What are some good upgrades for my Glock 19?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JDLampy

What are some good upgrades for my Glock 19?

Post by JDLampy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:15 am

Someone probably has posted asking this before but what are some good but relatively cheap upgrades for my Glock 19? I already have an extended mag and I just ordered some trijicon night sights. This is my EDC pistol so it can't be anything that wouldn't be easy to carry. If it helps my Glock 19 is a Gen 2.

Thanks,

JDLampy

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: What are some good upgrades for my Glock 19?

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:41 am

I'd start with a weekend training class from a top tier instructor and see what you learn about your pistol in that.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:54 am

Night sights (which you already ordered), grip plug (I like Scherer plugs), remove the finger grooves and texture/stipple the stocks (if you're comfortable doing that, plenty of tutorials on YouTube). I have been very happy with Grip Force Adapters on my guns, in conjunction with a textured grip. Maritime Spring Cups are not strictly necessary unless you're doing waterborne operations, but they cost almost nothing and there's no downside, so my Glocks have them.

As Phil said, though, the best way you can spend your money is by investing in quality training, and ammo for training and practice.

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:46 am

A Vickers Tactical mag release strikes a nice balance between the tiny standard mag release and the big extended, those are under $20 or you can buy a Glock OEM extended release and take it down to the size you want...
Really shooting and learning the gun is a big factor in figuring out what works and what doesnt. Glock stuff is so cheap you can try stuff and if it doesnt work toss it!
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

AK47guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1. Dawn of the Dead
2. Resident Evil
3. All other zombie movies

Post by AK47guy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:52 am

A clipdraw holster if it's edc. When I use it I don't keep a round chambered but it does save me about 2 seconds on my draw, plenty of time for me to rack one in the chamber. I timed my IWB holster draw to compare them and the clipdraw was smoother and faster even having to pull the slide back after the draw. I also sit a little more comfortably knowing I'm not an accidental trigger pull away from blowing my junk off. When I drive I remove it from my waistband and tuck it into my passenger seat pocket so the handle of the weapon sits out and faces me for quick access.
I'm in Florida where we wear shorts and tshirts most of the year and IWB holsters print easy, clipdraw allows me to take the bulk of the print away and allows quicker access to my weapon. I will say that 99% of concealed carriers may disagree about not having a round chambered, I've had this debate quite a few times before at the range and what it comes down to is personal preference.
I was convinced to try one by an undercover cop who loved track pants and wife beaters and I've never gone back to a conventional holster. My crossbreed has sat in the corner of my closet since I installed a clipdraw.

Tungsten spring and guide rod, mag catch, extended mag release and lots of ammo to practice might get you started on the performance end. If you're a LEO you can probably get a full auto sear installed.
Don't forget a few 33 round glock factory mags for the glovebox :mrgreen:

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 am

Wait, how exactly does a clipdraw save you two seconds on the draw? If there are two entire seconds to save on your draw, you need basic training, not any kind of accessory. Carrying with a clip, condition 4, is clown shoes. Go get some training from a competent instructor, and stop giving people bad advice.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"

Post by Tobias05 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:57 am

I've been looking at those ghost trigger kits for my wife's glock 19. I like the way it shoots now, but my little inquisitive mind just loves to tinker.

Don't forget a quality holster and belt. I am partial to galco myself.

Buy as many magazines as you can afford, ask for some ammo for Christmas, and get shooting!

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 am

TDW586 wrote:Wait, how exactly does a clipdraw save you two seconds on the draw? If there are two entire seconds to save on your draw, you need basic training, not any kind of accessory. Carrying with a clip, condition 4, is clown shoes. Go get some training from a competent instructor, and stop giving people bad advice.
THAT.

I never liked the design of the Clipdraw - the trigger "shield" is clownshoes and I'm not a fan of putting crap in the barrel of a gun.

Get something like a RC Vanguard 2 that actually encompasses the trigger guard if you're that concerned, or better yet a PHLster Skeleton - which is as closer to a more traditional holster design.

NXP

AK47guy
2. Resident Evil

Post by AK47guy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:16 am

TDW586 wrote:Wait, how exactly does a clipdraw save you two seconds on the draw? If there are two entire seconds to save on your draw, you need basic training, not any kind of accessory. Carrying with a clip, condition 4, is clown shoes. Go get some training from a competent instructor, and stop giving people bad advice.
I have to tuck with my crossbreed to flatten out my shirt and reduce my print, also the shirt is much more likely to bunch up and around the holster if I don't. I've heard the clown shoes argument before but to the 1% of us that use and train with them we wouldn't trade them for anything. Thanks for not having any animosity towards my personal decision.

AK47guy
2. Resident Evil

Post by AK47guy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:31 am

northernxposure wrote:
THAT.

I never liked the design of the Clipdraw - the trigger "shield" is clownshoes and I'm not a fan of putting crap in the barrel of a gun.

Get something like a RC Vanguard 2 that actually encompasses the trigger guard if you're that concerned, or better yet a PHLster Skeleton - which is as closer to a more traditional holster design.

