Moly Coating Bullets: A Tutorial

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Moly Coating Bullets: A Tutorial

Post by Keith B » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:45 am

The idea of moly coating your own bullets has been around for almost 20 years, there are a few advantages to using moly, and several disadvantages, this will not work for everybody.
I moly coat bullets for two of my hunting rifles. The reasons that I do it are, A) easier cleaning, and B) reduced pressures. I noticed that Barnes bullets caused higher pressures over regular bullets in my 25/06, and I was looking for a solution to help that. I moly coated a batch of 115gr TSX bullets and after testing, had the same accuracy with no pressure signs on the primer. In my Sako 30/06, I have shot Moly Coated bullets out of it for almost a decade. I have noticed significant lower fouling, I clean the bore with two cloth patches after every range trip (the second patch is almost always clean), and I scrub it with a brush and completely clean it about every 250 rounds.
The one drawback to moly bullets is that you have to develop a moly coating in the bore before you will see any improvement. You will also see a loss of accuracy until this coating is developed. For my Sako, it takes about 15 rounds. For the Winchester in 25/06 it takes almost 30.

Two years ago I bought Lymans moly coating kit from Midway USA. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=432100. It comes with everything you need to moly coat you bullets on your own tumbler. You simply remove your bowl and install the included bowls.

Here is how I do it:
Everything you need.
First, new clean bullets.
Add bullets to tumbler, with ceramic media and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Moly.
Notice that my hands are gloved up. Moly is a bitch to wash off your hands, and if you get any oils on the bullets, the moly will not stick.
Cover and tumble for 3-4 hours.
Remove the bullets from the ceramic media and add to clean corn cob media.
Tumble for 5 minutes.
No longer, you are simply trying to polish and remove excess moly. If you go longer you will remove too much and have to start over.
The finished product, note that the bullets are not black. A good coating will be smooth and silvery not dark or nearly black with a dimpled surface. Any of these will cause excessive caking, and other problems.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Zell959

Re: Moly Coating Bullets: A Tutorial

Post by Zell959 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 am

You mention that moly coating has several disadvantages and may not be for everyone, but getting the barrel coated doesn't seem like that big a minus. What are the other downsides to moly coated bullets?

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:48 am

Here ya go:

Moly Downsides
April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.
Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

~Mike F.

Well I think I'm gonna reroute my trip, I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped if I went to L.A. via Omaha...

Zell959

Post by Zell959 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:55 pm

jeep45238 wrote:Here ya go:

Moly Downsides

I was asking for him to elaborate on something he specifically mentioned in the first post of his tutorial, which is ironically the first hit when one clicks your lmgtfy link.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Zell959 wrote:You mention that moly coating has several disadvantages and may not be for everyone, but getting the barrel coated doesn't seem like that big a minus. What are the other downsides to moly coated bullets?
Probably the biggest downside is you cannot bounce back and forth between coated and non coated bullets. I dont have exact numbers, but shooting a regular bullet will remove some of your moly 'seasoning' and cause a lack of accuracy until the barrel is either cleaned, or reseasoned. If you are a shooter that likes to use different bullet choices for different jobs, you will have to plan acordingly.

There is some speculation that over heating the barrel can cause the Moly to cake, creating presure spikes. However, I know a lot of varmit shooters that use moly coated bullets, so this point may be hyperbole.

One other item that I forgot to mention in the original post; You can expect a slight velocity increase on moly vs non-moly bullets. I have noticed a 35 fps increase with 150 gr bullets out of my 30/06. While not huge, it is worth noting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

minengr

Post by minengr » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:24 pm

I haven't tried moly, yet. Mostly because I haven't built a bench since moving, and I'm still unpacking.

Another forum I frequent is VERY pro-moly. From what I gather, the single most important thing is to "surgically clean" the barrel before using moly. To ensure all copper is removed I highly recommend using Barnes CR 10.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

maddmatt

Post by maddmatt » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:23 pm

Do you have any experience moly coating cast bullets?

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:17 pm

maddmatt wrote:Do you have any experience moly coating cast bullets?
I personally do not. I have read that Moly coated lead bullets increases airborne lead numbers higher than I feel comfortable with. Also, most of your cast bullet lubes already accomplish the same job.

Here is the major types of ammo that I use in my 30/06.
From left to right,
1) 50gr Barnes Varmit Grenade, encased in 30 cal sabot (no moly needed and the plastic seems not to affect the seasoning)
2)150 Gr Grand Slam, my general hunting bullet
3)150 Gr Winchester Power Point, My all around plinking round. Point of impact is 1/2" higher then the Grand Slams
4)150 Gr Fail Safe (Somebody asked for Black Talons), they dont shoot quite as well as the others, but for penetration they cant be beat.
5)180 Gr XP3, the only factory load I shoot (and the only 180), mostly because you cant buy the bullets yet.

As you can see, by moly coating my bullets I have just as much versatility with Moly coated bullets as I do with non coated bullets.

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Pooker

Post by Pooker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:19 pm

I'm really glad I clicked on this thread. I had no idea what "Moly Coating/coated bullets" were, but I recently bought a box of 168gr .308 match bullets that are moly coated and I had no clue what it was.
Thanks!
Pew Pew Pew!

PigBoat48

Post by PigBoat48 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:37 pm

Appreciate your Tutorial, and find it really helpful. I use Moly bullets, finding that my rifles really like them, & super accurate! I just purchased your set-up from MidSouth & am looking forward to using it. BTW, your bullets look really good. How did you clean them?? I have heard a couple of ways. The Varmint Hunter mag article had the user cleaning with Dawn dish soap, then rinsing; another article I read said use Alcohol to clean - easier to dry off; lastly, a gunsmith friend suggested paint thinner. Anyway, liked your Tutorial

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:22 pm

I generally put them in a clean rag and hose them down with brake cleaner.

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

leatherface_y2k

Post by leatherface_y2k » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:20 pm

I have a friend who is a match shooter, Camp Perry every year, etc., and he moly coats all of his bullets. Has for years. He mentions the same benefits. And, as you mentioned, the most important thing is not to overdo the coating. I've started hinting to him that I'd like to buy some of his ammo.. He has 10k loaded. But he wants to get to 20k before he'd consider selling any quantity (to be fair he DOES have I believe 18 AR's, most scattered out at various locations... he thinks ahead and plans).
Wish I had a pic of his 600 yd. rifle. Looks like a standard H-Bar but the thing weighs about 16 lbs. I'm no match shooter but he wins Gold Medals at Perry, so if he believes in moly coating I believe too.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:37 am

Great thread! Does moly work well in chrome barrels? Does anyone run moly bullets in a fighting carbine?
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:Great thread! Does moly work well in chrome barrels? Does anyone run moly bullets in a fighting carbine?
I'm wondering if the rapid fire and hot barrel aspect of a fighting carbine would cause caking. It's something to look into.

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Moly aside - I like the 30.06 selection you posted, lots of variety and purpose with the loads. The saboted varmit load is way cool, reasonable accuracy with that setup?

NXP

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:39 pm

northernxposure wrote:Moly aside - I like the 30.06 selection you posted, lots of variety and purpose with the loads. The saboted varmit load is way cool, reasonable accuracy with that setup?

NXP
Still playing with it. Shoots 3" higher then my 150 gr loads at 100 yards, group size is 1 1/2 to 2". In comparison my 150's all clover leaf into 1/2" groups at that range.

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”