The All Purpose AK Thread

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:41 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Just a heads up, Magpul is now making a Zhukov-S stock for Yugo AKs.

I'm not sure when they'll be available, but I did see an announcement on either Facebook or Aim Surplus about it.
Probably a good idea, I see those all over the stores. Nice looking, but I'll take chrome, thanks...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:43 pm

Just a heads up. This happened to me years ago. But I continue to read bad posts about this guy. The vendors to avoid thread in Bug Out Gear reminded me of the guy:

Don't ever buy anything from Dave Michener at Elite Firearms in Hurst, TX. He ripped me off for a $700 AK47 pistol several years ago. And several others have had problems with him doing the same. (This was before I started building my own.) His website doesn't work anymore. But here's his facebook page below. He was in an article of one of the major shooting mags too. Some years ago it used to be all over the front page of his website.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Fi ... 9977288359

Don't ever buy from this guy. He's a criminal. Long & short of it was I bought an AK pistol from him, it came to me with cracked welds, I sent it back for repair, never heard from him again. And I could never track him down.

Here's the google complaint page.

https://www.google.com/search?q=elite+f ... e+michener
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:17 pm

Okay, gonna open my can of worms here.
I recently got interested in the AK variants after discussing my future rifle purchase with my wife, I only have a 15-22 (which is awesome for reliability, but it is a 22lr) but I want/need a center fire rifle, and since I'm not super rich, one rifle may be all I will ever get. So the rifle I get has to be one that requires few replacement parts and the other usual requirements, then I got to watching the AK Operators Union on Youtube and was greatly impressed with what they could do to an AK variant and it would still run; I've always liked the look of an AK, but I come from an AR background. So now I am very heavily considering jumping on the AK variants.

So long story short, I'm looking for an AK variant that's $500-$700, hopefully with a side rail for mounting a red dot like a Primary Arms Micro, will be upgrading it the forearm to one with a rail just so I can mount a light and a sling (left handed), and hopefully with a side folding stock (just would make it easier to take to the range and stuff).
Looking around at my local shops, there is:
Romanian WASR, I believe has side rail, fixed stock $575
MPAP, side rail, fixed stock $649
Yugo M70, no side rail, fixed stock $579
IO AKM, no side rail, fixed stock $569
RAS47, don't know if there is side rail, fixed stock $663
Looking online, prices are kind of all over the place. What do you guys think would be a good baseline? How much of a hassle is it to work around 922r?
Thanks in advance for the help, total AK variant newb.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:42 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:Okay, gonna open my can of worms here.
I recently got interested in the AK variants after discussing my future rifle purchase with my wife, I only have a 15-22 (which is awesome for reliability, but it is a 22lr) but I want/need a center fire rifle, and since I'm not super rich, one rifle may be all I will ever get. So the rifle I get has to be one that requires few replacement parts and the other usual requirements, then I got to watching the AK Operators Union on Youtube and was greatly impressed with what they could do to an AK variant and it would still run; I've always liked the look of an AK, but I come from an AR background. So now I am very heavily considering jumping on the AK variants.

So long story short, I'm looking for an AK variant that's $500-$700, hopefully with a side rail for mounting a red dot like a Primary Arms Micro, will be upgrading it the forearm to one with a rail just so I can mount a light and a sling (left handed), and hopefully with a side folding stock (just would make it easier to take to the range and stuff).
Looking online, prices are kind of all over the place. What do you guys think would be a good baseline? How much of a hassle is it to work around 922r?
I'm an AK builder. Not a retail rifle expert. Having said that. Iv'e been looking at the retail market lately out of curisoty. Now that it's cheaper to buy a rifle than to build one. (The good ole days are pretty much gone. Unless you just really want to be able to build an AK from scratch. Which is kind of cool.) But from my recent research the perfect combo would be the WASR with a Polish Beryl side folding stock (And a quad rail of your choosing - check amazon. Good deals to be found. Considering your budget. Which I respect.). Only place that has them (Beryl stocks) and they are on backorder. http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/EXCEL ... -p1602.htm They are very hard to come by these days. They are aluminum tubing wrapped in rubber. I sold one last year. Should have held onto it. But there are many options for folding buttstocks. Especially in plastic or whatever the fancy term is.

The WASR is made in the same Romanian plant that their military rifles are made in. And it's a standard AKM, unlike the Yugos', so it will take standard furniture. There used to be trouble with WASR's back in the day with trigger slap and sight cant. (You'll see complaints on the internet. But check the dates. It's from a long time ago.) But not anymore. I use to be down on them. But have recently had my mind opened to them. As they are about the best thing on the retail market today according to many of my other AK building friends over on Weapons Guild. Most of the US made AK's on your list have problems. Either breaking parts. Or questionable assemblage. But others can better speak to those issues. I'm not fully up on them.

