All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 22, 2014 4:40 pm

Dogan wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:Just sent this email to some friends....
I wrote: We're going to build you an AR for under $600 (not including shipping and FFL fee)
First if you have limited funds buy this NOW while it's on sale:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... e-kit.html
Cost: $430. (save $170)

Second you're going to need a lower receiver. Just so happens they sell a blemished lower too:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... lower.html
Cost: $50 (saved $70)

Finally you'll need a rear sight
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... ers-1.html
Cost: $55.

$430 for the kit + $50 lower receiver + $55 rear optic = $535 + plus FFL fee and shipping costs. Savings: $240. You should be under $600 even with the FFL and shipping fees.

Enjoy!
One friend already ordered said shipping was around $17 and his FFL transfer is costing $30.
How do CMV's rate in the world of AR uppers? If they produce better than 4 MOA I'm sold.
It takes soem very subpar workmanship to not make 4MOA with an AR. If DPMS and Bushmaster can hit 3-4MOA consistently with their cheapest, shittiest rifles, there's no reason anyone more competent than a drunk orangutan can't beat 4MOA with quality parts.

CMV just means it'll wear faster, particularly with Wolf/Tula ammo.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9208
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by RickOShea » Thu May 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Dogan wrote: How do CMV's rate in the world of AR uppers? If they produce better than 4 MOA I'm sold.
Here's what BCM says about their CMV barrels:

"BCM barrel steel is Mil-Spec per MIL-B-11595E. The 4150 grade (CMV) of steel is a Mil-Spec steel used in the USGI M16 family of rifles; it is stronger and will last longer than the typical barrels offered in the commercial market. The Mil-Spec grade 4150 gets it's additional strength and rigidity from an increase in carbon and/or vanadium in the alloy. This will offer increased barrel life and performance through use in all types of extreme environments and temperatures."


I'd try to call/email PSA and ask if that upper has an FN 4150 CMV barrel, or something else.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 22, 2014 5:38 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Dogan wrote: How do CMV's rate in the world of AR uppers? If they produce better than 4 MOA I'm sold.
Here's what BCM says about their CMV barrels:

"BCM barrel steel is Mil-Spec per MIL-B-11595E. The 4150 grade (CMV) of steel is a Mil-Spec steel used in the USGI M16 family of rifles; it is stronger and will last longer than the typical barrels offered in the commercial market. The Mil-Spec grade 4150 gets it's additional strength and rigidity from an increase in carbon and/or vanadium in the alloy. This will offer increased barrel life and performance through use in all types of extreme environments and temperatures."


I'd try to call/email PSA and ask if that upper has an FN 4150 CMV barrel, or something else.
I thought the vanadium concentration in 4150 wasn't high enough to make a significant difference in wear resistance. Do I have my steels backwards again?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
AS556
* * * * *
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by AS556 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:47 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Gel test it. It's not TAP (different projectile) and it's 200FPS slower out the gate than the Supermatch with the same bullet. Supermatch isn't too hot in gel from the few tests I've seen.
I'll look into making some gel at home, not much on the net about the Steel Match. Will stick with Prvi 75gr OTM and M193 for now.


Anybody know the cause of a failure to go fully into battery? The BCG stops about 3/4" from the forward position and sometimes locks up the CH briefly. Usually only with steel case. Went to town with a GI chamber brush and solvent and replaced buffer spring it helped but not eliminated it. Was thinking maybe a Wolff XP or Sprinco spring. It does occasionally happen with brass as well. Testing I've seen shows steel case wearing out bores in 6k so I'm trying to swear it off but it's so god damn cheap.

The malf occurs with all types of mags and lubricants. Ammo is 62 and 55gr Silver bear.

It's the only real hiccup my AR has I'd like to get it squared away.

User avatar
91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2070
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!
Location: Hill Country, Texas

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu May 22, 2014 10:39 pm

AS556 wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Gel test it. It's not TAP (different projectile) and it's 200FPS slower out the gate than the Supermatch with the same bullet. Supermatch isn't too hot in gel from the few tests I've seen.
I'll look into making some gel at home, not much on the net about the Steel Match. Will stick with Prvi 75gr OTM and M193 for now.


Anybody know the cause of a failure to go fully into battery? The BCG stops about 3/4" from the forward position and sometimes locks up the CH briefly. Usually only with steel case. Went to town with a GI chamber brush and solvent and replaced buffer spring it helped but not eliminated it. Was thinking maybe a Wolff XP or Sprinco spring. It does occasionally happen with brass as well. Testing I've seen shows steel case wearing out bores in 6k so I'm trying to swear it off but it's so god damn cheap.

The malf occurs with all types of mags and lubricants. Ammo is 62 and 55gr Silver bear.

It's the only real hiccup my AR has I'd like to get it squared away.
If it's for sure not the ammo hanging up coming out of the magazine or into the chamber (thereby blocking the bolt's forward progress), it almost sounds like the bolt cam isn't moving out of the way...

