.22?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Re: .22?

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:34 am

GOODdaysir wrote:I think the problem with this is that I like being able to pop off multiple rounds without reloading, if I can find a subbie Im going to get it, but for now I will get a savage MkII BSEV with a scout scope
Why are you putting a scout scope on it? Why not a scope with standard eye relief?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:01 am

$500+ for the Savage?

I'd go for a CZ 452 or 455 myself for a bolt-gun. Or a 10/22 with the Hogue overmold stock. Plenty of cheaper options that will get done everything for which a .22 could conceivably be used. Even a run-of-the-mill 10/22 will save you a few hundred bucks, which means a few thousand rounds of decent ammo to practice with. For less than $500 you could even get one of the .22 AR-15 analogues and get some familiarity with the weapon system. No such luck for AKs though. What are you planning on usign this rifle for?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:53 am

JustAnotherSnakeCult wrote:
GOODdaysir wrote:I think the problem with this is that I like being able to pop off multiple rounds without reloading, if I can find a subbie Im going to get it, but for now I will get a savage MkII BSEV with a scout scope
Why are you putting a scout scope on it? Why not a scope with standard eye relief?
Scout scopes can actually shine on a 22. They are used with both eyes open making it a breeze to track a squirrel or rabbit moving quickly.
Scout scopes are generally 1-4x, in small game hunting 4x is generally thought to be ideal as tracking an animal that moves so quick and never seems to stop moving, with a higher magnification is extermely trying to say the least. The small conventional scopes in 4x generally offer a very small field of view and margin of error in eye relief as they generally have very small lenses Not applicable to some low mag scopes, off hand shotgun and muzzleloader scopes come to mind, but most wont however mount well on a 22 rifle.

As with everything its a matter of preference, you say chevy I say ford ya know?

I am biased as I love scout rifles as a utlity rifle, I have used several including my mauser scout that I regret selling and am building a new one [I'm actually cleaning the cosmo on it as i read this thread].

Now as to the OP's question, for a pack gun i love the h&r breakdown guns. If you do choose the s2k get a pistol to match its mags and ammo for double the utility. I love those little carbines but cant justify buying one with my money stretched out as it is

GOODdaysir

Post by GOODdaysir » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:48 am

Doc Torr wrote:$500+ for the Savage?

I'd go for a CZ 452 or 455 myself for a bolt-gun. Or a 10/22 with the Hogue overmold stock. Plenty of cheaper options that will get done everything for which a .22 could conceivably be used. Even a run-of-the-mill 10/22 will save you a few hundred bucks, which means a few thousand rounds of decent ammo to practice with. For less than $500 you could even get one of the .22 AR-15 analogues and get some familiarity with the weapon system. No such luck for AKs though. What are you planning on usign this rifle for?
Well, I figured if I was going to get a .22 I might as well get a competition gun, but looking deeper into pricing and also looking at the unnecessary features, it would probally be better to "get one of the .22 AR-15 analogues and get some familiarity with the weapon system" because I know that eventually I'm going to buy an ar-15 styled weapon, weather it be a Remington R-15 or a colt full tactical gun.
Hey guys, Please check out my blog for gear reviews you can trust
http://suburbansurvivorgear.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A new perspective on gear, to help you choose the best load-out for your situation

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:03 am

GOODdaysir wrote:....I know that eventually I'm going to buy an ar-15 styled weapon, weather it be a Remington R-15 or a colt full tactical gun.
There's a BIG difference between those two.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:06 am

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/455-american/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can swap barrels to make it .17HMR, .22LR, or .22WMR

Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:19 am

huntingohio wrote:
JustAnotherSnakeCult wrote:
Scout scopes can actually shine on a 22. They are used with both eyes open making it a breeze to track a squirrel or rabbit moving quickly.
Scout scopes are generally 1-4x, in small game hunting 4x is generally thought to be ideal as tracking an animal that moves so quick and never seems to stop moving, with a higher magnification is extermely trying to say the least. The small conventional scopes in 4x generally offer a very small field of view and margin of error in eye relief as they generally have very small lenses Not applicable to some low mag scopes, off hand shotgun and muzzleloader scopes come to mind, but most wont however mount well on a 22 rifle.

As with everything its a matter of preference, you say chevy I say ford ya know?

I am biased as I love scout rifles as a utlity rifle, I have used several including my mauser scout that I regret selling and am building a new one [I'm actually cleaning the cosmo on it as i read this thread].

Now as to the OP's question, for a pack gun i love the h&r breakdown guns. If you do choose the s2k get a pistol to match its mags and ammo for double the utility. I love those little carbines but cant justify buying one with my money stretched out as it is
I'm with you. I've become a fan of scout scopes. (off topic - do you know anyone making an scout scope with an illuminated reticle?)

