Mosin Nagant thread???

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Re: Mosin Nagant thread???

Post by Turtlewolf » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Turtlewolf wrote:My friend that is a Tikka build!!!!
Please do not chop this, it is your rifle to be sure but even in Canada those are approaching $300!
You've scored a rare 91/30 (how much was it?) and what looks like an early military Factory 26 SKS that probably dates from the late 1950's.
Have you checked Yoopers SKS pages?
All in all you scored two grails, or they would have been three years ago! I'm pretty sure the Mosin Nagant still is and I have not ever seen a Chinese SKS like that except in pictures! Is the triangle on the reciever a 26?
If so it can be accurately dated to year of manufacter.
I know they aren't AR15's but you just bought two great investments, leave them as is.
yes, the SKS is a triangle 26, six digit serial, which Yooper lead me to believe means it may be a Sino Soviet.

The Mosin is staying stock. IDK about classy (I think they look goofy as hell) but for $100, I'm happy having a new tent-pole. The SKS is Gonna stay as-is-ish. Might order the survival kit Browning 35 linked. $55 for a new stock and spare parts is a good deal. $225 for the SKS wasn't bad.
Well you just scored two very collectable rifles, grats!
You paid $100 for a rifle easily worth $300-even here.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

NachoGummyBear

Post by NachoGummyBear » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:22 pm

JTNieman wrote:Mosin Nagant: the worst starting rifle for many reasons:

1) The brutish piece of shit will alienate most new shooters

2) The recoil will instantly incite a terrible flinch in any shooter

3) The weight and heft is a pain in the ass for anyone to haul around

4) The accuracy and disappointment of never hitting what you're aiming at will leave an unsatisfactory range trip

5) Inability to work the action without a beating stick, or a concrete bench to beat it upon, will leave new shooters perplexed as to how safe guns really are.

Seriously, the only positive aspect is that it's $100. So are used Hi Point pistols, but no one thinks they're awesome pieces of firearms design. Go back to whacking off to Enemy at the Gates. :lol:
I know I am necramancing this thread, but I wanted to address this.

1. I know the rifle is huge, but it shouldn't be discounted, my wife weigh a 120 soaking wet and can fire one with ease, all it takes is proper stance and proper hold.
2 The recoil isn't so bad in my eyes, if you shoulder your weapon correctly, I teach most of my friends how to properly shoulder the weapon prior to firing, I rarly hear complaints.
3. I agree.
4. Every Mosin I have fire did well in accuracy. 100 yards open sights, 2 inch groups. We are civvies, not snipers, we just know how to use the weapon.
5. I have seen a 10 year old work the action with little difficulty, the mosins you have worked with must have been really interesting. I am sorry you have had nothing but bad luck with this rifle, but don't tear it down, I found it to be an easy to work, easy to clean, easy to disassemble and reassemble, accurate old battle sticks.

Will I take one over an AR or even an AK, not likely, but It is a nice rifle.
Marlin .22
Walther PK380
Kel-Tec Sub-2000 (Glock 22 model)
Savage Axis
Taurus 24/7 Gen 2 9mm
More to come...

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:38 pm

NachoGummyBear wrote: 5. I have seen a 10 year old work the action with little difficulty, the mosins you have worked with must have been really interesting. I am sorry you have had nothing but bad luck with this rifle, but don't tear it down, I found it to be an easy to work, easy to clean, easy to disassemble and reassemble, accurate old battle sticks.
The only time I've seen an issue with working the action on a MN is if the chamber and bolt haven't been properly cleared of cosmoline (or whatever the USSR used to preserve these rifles). I ended up using a combination of brake spray cleaner, Hoppes No. 9, and a 30 caliber chamber brush on mine. Also lots of Q-tips to get into all of the nooks and crannies of the chamber.

My assumption is that the poster's MN wasn't completely free of cosmoline.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:40 am

Has anyone here ever turned a MN into a scout rifle?

And if so what scope did you put on it?

I'm thinking this could be the only reason for me to buy one.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:51 am

MacAttack wrote:Has anyone here ever turned a MN into a scout rifle?

I've seen it done, but because of the "floppy" barrels and sub-par platform, you're well into Savage turf by the time you get it ready for the optic. You'd likely be better served pawn-shopping for a used Marlin levergun and scouting it out, especially given the hallowed status of .30-30
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:21 am

MacAttack wrote:Has anyone here ever turned a MN into a scout rifle?

Mac I plan to buy a MN and chop it down to 16 1/2, put a reproduction SMLE Jungle flash hider on it, and gussy it up with some fancy leather sling/ammo pouch and call it a Sub 100m Scout Rifle.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Shoe Daddy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Land of the Dead, 28 Days and 28 Weeks later, etc.

