The Ashes Series - By William W. Johnstone

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Ashes Series - By William W. Johnstone

Post by Citizen Simon » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:28 am

I've had the book 'Out of the Ashes' and those that follow it recommended to me by some friends. I purchased the first one 'Out of the Ashes' but have not read it yet. Plan on starting it tomorrow. I see that it has been mentioned on this forum a number of times but there is no thread reviewing it or discussing it. The only discussion I see about this book is that when it is brought up someone usually makes a complaint about graphic rape scenes. Anyway I'm reading it anyway and will put my review here, figured might as well let some of this discussion fly on it. If you are going to write about any spoilers please post a very obvious warning above your spoiler content as to not ruin it for others. Thanks!
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

Hanuman110

Re: The Ashes Series - By William W. Johnstone

Post by Hanuman110 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:09 am

I enjoyed the first book of the series but after the first couple they quickly turn into a constant replay of the same plot until the later books almost seem like a parody of the early ones. The author has a specific philosophy that he preaches throughout the series and the books became a sort of survivalists manifesto for awhile. That being said I've read most of them just for the occasional moments when something new happened. For pulp men's adventure stories they aren't bad for the first few books.
"...I calculated the odds of this succeeding, vs. the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...then I went ahead anyway."~Crow T. Robot

TEC9man

Post by TEC9man » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:48 am

I remember reading this series many years ago. I agree about them becoming stale after awhile. Try the Outland series or the Survivalist.
Psalm 27:1-5
All the above statements are that of TEC9man and not necesarily that of ZS, it's moderators or members.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:33 am

TEC9man wrote:I remember reading this series many years ago. I agree about them becoming stale after awhile. Try the Outland series or the Survivalist.
The Survivalist was OK until he did his little time travel.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:33 am

Out of the Ashes and the first few sequels were pretty good. I don't remember any rape scenes, but the author never pulled any punches describing the evil things men can do. He also never pulled any punches when it came to punishment for evil men. The later books sucked. Johnstone had a new series he was starting focused on the problems on the southern border that seemed pretty good, but I haven't seen any new ones for a while.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

strahd71

Post by strahd71 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:15 pm

The Ashes series are ok. and they are quite repetative really and they can be quite graphic sometimes. but even though Johnstone passed away quite a while ago and those books were written mostly in the 80's and early 90's i think johnstone had a very clear picture of what was going to happen to America and the world if the government continued on the way it is and has been. if one were to read the ashes series and take a hard look at the news they would find the ashes series almost prophetic in many ways.

ive read them several times and have almost all of them in ebook format and have had most of them in paperback also. i like them because i can zone out and "escape" while reading it.

on a side note i hated how the series ended. it was just out of the blue and seemed as if he got tired of it writing it and just decided it would be the last book in the series while he was in the middle of writing the last book

oh and someone mentioned the border series.............. yea he saw that coming too

jake

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:45 pm

TEC9man wrote:I remember reading this series many years ago. I agree about them becoming stale after awhile. Try the Outland series or the Survivalist.
I read these years (decades) ago, and that's why I recall. Interesting at first, but follow on books were mostly a rehash of the previous ones, only stupider.

"Curse you Ben Raines" or something like that...
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:56 pm

I read a few back in the day, and remember having a few problems with it, to the extent that just kinda gave up on reading after the third book or so. Character development seemed a bit shallower even than Patriots, and the situations were pretty mundane, if graphic.

It's been a while, so my memory is a bit fuzzy.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

strahd71

Post by strahd71 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:12 pm

maybe the best description of it is........... not bad bathroom reading :D if your looking for useful information not what your looking for

jake

Return to “Books”