Revolver versus Pistol

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Djchina777
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland being first favorite and Dawn of the Dead being my second

Revolver versus Pistol

Post by Djchina777 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 pm

Handguns are incredibly portable and equally as deadly as the next gun. From a cowboy's .44 revolver to a gangster's 9mm pistol, handguns vary as much as the people behind them but overall it comes down to two classes: revolvers and pistols. pistols get a ton more rounds in its magazine than a revolver's (usually) 6 round cylinders but on the other hand revolvers are near impossible to jam. reload time is a big problem with pistols being faster reloaders than revolvers but you can compensate with a speed loader for your revolver. so in truth its a battle between the pistol's speed and the revolver's reliability but i'd like to hear which one you guys would prefer to carry into a battle and which one you'd pick to defend your house in a home invasion or robbery. so which would you pick?

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Re: Revolver versus Pistol

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:04 pm

I'd say it's more of a battle between practicality, capacity, speed and performance vs nostalgia.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:29 pm

The one that is balances speed, power, capacity, and concealability.

Autopistols, ever since they stared holding more bullets, reloading faster, and managing recoil better than wheelguns.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Sins

Post by Sins » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Saw this a long time ago... And it was sooo worth searching quite a while to find.
doc66 wrote:
Visionz wrote:
zoiders wrote:Why do you want a revolver? as it's not going to offer a larger grip than a double stack self loader that holds 17 rounds like the Glock?

If your hands are as fleshy/fat as you claim then hammer bite from a revolver will be an issue as well unless you take a low grip.

I have longish fingers and they tend to find most stock medium frame revolvers with service grips a bit on the small side and I get overlap with finger nails digging in where I don't want them to.

Are you gripping a semi auto with your supporting hand wrapped thumb and web around the back of the master hand?
I would prefer a revolver because experiences I have had.
I have never owned a handgun, but have shot several throughout the years, both revolver and semi auto.
I can't remember the names and brands of them all. I have been bitten by a hammer before too.
The difference there was when I got bit by the hammer I just lowered my grip and kept on shooting. Where as, when a slide catches me, I have to unjam it first before I lower my grip.
Honestly for home defense I will be sticking with my shotgun.
If there is a zombie hourde invasion or multiple threats I have automatic rifles for that.
My concern here is one individual needing to be put down in self defense at 50yrds or less with only seconds to spare.
My theory is that with adrenaline pumping should a situation like that ever arise. A bite from a hammer or slide really wont matter.
What will matter is if I can't get a second shot off in time because the gun jams. And seriously if I can't put a man down in 6 shots, I probably am screwed anyway.
I will be looking at some of the semi autos listed in this thread though.
Thanks for all the advice
You are living in the 1930s. Maybe even way before that. Well, okay, the 1970s then.

I say those things because you are totally in the wrong about the semiautomatic pistol and it's "jam"ming.

First off, there are more parts to a revolver than your modern semiauto. The standard revolver has in some cases 72 parts to it. The modern semi auto 32 in some cases. The moving parts to a revolver? Eight in most cases, some more, depending on the design of the action. The semiauto; six, including the slide and barrel. If you take those out, four. Trigger, transfer bar, striker, striker block. The revolver is FAR more complicated than a pistol in so many ways; not just moving parts but exposed chambers and action to dirt and dust, and let's face it; a revolver truly shits where it eats. Because of the exposed chambers, the fouling from its own ammo can cause failures and slow reloads. I know this, I have taken two day classes with revolvers and spent time swabbing out my cylinder between courses of fire to keep it going. Revolvers are good for about three hundred rounds before things go wrong. I know you say "I'll only need six." But this is a prep site; what if you do need more? Or don't have the means to keep the thing cleaned out?

Much of the vaunted reliability of the revolver is a farce, based on the unreliable ammunition of the semiautos of yore. Not even the pistol themselves, but the ammunition that was used. Ammo design has come a very, very, long way since the FBI shootout in Miami (one of the instances that forced law enforcement and ammo manufacturers through pressure by the FBI to look at the way things were being done) and the improvements to ammo have made the semiauto probably a far more reliable piece of machinery than the revolver, also more effective. These days the revolver improvements in ammo have come because of the semiauto, not the other way around. It used to be that semiauto ammo was simply versions of the revolver ammo; until SuperVel came along in the 70s, no one really designed specifically for the semiauto. Then Winchester started developing the Silver Tip line for better accuracy and reliability (the round used by the FBI at the Miami shooting in their SW 669s) and all of a sudden Federal came out with the HydraShok, and the world changed for the semiauto. Super exciting times for defensive shooters in the 80s believe it or not.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:04 am

I've always wondered about speedloaders with revolvers as well. I can't say that I've used one enough to even be called a novice, but it seems that unless you got your wheel swing out from a locked position (meaning the cylinders are indexed to begin with) down really precise, that the proper alignment of a speedloader could be off by up to +/-180/N, N= number of cylinders in the gun. Course the bullets are usually tapered somewhat, so they will help self-align the speedloader to the chambers, but that seems much more complicated and error-prone than jamming a magazine into a magwell for a modern autoloader, just given the relative size and tolerances of the openings etc.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

alptraum

Post by alptraum » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:27 am

It's not a coincidence that virtually every organization that employs handguns and has a choice uses pistols and not revolvers...

