Walking Dead (comic books)

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cap'n Rae

Walking Dead (comic books)

Post by Cap'n Rae » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:01 pm

I thought there was already a thread devoted to this series but I couldn't find it so I figured I would start up a new one. It seems like a good time being as the TV mini-series based on the comics will be debuting later this month.

I'm 7 volumes in to the Walking Dead series and enjoying it. It's almost too grim and gory for my tastes but there's enough going on that I can't stop reading it. I'm looking forward to the AMC TV series premiering on October 31st. I'm not sure how well the material is going to translate to basic cable- in my mind, the series would be served better by a premium channel like HBO, Showtime, or Starrs.

What do you think about the comic series or the upcoming TV adaptation?

*Spoiler Alert*

I almost stopped reading the series after Michonne's revenge on the Governor. He certainly had it coming and I didn't feel particularly sorry for him but it was so sadistic, I almost couldn't handle it. It makes me wonder about the author that he can conceive of such brutality.

Something else that bothers me about the series is how Kirkman fairly blatantly borrows from Stephen King's Dark Tower books without attribution. Rick losing his right hand (Roland) and Michonne's split personalities (Detta/Odetta/Susanna) are similarities beyond coincidence. AFAIK, he's not publicly given King any sort of nod or acknowledge'd his influence. If he has, I'd like to know about it.
Carrying the Fire.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Re: Walking Dead (comic books & TV series)

Post by Sckitzo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Ehh Roland and Rick don't seem very similar to me beyond the whole hand thing.

And didn't Roland just loose a few fingers? Been a few years.

As far as Michonne, yeah shes black and ya she has mental issues. But I don't see any similarity beyond that. Susanna was so very beyond nuts its not even funny.

Michonne just has some weird PTSD shit going on.

It was a pretty brutal scene, I enjoyed it for what it was, did make me go :shock: though. Get tired of artist that censor themselves all the time for fear of offending the public, though I don't get angry at the artist I just get pissed at the public in large.

Whole 'nother can of worms though and ain't really meant for ZS.

Cap'n Rae

Post by Cap'n Rae » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Hey, you're in Tucson too, I see. Cool.

*Spoiler*

You're right about the fingers thing, but put that together with Michonne's mental issues and it seems too much to be a coincidence. Michonne definitely has a split personality thing going- the calm ex-lawyer and the vicious all action swordswoman. That seems an awful lot like Detta/Odetta to me (i.e. the calm, educated, well mannered lady and the tough, loose, street dweller). I'm not completely up to date on the series, though, so I may be missing part of the puzzle vis-a-vis understanding the nature of Michonne's psychology.

Anyways, it's by no means a deal-breaker for me. I still really enjoy the series.
Carrying the Fire.

ROBBYBEAR
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original NotLD, both Dawn of the Dead movies, Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ROBBYBEAR » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:10 pm

I love this series. The Walking Dead is my favorite comic book by far. October 31st cannot come soon enough.
"Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike."-Theodore Roosevelt

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Cap'n Rae wrote:I thought there was already a thread devoted to this series but I couldn't find it so I figured I would start up a new one.
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=58215
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

pj_01

Post by pj_01 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:29 am

Watched what i think is the first episode last night sunday, 10-31-2010 on the AMC channel around 10 pm or so. it started out like i was watching 28 days later. a guy waking up after being shot where in 28 days later the guy was a courier on a bike and was hit by a car and put in a coma. beyond that the show was a great watch. i havnt seen anything negate itselft or what i have read about the standard zombies. all these seem to be the slow movers and are only an big issue when groups. but sound draws them in which is better then the zombies being able to smell us to find us. so they are attacted to car alarms and such. Time to make a noise bomb i think.

Good show i look forward to seeing more of it.

SkipMonkey

Post by SkipMonkey » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:56 am

i just watched tonight episode

without those of you who have read the comics spoiling

am i going crazy or did i see shane get bit in that final brawl. im SURE i saw it and one of my friends saw it, but then he was just there like nothing happened.

anyone else see that?

Bricks of the Dead
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by Bricks of the Dead » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:37 pm

SkipMonkey wrote:i just watched tonight episode

am i going crazy or did i see shane get bit in that final brawl. im SURE i saw it and one of my friends saw it, but then he was just there like nothing happened.

anyone else see that?
It seems like either Shane or Jim to me, but I couldn't tell. I need to go back an watch that scene again. I'm thinking it wasn't Shane, since he was standing around looking completely normal at the end. Jim was looking normalish too, but considering he was completely nuts earlier that day, I'm not ruling him out.

oxic_berry

Post by oxic_berry » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:16 am

i looooove love love love this series! at first i was worried it was going to be half-assed, but it was really well done, filmed rather fantastically and had mostly awesome actors! i'm just sad that it was only 6 freakin' episodes long for the whole first season :[ laaame... i want brains *cough* i mean more episodes XP

i kinda want to hold off reading the comic books cause i'm worried i'll lose interest since the whole series isn't out yet and i'm usually happy with the written versions :3 but i love zombie gore and such!

lindy88

Post by lindy88 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:19 am

I hate the fact that we have to wait until next halloween for the continuation of the series. :|