Post by Shoe Daddy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Has anyone seen the new Archangel stocks for the Mosin? Made by Promag, 5 or 10 round detachable mag, fully adjustable length of pull and cheek piece, free floats the barrel (also has a barrel tension adjustment). MSRP is $199.00 and I do have to say I am for one interested in this kit. I have a busted ass Mosin stock held together by wood screws and liquid nail.

http://www.teamm14.com/showthread.php?7 ... -Shot-Show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am 1911, Cake, Mosin-Nagant, AK/AR neutral

Read my ZPAW story, Life after Death here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 28&t=38181

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:56 pm

Promag...

They make some nice wooden stocks and some nice polymer stocks that aren't Promag.

Shoe Daddy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Land of the Dead, 28 Days and 28 Weeks later, etc.

Post by Shoe Daddy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:52 pm

I understand the ProMag hate around here. I had several for my AK and ended up using them for targets eventually. However I have heard good things about their stocks for the most part. I'm gonna wait until they get some real reviews behind them before I go dumping my hard earned money into a Mosin project. Then again by the time I do all the stock work and additions to a ProMag-ed Mosin, I can have myself a legit Sniper variant.
I am 1911, Cake, Mosin-Nagant, AK/AR neutral

Read my ZPAW story, Life after Death here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 28&t=38181

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Shoe Daddy wrote:I understand the ProMag hate around here. I had several for my AK and ended up using them for targets eventually. However I have heard good things about their stocks for the most part. I'm gonna wait until they get some real reviews behind them before I go dumping my hard earned money into a Mosin project. Then again by the time I do all the stock work and additions to a ProMag-ed Mosin, I can have myself a legit Sniper variant.
Their Saiga (12ga) mags required cutting/filing to fit, but were reliable. The 226 mag I had was marked 9mm, but belched them out like a 40cal mag, and would not fit my 9mm Sig. I never tried it in a 40cal. The .22 mags have been hit-or-miss for 10/22s and the 15-22s, and for multiple guns.

Honestly, for anything except the Saiga I'd buy Korean (KCI) made stuff before I'd buy Promag. I also wouldn't try to add detachable mags to a Mosin. I paid $100 for my Finn, and if I got the urge to spend more than another $20 on it, I'd sell it to some poor college kid and buy another Savage. At least the Savage would be worth spending the money on.

Having had it for a little while, I'm still not impressed. First person to make me a half-decent offer (over $200) at a gun show is getting it. If it was a Chinese version like I thought when I bought it, it would be wearing a 16" barrel and several coats of min-wax buy now and sleeping in my trunk. In the mean time, I have a single-barrel shotgun going in there instead.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:44 am

Well the MN was only an idea since I could get one anytime for real cheap. Friends with quite a few.

Since I picked this up and it seems to have been chopped and bobbed by a real gunsmith. For 125 bucks I can't complain.
I think I will just slap a pretty good scope on it and call it a day. Its already drilled and tapped for a scope and the previous owner said it hit paper at 200 yards with his old bushnell scope.
I'm going to put the original sights back on since they were only 60 bucks and will not take much work.

grennels

Post by grennels » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:30 pm

crypto wrote:How many people have Mausers, Enfields, Springfield 1903's or K31's that require the fucking bolt to be hit with a mallet to open the action?

As I said early in this thread -

I have 2 Mosin's and have NEVER had to use a mallet on either.

One shoots about 2.5moa, the other mo hubcap.

At 250 down to 150 yards, shoot the (good) Mosin.

When they close to 150 yards, drop the Mosin for the AK.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:46 am

I can't remember if I've contributed to this thread yet, so if I have, I was drunk. Consider it 'getting into character' for a Soviet love-fest.
grennels wrote:When they close to 150 yards, drop the Mosin for the AK.
Who the hell carries a Mosin AND another rifle? That's like driving a truck AND a car. At the same time.

The Mosin is a sub-par rifle amongst its contemporaries, it is impossible to find one in good enough condition to see how well it would shoot when new, and the main problems (imho, sticky bolt and shot-out bores) are either tedious to fix or impossible and therefore must be lived-with.

And

Cosmoline is a son of a bitch.

That should have been the beginning and end of the reality check for this thread. The fanboys and trolls (I honestly can't say they're not) have armchaired the same handful of points whether or not they have any bearing on reality for 12 pages. Fer fucksake, you argued about how much it was issued to frontline troops, how does that affect it's worthiness as a range toy or hunting rifle? If I made a 'Zombie Squad thread', would you all rush over to share why you think Zombie Squad sucks? If you own one and love it, come in and bash on it all you like. Call it the retarded family dog. If you're gonna come in here and just berate a gun we'd rather trade tips and anecdotes on, go find a Justin Beiber fan forum. They desperately need your brand of hate there.

