Wilderness Survival and Preparedness Books

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

wlschrenk
Favorite Zombie Movies: ?

Wilderness Survival and Preparedness Books

Post by wlschrenk » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:52 am

Hi,

I'm just looking for suggestions for good basic books on wilderness survival and emergency preparedness.

Thanks,
:D
Will

Monty

Re: Wilderness Survival and Preparedness Books

Post by Monty » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:17 am

I just pulled this out of my BOB about 30 mins ago and started flipping through it.

http://www.amazon.com/Collins-Gem-Sas-S ... 292&sr=1-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It or a similar (updated) one can probably be had cheap and would be a decent place to start.

Monty

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:03 am

Most popular:
SAS Survival Handbook, Revised Edition: For Any Climate, in Any Situation
John 'Lofty' Wiseman (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Survival-Hand ... pd_sim_b_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:14 am

Larry Dean Olsen

Olsen wrote Outdoor Survival Skills and worked as an advisor on the movie Jeremiah Johnson.
He was doing it before Cody Lundin was wearing shoes... wait, you know what I mean! :mrgreen:

Cody Lundin

98.6 Degrees - this book is all about understanding the difference between what you need and what you think you need. It should be required reading! It goes into extreme detail about maintaining core body temperature. But damn it wear shoes!

I have several SAS and US "Survival books", understand that military survival books are geared to SERE and not primitive survival. They are also written to aid soldiers who are expecting to be picked up ASAP. The main thing is to practice, practice, practice! Because of these books I thought solar stills were the absolute shit until I built one, I was right! They are shit! It takes a lot of work, materials, and maintenance to use solar stills. Without the right conditions they just dont work. You need to have water to start with and then purify it, its the best way.

wlschrenk
Favorite Zombie Movies: ?

Post by wlschrenk » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Excellent! Many thanks for the feed back.

Will

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Both of or either of John McCann's books. His first one, "Build the perfect survival kit" is unsurpassed in it's depth about a topic that's talked a lot about but had never been quantified before.

His newest title, "Stay Alive; Survival skills you need" is one of the best survival guides around. He uses his personal knowledge and history as a drill instructor and corporate trainer combined with an encyclopedic knowledge of gear and tactics and he managed to get it all in one book. Highly recommended.

Both available thru Amazon or thru his own website, http://www.survivalresources.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Full disclaimer, I consider McCann a personal friend and I am also a customer of his, his books are still fantastic resources...

Avoid anything written by anyone named Rawles...
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Return to “Books”