New Rifle & Range Report

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

pyratemime

New Rifle & Range Report

Post by pyratemime » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Back at the end of December I finally sold my left-handed Stag and with that money and a little from Santa I was able to buy a new S&W M&P-15 MOE. I am very happy with the rifle since at the moment I am only an occasional shooter and with some of the military discounts I was able to get it was very affordable. After having had the rifle for a few weeks I was finally able to take it out shooting this weekend as part of my birthday present to myself. Like a moron though I forgot the camera, so sorry no target pics.

Range Report:
A friend and I met at the Bullet Hole, an outdoor range here in San Antonio. We were shooting on a 25 meter range because along with shooting the rifle we had pistols and a shotgun along and had to make the compromise so that we could shoot everything we wanted to during the time we had. It was cool, in the 50's, and drizzly. The only ammo I had readily available was some Monarch from Academy, which is Russian steel case, and some Wolf military. Both in 55-grain FMJ. I used a combination of my P-Mag and a surplus USGI aluminum magazine with a black follower, because again as a dumb-butt I forgot my nice new USGI mags with the gray anti-tilt followers.

First 5 rounds were slow and into the berm just to see how well everything functioned. I had some concern after reading Arch's buyer's guide but am happy to report everything functioned well.

Please reference the above target for my shot placement descriptions.

Next 5 rounds were aimed at a zeroing target, and I had two along the top left edge of the center diamond and three at roughly 1R/1D. After adjusting the sights I pulled a 10 round group tighter and had probably a 2.25" to 3" spread between farthest points but all grouped on the lower right side of the center diamond. Not the best grouping ever but for low-to-mid grade ammo and someone who doesn't shoot much I was happy.

In the next two 10 round strings at the lower left and lower right targets I was shooting fairly consistently low and to the right being anywhere from .5 to 1 inch off the bulls-eye at my closest shot and with my typical 2.25" to 3" spread. These past 35 rounds were all fired sitting at a table with my elbows planted but no rest for the gun itself.

The last 20 rounds I fired were from a standing position using a post for support and had 17 of 20 clustered around the upper left hand target. Spread was about 3.25" from farthest points but I did have a nice group of 4 inside the center of the diamond. This I attribute more to luck and volume of fire than any particular skill.

One item I notice as I was standing and firing was a rather annoying click inside the buffer tube after each shot. Please enlighten me as to what this is likely to be.

Overall assessment is that for my current situation, having neither the time or the money for a significant amount of training and range time, that the rifle is likely more accurate than I am and is robust enough to handle the workouts I will be able to put it through. I do want to make some of the basic upgrades I have seen advocated here like an H-buffer, decent sling, and a flashlight. I am happy with my new toy and it's performance. I am all the happier because I am an S&W fanboy and so having one of their rifles just makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

3Fingas
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (Original and Remake), 28 Days Later - Part Uno
Location: Texas: "Land of Big Open Skies and Freedom-loving Patriots"

Re: New Rifle & Range Report

Post by 3Fingas » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks for the range report. I shoot at the Bullet Hole often and I also used the private bays area to get my initial
zero.

I have a S&W M&P 15 PSX. It's the piston-variant and I am very pleased with it.

As for ammo, the Wall Mart on Potranco usually has reasonably-priced Remington or Federal ammo that will give you marginally improved groups on the range. I have shot with Monarch and it does tend to perform a little worse than the brass training ammo I mentioned.

Some of the more accurate training ammo I have used is the Hornady Steel-cased ammo. I usually shoot it better than xm-193. There's a pretty good deal on it if you can travel up to Austin to buy it. Ordering it through the mail makes it almost as expensive the Wall Mart brass ammo.

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.asp ... ADY-97XXEL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyhow, enjoy your new weapon.
PEDZ - People for the Efficient Disposal of Zombies
.... It's a dirty job, but someone has got to do it.

I may not have been born in Texas, but I got here
just as fast as I could!

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Normally I would have gone shopping for ammo before going to the range but I had 360 rounds of the monarch/wolf that a friend gave me so free ammo is good ammo.

Would you be interested in meeting up for ZS shoot in March?

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

3Fingas
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (Original and Remake), 28 Days Later - Part Uno
Location: Texas: "Land of Big Open Skies and Freedom-loving Patriots"

Post by 3Fingas » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:34 pm

pyratemime wrote:Normally I would have gone shopping for ammo before going to the range but I had 360 rounds of the monarch/wolf that a friend gave me so free ammo is good ammo.

Would you be interested in meeting up for ZS shoot in March?
Absolutely. We (some of the Central Texas ZS Members and I) have already done two range trips together, one being at the Bullet Hole. We were thinking about having another one in Feb or March.

We will send you a pm and post a thread when we narrow down a set of dates for the range trip.
PEDZ - People for the Efficient Disposal of Zombies
.... It's a dirty job, but someone has got to do it.

I may not have been born in Texas, but I got here
just as fast as I could!

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”