9mm AR-15 Carbine - Prefer using Glock Mags - need input

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

9mm AR-15 Carbine - Prefer using Glock Mags - need input

Post by DropZedFred » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:09 pm

[Tried searching, but the terms "9mm" and "AR15" activate a "flood of fail"]

Anyone running one of the Olympic Arms Models, or a Lone Wolf Lower with a ??? upper?
Need input.
The spousal unit needs something evil, black and using our existing mags (AR, Glock 17, 22 or Styer M9) - she's not a huge fan of 5.56/.223 and just needs to cover the 0-100yd range.
Thanks!
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

Paladin1

Re: 9mm AR-15 Carbine - Prefer using Glock Mags - need input

Post by Paladin1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:39 pm

This may be too far out of the box thinking, but I've been looking at getting a MechTech upper to put on my Glock. A MRD on top, a 33rd mag loaded with +P Corbon DPX out a 16" barrel would be nice 100yds and in.
WWSD?

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Paladin1 wrote:This may be too far out of the box thinking, but I've been looking at getting a MechTech upper to put on my Glock. A MRD on top, a 33rd mag loaded with +P Corbon DPX out a 16" barrel would be nice 100yds and in.
I really wish someone would do this with their .357sig option and post some chronos. I sent them a mail asking about it and they never responded. I think that setup has tremendous potential, no reason it should not approach a .357 mag carbine which can be like 1800 fps out of a 16" barrel...and it can use the high cap .40 mags.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:00 pm

...probaly help to know she isn't a Glock fan either. :(
That would make the MechTech a no-brainer.
She's comfortable with the AR platform, just not a fan of the report. I figure the 9mm (or .40SW) would be quieter from the longer barrel.
Ideally it would be chopped to 10" with a permenent brake/hider/false can, making is a hair over 16" total.
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Yeah you'd still have the blocky glock grip.

I assume you've also considered the RRA LAR-9 and 40? Its actually a pistol, is licensed as pistol, can be concealed, no need to chop etc. I wish I'd got one of these rather than a LAR-15 pistol tbh.

squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

R_C_S

Post by R_C_S » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Hasn't MSAR come out with a bullpup 9mm that takes Glock mags? Last I checked it was about $995...

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:00 pm

R_C_S wrote:Hasn't MSAR come out with a bullpup 9mm that takes Glock mags? Last I checked it was about $995...
I'd like to see that, but I can't find much about it. Are they out?
WWSD?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:09 pm

Negative on the MSAR, not out. Try model1sales.com. Their 9mm ar15s use C-Product mags, they work.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Paladin1 wrote:
R_C_S wrote:Hasn't MSAR come out with a bullpup 9mm that takes Glock mags? Last I checked it was about $995...
Actually at a local gunshop this morning they told me MSAR ceased operations a few months ago. It looks like perhaps that gun is never going to come out....

To bad, would be a fun little carbine.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:08 pm

If the spousal unit isn't a Glock fan, why not find a pistol s/he IS a fan of, and then get one of those and the Kel-Tec carbine that shares mags with it? They're affordable, nifty-foldy, and most importantly, share mags with whichever pistol you like. (There's a few options, I know Glock and Sig for sure, not sure what else.)

RogueJSK

Post by RogueJSK » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Jeriah wrote: They're affordable, nifty-foldy, and most importantly, share mags with whichever pistol you like. (There's a few options, I know Glock and Sig for sure, not sure what else.)
In theory, Glock, Beretta, Sig, and S&W 3rd Gen are all options. In 9mm, they offer versions for Glock 17, Glock 19, Beretta 92, S&W 59xx, and Sig P226. In .40, there's Glock 22, Beretta 96, Sig P226, and S&W 40xx.

But in practice, all of the non-Glock versions are in pretty short supply.
Last edited by RogueJSK on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:38 pm

RogueJSK wrote:
Jeriah wrote: They're affordable, nifty-foldy, and most importantly, share mags with whichever pistol you like. (There's a few options, I know Glock and Sig for sure, not sure what else.)
In theory, Glock, Beretta, Sig, and S&W 3rd Gen are all options. In 9mm, they offer versions for Glock 17, Glock 19, Beretta 92, S&W 59xx, and Sig P226. In .40, there's Glock 22, Beretta 96, Sig P226, and S&W 40xx.

