Mini-14 .233 or .308?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gimpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Both versions), Zombieland, Fido, Shaun of the Dead, And Night of the Living Dead.

Mini-14 .233 or .308?

Post by Gimpy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:12 pm

I want to buy a Mini-14. I have a small problem, I don't know what caliber to get. It seems like they are only available in .223 or .308. I'm thinking .233 would be a good choice because it is inexpensive and highly available. On the other hand, .308 is fairly available and has alittle more knockdown power. Can anybody give me alittle advice with this decision?

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Re: Mini-14 .233 or .308?

Post by Dasho101 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:32 pm

its .223 and 7.62x39 (aka 7.62 Russian) for a similar platform in .308 your looking ant m14/m1a. go 223 there easier to find and deck out
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:57 pm

Definitely go for the 5.56 (.223). The 7.62x39 Minis are prone to a lot more issues. You can check out The High Road for a whole lot of Mini info.

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:04 pm

You'll want to use Ruger factory magazines. Ruger makes 30 rd mags for the Mini-14 and 20rd mags for the Mini-30.

I have a Mini-30 for a "truck gun". You can pretty much get the same accessories for either the Mini-14 or the Mini-30.
Last edited by RickOShea on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:13 pm

Gimpy wrote:I have a small problem. I want to buy a Mini-14...
Fixed that for you... :wink:

I kid, I kid. There's a bit of Mini-14 hate on this site, you might get some ribbing. Here's a link to a previous (and long) thread on the topic, might be worth a look through if you haven't done so already.

http://new.robotsquad.org/forum/viewtop ... 09&t=78939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:14 pm

I own a Ruger Mini-30 and the only issue I have ever had was feeding issues while using after market magazines. I now use Ruger factory twenty rounders which perform flawlessly.

To answer your question the best I can I will have ask you this,

Do you want shorter range with a little more of a punch (Mini-30) or much longer range accurancy with less of a punch (Mini-14)?

Just a heads up. Ruger factory magazines are a little spendy but worth it.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:52 pm

I have Mini-14s in .223 and like them. That said if you want a 7.62x39mm rifle get an AK.

A decent AK will likely be cheaper than the Mini-14 and the mags will definately be cheaper. If you want a Mini-14 get it in .233.

Now the Mini-14 also now comes in 6.8mm SPC. This is a nice caliber, but if you are going that route I would suggest an AR platform.

My $.02.

weiss27md

Post by weiss27md » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:57 pm

I like 7.62x39mm but I have heard a lot the Mini-30 (Mini-14 in 7.62x39mm) is unreliable. Either get the Mini-14 or an AK-47.

austin93906
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, zombieland, etc

Post by austin93906 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:05 am

If you get a mini, make sure its a 580 series. These are the newest production rifles, where they switched from the pencil contoured barrels to ones that are thicker, and are less prone to the accuracy issues of older minis.

Two of the best mods you can do are a scout rail (either aMega ranges or Ultimak, I went with the a Mega ranges mount and love it) and a barrel strut (the best being the accu-strut) which both help with the structural rigidity of the barrel. My testimonial is on the accustrut site, and I definately saw an improvement.

All in all, the mini has proven to be a reliable rifle for me. The only problem I had was a mag that started acting up.

Here's a picture of her as she sits now:

Braxton wrote:So, How does it feel to be Batman? An obsolete rifle using, shingle shooting Batman, but Batman non the less.
gelgoog wrote:Hey....this is America, if at first you do not succeed keep being lazy until you get bitched at enough that you eventually get it right.
Why u should use Snap Caps

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:16 am

My Mini-30 truck gun. I did have to fiddle with the gas system, but only because I shortened the barrel from 18.5" to 15.5" and permed a flash hider to it.

Runs like a top now with a slightly opened up gas port bushing.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

dancenbear
BANNED

Post by dancenbear » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:39 am

Last edited by dancenbear on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

austin93906

Post by austin93906 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

dancenbear wrote:if you reload ammunition i wouldn't suggest a mini at all! i dont know if its just mine or what but i shit you not the thing throws casings 15 yards !! in my opinion if you want to shoot a 223 get an ar if you prefer 762x39 get an ak ! you also expressed interest in the 308 and the m1a's have very similar operating systems to the mini's and are awesome rifles !! i have a mini-14, ar's ,ak's and m1a's and have put thousands of rounds through all of them, and by far i prefer the m1a's
I thing throwing casings that far is normal for minis. Mine throws them as far if not further than that lol
Braxton wrote:So, How does it feel to be Batman? An obsolete rifle using, shingle shooting Batman, but Batman non the less.
gelgoog wrote:Hey....this is America, if at first you do not succeed keep being lazy until you get bitched at enough that you eventually get it right.

praharin

Post by praharin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:48 am

austin93906 wrote: I thing throwing casings that far is normal for minis. Mine throws them as far if not further than that lol
There was a time when powerful ejection was thought to be a benefit in a fighting rifle... :roll:
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:27 am

praharin wrote:
austin93906 wrote: I thing throwing casings that far is normal for minis. Mine throws them as far if not further than that lol
There was a time when powerful ejection was thought to be a benefit in a fighting rifle... :roll:
Now everybody just wants them to automatically sort and arrange spent brass in a neat little pile to their right. :lol:
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:41 am

Dasho101 wrote:its .223 and 7.62x39 (aka 7.62 Russian) for a similar platform in .308 your looking ant m14/m1a. go 223 there easier to find and deck out
x39 is "Soviet"

If he got to ordering 7.62 "Russian", he'd prolly get a spam can of 7.62x54r show up at his door. This would be awkward at the range when he was trying to stuff them into Mini mags.
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

strm_trpr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Evil Dead, Dawn of the dead

Post by strm_trpr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:19 pm

I sold my mini 14. I could not get it acurate enough for me and the magazines were too expensive. I got an AR setup instead and am enjoying it much more.
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." ~Ayn Rand~

Gimpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Both versions), Zombieland, Fido, Shaun of the Dead, And Night of the Living Dead.