You also can't go wrong with a Yugo. Good rifle. But they aren't standard AKM. So you need special (meaning limited selection) buttstocks and hand guards. And on your budget. I'd stick with standard AKM. As your selection of after market parts is much larger and therefore cheaper. That's my 2 cents. For what it's worth. I build AK's. But again, I am not a professional reviewer of retail rifles. The only thing possibly better than the WASR (but not on your list - for good reason - price) would be an Arsenal. And those start at a grand. :)

If your open to internet sales. Many sites will be offering specials this weekend. Some of the better ones include:

Atlantic Firearms
Classic Arms
Centerfire Systems

The best thing to do is check out www.gun-deals.com and search for deals on AK47's. It's an aggregator of sorts that compiles all the best deals from around the web. That and Slickguns.com.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:54 pm

Greatly appreciate the knowledge moab, I was thinking that the WASR is the best deal in my area, but I had seen the hate that you mentioned. The WASR is also coming from a very reputable gunsmith that I've dealt with in the past, he's the one who helped me when I had an SKS blow up on me :awesome: .

moab

Post by moab » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:09 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:Greatly appreciate the knowledge moab, I was thinking that the WASR is the best deal in my area, but I had seen the hate that you mentioned. The WASR is also coming from a very reputable gunsmith that I've dealt with in the past, he's the one who helped me when I had an SKS blow up on me :awesome: .
Definitely keep asking around and get as many opinions as you can. Here's that thread where they are discussed over on WG. http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index ... 29.new#new I was not a WASR fan. And you can see how they turned me back around about them.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:54 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:Okay, gonna open my can of worms here.

WASRs are good to go if newer/recent production (last ~8 years). If used, inspect them first to look for common problems. The particular rifle might have been imported a long time ago when problems were more common. I picked one up for fairly cheap on Gun Broker less than a month ago. It is a "ban" model, so I had to do some light smithing to it and I"ll never be able to mount a bayonet. Also, just realize you may have fitting issues and the spacers inside the receiver may need to be built up or re-shaped with JB Weld. Just be ready to do some minor work with a file or epoxy (I used a dremmel), though the guns made in the last 3-4 years should all be good to go. If you can hold and personally inspect the rifle, insert a few mags, etc, then you can check to see if it is good to go off the shelf.

Yugos can be tricky. The N-Paps are a lesser version. They are less robust, but I remember references to other issues as well. Read up on them if you are interested. The O-Pap, from what I have read, is the model to get if you want a Yugo. I find their ergonomics, on the fixed stock models, to be off, but that may just be a personal thing.

Do not touch the IO rifles. Google around, there are lots of issues with IO AKs. There are issues with the RAS47 as well (metallurgy), though maybe in the near future those will be resolved?

Give some thought to the Magpul MOE handguard and mounting some rail to them. $35 for a handguard and $5 to $10 for the rail sections (for polymer; aluminum ~$20) is a whole lot cheaper than $100 to $200 for a quality milled piece of aluminum and rail space. Plus I don't find rails comfortable and I don't like the weight. But go for what fits you best.

Magpul has a folding stock which, according to the AK Operators Union, is pretty neat. I have handled it and like it, but have not fired a rifle with one.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:20 pm

I was looking at the Zhukov set from Magpul, totally forgot about the MOE handguard. Caught between a Polish Folding stock for $75 and the Zhukov stock for $100.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:48 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:I was looking at the Zhukov set from Magpul, totally forgot about the MOE handguard. Caught between a Polish Folding stock for $75 and the Zhukov stock for $100.
If you don't buy the Polish stock let me know. I'd love to get another. My vote obviously is the Polish stock. I know nothing about the Zhukov.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:42 pm

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/STKAKA03.aspx
Here ya go moab :mrgreen:
Currently still trying to put funds away for my rifle purchase, wife just had an operation and Christmas is coming, so rifle might have to wait until tax refund possibly. Current plan is:
Get rifle, test fire at range to make sure all is good
Get probably eight magazines and at least 500 rounds of ammunition
Then after some more practice it will probably be the side mount for a red dot, then handguard to mount light, then folding stock

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:46 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:http://www.centerfiresystems.com/STKAKA03.aspx
Currently still trying to put funds away for my rifle purchase, wife just had an operation and Christmas is coming, so rifle might have to wait until tax refund possibly. Current plan is:
Then after some more practice it will probably be the side mount for a red dot, then handguard to mount light, then folding stock
Not that it matters a lot, but I'd consider r4-6 mags. Ammo weighs a lot, steel mags weigh a lot, and unless I was a contractor in Afghanistan and also spending all day riding in a truck, I'd rather not have that much weight on me. But to each their own.

Chi-com rig is a good one. 4-cell would be my vote right now. Pockets can be used to carry 4 mags, and word is those pockets can be stretched to hold 2 mags each, for 8 total.

Bought some steel mags recently. Stay away from anything Korean in the 20, 30, or 40 round flavors. Seriously. (Bought some Korean 20 rounders, which are garbage. Bought some Hungarian 30 rounders from whatacountry.com and I"m very happy with quality and price).

http://whatacountry.com

http://www.sgammo.com

http://www.cdnnsports.com

http://www.apexgunparts.com

http://circle10ak.com

https://www.wideners.com

These are some of my favorite places to shop for AK stuff. I know moab also has his link to Legion Arms ( http://www.legionarms.com ), and that place is worth looking at too.