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 am

And don't anybody bring up Jerry Mickuleck. "but but but did you ever see Jerry Mickulic reload blah blah whah whah" Save it.

I admit. My 642 gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling unlike any gun I've ever owned or held, but its that; a feeling. A Glock 19 or an M&P Shield rides with me everywhere.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:23 am

olbaid_dratsab wrote:And don't anybody bring up Jerry Mickuleck. "but but but did you ever see Jerry Mickulic reload blah blah whah whah" Save it.

I admit. My 642 gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling unlike any gun I've ever owned or held, but its that; a feeling. A Glock 19 or an M&P Shield rides with me everywhere.
Jerry's revolver reload time is what, a hair over a second and a half? I think Mine might be a cunt hair slower than that with a Sig. I'd bet an equally acclaimed pistolery could reload a pistol in under a second. Essentially, even a 1911 user is going to have more rounds on target in any given window than a revolver gunner.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:26 am

As usual, the wrong questions are asked.

There's little question when it comes to service type handguns the auto has it all over the revolver when the user is a fit individual thoroughly trained. However, throw in a few monkey wrenches like low upper body strength, weak physical grip, non-dedicated personnel and mediocre training and the revolver starts looking more attractive.

During my time at the range I've encountered many individuals with the above flaws who can barely operate their service pistols but among the older crowd they have a much better time with their backup revolvers. To charge a service pistol requires two hands on the gun to work the slide and some pectoral muscle. Limp-wristing can cause jams, requiring two hands to clear. I've seen people go through this and raise their hand to get my attention. I usually tell them out in the world if this happens you're not going to be able to call time out and have me teleport in to fix their gun for them.

Given a properly maintained revolver, and inspected ammo, a wheelgun should run like clockwork.

BTW, there's a S+W 640 Centennial loaded with 135gr +P Gold Dots on my hip RFN. I have no illusions I can take on a horde with 5 rounds, that's enough to clear a path to one of my rifles. Then there's my wife. If intruders thought they were in trouble BEFORE...
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:44 am

For me the handgun is a weapon of convenience, a backup gun to a rifle or shotgun. I practice with one for the off chance I have to go through an engagement with one, but I also train with the rifle. I think DaveM will agree with me on that.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Ansgar

Post by Ansgar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:54 am

I own a revolver, a 6" Smith & Wesson Military & Police in .38spl from the late 1940s/early 1950s. I keep it in my nightstand with a speedloader. I love my revolver and it's been dead nuts reliable for me. That said, I am saving up to get a Beretta M9 for several reasons, some of which are:

Capacity - S&W = 6, M9 = 15+1,

Reload ease and speed - reloading with a speedloader is fast and easy, but switching magazines is faster and easier,

both models have been tortured, used and abused in some of the harshest conditions possible and still functioned well with proper cleaning and maintenance.

I have other reasons as well for pursuing the purchase of an M9, but those are irrelevant to the discussion at hand, which I want to avoid derailing. Given modern design in weapons and ammunition, if the choice of wheelgun v autoloader arises, assuming similar levels of quality in weapon and munitions, I would choose the autoloader and work on my proficiency with that firearm.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:27 am

well i can't say much over what people already said.

i personally prefer revolver over pistol, but that a personal taste. each of them have great quality and both of them also have flaw.

my personal choice for a hand gun would be a revolver. probably a ruger redhawk in 357mag maybe 44mag. why ?
pro
stronger caliber than most pistol, in the field (if i could carry a handgun) i would prefer a 44mag than a 9mm. for self defense in a urban situation i guess you don't need more than 2 shot of 357 to stop a attacker (if you do, you'r in big trouble)
reliability (i don't say pistol aren't reliable, but the redhawk IS reliable )
accuracy: i found out that i'm more accurate with a revolver than a pistol. (i actually tried over half a dozen model of pistol and revolver)

con
slower reload (except if you use moon clip then it's as fast as a pistol)
can be heavier than most pistol

as i said, that my opinion, everyone have one, it can be true for some false for other but that mine.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:01 pm

While I think he is a little douchie and long winded, Nutnfancy on youtube did videos of shooting courses with revolvers with speedloaders and pistols, and even with speedloaders there is a noticable lag time with re-loading vs a pistol reload. The limited capacity and that "give me a second" reload with a revolver scares me enough that I rather take my chances with a rare, but possible jam with a pistol. I know I can "Tap and Rack" out of a jam quicker then I could reload a revolver with a speed loaded.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:12 pm

The one big reason revolvers are still around is magnum powered cartridges.

