A Jew's 7 year E&E through Nazi occupied Europe

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

acropolis5

A Jew's 7 year E&E through Nazi occupied Europe

Post by acropolis5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 am

I read Sin's now locked Nazi evasion thread with great interest. I thought, for sure, he had read about the life or recent death of Leo Bretholz. In 1938, 17 yr. old Leo Bretholz, an Austrian Jew, began what was to become a 7yr. escape, evasion and resistance odyssey throughout Nazi occupied Europe. Crossing national boundaries many times, he was captured and escaped seven times, including from the death train to Auschwitz, ending the war fighting as a member of a French Jewish resistance group known as "La Sixieeme". His story is stunning told in his 1999 autobiography, "Leap Into Darkness", which is still in print and a steal at ~$10-11. Mr. Bretholz died in Maryland on March 8,2014. He was eulogized in a story in the N Y Times on March 30th.

My thoughts also ran to the real life story of the Bielski brothers Jewish resistance partisans in Belarus in WW II. The Bielski group saved over 1200 Jews, including the aged, infirm and the very young. Their base was sometimes called the Jerusalem of the forest. The Bielski Otriad was the subject of the recent hit movie, "Defiance". There are two geat books telling their stories. The earlier academic study by Professor Tec, also titled "Defiance" and a later book by Duffy, "The Bielski Brothers", which had access to additional sources.

All three of the above books read like adventure novels. They are the true stories of unremarkable pre- war urban and rural East European Jews, transformed by the collective evil insanity of Nazism, into Tough Jews. Surviviors , who learned to adapt, improvise, overcome and fight back! If, heaven forbid, the SHTF in the US or another Western nation, the result is likely to resemble Nazi/Fascist Europe. It will not be living off the land. These books detail the necessary survival skills.

Stercutus

Re: A Jew's 7 year E&E through Nazi occupied Europe

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:40 pm

acropolis5 wrote:I read Sin's now locked Nazi evasion thread with great interest. I thought, for sure, he had read about the life or recent death of Leo Bretholz. In 1938, 17 yr. old Leo Bretholz, an Austrian Jew, began what was to become a 7yr. escape, evasion and resistance odyssey throughout Nazi occupied Europe. Crossing national boundaries many times, he was captured and escaped seven times, including from the death train to Auschwitz, ending the war fighting as a member of a French Jewish resistance group known as "La Sixieeme". His story is stunning told in his 1999 autobiography, "Leap Into Darkness", which is still in print and a steal at ~$10-11. Mr. Bretholz died in Maryland on March 8,2014. He was eulogized in a story in the N Y Times on March 30th.

My thoughts also ran to the real life story of the Bielski brothers Jewish resistance partisans in Belarus in WW II. The Bielski group saved over 1200 Jews, including the aged, infirm and the very young. Their base was sometimes called the Jerusalem of the forest. The Bielski Otriad was the subject of the recent hit movie, "Defiance". There are two geat books telling their stories. The earlier academic study by Professor Tec, also titled "Defiance" and a later book by Duffy, "The Bielski Brothers", which had access to additional sources.

All three of the above books read like adventure novels. They are the true stories of unremarkable pre- war urban and rural East European Jews, transformed by the collective evil insanity of Nazism, into Tough Jews. Surviviors , who learned to adapt, improvise, overcome and fight back! If, heaven forbid, the SHTF in the US or another Western nation, the result is likely to resemble Nazi/Fascist Europe. It will not be living off the land. These books detail the necessary survival skills.

Not a WWYD topic should probably be in literature or whatever. BTW Bretholz died peacefully an old man in March at 93!
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: A Jew's 7 year E&E through Nazi occupied Europe

Post by Doctor Jest » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:24 am

Yeah, I'm going to move this thread over to Books.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Return to “Books”