How To Build An AK47

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

How To Build An AK47

Post by moab » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:11 am

As an introduction of sorts. I thought I would contribute something to the forums. Rather than take. I hope this helps some of you. If you have any questions. Please don't hesitate to ask. I'm a long term gun builder. But a short term Zombie Hunter. :) This is my second post here. I've spent the last two days reading in the gear section. And only gotten four pages in! So much great information. This site is incredible. I'm planning a long bug out from Socal to WA. And my weapon of choice is the AK47:

This is a practical guide to building an AK47. Some of the instruction links are mine. Some are to other builders information that I have found irreplaceable. I have blogged about this subject for some time. And I've built several AK's in my home shop. Using not much more than common tools and a press. It doesn't take a great deal of skill to build a rifle that rivals the commercial models that are out there. Only a good grasp of hand tools and basic mechanics. Here's one of the first ones I built:

****You can even build from the receiver up and not have it registered with anyone. Legally. Not only is this a great way to stock your own firearms collections - privately. It's a very useful trade skill should the shtf. ****

If you want to start building. This is how to start. I wish someone had pointed me in this direction when I started. So I've compiled every source of information and direction that will get you where you want to be - building AK's fast and the right way:

These are the only complete AK build instructions that are offered out there in a CD format. And could save every new builder (or even old ones) a TON of time and money. Anybody building AK's should have a set of both. They only cost like $18 a piece(?). And I have no connection to either of these guys. They are just simply the only and best building tutorials out there.

Contact dixonboyles@hotmail.com for his excellent Word and .pdf file tutorials. And vetteenthusiast@gmail.com (buildyourownak on youtube) for his incredible video build tutorials.

I would label these two volumes of AK building instructions as an almost must have for builders. Especially new builders. They will save you many hours trying to find the answer to so many questions on the internet or in forums. And nowhere on the net are there instructions this complete and exhaustive. And one is in easy to read .pdf or word format with pictures. The other is video instructions where you actually see each operation taking place while it's narrated by a very experienced builder.

I can't tell you how many times I see builders on other forums flying blind on their first builds. Destroying things they paid their hard earned money for. And becoming frustrated in the process. When they could have saved themselves all that heartache by simply spending a fraction of what they paid for their kits - on these tutorials. Not to mention gaining a clear understanding of all the tooling needed to build an AK.

These tutorials are a clear introduction to the world of building an AK. If I had only one piece of advice for someone that wanted to build. It would be to buy these.

There are also three main forums concerning AK building. The first is my favorite http://www.weaponsguild.com it's filled with information (use me as a reference if you join. my username is moab over there). But most importantly you'll find many many helpful builders that will literally give you the shirt off their back. Then there is http://www.akfiles.com and http://www.theakfourm.net both are a wealth of information on the subject of AK's and building.

You can also find further build information on my blog at http://blog.legionarms.com/

These are all links to my blog that detail various aspects of an AK build. And corresponding link lists to information about each. (Mods - I can repost all the info directly here. But it's a lot of information.) It also includes various tutorials I've written on different building aspects and techniques. I hope you all find this useful. I spent a lot of time on it. And plan to continuously do so. Feel free to ask me any questions. I'd be more than happy to help anyone that wanted to start building:

Main Blog Page
http://blog.legionarms.com/

Introduction to building an AK47
http://blog.legionarms.com/2010/09/comp ... youve.html

Basic Components
http://blog.legionarms.com/2010/09/basi ... nents.html

Field Stripping
http://blog.legionarms.com/2010/09/fieldstripping.html

Building Instructions
http://blog.legionarms.com/2010/09/buil ... tions.html

Youtube Building Instructions
http://blog.legionarms.com/2010/09/buil ... tions.html

Dimensions & Plans
http://blog.legionarms.com/2010/09/dime ... plans.html

Metal Refinishing
http://blog.legionarms.com/2010/09/meta ... shing.html

Wood Refinishing
http://blog.legionarms.com/2010/09/wood ... shing.html

Black Oxide Finish
http://blog.legionarms.com/2010/09/blac ... inish.html

Yugo Milled Receiver Build
http://blog.legionarms.com/2010/09/orf- ... tions.html

1965 Romanian BFPU Build
http://blog.legionarms.com/2010/09/1965-bfpu-build.html

1970 Romanian Build
http://blog.legionarms.com/2010/09/1970 ... build.html

Some of the guns I've built in my garage workshop. With nothing more than a press, some jigs and some hand tools:

My next builds will be tactical. Up to this point I've mainly been interested in the historical significance of AK's. But now that I am planning my own long bug out from Socal to WA. I have a renewed interest in building more for the combat aspects of AK's.

Patrick
Last edited by moab on Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Re: How To Build An AK47

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:35 am

Thanks for that info, moab! That's a lot to digest, it might take me a year or two...