Auto's can be made to handle large, magnum rounds but they rapidly become comically huge, which is why we don't see many 454Casull auto's running around. I think Coonan maybe made one... but the 454 is just the start of the large magnums (excluding the 44Mag) which crawls through the 460, 470, and the 500S&W.

In sub 44Mag, it's a silly issue as auto's clearly have a distinct advantage.

NXP

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Having done some "speed loader" training using a S&W .44mag, I can attest to it being a pain in the ass and a bit slower than a semi-auto. I think Jor-el and others that chose to use revolvers do so because of the reliability of a well maintained revolver and the fact that they practice with it and choose to practice speed reloading as well (making an educate guess here that this last bit is true). I think both have pluses and minuses, so it really comes down to which one you want to go with. A revolver WILL require a much higher level of maintenance and training than a good semi-auto. It will also require reloading much more often than anything but a compact semi-auto or a single stack .45. A semi-auto gives you simplicity in use for the most part, but you must find the best ammo it likes and learn to shoot/reload it.

So really, the questions become "What are you going to use it for? Will you be carrying it as a CC piece? Will you have the time and money to train with it properly to the level required to make a revolver truly equal to a semi-auto as far as speed and reloading?"
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:35 pm

I love my wheelguns and enjoy shooting matches with them but when the chips are down its a pistol for me, simply for hit ratio... In most cases what is it, 10-18% at best? If I only have 7rds(S&W 686+) or 16rds out of my Glock22 before an empty gun reload, yeah I like capacity...
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Another thing is the ammo capacity , yes in the US you can have a high capacity mag ( even as big as 20 or 30 round) but in some place you cant have high cap mag, then you are reduce to only 8 to 10 round mag
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:24 pm

azrael99 wrote:Another thing is the ammo capacity , yes in the US you can have a high capacity mag ( even as big as 20 or 30 round) but in some place you cant have high cap mag, then you are reduce to only 8 to 10 round mag
True and that being said I'd rather have 10rds than the typical 6...
Then Id consider moving to a free(r) state! lol
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:27 pm

azrael99 wrote:Another thing is the ammo capacity , yes in the US you can have a high capacity mag ( even as big as 20 or 30 round) but in some place you cant have high cap mag, then you are reduce to only 8 to 10 round mag
Sort of a nonissue as you can't carry either. I mean you're going to have an easier time carrying a bolt action rifle than any pistol. Also, that whole bit about stopping power was laughably wrong.

Sins

Post by Sins » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Alright, if someone had a revolver and a SA pointed at you, which would you rather them shoot you with?

Lets face it, both can be deadly.

We have to look at the practicality.

SA- loads faster, stays cleaner, has more ammo capacity.

Revolver- possibly a little more accurate depending on the experience level of the shooter, looks cooler.

I know there are a lot of other differences, but those stand out the most.

Coal replaced steam, gasoline replaced coal, efficiency replaces inefficiency.

I love old cars, I used to own several muscle cars. I freakin loved them. It didn't make them my daily driver though.

Just my humble opinion though

Djchina777
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland being first favorite and Dawn of the Dead being my second

Post by Djchina777 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:14 pm

you guys are bringing up great points so i may as well state i have equal love for both breeds of handgun as for the revolver i don't know if its from watching the good, the bad, and the ugly and lone ranger with my dad as a kid or the feel of my .44 taurus and .357 ruger blackhawk in hand but i'd definately carry that into battle for it's I feel like a greek god with this in hand factor and as for the pistols i'd want to use my Browning HI-power, Colt 1911, or H&K USP to pop a round into the man threatening my homestead I'd leave my Glock 17 out of that firefight because it's the very reason why i mentioned the jamming problem (it's probablly do the terrible care i put into that gun)

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Djchina777 wrote:you guys are bringing up great points so i may as well state i have equal love for both breeds of handgun as for the revolver i don't know if its from watching the good, the bad, and the ugly and lone ranger with my dad as a kid or the feel of my .44 taurus and .357 ruger blackhawk in hand but i'd definately carry that into battle for it's I feel like a greek god with this in hand factor and as for the pistols i'd want to use my Browning HI-power, Colt 1911, or H&K USP to pop a round into the man threatening my homestead I'd leave my Glock 17 out of that firefight because it's the very reason why i mentioned the jamming problem (it's probablly do the terrible care i put into that gun)
Get your Glock fixed. It should be the most reliable of the guns you listed.

Djchina777

Post by Djchina777 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Nah i wouldn't get the glock repaired because i've always thought my USP a better gun (its a compact model so it shoots 9mm like the glock and i find it more acurate and comfortable in hand than it as well)

Gunmetal Crew Chief
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead TV Show
Dead Snow
Dead and Breakfast
28 days later
Land of the Dead
Orig, DOTD

Post by Gunmetal Crew Chief » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:52 pm

WHats wrong with both? I wouldnt mind using one of each.

Jammed Glock? What parrell universe is that happening in? LOL, just kidding.

That Glock 1911 looks interesting. Sorry, side tracked.
Visit my Blog--->> http://www.gunmetalgearblog.com

Return to “Handguns”