The All Purpose AK Thread

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Re: The All Purpose AK Thread

Post by Kutter_0311 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:30 am

Polley wrote:
Anianna wrote:Did you guys see this crazy AK from a shovel build?
Definitely put my BFPU to shame.
Dude, that was some crazy Khyber Pass guncrafting right there :shock:
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:57 am

Anianna wrote:Did you guys see this crazy AK from a shovel build?
That is simply outstanding.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:52 am

hey does anyone know where to get the fore grip like thisImage
also anyone know if this would work on an ak Image its for a galili and idk if the parts or fore grips are interchangeable
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:14 am

anyone?

Polley

Post by Polley » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 am

Last edited by Polley on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:13 am

Polley wrote:Only thing I can find are the Bulgarian ones for Krinkovs: probably won't fit a standard AK.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_123/709891_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.k-var.com/shop/KR-016B.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
better than i could find lol although with the price tag of 400+ i kinda wish you didnt find it because there is no way i could justify buying that .
but good job searching i looked for like an hour and couldn't find anything lol

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:28 pm

I thought it looked like a Mako product, it smecks of it. Not sure if it can be modified to a regular AK. You could try asking them. http://www.themakogroup.com/product_p/kapi-2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:55 am

ALRIGHT GUYS- CRAZY IDEA TIME:

Feed it with BDM WASR-22 mags? Probably some reason why this wouldn't work, but still. If people can run .22LR bolts in an AR with a 5.56 barrel as a drop in deal...
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:57 am

AKFTW wrote:ALRIGHT GUYS- CRAZY IDEA TIME:

Feed it with BDM WASR-22 mags? Probably some reason why this wouldn't work, but still. If people can run .22LR bolts in an AR with a 5.56 barrel as a drop in deal...
Rememebr that the bolt drop in for the AR doesn't cycle the BCG at all. it's a straight blowback bolt in in the BCG. There wouldn't be enough gas to cycle the AK dude.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
AKFTW wrote:ALRIGHT GUYS- CRAZY IDEA TIME:

Rememebr that the bolt drop in for the AR doesn't cycle the BCG at all. it's a straight blowback bolt in in the BCG. There wouldn't be enough gas to cycle the AK dude.
But WASR-22s are blowback too. And the spring accounts for that.

docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

CivEngineer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead (show), Zombieland

Post by CivEngineer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:38 pm

So I am new to the forums and no offense, but I am NOT going to sit and read all 134 pages of posts. (Maybe another day)
Instead I will be like every other newb and jump strait to my opinion. 8-)

If you're looking into getting (or already have) an AK you're aren't getting it for the accuracy (granted I can group 3rnds in a pepsi can at 100yds which is good enough for me).
No you're getting (or should be) an AK for a few other reasons.

It's cheap: You can find a used RomAK or YugAK for around $350-400. (At least I can around here)
It's reliable: That tank commander really knew what he was doing when he designed this thing to always go bang.
It's simple: A handful of parts and field strips faster than any call girl.
It's got stopping power: Nothing like a 30cal (rough equivalence of 7.62) to drop your target on the first hit.
It's damn good looking: Favored of liberation armies everywhere and even has it's own flag appearance. (http://unimaps.com/flags-africa/mozambique-flag.gif)

So from my skimming this topic I have noticed a common theme:
People want to accessorize.
I completely understand adding useful extras, but when did this incredible firearm turn into a Barbie play toy with matching shoes and purse action? Really, all you are accomplishing is making the gun no longer cheap and rediculously heavy. I am sure there will be flack from those Call of Duty fans out there that want all the do-dads and extras, but I ask you, have you tried hiking 5 miles with all that gear? Did you leave your food and matches back home to compensate? In the case of many post-apoco times, mobility will be key. Sure the flashlight and laser look cool, but is it worth using valuable batteries and burning valuable calories? Have you tried carrying your pair of 100rnd mags around with you regularly? Yeah, they are great for defensive situations, but you gotta have an exit strategy.

I am always reminded of the ever true phrase KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

So on to the point of this post, what is my preferred AK setup...
(drumroll)
I prefer stock AK with a side scope mount and a bipod.
I like the wood furniture. Nothing screams classic bad-ass like the classic wood stock and foregrip.
The rear grip is stock as well. Sure I could get a little more comfort from a Hogue, but well... I'm cheap.
The scope is handy. I like the side rail mounted type, it keeps my dust cover clear for field stripping and detatches quickly. I like a 3-9x40 scope, enough accuracy to hit what I'm aiming at.
The bi-pod is nice as I get older. When I get tired and a little shakey, it's nice to go prone and pop the legs out to gain a LOT of accuracy.
And lastly a nice long sling. The rifle hangs at my side at the right height to be accessable but out of the way.