The Polish stock will be less comfortable when shooting, and a WHOLE lot less comfortable in winter (anything metal is less comfortable). You will need to wrap it in cloth or paracord if your area gets really cold. There are special risers you can buy for the Polish/East German/wire type stocks.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:09 pm

woodsghost, was already eyeing the chicom 4 cell rig, gonna retrofit it with a Strikehard H harness I have for a "micro rig" that I don't like and maybe swap out the toggles for snaps as I don't really like velcro if I have a choice.
Doesn't get cold down here in FL, but it sure can get hot, I for one don't enjoy putting my face on hot metal :awesome:

moab

Post by moab » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:15 pm

That's an entirely different Polish sidefolder. Go back to my link above. You'll see what I'm talking about. But that one from CS would work just fine. Not the prettiest IMHO. But it will work very well.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:21 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Not that it matters a lot, but I'd consider r4-6 mags. Ammo weighs a lot, steel mags weigh a lot, and unless I was a contractor in Afghanistan and also spending all day riding in a truck, I'd rather not have that much weight on me. But to each their own.

Chi-com rig is a good one. 4-cell would be my vote right now. Pockets can be used to carry 4 mags, and word is those pockets can be stretched to hold 2 mags each, for 8 total.

Bought some steel mags recently. Stay away from anything Korean in the 20, 30, or 40 round flavors. Seriously. (Bought some Korean 20 rounders, which are garbage. Bought some Hungarian 30 rounders from whatacountry.com and I"m very happy with quality and price).

http://whatacountry.com

http://www.sgammo.com

http://www.cdnnsports.com

http://www.apexgunparts.com

http://circle10ak.com

https://www.wideners.com

These are some of my favorite places to shop for AK stuff. I know moab also has his link to Legion Arms ( http://www.legionarms.com ), and that place is worth looking at too.

The Polish stock will be less comfortable when shooting, and a WHOLE lot less comfortable in winter (anything metal is less comfortable). You will need to wrap it in cloth or paracord if your area gets really cold. There are special risers you can buy for the Polish/East German/wire type stocks.
Thank's for the link. But I mostly sell small parts, kits and build jigs. Not much of what he's looking for. Unless he wants a backup set of NOS firing pin, extractor etc. etc.

Ya. Weight is a big concern. 8 mags would be great for the range. And you might consider a LULA loader. Will makes things a lot easier at the range. Check http://www.gun-deals.com for ammo. That's where you'll find the best price. It also notes if it's noncorrosive or not too. And put in your zip so it can calculate shipping.

So which AK are you getting? Online or local?

EDIT - If Centerfire is cheaper on the rifle they do offer a free inspection on the rifle. They check them out before they accept them from CAI. And they know what they are looking for.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:20 pm

Ah, I know which stock you are meaning now moab.
Unless I see an awesome deal elsewhere, it's gonna be about the same to get it from my local shop, it'll probably be the WASR from the shop. They've treated me good in the past, and do good work.

Maggot62
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land

Post by Maggot62 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Pics of my girls!

PolyTech Legend National Match
Yes an AK that shoots 1 MOA!

PolyTech Legend Underfolder

They're not safe queens! I recognized the utility of the AK platform when I was in the infantry and bought these pre-ban as soon as they were available! They're my goto home defense and deer rifles!
Last edited by Maggot62 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable".
George S. Patton

“Opportunities multiply as they are seized.”
Sun Tzu The Art of War

"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one”.
Jesus Luke 22:36

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:26 pm

What's the picatinny cover on rifle #1?

Maggot62
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land

Post by Maggot62 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:52 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:What's the picatinny cover on rifle #1?
It's the Texas Weapons Systems dog leg.
"Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable".
George S. Patton

“Opportunities multiply as they are seized.”
Sun Tzu The Art of War

"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one”.
Jesus Luke 22:36

Z-Sergio
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Z-Sergio » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:41 pm

I made a video about the Russian 75-rd drum magazine 7,62x39 RPK but only in Russian

Last edited by Z-Sergio on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

pyzik
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), 28 Days and Weeks Later, Quarantine

Post by pyzik » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Got my Saiga back!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Preparing to prep.

Z-Sergio

Post by Z-Sergio » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:03 am

Work units and mechanisms of AK

Z-Sergio

Post by Z-Sergio » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:38 am

My Vepr-KM(AKM)

moab

Post by moab » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:10 pm

Anybody use the Sierra tactical bumpfire stock. Some amazing videos on this for $95. That's an AR in the vid. But I've seen ones for AK's that work just as well.

http://stacticaloutdoor.com/ak-47-74-bu ... -in-black/

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:18 am

The magpul zucchini stuff is okay, like the hand guard but could live without the stock.

And the Draco is... magnificent. I wouldn't mind owning 5 or 10 of them

I'm still abusing my yugo, it's still buttersmooth and accurate lol

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”