It's a rifle you can justify to almost any gun control advocate. It's historic, it's purposeful, and the style is all grampa. It holds five rounds, takes forever to cycle and reload, and it's precisely as tactical as a set of trucknutz. Then you can tell them it's a military rifle.

If you get the hankering to shoot like a Fudd, but don't want to spend $500 on a Rem 700, this is your gun.

This rifle comes with character right out of the box. That's not to say nicks, scratches, and shit rifling, it means soul. Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about, nobody here is a stranger to buying a used gun, they work the same as a new one but you pay off-the-truck price, and when you just feel like something different to shoot, you can usually afford to waste money browsing the secondhand rack. You had to fall in love with a gun someone else has already had, so you gave it a history. Someone loved this gun, someone has memories with this gun, and you're going to take it home and clean it up and treat it with respect deserved of an old dog. It doesn't have to be a great shooter, it just has to be your new gun. Why not a gun from the war to end all wars? That's dripping character, and you haven't even gotten the bolt stuck yet.

*World War 2 failed to be the war to end all wars. As a war, though, it was reasonably spectacular.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

airmandan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by airmandan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:37 am

So I go into my local big 5 the other day, and I immediately get assaulted by this terrible sneezing fit. In a instant I know there is something is causing my F#cking retard allergies to go off.

So I wander over to the gun counter, cause thats the only reason i visit that place,and I see it, it's plasticky glint sending shivers down my spine.

I give to you gentleman and lady's, the mosin nagat accessories kit.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:19 am

I have a buttpad similar to that. The fit is shit, but it's one of the few Mosin accessories worth spending money on if you ever intend to shoot it.

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:29 am

airmandan wrote:the mosin nagat accessories kit.
That's been around for a while. The butt pad is nice, though they're not molded perfectly. I always shoot with it on, just because (it's over an inch thick, too). I forget if you have to drill and tap for that rail, but I used a .22 rail to picatinny adapter on the rear sight dovetail, needed some creative thinking to keep it from walking due to recoil but I got it to work. The scope is probably just good enough to be considered a match for the rifle, but I've never checked. Original slings aren't hard to find if you care about it being original, but in the end, I'd still rather buy the pad, my rail that doesn't require drilling the gun, and save the rest.

Aim Sports makes a cantilever scope mount for ARs that hasn't sucked enough yet for me to replace it. I think it was $35.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

grennels

Post by grennels » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:01 am

Sledgecrowbar wrote:I can't remember if I've contributed to this thread yet, so if I have, I was drunk. Consider it 'getting into character' for a Soviet love-fest.
Who the hell carries a Mosin AND another rifle? That's like driving a truck AND a car. At the same time.

Not if you are involved in a static defense, huh?
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:02 pm

grennels wrote:
Sledgecrowbar wrote:I can't remember if I've contributed to this thread yet, so if I have, I was drunk. Consider it 'getting into character' for a Soviet love-fest.
If you're in a fixed defense with a Mosin, you failed somewhere.

Sledgecrowbar

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 pm

If you're in a fixed defense with a Mosin, you failed somewhere.
Something something sharp branches something something twice as long as a man something something freeeeedooooooom
Brotherbadger wrote:

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:32 pm

MacAttack wrote:Image
Even if it is a sportster'd Enfield, that's a fine looking gun for 125 dollars - and I'd take it every day that ends in "DAY" over a Mosin. I'd own it - the stock looks like my CZ's, very European.

NXP

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:50 pm

northernxposure wrote:
MacAttack wrote:Image
Even if it is a sportster'd Enfield, that's a fine looking gun for 125 dollars - and I'd take it every day that ends in "DAY" over a Mosin. I'd own it - the stock looks like my CZ's, very European.

NXP
That, and the barrel won't droop when you fire more than 20rds like an unsupported mosin.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Whoever did the work went so far as to glass bed the stock. All serials match and its only a 4 digit number to boot. Kind of sorry it was sported.

After I put a scope back on it I have to find out how well it shoots at 200 yards.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: If you're in a fixed defense with a Mosin, you failed somewhere.
sigged
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

zombiegristle

Post by zombiegristle » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:11 pm

I have an all-numbers-matching 1927 hex receiver 91/30 that I got for my 18th birthday. The only thing "original" at this point, is the barreled action.

The 1.5# Timney trigger made me giggle like a schoolgirl.
"It is better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it."
-- Condom Rule
"Everybody gets one."
-- Spiderman Rule

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”