If I have to go mobile and the 4-wheeler runs out of gas I can quickly ditch the scope (or pass it off to someone not carrying as much) and still do just fine with my good friend Mr. Ironsights. With so many unknowns in a post-apoco world, there's no telling what might come, but no matter the situation, mobility is key.

P.S. For those that want to accessories, the AR is the ultimate Barbie gun, although fashion comes at a price.
-Civil Engineers are responsible for the worlds largest erections.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:56 pm

CivEngineer wrote:So I am new to the forums and no offense, but I am NOT going to sit and read all 134 pages of posts. (Maybe another day)
Instead I will be like every other newb and jump strait to my opinion. 8-)
You do know what happens to most of those newbs right?

There is a lot in your post that can and probably will be picked apart. My question is; would you learn from that experience or would it be a waste of time?

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Redeyes wrote:waste of time?
Yeah, it sure was.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

CivEngineer

Post by CivEngineer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Redeyes wrote:There is a lot in your post that can and probably will be picked apart. My question is; would you learn from that experience or would it be a waste of time?
Pick away, nothing like a 2x4 to clear the head. :)

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:40 pm

CivEngineer, no need to read the whole thread, but give this a read if you would:

http://www.milcopptactical.com/akfighting.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My only major problems with what you wrote, at a glance, are "stopping power" and the remark about bipods. Stopping power as the term is generally used and as you used it, does not exist. The 7.62x39 is not in any inherently superior to smaller calibers, and in fact causes a less dramatic wound channel in many cases. As far as terminal ballistics go, the 7.62x39 is actually far surpassed by most other major military rifle calibers for one simple reason, bullet design. Modern projectiles are massively superior to older designs, and the selection of modern projectiles in .310 or .311 is very limited. A 5.56 loaded with, say, Federal XM556FBIT3, Mk 318, or Hornady TAP (which are outstanding loads along with many other great options) is measurably and significantly superior to loads commonly available for 7.62x39. There are a few modern loads for the 7.62x39 like the Hornady SST, if they become easily more available it would alleviate this problem.

I will not start a terminal ballistics debate with you, but feel free to PM me if you would like sources or additional information.

As for the bipod, I can only quote DaveM of these forums; "Bipod on a carbine? Tits on a boar." Unless you are attempting to make your AK into an SPR/DMR precision weapon (a use to which it is poorly suited) then a bipod is of little use. This is based on modern TTPs and methods of employing the carbine.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 pm

Oh, finally, please elaborate on the "price" of choosing an AR. Before you do so, I should let you know that you will be talking to people who have actually used the modern AR15/M4 platform in combat, and we get extremely tired of hearing the same false, tired criticisms based on poor training and ignorance.

EDIT: If you literally meant the monetary price of an AR15 with quality accessories, then my apologies, that is a fair point, carry on. Recent combat experience within the US and Coalition forces, however, has demonstrated that many of these accessories are massive force multipliers and more than worth the cost. For most nonmilitary use, only a few accessories are necessary or helpful, namely a quality sling, a white light, and a quality optic.

That brings up a final point. If the purpose if your AK is self defense, then a 3-9x40 is not a great choice. An Aimpoint or similar red dot or, if you need magnification, an ACOG or quality 1-4 power scope would be a better all around choice. As an AK is a weapon optimized for use at ranges below 300 yards, most of the magnification range of a 3-9 us unnecessary and target acquisition at close ranges us seriously impaired.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by TDW586 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Just like to mention that a light on a defensive carbine is an absolute necessity. Lasers are clown shoes but the ability to identify your target is paramount. Bipods are for zeroing rifles on square ranges, then they get removed and placed back in the range bag.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

