A few questions about the $299 Saigas

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

A few questions about the $299 Saigas

Post by AS556 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm seriously considering picking one of these up in 5.45 at that price, but I intend to just keep it the way it is, potentially never converting it.I have a few questions hopefully someone can help me with.

Standard 74 mags fit, correct?I was told that if you use them, you will not be in compliance with 922r, so what would I need to change to allow me to use 74 mags?Also in the pictures it looks like the barrel is not threaded, does that mean I can't use a muzzle brake?Is it difficult to stay on target without one?Are they the same quality mechanically as say an SGL31?Just thought I'd ask before I waste a few hundred bucks.

If any of you own or have shot one please chime in.

Thanks.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Re: A few questions about the $299 Saigas

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:57 pm

The 5.45 Saigas are what Arsenal starts with to make their SGL31's.

With some google-fu, you can find everything you need to know about 922 parts compliance for them.
Last edited by Kutter_0311 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

E

Post by E » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:05 pm

AK47Heaven wrote:I'm seriously considering picking one of these up in 5.45 at that price, but I intend to just keep it the way it is, potentially never converting it.I have a few questions hopefully someone can help me with.

Standard 74 mags fit, correct?I was told that if you use them, you will not be in compliance with 922r, so what would I need to change to allow me to use 74 mags?Also in the pictures it looks like the barrel is not threaded, does that mean I can't use a muzzle brake?Is it difficult to stay on target without one?Are they the same quality mechanically as say an SGL31?Just thought I'd ask before I waste a few hundred bucks.

Thanks.
From what I've read, it will not take standard magazines, not without some work. I cannot vouch for the threaded barrel, but they are the same mechanical quality as an SGL31. They are the base rifle Arsenal converts into its "original" (versus sporting) configuration. There are some parts changes, in order to me 922r compatible, but they are solid rifles.
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:18 pm

E wrote:
AK47Heaven wrote:I'm seriously considering picking one of these up in 5.45 at that price, but I intend to just keep it the way it is, potentially never converting it.I have a few questions hopefully someone can help me with.

Thanks.
From what I've read, it will not take standard magazines, not without some work. I cannot vouch for the threaded barrel, but they are the same mechanical quality as an SGL31. They are the base rifle Arsenal converts into its "original" (versus sporting) configuration. There are some parts changes, in order to me 922r compatible, but they are solid rifles.
I was under the impression that Saigas in 7.62x39 need bullet guides but the Saigas in 5.45 will take 74 mags.

Girthquake

Post by Girthquake » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:00 am

My buddy who's truly into Saigas just told me that the 5.45 doesn't need a bullet guide to accept standard mags. If you can find some domestically made magazines, as long as they're legal in your area, you shouldn't have to play the 922r game. From what I've seen new production magazines made in America count as 3 domestically made parts for the 922r compliance.

I'm from NY and high capacity magazines are illegal. So if I want to use one it has to be pre 1994 production and that means foriegn made, so for me I have to do the conversion if I want to use the magazines. But if new high capacity mags are legal for you just buy American made and you should be good. Just for a disclaimer I'm not a lawyer and I don't have an extensive knowledge of 922r.

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:25 am

Yes it takes AK-74 mags out of the box.

922r doesn't have anything to do with unmodified Saigas, until you put a high-cap magazine on it that is a sporting rifle. Once you do that though, you are bound. It doesn't matter if the high-cap magazine is made in the USA or not, you would have to get under the parts count which in practice means converting the stock and fire control group. We just had a thread on this like a week ago.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

AS556

Post by AS556 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:00 am

Theres no other way to make it 922r compliant aside from the stock and FCG?

jrswanson1

Post by jrswanson1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:53 am

AK47Heaven wrote:Theres no other way to make it 922r compliant aside from the stock and FCG?
That is correct. Not enough US made parts for compliance.

praharin

Post by praharin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:19 pm

jrswanson1 wrote:
AK47Heaven wrote:Theres no other way to make it 922r compliant aside from the stock and FCG?
That is correct. Not enough US made parts for compliance.
What If you choose to replace the receiver and barrel instead :gonk:
Jungle Recon Trooper wrote: The jungle does strange things to a man
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Adding as many ponies to as many threads as humanly possible.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:35 pm

If you put a Tapco forend on it and replace the gas piston, you could be 922r compliant with a US MADE mag.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

ninja steve

Post by ninja steve » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:40 pm

I don't know about the bullet guide but the mag will fit if you file the catch down a bit on one of the 7.62 guns, might be the same on a 5.45. Convert it, you'll be glad you did.

AS556

Post by AS556 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:14 pm

I completely agree with everyone that it would be best to just buy one and convert it, but I already have an AKM and was really just looking for a good cheap rifle to burn through 5.45 with.I never intended on converting it.

I will just wait to buy an SGL31 when I have the cash, although my next rifle purchase in that price range is going to be a PSA AR.But before that I need to find a good CCW gun.Looking at Glock 26/27s,LCP,DB9,Kahr PM9...so many choices..

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:45 pm

The SGL31 was one of the absolutely most enjoyable rifles I ever learned to run. It was the first fighting carbine I ever owned. I regret selling it, but I sold it to get my Daniel Defense middy, and I made money of the AK even after the multiple thousands of rounds through the bore.

However, I really wish I had kept it. Nowadays, after learning how to convert AKs and do everything necessary to do it, and working at a shop that has all the tools to do it right, do it pretty, and everything else...

I think for ease, I'd just buy another SGL31, if I wanted a 5.45. Maybe I'd get a kit gun, but I dunno.

Seriously if you want a 5.45 and you ever want to be at all 'tacitcal' with it, just get an SGL31.

If you just want to play around with a sporting gun in 5.45, cool, get a straight imported Saiga. Trigger sucks dick though.

AS556

Post by AS556 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:13 pm

JamesCannon wrote:The SGL31 was one of the absolutely most enjoyable rifles I ever learned to run. It was the first fighting carbine I ever owned. I regret selling it, but I sold it to get my Daniel Defense middy, and I made money of the AK even after the multiple thousands of rounds through the bore.

However, I really wish I had kept it. Nowadays, after learning how to convert AKs and do everything necessary to do it, and working at a shop that has all the tools to do it right, do it pretty, and everything else...

I think for ease, I'd just buy another SGL31, if I wanted a 5.45. Maybe I'd get a kit gun, but I dunno.

Seriously if you want a 5.45 and you ever want to be at all 'tacitcal' with it, just get an SGL31.

If you just want to play around with a sporting gun in 5.45, cool, get a straight imported Saiga. Trigger sucks dick though.
I love Kalashnikovs and am very torn between a PSA AR and an Arsenal SGL31....I clearly need both but which first?Decisions,decisions..

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:00 pm

AK47Heaven wrote:I love Kalashnikovs and am very torn between a PSA AR and an Arsenal SGL31....I clearly need both but which first?Decisions,decisions..
If you already run a 7.62 AK, buy a 5.45 and keep a standard manual of arms.

5.45 has a lot more reach than 7.62, good to have...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”