Honestly, you should be able to tac-out any one of your AK's pretty easily. The standard configuration is Ultimak/Aimpoint Micro, with a light bolted on somewhere, often hanging off the side of the Ultimak. Many have found the rear sling point needs relocating, as illustrated by our gunfighting guru...
Dave_M wrote:Here is where I would recommend mounting the sling (as seen earlier in this thread{link}):

JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Tag because I wanna build a Tula AK74 to match the Tula Krink that is waiting to be born 8-)

Welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around :D
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:39 pm

just ordered my ak 74 :evil:
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

azstinger
Favorite Zombie Movies: Z-land or Dawn of the Dead

Post by azstinger » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:34 am

We'reWolf wrote:just ordered my ak 74 :evil:

Congrats! What model/manufacturer etc did you decide on?

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:27 am

azstinger wrote:
We'reWolf wrote:just ordered my ak 74 :evil:
Congrats! What model/manufacturer etc did you decide on?
Bulgarian, chromed barrel, plum furniture parts than gotta build baby
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:40 pm

I must have a 74 now. I love the look of wood furniture on Shotguns, mini-14's, 10/22's and AK's.

Hello :wavey:
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:48 pm

moab wrote:****You can even build from the receiver up and not have it registered with anyone. Legally. Not only is this a great way to stock your own firearms collections - privately. It's a very useful trade skill should the shtf. ****
Let's caveat that with all federal and state laws apply - and make sure you read up on what you have to do to transfer it to another party. I don't wanna have to come and ruin someone's parade ;)

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:50 pm

nimdabew wrote:I must have a 74 now. I love the look of wood furniture on Shotguns, mini-14's, 10/22's and AK's.

Hello :wavey:
Atlantic just got a bunch of 74 kits in for a -really- good price. Sans barrel, and ofc sans receive. Get you a Nodak and w/e barrel you prefer, and have at it.

I'm gonna sell the rear trunnion and stock it comes with and go with a synthetic left side folder. Might buy some extras to build out and sell to make my keeper "free"

moab

Post by moab » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:59 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:Thanks for that info, moab! That's a lot to digest, it might take me a year or two...

Honestly, you should be able to tac-out any one of your AK's pretty easily. The standard configuration is Ultimak/Aimpoint Micro, with a light bolted on somewhere, often hanging off the side of the Ultimak. Many have found the rear sling point needs relocating, as illustrated by our gunfighting guru...
Dave_M wrote:Here is where I would recommend mounting the sling (as seen earlier in this thread{link}):

I didn't get subscribed to this thread for some reason. Thanks for the headsup on the sling mount. I'll probably leave my 47's unmolested. And will probably build a 74 for Bug out purposes. And tac the hell out of it! :)
Last edited by moab on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:00 pm

hatchtrikk wrote:Tag because I wanna build a Tula AK74 to match the Tula Krink that is waiting to be born 8-)

Welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around :D

Thank you! I have! Can't believe I didn't find this place sooner.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:02 pm

Arkane wrote:
moab wrote:****You can even build from the receiver up and not have it registered with anyone. Legally. Not only is this a great way to stock your own firearms collections - privately. It's a very useful trade skill should the shtf. ****
Let's caveat that with all federal and state laws apply - and make sure you read up on what you have to do to transfer it to another party. I don't wanna have to come and ruin someone's parade ;)

Yes. You do have to mark it if your going to sell. And it's a good idea to mark it anyway. But generally speaking you don't have to register it with anyone. Unless you live in a place that outlaws them outright. Then your mileage may vary. Up to you to know and understand your jurisdictions laws.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:39 pm

moab wrote:
Arkane wrote:

Yes. You do have to mark it if your going to sell. And it's a good idea to mark it anyway. But generally speaking you don't have to register it with anyone. Unless you live in a place that outlaws them outright. Then your mileage may vary. Up to you to know and understand your jurisdictions laws.
There is one other place that people get hung up on - if you build from a pre-bent receiver (say a NDSpud, which was transferred at one time on a 4473 anyway) then prior to transfer you must add your info as the builder. It can be as simple as "JR Beverly Hills CA 90210" If and when you do mark it make damn sure it conforms to the ATF guidelines. Electric pencils normally are really sloppy and you have to keep it at the required depth and height (.003" depth and 1/16th " high) and it must be legible. When asked I normally refer folks to check with a trophy engraving shop. Also if it meets the requirements of an NFA weapon (i.e. SBR) then all laws apply.

Waitaminute: You live in SOCAL?