NXP
My clip is attached to the gun, nothing goes in the barrel, you're thinking of a different holster. Mine replaces the backplate and puts a clip on the side of the slide, it can still be used with most conventional holsters if you choose to open carry.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:37 am

Carrying a Glock with the camber empty is dumb. You wanna talk about being part of the 1% that actually train, and yet your draw time from deep concealment is over 2 seconds with a real holster?

~sent via spacearmadillogram~
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:01 pm

I don't understand what a clipdraw does that a regular holster won't.

You still reach down, get a full grip on the gun, draw, and present it. From concealment, you clear the garment first, regardless of the type of holster. Except you're /adding/ a step in having to rack the slide.

How does that reduce 2 seconds from your standard draw time?

Sounds like you never knew what you were doing with a regular holster, if that's the case. Since you think you're now 'fast enough' with the clip draw, maybe you should revisit a traditional holster, and try drawing with it again, to eliminate the need to rack the slide during presentation/draw.

Don't give me the climate excuse, I live on the gulf coast area too. I carry daily, tucked and untucked.

As for upgrades to a G17 - good holster, good belt, ammo for training, and a class with someone competent. The best way to improve your guns performance is to upgrade the user. I'd skip all that crap about magazine butt plugs and springs and shit until you've upgraded yourself.

ETA: You can spend hundreds of dollars on accessories and crap that might improve your effectiveness with it by a few percent or you can spend the same amount of money on training and improve your effectiveness with it by several hundred percent.
Last edited by JTNieman on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:04 pm

AK47guy wrote:My clip is attached to the gun, nothing goes in the barrel, you're thinking of a different holster. Mine replaces the backplate and puts a clip on the side of the slide, it can still be used with most conventional holsters if you choose to open carry.
Brilliant. So not only are you suggesting not having a round in the chamber but replacing the back plate on a Glock with a holster clip. Do you realize that if that clip busts you'll be messing up the back plate and compromising the reliability of the Glock? I see lots of fail with messing with anything that keep the internals of a gun inside it.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:10 pm

AK47guy wrote:
northernxposure wrote:
THAT.

NXP
My clip is attached to the gun, nothing goes in the barrel, you're thinking of a different holster. Mine replaces the backplate and puts a clip on the side of the slide, it can still be used with most conventional holsters if you choose to open carry.
You're absolutely correct - I screwed the Clipdraw up with the Versacarry. My bad. I could see the Clipdraw on a mousegun that was through-frame bolted (ala Keltec), but I'm not a fan at all of the way it's attached to the Glock. Bad things happen when you loose that back plate on the Glock. I suppose you could sticky tape it on the slide also, but I'm not fan of that either.

NXP

AK47guy
2. Resident Evil

Post by AK47guy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Doc Torr wrote:Carrying a Glock with the camber empty is dumb. You wanna talk about being part of the 1% that actually train, and yet your draw time from deep concealment is over 2 seconds with a real holster?

1% who train with a slide clip as our holster and a round not in the chamber. I am by no means a professional quickdraw artist or a member of the tactical elite. I just like to be comfortable when I can't use a shoulder holster. At work I'm required to move all day, lifting, bending, up ladders, on roofs ect, the only time I get to sit down is when I'm driving. With the IWB it's hot and uncomfortable, I have to tuck my shirt in so customers don't know I'm carrying in their homes and offices, it could really upset some people and cost me money if they knew. With the clip I have none of those issues. The clip also works in conjunction with regular holsters. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:21 pm

AK47guy wrote:A clipdraw holster if it's edc. When I use it I don't keep a round chambered but it does save me about 2 seconds on my draw, plenty of time for me to rack one in the chamber.
How can you save 2 seconds on something that normally takes less than one second? Does it appear in your hands a second before you decide to draw?
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:30 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
AK47guy wrote:A clipdraw holster if it's edc. When I use it I don't keep a round chambered but it does save me about 2 seconds on my draw, plenty of time for me to rack one in the chamber.
How can you save 2 seconds on something that normally takes less than one second? Does it appear in your hands a second before you decide to draw?

That blew my mind...

Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:32 pm

AK47guy wrote:
I have to tuck with my crossbreed to flatten out my shirt and reduce my print, also the shirt is much more likely to bunch up and around the holster if I don't. I've heard the clown shoes argument before but to the 1% of us that use and train with them we wouldn't trade them for anything. Thanks for not having any animosity towards my personal decision.
No animosity, but it's bad decision, that's all there is to it. Condition 3 carry (I said 4 earlier, my mistake) without a holster is inferior to Condition 1 in a quality holster on so many levels. First of all, regardless of your claims to the contrary, there is absolutely no way drawing, chambering a round, and firing can be faster than drawing and firing a round. If you cannot get a pistol out of a Crossbreed holster and a round on target in under two seconds, the problem is with you, not the gun. Several people have already gone into detail about the reasons your argument that the clipdraw shaves time off your draw don't make sense, so I won't repeat them. Short story, you still have to clear the cover garment, grip the weapon, clear the holster/waistband, rotate and present whether the weapon is in a holster or on a clip. The only difference is, you have to chamber a round before you can do anything with the gun once you get it out.