Post by Gimpy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks for the info so far. I've heard about the mag problem before and can live with factory mags if I had too. I really like .223 ammo and it seems a lot of others do too. Mini-14's new run about $650. AR's (correct me if I'm wrong) seem to start at around $900 for a Base model. I've seen a lot of used mini's for sale at gun shops that were still around $600, why is that? I've got great bolt action rifles, but I want a semi-auto. I don't want to look at the gun I get with regret.

Crazy Wolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Crazy Wolf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Gimpy wrote:Thanks for the info so far. I've heard about the mag problem before and can live with factory mags if I had too. I really like .223 ammo and it seems a lot of others do too. Mini-14's new run about $650. AR's (correct me if I'm wrong) seem to start at around $900 for a Base model. I've seen a lot of used mini's for sale at gun shops that were still around $600, why is that? I've got great bolt action rifles, but I want a semi-auto. I don't want to look at the gun I get with regret.
You are. Decent quality (according to other members of the site) ARs from Palmetto State Armory start out at about $600.

I think the opinion on Mini-14s might be more vitriolic here than the mere merits of the firearm would warrant, but it still remains that the AR-15 platform tends to offer better reliability, accuracy, magazine capacity (outside of certain legal jurisdictions), parts availability, and Barbie-like levels of accessorization, being the primary small arm of the USA and many other countries around the world (as well as a popular choice among law enforcement organizations and civilians).

If you're thinking about getting the Mini-14, see if you can fire it and an AR-15, to compare them. Most of the objective analysis points to the AR-15 being better. You might find that the Mini-14 suits you better. If you can try before you buy, then do so. If you cannot, then default to the default, the AR-15.
Nim's text key: SARCASM, WTF R U DOIN, Nice, I like, Inane statement
The phrase "surgical strike" might be more acceptable if it were common to perform surgery with high explosives. (G. Carlin)
ImageImage

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:25 pm

nateted4 wrote:
Dasho101 wrote:its .223 and 7.62x39 (aka 7.62 Russian) for a similar platform in .308 your looking ant m14/m1a. go 223 there easier to find and deck out
x39 is "Soviet"

If he got to ordering 7.62 "Russian", he'd prolly get a spam can of 7.62x54r show up at his door. This would be awkward at the range when he was trying to stuff them into Mini mags.

lol ya i had a bran fart moment
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

Gimpy

Post by Gimpy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:42 pm

Great site. I like that deal a lot. I;m going to look into the AR's/M1A's alittle more.

austin93906

Mini-14 .233 or .308?

Post by austin93906 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:56 pm

praharin wrote:
Its a good thing in my book. To me it means that my rifle is doing everything it can to get that casing out of there.

To the people to the right of me at a shooting range however, it means im automatically an inconsiderate, evil dick, and that they should forcefully throw the brass back at me and inform me of said judgement lol

Arkham Drifter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1978 Dawn Of The Dead...nuff said.

Post by Arkham Drifter » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Here in California they're quite popular due in part to the State's moronic gun laws. Despite everything I've 'heard' over the years regarding the Mini-14's poor performance, my eyewitness experience has been quite different. Sure, the platform is far from perfect but I've seen Mini-14's hang with tricked-out AR's in Carbine Classes...Guys with Mini-14's performing super-fast tactical reloads and putting rounds on target out to 385 yds all day long....Maybe not Minute-Of-Angle but Minute-Of-Person, no problem. I'd say go for it.
PETER IS MY HOMEBOY

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:20 pm

Crazy Wolf wrote:You are. Decent quality (according to other members of the site) ARs from Palmetto State Armory start out at about $600.

I think the opinion on Mini-14s might be more vitriolic here than the mere merits of the firearm would warrant, but it still remains that the AR-15 platform tends to offer better reliability, accuracy, magazine capacity (outside of certain legal jurisdictions), parts availability, and Barbie-like levels of accessorization, being the primary small arm of the USA and many other countries around the world (as well as a popular choice among law enforcement organizations and civilians).

If you're thinking about getting the Mini-14, see if you can fire it and an AR-15, to compare them. Most of the objective analysis points to the AR-15 being better. You might find that the Mini-14 suits you better. If you can try before you buy, then do so. If you cannot, then default to the default, the AR-15.
+1 I've shot them side by side with my KAC SR-15 and aside from the increased recoil from a mid length gas system and slightly worse trigger pull they are a very nice gun for the money. I liked them so much I am going to use one of PSA's pinned 14.7" uppers on my next build. The hammer forged barrels are made for them by FN and they are double chrome lined like the FN 249 barrels. You can't touch that in a $450 upper. Everything is milspec construction as far as I can tell. The only complaint I have heard is that the buffer tube, while milspec, is made with a slightly different metal than other manufacturers. I didn't notice any difference on the gun I shot and I really don't think it's a big deal. They are cheap because they skip the middle man. The customer is basically paying what the dealer would. :mrgreen:
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

Cummins/Knight's Armament Company/Colt/Barrett/

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”