Cherie Priest's Steampunk zombie novel: Boneshaker

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

das

Cherie Priest's Steampunk zombie novel: Boneshaker

Post by das » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:10 pm

I saw a number of mentions of Boneshaker on sites I frequent recently, and took the opportunity to pick up the last copy at our local bookstore. As far as I can tell, Boneshaker is only available as a trade paperback, and is printed in a relatively unique ink color and font that make it feel a little more antique - unfortunately, this also means it will cost you $15 or so to get your hands on a copy.

The novel itself is a worthy read - it combines elements of steampunk such as weird mechanisms and devices, a zombie producing deep earth gas, the machine that release it, and of course, a mysterious mad scientist. Fans of hardcore zombie slaying won't find a lot of zombie based excitement - the gas created zombies are more of a force of nature than the core of the novel, and the gas that creates them is the larger threat. With that said, if you're a steampunk fan who wants an interesting take on the normal mad scientist adventure, or a zombie adventure fan who doesn't mind a new twist, then Boneshaker is probably worth your time.

mtnfolk mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the omega man..

Re: Cherie Priest's Steampunk zombie novel: Boneshaker

Post by mtnfolk mike » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:14 pm

ooohh.. that sounds like a cool book... i may have to look into it.. :)
>>>>-----LIFE IS A KNIFE----->

Timber_Wolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero's stuff & Brain Dead.

Post by Timber_Wolf » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:03 pm

I have known Cherie Priest for a decade or better and I love her writing style. Four and Twenty Blackbirds is still one of my favorite ghost stories. I haven't gotten around to reading this one yet but it sounds like fun.

Timber Wolf
"Necessity, who is the mother of invention." - Plato

“Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality.” - Nikola Tesla

1984CJ
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 1984CJ » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:30 pm

I got a copy for Christmas. I am now reading through it for the second time!
I really enjoyed the way that the characters developed and the twists in the plot. I was pretty sure that I had it all figured out a couple of times while reading it but I was wrong.

It isn't hardcore zombies or history or Steampunk but it blends them together rather well.

Zombies, Airships, blight gas, guns and survivors. Oh My!
Tanstaafl

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:50 pm

This just sounds so full of win, is on my to read list near the top now :mrgreen:

B3

Post by B3 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:41 pm

It was a pretty fun read. The depictions of the "rotters" is definitely macabre and eerie. The adventure and intertwining stories of the characters were cool too. I heard (a rumor) that this book might be part of a trilogy, so it will be interesting to see if that's true. If there are follow-up books to this one, I will definitely check them out. I'd also like to read some of her other works and go to Seattle--if for no other reason than to see some of the places mentioned in the story :)
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.--Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

B3 was formerly known as: cosmic_castaway

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 am

I finished Boneshaker this weekend. Loved the book, didn't really like the ending. Great blend of genres.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

Return to “Books”