pistol engagements (25 yds), the P3AT should be expected to put it's rounds within 2 1/4" of where you aimed, while a Beretta 92FS would be able to do slightly better, at 1 1/2".
Put another way, a "perfect" shooter would be able to take a head shot with a 92FS out to 50 yards, he could take the same shot with the XD-s at 43 yds or with the P3AT at 34 yds.
Now... this is not to say that there aren't other factors involved, but the moral of the story is that short sight radii don't hurt accuracy as much as most people assume.
R.A.S.P!

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:50 pm

GoSlash27 wrote:
As far as red dots on pistols go: I found this thread on warriortalk http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.p ... tol-Skills" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IRT to your original question: no, the shorter sight radius does not mean that you need a red dot or even a laser on it. These pistols are still very accurate despite the shorter sight radius. Even true mouse guns like the P3AT and LCP (which barely have any sights) are plenty accurate for their intended purpose.
The rest of this is just my opinion... The XDs is a dedicated concealed carry pistol. It's designed to be small, light, comfortable to wear, and dishes out sufficient firepower to get you out of a jam. Hanging a reflex sight on it will obviate it's advantages. It will become bulky and uncomfortable, it won't fit any good concealed carry holsters, and eventually you won't want to carry it.
Red dot pistols are pretty cool and I can see why you want one, but if it were me I'd save that for a dedicated home defense build and put it on a full size pistol with some capacity, where the added bulk isn't a disadvantage.

Best,
-Slashy
While I don't disagree on almost every point, I'm probably still going to do it eventually just because I think it is cool. In this case want>need

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:06 pm

feedthedog wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:

Best,
-Slashy
While I don't disagree on almost every point, I'm probably still going to do it eventually just because I think it is cool. In this case want>need
'Kay :)
When you get it done, I'd like to see pics of it
Best,
-Slashy
R.A.S.P!

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:28 pm

GoSlash27 wrote:I got one for Christmas. Absolutely love it. It's surprisingly accurate and docile for such a small pistol shooting .45.
Whoa, that little guy is a .45? Damn, I like!

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:10 pm

maldon007 wrote:
GoSlash27 wrote:I got one for Christmas. Absolutely love it. It's surprisingly accurate and docile for such a small pistol shooting .45.
Whoa, that little guy is a .45? Damn, I like!
You've really got to shoot it to appreciate it's awesome- tasticness. It's not that it's such a small pistol dishing out .45 that's so amazing, it's that it doesn't shoot like a small pistol dishing out .45. I don't know how they did that, but my hat's off to them.
By comparison, my previous CCW pistol was the P3AT, which shot the same number of rounds in .380 ACP in a true pocket sized package. That little thing is a monster to shoot. It's loud, flippy, and actually hurts when you shoot it. I can't put more than 50 rounds through it before my hands are too sore to do it anymore.
I always accepted that as a cost of doing business. A CCW pistol isn't supposed to be pleasant at the range. It's supposed to hurt the bad guy more than it hurts you, and range time with it is a necessary evil so that you can hit what you need to when TSHTF.
But the XDs isn't like that. Even though it's tiny and shoots .45, it's actually pleasant enough to be a range gun and has good accuracy.
I don't usually gush over handguns, but I am seriously impressed with this little bugger.
R.A.S.P!

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:30 pm

maldon007 wrote:Whoa, that little guy is a .45? Damn, I like!
I never felt like I didn't have enough gun with the 380, but this thing was just too awesome to not have. I think I need to shut up and go shoot it. For whatever reason I seem to have a ton of 45 and very little 9mm, so I guess I need to get out there.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:05 pm

feedthedog wrote:
So how does the Crimson trace work? Are you not happy with it? I have been thinking about adding one to my xd this spring.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:59 pm

Dawgboy wrote:So how does the Crimson trace work? Are you not happy with it? I have been thinking about adding one to my xd this spring.
The CT is a laser grip. It is that black octopus looking thing that is wrapped around the grip. There is a little button on the front of the grip octopus thing that activates the laser. It works pretty well for quick shots where you may not be able to pic up the sights. I think it is perfect for a nightstand gun where you dont know what position you will be firing from. It would be great if you had to shoot while still in bed, or keeping the gun close to your body where you can't see the sights. The weird swells on the octopus bug me a bit, but my hands are more like dog paws. The hand part is really big and the fingers are short and thick. It may be different for you, so see if you can get your hands on one.

I'm not as concerned about that for a carry gun. My schedule means that I only carry during specific circumstances. I can't carry at school and it seems silly at the gym. Really, I only need a gun when I go out to walk the dogs. I'm not too worried about being able to draw and step into a firing stance. My draw is decent, but years of martial arts mean that I step into a fighting stance without thinking. From there I can point shoot or pick up sights.

I really don't need a red dot, but I looked and nobody seems to have one on an XDs yet, so that makes me want to do it. Also, red dots on a pistol are just really awesome. I did a lot of close quarters rifle training in the military, so my eyes are accustomed to finding the dot and getting to work. It doesn't look like a RMR would add too much bulk in any of the places that matter, so carry shouldn't be a problem. Holsters may be a problem, but the worst case is that I get some custom kydex.

I'm probably stretching on the NEED for a RMR, but at least I know that I'm fooling myself.

Return to “Handguns”