Lord Vlad 666
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead(2004)
Land of the dead(2005)
The crazies(2010)
Night of the living dead

Post by Lord Vlad 666 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:22 am

I read somewhere that they fired all the writers from the first season. I guess they didn't realize how popular it would be when they first made it. Its pretty incredible that it got more viewers than mad men with only a 6 episode season!!
"The innocent only exist until they inevitably become perpatrators. Guilt or innocence is a matter of timing"
Bringing justice to the wasteland since 2003

jitterypillow

Post by jitterypillow » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:05 am

Cancerkitty wrote:
SkipMonkey wrote:i just watched tonight episode

anyone else see that?
It seems like either Shane or Jim to me, but I couldn't tell. I need to go back an watch that scene again. I'm thinking it wasn't Shane, since he was standing around looking completely normal at the end. Jim was looking normalish too, but considering he was completely nuts earlier that day, I'm not ruling him out.
You probably figured this out by now (call me Captain Timely), but it was Jim. :)
"And zombies-- where the fuck are all the zombies? That's the trouble with zombies; they're unreliable. I say if you're going to buy the angel bullshit you might as well go for the zombie package as well."

"Pacifism is a nice idea, but it can get ya killed. Evolution is slow; smallpox is fast."

-- George Carlin

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:34 pm

@oxic_berry Read the comic series. There's enough deviation between the two that you won't really notice too much in the way the stories are being played out. The first season was great for a television show. The first arc of the comic is great for a graphic novel. They're based on the same ideas but done in different ways.

oxic_berry

Post by oxic_berry » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:46 pm

yeah after i read the post that came after mine (about having to wait til halloween for the rest) i think i'm gonna have to! that's just way too long to wait on something like that! ^___^ thanks for giving me that little push in the right direction man! i can't wait for the first 4 comics i ordered on ebay :P so excited!

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:30 pm

The newest issue of the monthly comic series... OH SNAPS!! I have not gasped while reading a comic book in decades. Kirkman just poors it on sometimes and never lets up. My hands area shaking thinking that I need to wait 3-4 weeks for the next issue.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Nth90

Post by Nth90 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:34 am

Last edited by Nth90 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:11 pm

It was brutal on multiple fronts while being innovative in the shock. I always said that Kirkman takes a cliche and flips it around, like he draws you in with, "Well, I know where this is going; seen it enough... oh .... holy shit .... didn't see that angle!"
President ZSC011

Doc_Jude
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido, Shaun of the Dead, I Sell the Dead, Outpost, Planet Terror, Zombies of Mass Destruction, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Dawn of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Die Zombiejäger, Resident Evil Series

Post by Doc_Jude » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:21 am

I love The Walking Dead (the show's okay but the book is phenomenal).
What will good men do to survive, and still remember that they are good? Read The Walking Dead & find out. Esp issues 62 thru 66

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:26 pm

I just read vols. 1 thru 13 last week, first graphic novels I've read since ElfQuest when I was like 10 years old. :lol:

I enjoyed them. I think the stuff the living do to each other is 10X worse than being eaten by zombies. And the author not being afraid to dump a major character on a regular basis adds to the.... "realism".

Can't wait for volume 14 to come out.

As far as the TV show goes, I'm glad the writers decided to keep Shane around. (I was catagorized as a "Shane" when I took the survival quiz on the show's website.) :D
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:51 pm

TWD Vol. 14: No Way Out will be released June 22, 2011 (encompassing issues #79-#84). $14.99 is the usual MSRP.
President ZSC011

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:11 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:TWD Vol. 14: No Way Out will be released June 22, 2011 (encompassing issues #79-#84). $14.99 is the usual MSRP.
Man..... That's like waiting on Christmas. :cry:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:14 pm

RickOShea wrote:I just read vols. 1 thru 13 last week, first graphic novels I've read since ElfQuest when I was like 10 years old. :lol:
Holy shit, someone else read those too?!?! I have the entire collection. :lol:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
RickOShea wrote:I just read vols. 1 thru 13 last week, first graphic novels I've read since ElfQuest when I was like 10 years old. :lol:
Holy shit, someone else read those too?!?! I have the entire collection. :lol:
I'm glad my mom never looked at them, it was risque stuff for a ten year old, waaaaay back then. :shock:

retrospeaks
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead

Post by retrospeaks » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:59 pm

rick-

if you were classified as a "shane," then you are likely a dick who would bang his best friend's wife after leaving the hospital :lol:

i say old chaps. issue 83 absolutely blew me away. one of the craziest issues i've read since i started following it. i cannot wait until the next issue drops to find out what happens next.

was playing poker last night with a few buds that just started watching the series. two of which swore up and down that they would have been better prepared than rick when he woke up out of his coma. hearing this from unprepared metrosexuals (yes, i am friends with a few) made for some good lulz.

if i didn't know any better, i would have thought they were trolling me in real life.

what i like about the series thus far is the grittyness. like ninja-eblow said zombie cliches have been done over and over again, and the writer kirkman does a great job turning them into crazy plot twists.
http://romerobrooks.com. Like CNN. Only Deader.

Return to “Books”