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:54 pm

If the bent receiver is already a firearm and transferred as such then why would one have do any receiver engraving at all?
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

universal_exports
Favorite Zombie Movies: day of the dead

Post by universal_exports » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:57 pm

I HATE AK's, all they do is cost me money, I cant seem to have enough. :D :D :D

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Kommander wrote:If the bent receiver is already a firearm and transferred as such then why would one have do any receiver engraving at all?
You don't. If it's a part that requires a 4473 - you're done.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:11 pm

JamesCannon wrote:
Kommander wrote:If the bent receiver is already a firearm and transferred as such then why would one have do any receiver engraving at all?
Not true. Example: Say you buy a Spud receiver already bent &welded - the original purchaser would have it transferred on a 4473. You also buy a kit from Apex. You assemble it for yourself. At that point you don't have to add any additional markings. Five years down the road times get tight and you have to sell it off. you MUST at a minimum as per ATF rules add your info. The guidance given is that the original manufacturer of the receiver (NDS in our example) was for the receiver only and not the completed firearm. Since the home builder was the actual manufacturer of the firearm then 27 CFR 478 marking rules apply. The bottom line is when it comes to transfers the ATF makes no distinction between a licensed manufacturer and a home builder when it comes to marking requirements at transfer. Feel free to query tech branch - they'll send you the same info. Cover your ass and add the info - it ain't worth the pain.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:58 pm

Arkane wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:
Not true. Example: Say you buy a Spud receiver already bent &welded - the original purchaser would have it transferred on a 4473. You also buy a kit from Apex. You assemble it for yourself. At that point you don't have to add any additional markings. Five years down the road times get tight and you have to sell it off. you MUST at a minimum as per ATF rules add your info. The guidance given is that the original manufacturer of the receiver (NDS in our example) was for the receiver only and not the completed firearm. Since the home builder was the actual manufacturer of the firearm then 27 CFR 478 marking rules apply. The bottom line is when it comes to transfers the ATF makes no distinction between a licensed manufacturer and a home builder when it comes to marking requirements at transfer. Feel free to query tech branch - they'll send you the same info. Cover your ass and add the info - it ain't worth the pain.
I'm an FFL01. He's right.

Yes. I'm from Socal. Do we know each other? :)

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:25 am

I can see allot of grey area there. At what point in the process does one no longer have to add their info? How many parts can I change before I have "built" a gun. This is all academic for me but for another it may save a trip to "pound me in the ass" prison.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

moab

Post by moab » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:32 am

Kommander wrote:I can see allot of grey area there. At what point in the process does one no longer have to add their info? How many parts can I change before I have "built" a gun. This is all academic for me but for another it may save a trip to "pound me in the ass" prison.
You don't have to add your info from the get go. It's only once you want to sell to someone else that you have to put your marks on it. The ATF just has rules about what has to be on a weapon when you sell it. Not if your building it yourself.

This is why some prefer to build from flats too. As your actually building the receiver yourself too. So you as the original manufacturer don't have to mark it or notify anyone that you've built it. It's your private property. It's only until you want to sell something that you then have to mark it and pass it thru an FFL.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:35 am

In addition, the receiver is "the" firearm. As soon as you buy a completed receiver to do your build. It's a gun.

Now if your asking about at what point does a bent flat become a receiver. I'm not sure. I've never built one. But I do know that you can sell bent flats without rails installed and without holes as 80% receivers. And not have to pass those thru an FFL. So I would conclude that as soon as you do anything to that bent flat it now becomes a receiver and weapon.

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by Maast » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:48 pm

I just wanted to resurrect this old thread - Moab and the linked info he's provided is extremely well done and useful. Even sticky-worth.

I bumped into it when starting my own AK build, though in my case I'm using a Childers 80% prebent receiver blank and drilled my own holes.

I gotta say though that even though I already had a pretty good drill press and the HF 12 ton press - the sheer amount of tooling required has surprised me and ak-builder now has a good chunk of my money for their rivet jigs and other miscellaneous tooling. Of course once the first one is done and the tooling acquired the rest of the armory building will go faster and a heck of a lot cheaper.

edit: BTW, I made my own spot welder out of two (huge) 55000uf capacitors I had laying around, six 500F amazon chimart supercapacitors ($26), a 12V standard truck battery and a 25A B&D car battery charger - along with some solid ground wire copper scraps and other odds and ends I had laying around. It worked well enough.

Thanks again Moab
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:30 pm

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Something worthy of adding to this thread, is Tothtools. http://www.tothtool.com/AK47-Tools_c_1.html Which makes building an AK super easy and a lot lower cost. It removes a bunch of the higher cost tools that were used previously. And there is a youtube video series showing using these tools to build an AK on a kitchen table, seriously he built an AK mostly off his kitchen table. Videos can be found here http://www.tothtool.com/Instructional-Videos_ep_42.html

I ended up using the Tothtools to build my AK and in fact discovery of them is part of what made me think I could take on the task. Several years and many rounds later my AK is still running fine. Though I do have plans to strip the duracoat paint off and redo it with a cerakote eventually.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”