Finding just the right scope for me, need help

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Space Jockey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Night of the Living Dead

Finding just the right scope for me, need help

Post by Space Jockey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:28 am

Doing some research on rifle scopes since I will probably end up getting one. One of the hardest things for me has been finding a reticle I like and finding one that has some sort of rangefinding equivalent so I don't just wild guess where to put the scope when the target is say 300 yards away. This one appears to be pretty good so far based on my needs and wants. It appears that they are only accurate at judging range correctly when the scope is on the highest power though which is somewhat of an issue. I'd prefer to keep it on a lower power and then zoom in if necessary due to the areas I hunt in. how would accuracy be affected if I left it on say 4x instead of 9x? Would a modern rangefinder reticle also have this necessity?

Some other ones I've been checking out are the Leupold Boone and Crockett reticle, but they appear to have a 200 yard zero while I want a 100 yard zero scope. I suppose a standard mil-dot may work but I really don't like a scope with any marking in the top half of it, know what I mean? Although if each dot was basically 100 yards difference and I could adjust the scope on it, I could learn to like it. A tactical milling reticle is also nice, assuming I can find one specific to my bullet loads. There are just so many choices and it all has to fit in about a 3-9x40WA scope of some type.

Any suggestions, ideas, etc would be nice.

I'll be putting this on a .308 Marlin Express if that helps.
Fortis fortuna adiuvat

Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Re: Finding just the right scope for me, need help

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:42 am

I run a Falcon Optics Menace 4-14x44mm FFP Tactical Rifle Scope on my 700 and I love the thing, only gripe are the knobs are a bit soft. Here is the manufactures page.

Lodewijk

Post by Lodewijk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:51 am

I think you're going to have a tricky time finding all of those features without a conventional reticle (i.e. something open similar to a German No. 4) and that isn't calibrated for a high power setting.

The only rangefinding scope I can think of offhand that isn't a mildot and isn't a conventional crosshair-style reticle that is calibrated at a lower power is a PSO-1 and that's not what you want on a deer gun.

You shouldn't have to blindly guess about putting a reticle on a target 300 yards away with .308 Express. If you set your hunting zero a couple-three inches high at 100 yards, you'll be a little low at 200 and about 7" low at 300 per Google. Drop with a setting like that is 20"-plus at 400 yards if I'm reading all this right. It might be easier to just get a rangefinder, since they're not horrifically expensive, and then use a normal BDC reticle in combination. I mean shit, Cabelas is selling a .308 Express compensation scope for like $40 right now.

I'm assuming you're talking about shooting deer with this. You're really seeing 300-yard shots on deer in Washington? I always assumed it looked more like my neck of the woods.

Also, what scope are you talking about in the first paragraph? There's no link and I don't see a picture.

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:35 am

Lodewijk wrote: It might be easier to just get a rangefinder, since they're not horrifically expensive, and then use a normal BDC reticle in combination.
This. Getting out further than 400 yards, getting the range a little wrong can make you miss by quite a bit. Using mildots or similar ranging reticles is always going to involve guesswork since you have to estimate the size of the target in order to use it.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

munchie3409

Post by munchie3409 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:02 am

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that you will want a FFP scope if you want to range on variable magnification. You will not be able to range with a mil dot in SFP except on one setting (normally 10x). If you get a fixed power say 10x, it won't matter if you have FFP or SFP since it's not a variable. If 300 yards is your max limit, I wouldn't go too crazy on which optic you choose.

Some folks do not like traditional mil dots since the dots cover up so much of the target. You could get a modified mil dot that uses hashes instead of dots. The hash lines are very thin and you can still see your target. Take a look at the IOR MP8 reticle. I've owned a couple of these scopes with the MP8 reticle and they work very well. It is my preferred reticle choice compared traditional mil dot.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”