What was your first Handgun?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Siggy01

What was your first Handgun?

Post by Siggy01 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:03 am

Just wanted to asked fellow ZS members what their first handgun was and what kind of experiences you had and learned from it.

My first handgun was a Ruger p95, I picked up a gun show for $300 bucks. It was blued, held 10+1 rounds, and was built like a tank for a polymer pistol. I spent a lot of time field stripping it, cocking and decocking it, and practiced loading the magazines with the provided speed loaded. I took it to the range every time and even used it as a ccw until I got something more easier to carry. I traded it off years ago for more refined firearms, but anytime I see one in a lgs, I always fondle it a bit and consider buying another just for nostalgia and because it'll always be the one gun I'm most familiar with.
"What do you mean pass the salt!? Just eat me and get it over with!"

thesupremeking

Re: What was your first Handgun?

Post by thesupremeking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:40 am

XD40
It was a pretty glorious piece, once I got my ccw I sold it to buy something less "chubby" so it could fit inside the pants a little easier. Once I have cash in hand I ended up buying a 1911 :lol: . Sort of defeated the purpose of selling it, but at the time it was winter so concealed carrying a full sized 1911 wasn't so hard and I REALLY liked it. As summer rolled around though with 105-110 degree temps, my shorts, Tshirt and flip flops didn't exactly make the 1911 easy to carry. I then had to go back and buy another smaller gun for carry in such conditions and went with a Ruger LCP. Although with the Ruger I would much rather try to get away then engage a bad guy. So now I wear my 1911 when I can, and the LCP when I absolutely can't carry the 1911.
To this day though I wish I never sold the XD, it was a great gun. It wasn't a looker though, and if I ever went to revisit the idea of a 40 S&W I would likely go for a Glock.

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:45 am

Ruger GP 100, 4 inch nicely blued. Still have it purchased it in 1987 about the oldest piece off personal property I have.
Beretta accept no substitute.

Shoveler
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: both versions of DotD, ZL, 48hrs. also book of eli, the road, i am legend,, not really zombie movies but illustration of grim paw realities.

Post by Shoveler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:49 am

Sig229, pretty nice and straight shooting piece once you get past that first long trigger pull, still have it but shoot mostly 40's in it as 357sig is just just too expensive to shoot.
"Where are you, you spongy, yellow, delicious bastards?"

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by LivelyToaster » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:52 am

Just covered this in another thread, S&W M&P 9mm. Stupidly sold it after hating the trigger. Carried a glock 17/21 for the last 5 years. Currently revisiting the S&W M&P platform. (Now that I got one with a real trigger.)

CCW, I've always carried full size, and I'll never stop. My wide shouldered frame allows this behaviour.

"As a rule of thumb, I'm wary of strangers that can royally jack up my life."

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:47 am

Smith & Wesson Sigma 40. Good gun with a horrible trigger. Sold it for an XD and never looked back.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:51 am

Glock 17
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Clout

Post by Clout » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:59 am

XDm 9. My wife bought it for me as a 25th birthday gift. It will some day be my son's.

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Colt 1991A1 Commander. I still kick myself regularly for trading it in.

Bought it for $350 way before I knew anything worthwhile about handguns. Carried it a lot, shot it very little. Traded it for a POS Kimber, because I was a retard. Eventually traded the Kimber for another Glock and never looked back. Wish I'd have held on to that little Colt though.

Barr
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Holy Trilogy of Dawn, Night and Day, Land of the Dead, Survival of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, Fido, Shaun of the Dead, hell all of them really

Post by Barr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:14 pm

Like Doc Dredd I had a Glock 17 as my first purchased pistol, damn shame I don't have it anymore, but while I had it I put her through hell and she kept asking for more.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:Fuck it I'm Zombie Squad. I got this shit

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:14 pm

Brand new Ruger Security Six.

Yes, I'm that old.

You kids and your plastic guns and all those bullets.

Back in my day guns were made out of heavy steel, if 5-6 rounds didn't finish the job you were expected to pistol whip them into submission.
WWSD?