Second, condition 3 carry in general is inferior. For example, in fight weapon access. Although you're of the "1% who train" with your clip holster, have you ever trained ECQC with it? How do you plan to bring the weapon into the fight when grappling? Grabbing the left wrist or arm of their opponent and throwing punches with the right is a simple, effective tactic anyone who makes a habit of beating people up can and will use. Someone carrying in a standard holster can still access the weapon and fire...you need two hands to bring the weapon into the fight. Same goes accessing the weapon on the ground, for example, from the guard. The very act of chambering a round is also adding a chance for Murphy's Law to make itself known. Again, whether in close quarters with punches being thrown or simply under stress, it's far too easy to have a piece of clothing or a limb catch on the slide and prevent it from going fully into battery. Chambering a round is an administrative action, best done well before you need the weapon.

Seriously, try one drill and you'll see what I mean. Clear your weapon, double check it, then have a friend clear it. Make sure all ammo is out of the room, then clear it again. Now that the safety Nazi stuff is done, load a magazine with snap caps or dummy rounds and place it in your weapon, then carry the weapon as you normally do with the chamber empty. Put on headgear, a mouthguard and a cup, and have a training partner put on MMA gloves. Have him attack you. Not a bullshit, slow motion attack. He doesn't need to try to kill you, but at least 50% intensity, actually trying to take you down and ground and pound. If possible, find someone who trains MMA or at least was a decent wrestler in high school do this. Just see how well your chosen techniques work. Getting the gun out will be hard enough, and requires a lot of training. Getting the gun out and chambering a round while someone tries to take your head off? Good luck.

I'm glad you're not taking this personally, and I hope you'll consider what I'm telling you, because in this case what seems to work on a flat range will get you killed if you ever need to use that weapon. This is not a matter of preference, it is a matter of facts and experience. Carrying any modern weapon in condition 3 is unnecessary and simply an inferior technique. If you absolutely must carry with a clip, look into a Raven Concealment Vanguard type trigger cover: http://www.ravenconcealment.com/other-h ... rd-holster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:42 pm

AK47guy wrote:1% who train with a slide clip as our holster and a round not in the chamber. I am by no means a professional quickdraw artist or a member of the tactical elite. I just like to be comfortable when I can't use a shoulder holster. At work I'm required to move all day, lifting, bending, up ladders, on roofs ect, the only time I get to sit down is when I'm driving. With the IWB it's hot and uncomfortable, I have to tuck my shirt in so customers don't know I'm carrying in their homes and offices, it could really upset some people and cost me money if they knew. With the clip I have none of those issues. The clip also works in conjunction with regular holsters. I didn't mean to offend anyone.
I don't think you've offended anyone, there are just a lot people that are not sure why you're choosing to carry without having a round in the chamber.

I can understand if you have concerns about the lack of a cover of the trigger guard while IWB, as I would be concerned also - hence the recommendations for other holsters that would provide what you're looking for and not modify the pistol.

NXP

JDLampy

Post by JDLampy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:50 pm

I have a Galco IWB holster that works well. I do have 3 regular size mags and 1 extended mag. I also carry with a round in the chamber. From what I have read from what you have all said I seem to be pretty good.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:56 pm

In the 360degree totallity of not being on the range, you may have to reholster the gun too. Have fun doing that with a quickdraw BS thingy after you've chambered a round.

Also, if you CC in other states, some states require a holster that covers the trigger.

And its hot where you're at? Its hot here half the year. I'd rather sweat onto a holster all day than onto my pistol.

Have ya been talked out of it yet?
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Brock Meatstone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by Brock Meatstone » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:26 pm

On a topical note, I look around ZS and feel like I'm the only guy who doesn't use a grip plug so I can utilize a lanyard on the gun.
Mainly because if I'm using it out in the wilderness or in the snowy woods, the last thing I want to do is drop it while running or if I fell and it was slung out of my hand; I'd feel fucked just by being reduced to using a pistol in that environment, I don't want to Superfuck myself by losing it and being down to a knife.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Re: What are some good upgrades for my Glock 19?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Brock Meatstone wrote:On a topical note, I look around ZS and feel like I'm the only guy who doesn't use a grip plug so I can utilize a lanyard on the gun.
Mainly because if I'm using it out in the wilderness or in the snowy woods, the last thing I want to do is drop it while running or if I fell and it was slung out of my hand; I'd feel fucked just by being reduced to using a pistol in that environment, I don't want to Superfuck myself by losing it and being down to a knife.
Do you not have a holster?

Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Brock Meatstone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Re: Re: What are some good upgrades for my Glock 19?

Post by Brock Meatstone » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Doc Torr wrote:
Brock Meatstone wrote:On a topical note, I look around ZS and feel like I'm the only guy who doesn't use a grip plug so I can utilize a lanyard on the gun.
Do you not have a holster?

I do, but I don't think an extra degree of retention while the weapon is in your hand is necessarily a bad thing, do you?

Return to “Handguns”