But in practice, all of them besides the Glock 17 or 19 versions are in pretty short supply.
Yeah, I'd love one to share mags with my P226, but haven't ever run into one. (Haven't really been looking, though.)

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:49 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Paladin1 wrote:
Actually at a local gunshop this morning they told me MSAR ceased operations a few months ago. It looks like perhaps that gun is never going to come out....

No they haven't ceased production their factory is moving to a new location. What I've read it should be back up soon. The MCS, however, seems to be on the backburner for the moment.
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Stab74 wrote:
PistolPete wrote:
Paladin1 wrote:

No they haven't ceased production their factory is moving to a new location. What I've read it should be back up soon. The MCS, however, seems to be on the backburner for the moment.

OK, then for my purposes I'm back to a Mech-tech unit.
WWSD?

R_C_S

Post by R_C_S » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Paladin1 wrote:
Forever ago, I found one website that had them for sale.

And it's eluding me at this moment.

R_C_S

Post by R_C_S » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:00 pm

R_C_S wrote:
Paladin1 wrote:

That's a bingo.

http://www.msarstg556.com/item/77200_Mi ... Rd_Ma.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WARNING: I cannot vouch for the validity of this website.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:08 pm

+1 on the Sub-2000, my girlfriend loves mine, it is very handy, light, controllable, and portable, with no recoil to speak of in mine or her experience. And that's with the .40 version! I think the Sub-2000 is the only PCC that actually makes sense. Plus, 33rd mags are available easily, so you have a high-capacity option.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:11 pm

AKFTW wrote:+1 on the Sub-2000, my girlfriend loves mine, it is very handy, light, controllable, and portable, with no recoil to speak of in mine or her experience. And that's with the .40 version! I think the Sub-2000 is the only PCC that actually makes sense. Plus, 33rd mags are available easily, so you have a high-capacity option.
I'm with you. I bought some 33-round mags (might be 30-round, actually) for my Sig, with no intention of ever really using them in the pistol, on the off chance I end up with one of these carbines. I really want one.

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 am

R_C_S wrote:
R_C_S wrote:
Paladin1 wrote:

That's a bingo.

http://www.msarstg556.com/item/77200_Mi ... Rd_Ma.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WARNING: I cannot vouch for the validity of this website.
That's just a placeholder for if it ever becomes available. MSAR has only made two MCS prototypes. You can read all about em at the "bullpup" subforum over at arfcom. The owner, MSAR Dave, is a frequent poster there.

Here is a link to a long, two year discussion about it. Some pics on page 1.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 968&page=1
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:57 am

+1 to AKFTW's +1 for the Sub2000. Mine runs everything I put thru it, had a grand total of 1 (one) FTE (in the 1st mag) and has run 800+ rounds since then. Minute-of-bad-guy accurate, lightweight, and it FOLDS!

I bought it for the compatability with my G19, as well as the fact that it folds down to nothing. I am starting to really like it, once I got used to the trigger, and the less-than-perfect front sight. Inside of 100 yards, one of these with +P ammo would be perfect.

R_C_S

Post by R_C_S » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:47 am

It's a good looking pup, Stab74. No denying. And thanks for the link.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:00 am

I like the idea of the Sub-2000, and I have almost bought one more than once. But after handling and firing one it just didn't feel good to me. I know that's subjective, but it felt fragile and the reciprocating bolt in the butt stock annoyed me for some reason.

Just can't get comfortable with it.
WWSD?

R_C_S

Post by R_C_S » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:13 am

Paladin1 wrote:I like the idea of the Sub-2000, and I have almost bought one more than once. But after handling and firing one it just didn't feel good to me. I know that's subjective, but it felt fragile and the reciprocating bolt in the butt stock annoyed me for some reason.

Just can't get comfortable with it.
+1. I'm sure it's a great weapon, just not great for me.

mikieg
BANNED

Post by mikieg » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:47 am

A couple months ago there wa a thread called glock 9mm ar carbine review. It had pics and a torture test done on a new olympic carbine. Do a search and check it out.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”