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:06 pm

A six inch Smith 686 and a Beretta 92. The 686 was the the first pistol I ever shot. Dad gave them to me on my 21st BDay. Both were stolen from his house. I have a little FBI (feel bad inside) when I think about it.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm

CZ-52. Because it was $120. And surplus ammo was cheap. And I'm cheap. It seemed like a great match.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

estoteparati

Post by estoteparati » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:00 pm

xd(m) 3.8 compact in .45 acp

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Harrington & Richardson 9 shot revolver. .22 short, long, and long rifle. Single/double. Model 922. It was my dads, now its mine. It's got to be over 50 yrs old.

Edit: added model number. Edit: added pic.
Last edited by MacWa77ace on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"

Post by Tobias05 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:34 pm

The first handgun I purchased was a new Beretta 92FS. Shot much better than the worn out M9 I carried in Iraq the year before.

The first handgun I ever shot was a revolver of some sort, my grandma says it was a .357 but I was very little and haven't looked into it since.

I now carry a gen 3 glock 19, which was my second purchase. The 19 is much easier to conceal than the 92. The 92 has a "D" hammer spring to shorten up the trigger pull and has since been relegated to homestead duty.

My wife's first handgun is her gen 4 glock 19. I bought that for her :awesome: She's getting the hang of it.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:40 pm

PistolPete wrote:CZ-52. Because it was $120. And surplus ammo was cheap. And I'm cheap. It seemed like a great match.
Got one, love it, despite terrible ergonomics. Mine was $135 w/ 2 mags. I have three for it and count myself lucky.

Mine was a Navy Arms 1858 Remington Army black powder percussion gun. Bought (or stole it, whoever you may look at it) it for $15 from a guy who had found it in a deceased uncle's house in kit form and had no idea what it was. The exterior was not polished and the grips were blocks of rough shaped wood. It had never been fired. This was about 25-27 years ago.

I still have it, after my Dad and I spent a weekend polishing it and fashioning a pair of grips from rosewoods slabs I have to say it was the best $15 I ever spent! We were going to blue it but the gun polished up so nice we decided to leave it in the white. And the dark red rosewood grips just set the whole thing off. I have shot it as a second gun in cowboy matches using paper cartridges and bought a leather flap holster for it. She shoots fantastic with light or heavy charges and with the right caps she always goes bang.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Tobias05 wrote:The first handgun I purchased was a new Beretta 92FS. Shot much better than the worn out M9 I carried in Iraq the year before.
Hey me too, except I was a teenager, and that was 20 years ago. Still got it. Ran it at MilCopp last year*.

*which prompted me to get a Glock 34 :crazy:
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:47 pm

On my 21st birthday , I walked out of the gunshop with a brand new MKIII Browning Hi Power in 9mm .I had wanted one since I first became interested in handguns as a kid . I shot the hell out of it , . Eventually I added Novak sights and a ton of Cylinder and Slide parts .

A few years later I got in a financial bind and had to trade it to a friend so I could get a truck so I could get to work and back . He still has it .

I eventually replaced it and over time owned 3 more P35s , but that first one was always the most accurate for some reason .

Now I only own Glocks . :P
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:12 pm

My first handgun was a Colt Woodsman given to me by a favorite (dr)uncle. I miss that gun... It was stolen along with a bunch of other stuff many years ago...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Glock 17, first and only so far! Chopped the grip within a week of getting it :lol:
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Beretta 96FS. After all my subsequent purchases, it still remains my favorite. There's a lot to be said for a handgun that naturally fits the shooter.
R.A.S.P!
.. ... . . .,, .... ., , ,.,, ,,, .., ,.. .. ,.. , .... . .,. . ,,..,, ,.,. .,. ,.,, .,,. , ,,, .,.,.,

prekarious

Post by prekarious » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Full size H&K USP V3 in .45ACP
Ex wife sold it during one of my deployments. Has been replaced by another. USP may be the bottom line of the series but I personally love the way they shoot and the accuracy.
Participating in a gun buy back because you believe that the criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you believe that the neighbors have too many kids.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:14 pm

prekarious wrote:Full size H&K USP V3 in .45ACP
Ex wife sold it during one of my deployments. Has been replaced by another. USP may be the bottom line of the series but I personally love the way they shoot and the accuracy.
Whoa... I know that feeling...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Return to “Handguns”