I was questioning the scout scope because 1) the rifle in question has a traditional scope mount and 2) a scout scope on a competition gun seems like an odd choice.

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 pm

NCstar makes a illuminated scout scout its a 4x fixed, I know people say there stuff sucks but i had a fixed 4x from them and it held zero pretty well but there 3-9 I bought sucked big time.
Pretty much any handgun [extended eye relief] or IER [intermediate eye relief] scope will work, I used a tasco propoint red dot to smoke a couple groundhogs at 75-125 yards.

Back to the OP ping pong much? no offense meant but i know the feeling so many guns so little time and money.

I dont mean to be rude but are you a new shooter? If so just go down to the gun store and plop down 100- 150 bucks on any new or used 22. A few good models would be marlin model 60, remington 597, mossberg plinkster, or you really cant go wrong with a savage or marlin bolt action. Buy a couple of bricks of ammo for like 30 bucks and put the rest away and save up some cash for your next gun. Build up a good shooting skill foundation before you get into more expensive ammo and guns, that way your no wasting 25 cents everytime you miss the target with your AR or sub2000 down the line

towm8er

Post by towm8er » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:17 pm

Isnt the 10/22 available in a take down version where the barrel un crees now?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

GOODdaysir

Post by GOODdaysir » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Yeah im a very new shooter... I am having a bit of newbies anxiety...
http://suburbansurvivorgear.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A new perspective on gear, to help you choose the best load-out for your situation

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:46 pm

GOODdaysir wrote:Yeah im a very new shooter... I am having a bit of newbies anxiety...
10/22. End of thread.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:12 am

New shooter? Set a budget, say $300 for a .22 rifle or pistol. Go to the LGS's and pawn shops and hold everything that feels nice and falls under that price range. Make a list of the ones you liek, and DO NOT BUY ANYTHING without goign back home and doing lots of research. Most of the .22 models listed here are solid guns, but they have different pros and cons. I'm not saying that ZS is the only way to go for gun advice, there's plenty of other places on the googlenet to figure out why a 10/22 might make a better gun for you than the MkII, or why a Marlin Model 60 and it's clones can be cheaper and just as good on the whole.

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:13 am

GOODdaysir wrote:Yeah im a very new shooter... I am having a bit of newbies anxiety...
GOOD! that anxiety should keep you from buying something dumb just because its cool,

You need to sit down and make a list of what you NEED your gun to do, in my mind at the top of the list is:
LEARN TO SHOOT ACCURATELY.
will you hunt with it?
obviously if your just learning to shoot you dont need a competition gun.. wait till you have skill.

My usual recomendation for a new shooter is to get a break action single shot or a bolt action rifle. While that sounds kinda lame and boring its for a good reason, if you have a semi auto you will learn the bad habit of firing to fast because if you have a back up shot your not to worried about missing the first one. With a break action or bolt action you have to manually reload every time making you think before you PRESS the trigger.

Like doc said go and hadle a few at a gun store and see what you like I highly suggest the savage mark line of rifles. They are bolt action rifles with a 5 or 10 round removeable magazine. They are very very accurate and have decent sights, and down the line if you decide to mount a scope they come with a scope rail for that [dont worry about a scope until you learn to shoot well]. The retail price for a BRAND NEW one in my parts is less than $150, I have an add for my local gun shop for them at 139.99, which is bad ass for my money. I had one and gave it away as a gift, it would easily shoot better than 99.999% of people can.
Most important of all is get the .22lr, dont let the clerk upsale you on the .22mag, or .17 hmr or .17m2. The ammo for those is around 10 bucks for 50 rounds, 22lr is around $15 for 500- 1000 rounds depend on sales. Black friday I even had the fortune to pick up 1500 rounds for $12.

Whatever you decide you like dont buy it right away, like doc said go home read up on it and see what people say. Dont trust the gun magazines as they are paid to say good things, and dont trust forums because people will blindly repeat what "the coolest guy on the forum" says just to be in the cool kids club. You'll find very few guys on a forum that are no bullshit real shooters, not keyboard comandos. For example im surprised somone hasnt suggeste that you buy a glock or sig yet, either of those would be useless for you. As would an ar analog because there generally not accurate 22s just cool looking.

The main thing is get a decent rifle and shoot the living hell out of it, its the only way to develop SKILL, the one thing that trumps gear everytime.