CivEngineer

Post by CivEngineer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:06 pm

TDW586 wrote:My only major problems with what you wrote, at a glance, are "stopping power" and the remark about bipods. Stopping power as the term is generally used and as you used it, does not exist. The 7.62x39 is not in any inherently superior to smaller calibers, and in fact causes a less dramatic wound channel in many cases. As far as terminal ballistics go, the 7.62x39 is actually far surpassed by most other major military rifle calibers for one simple reason, bullet design. Modern projectiles are massively superior to older designs, and the selection of modern projectiles in .310 or .311 is very limited. A 5.56 loaded with, say, Federal XM556FBIT3, Mk 318, or Hornady TAP (which are outstanding loads along with many other great options) is measurably and significantly superior to loads commonly available for 7.62x39. There are a few modern loads for the 7.62x39 like the Hornady SST, if they become easily more available it would alleviate this problem.
Fair enough, I am no munitions expert (or anything close) but as I understand physics, the slower moving more massive 7.62 round has more time to impart energy into the target whereas other faster moving round pass through the target quickly imparting very little energy. (Assuming the same style of ammunition)
I don't plan on debating terminal ballistics as I would be bringing a marshmallow to a gun fight, that is just my understanding from a physics standpoint.
TDW586 wrote:As for the bipod, I can only quote DaveM of these forums; "Bipod on a carbine? Tits on a boar." Unless you are attempting to make your AK into an SPR/DMR precision weapon (a use to which it is poorly suited) then a bipod is of little use. This is based on modern TTPs and methods of employing the carbine.
My reasoning for the bipod is that God has not blessed me with the steadiest of hands and the bipod helps that. (As mentioned in the original post) Seeing as it adds little weight I like having it.
Regular Guy wrote:Just like to mention that a light on a defensive carbine is an absolute necessity.
I'd rather carry a couple of $0.50 LED flashlights found at any auto/hardware/mega store. They are push button on/off and aren't mounted. Good for use with carbine as well as handgun and my favorite: CHEAP.

Keep the comments coming, any other flaws? :)

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:10 pm

i see one flaw you are only talking about one rifle?
why not have a few set up for different thing?
you know the one with the flashlight and iron sights for night, the stripped down one for carrying, the heavy Bertha set up for long range etc..

CivEngineer

Post by CivEngineer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:27 pm

We'reWolf wrote:i see one flaw you are only talking about one rifle?
why not have a few set up for different thing?
you know the one with the flashlight and iron sights for night, the stripped down one for carrying, the heavy Bertha set up for long range etc..
That goes back to being CHEAP. Sure if I had loads of money or won the lottery (although the lottery odds are not in my favor as I don't play) I would consider buying multiple guns for multiple purposes. But then I would end up blowing the money on something else entirely.
Since I prefer to own less and have a more universal approach, I prefer the stock setup with a scope and bipod. I do have other guns (12ga and a 40S&W) but this thread was about AKs. I can always ditch the extra weight of the scope if I will be carrying long distances and if I was going for long range I wouldn't be using an AK. I just want to be able to pick them off before they can reach my brains.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:28 pm

CivEngineer wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:Just like to mention that a light on a defensive carbine is an absolute necessity.
I'd rather carry a couple of $0.50 LED flashlights found at any auto/hardware/mega store. They are push button on/off and aren't mounted. Good for use with carbine as well as handgun and my favorite: CHEAP.

Keep the comments coming, any other flaws? :)
A $0.50 light is absolutely not something you should ever be putting on any thing that will defend your life or potential be used to end some one elses. Certain gear must be of high quality and there is no avoiding paying good money for it. Otherwise, you're a liability waiting to happen.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:37 pm

How do you use a $0.50 flashlight from Lowes which is handheld, while trying to use a carbine which really should have both hands on it?

Just because you can do some trig and figure out some CivEngineer junk doesn't mean anything at all applies to terminal ballistics. Just assume you know nothing and don't try to relate anything you already know about things to bullets - they may as well be non-Neutonian with how little a civ engineer background will translate. This is coming from a civ/structural designer.

CivEngineer

Post by CivEngineer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:41 pm

Regular Guy wrote:A $0.50 light is absolutely not something you should ever be putting on any thing that will defend your life or potential be used to end some one elses.
When did this become a discussion of ending someone's life? I pray to God that is never an issue. And for the record, I've never had an issue with any of the lights I have and since they are cheap I keep them all over the house. (You never know where you will be when the power fails)

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:42 pm

CivEngineer wrote:Keep the comments coming, any other flaws? :)
TDW586 wrote:CivEngineer, no need to read the whole thread, but give this a read if you would:

http://www.milcopptactical.com/akfighting.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”