GOODdaysir

Post by GOODdaysir » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Yes I would plan on hunting with it. I also already have a scope, its a luelpold scout scope. So a savage with an accu-trigger?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:25 pm

GOODdaysir wrote:Yes I would plan on hunting with it. I also already have a scope, its a luelpold scout scope. So a savage with an accu-trigger?
The Savage, CZ 452 or 455, and 10/22 will be capable as all dingus of shooting the 'nads off a squirrel at 100m. Learn to shoot with iron sights. As far as semi vs. bolt vs. lever...figure out what's most comfortable for you. Single shots are for big-ass calibers that you don't shoot often, not .22LR. The semi's will give you the option of taking two or three squirrel without moving your hands to work the bolt. If you lack the self control to learn "proper hold, proper sight picture, inhale, exhale, slow-steady squeeze" then it won't matter if you get an M1919 or a Blaser R93, you'll still be missing shots you should make. If you have to have the training wheels, then load on bullet into the mag at a time. IMO, "mag dump fever" is a matter of self control and self-discipline. Try to get some instruction from someone who knows what their doing, such as an Appleseed event or a NRA event, rather than Joe at the gun range.

Anyhow, I vote 10-22 with irons, and later a low-budget RDS or low-power scope. Anything over a 2x is really a waste on a double-deuce, since you aren't going to have effective power with your average ammo past the 100m line, and the round's very susceptible to wind.

I know that someone will post about taking some shot at a ridiculous range, and I don't care, as it's about as relative to small-game/varmint hunting as is the difference between a 1MOA rifle and a .5MOA rifle at 100m, which is to say it's mental masturbation of the highest order.

Again, I vote 10/22. If you don't like something about it, I guarantee that someone makes the replacement part you want, from the buttpad to the muzzle device, including stocks, receivers, triggers, barrels, and optics. I may be wrong (doubt it) but you should be able to set up a hunting 10/22 for under $500, including mags and a few hudnred rounds of ammo.

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:58 pm

GOODdaysir wrote:Yes I would plan on hunting with it. I also already have a scope, its a luelpold scout scope. So a savage with an accu-trigger?
Like me or doc said go handle a few before you make up your mind

The specific one im talking about goes by the savage markII or the stevens 300, difence being the savage has the accutrigger and is more expensive. In my mind itd be damn near impossible to mount a scout scope on.

However if your 100% set on scouting your 22 go with the 10/22, there are quite a few places that make a easily mounted scout rail, most other guns you will have to send them to a gun smith IF they can be mounted at all.
scout scopes dont just readilly mount on most rifles
I can tell you for a fact that a 10/22 with a scout scope is a stew pot filling machine.

You can pick up a 10/22 for about 250 or the savage for 180 or the stevens for about 130 if i remember my price right from my last trip to the fun store. All of them right off the shoelf will work for small game hunting.

GOODdaysir

Post by GOODdaysir » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:55 pm

I headed out to GAT guns today and handled a large variety of rifles, and test fired everything from a 500large dollar competiton gun to a 75large dollar marlin! The 10/22 seemed nice and smooth, as did the savages. The remingtons seemed jam prone

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:28 am

GOODdaysir wrote:Yes I would plan on hunting with it. I also already have a scope, its a luelpold scout scope.
Is it the fixed 2.5x or the variable 1.5-4x?

I was gonna suggest a fixed 4x pistol or EER scope, but if you already have one that you want to use, we can go from there.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

GOODdaysir

Post by GOODdaysir » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:51 am

The fixed zoom. I really like the trigger on the savage rifles. I mightjust go to a gunsmith to have a pro mount it on a Mk II

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:14 pm

well if you want to go that route i hop you have a good bit of money to spend..
These guy are the only guys i know that specailize in scout rifles, you may be able to find a local smith to do it for cheaper
http://www.grizzlycustom.com/packages_c ... rifle.html

With a 10/22 you could scout it at home with a set of tech sights, a scout rail, rings, sling studs, a ching sling, and a nicer trigger, Youd most liekly be right around 600 dollars with the rifle. that includes the price of the new rifle, could be built for less if you bargain shop.

I got a quote from grizzly and was at $800 for my savage MII. Thats just in work not including the gun and my scope.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:35 pm

Simplest thing to do would be to get a one-piece scope mount that fits the contour of your barrel, then drill-&-tap it to the barrel (or have it done). That's what I did to a couple of my rifles:

I used an XS/Clifton mount on this one (but I don't know if they make one small enough for the average .22 barrel contour, and you have to inlet the stock channel):

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:52 pm

that was my thought itd be hard to ! find a mount, and the savage dosnt have a lot of meat on the barrel. XS dosnt make a mount thats small enought if you turn down the barrel flat.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:01 pm

huntingohio wrote:that was my thought itd be hard to ! find a mount, and the savage dosnt have a lot of meat on the barrel.
Hmmm, I don't know.....That stock Ruger 10/22 barrel isn't thick by any means. But it had enough "meat" for me to drill-&-tap.

GOODdaysir

Post by GOODdaysir » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Should I get a heavy barreled version

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”