Does the bolt slide freely in/out of the carrier? I assume the bolt carrier group was also disassembled and thoroughly cleaned as well.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

User avatar
TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3210
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: CO

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by TheLastOne » Thu May 22, 2014 11:50 pm

Use the lube not the force luke




I dunno
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013
Image

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Dave_M » Fri May 23, 2014 12:22 am

AS556 wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Gel test it. It's not TAP (different projectile) and it's 200FPS slower out the gate than the Supermatch with the same bullet. Supermatch isn't too hot in gel from the few tests I've seen.
I'll look into making some gel at home, not much on the net about the Steel Match. Will stick with Prvi 75gr OTM and M193 for now.


Anybody know the cause of a failure to go fully into battery? The BCG stops about 3/4" from the forward position and sometimes locks up the CH briefly. Usually only with steel case. Went to town with a GI chamber brush and solvent and replaced buffer spring it helped but not eliminated it. Was thinking maybe a Wolff XP or Sprinco spring. It does occasionally happen with brass as well. Testing I've seen shows steel case wearing out bores in 6k so I'm trying to swear it off but it's so god damn cheap.

The malf occurs with all types of mags and lubricants. Ammo is 62 and 55gr Silver bear.

It's the only real hiccup my AR has I'd like to get it squared away.
Only with the first round or intermittently mid-mag?
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

User avatar
NamelessStain
* * * * *
Posts: 2659
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 am
Location: Coastal SC

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by NamelessStain » Fri May 23, 2014 7:05 am

Dogan wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:Just sent this email to some friends....
I wrote: We're going to build you an AR for under $600 (not including shipping and FFL fee)
First if you have limited funds buy this NOW while it's on sale:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... e-kit.html
Cost: $430. (save $170)

Second you're going to need a lower receiver. Just so happens they sell a blemished lower too:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... lower.html
Cost: $50 (saved $70)

Finally you'll need a rear sight
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... ers-1.html
Cost: $55.

$430 for the kit + $50 lower receiver + $55 rear optic = $535 + plus FFL fee and shipping costs. Savings: $240. You should be under $600 even with the FFL and shipping fees.

Enjoy!
One friend already ordered said shipping was around $17 and his FFL transfer is costing $30.
How do CMV's rate in the world of AR uppers? If they produce better than 4 MOA I'm sold.
First link already out of stock and the lower is $60 not $50... so $545 + FFL + shipping. Math hard.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

User avatar
Mr. E. Monkey
* * * * *
Posts: 9106
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Utah

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Fri May 23, 2014 10:16 am

AS556 wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Gel test it. It's not TAP (different projectile) and it's 200FPS slower out the gate than the Supermatch with the same bullet. Supermatch isn't too hot in gel from the few tests I've seen.
I'll look into making some gel at home, not much on the net about the Steel Match. Will stick with Prvi 75gr OTM and M193 for now.


Anybody know the cause of a failure to go fully into battery? The BCG stops about 3/4" from the forward position and sometimes locks up the CH briefly. Usually only with steel case. Went to town with a GI chamber brush and solvent and replaced buffer spring it helped but not eliminated it. Was thinking maybe a Wolff XP or Sprinco spring. It does occasionally happen with brass as well. Testing I've seen shows steel case wearing out bores in 6k so I'm trying to swear it off but it's so god damn cheap.

The malf occurs with all types of mags and lubricants. Ammo is 62 and 55gr Silver bear.

It's the only real hiccup my AR has I'd like to get it squared away.
Any chance you could give us a video demonstration?
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image
Image

User avatar
AS556
* * * * *
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by AS556 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Might be able to get it on vid. It happens sometimes mid magazine but can also happen when using the bolt release on a fresh mag or when using the charging handle. The BCG is clean and typically lubed with Slip or CLP. The bolt does travel freely within the carrier. When this happens the round is 95% chambered, it's not the nose of the bullet hanging up on the feed lips.

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Dave_M » Fri May 23, 2014 6:10 pm

AS556 wrote:Might be able to get it on vid. It happens sometimes mid magazine but can also happen when using the bolt release on a fresh mag or when using the charging handle. The BCG is clean and typically lubed with Slip or CLP. The bolt does travel freely within the carrier. When this happens the round is 95% chambered, it's not the nose of the bullet hanging up on the feed lips.
What extractor setup are you using?
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

User avatar
AS556
* * * * *
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by AS556 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Not sure exactly. It's a PSA bolt that is allegedly MPI and 158c steel, but unmarked. The extractor has a black O ring but I'm not sure how else to ID it.

Might be worth a BCM extractor upgrade.

User avatar
91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2070
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!
Location: Hill Country, Texas

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri May 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Dave_M wrote:
AS556 wrote:Might be able to get it on vid. It happens sometimes mid magazine but can also happen when using the bolt release on a fresh mag or when using the charging handle. The BCG is clean and typically lubed with Slip or CLP. The bolt does travel freely within the carrier. When this happens the round is 95% chambered, it's not the nose of the bullet hanging up on the feed lips.
What extractor setup are you using?

My thoughts exactly... or maybe the bolt is short-stroking.

Where does your brass typically land AS556? 3-6 o'clock, or is it bouncing off the brass deflector and going forward?

Hard to diagnose over the internets but it could even be an out of spec (too large) BCG carrier or maybe some other obstruction/manufacturing flaw (too small) in the upper receiver.

Video would help...

Have you taken it to a gunsmith yet?
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Dave_M » Fri May 23, 2014 10:57 pm

AS556 wrote:Not sure exactly. It's a PSA bolt that is allegedly MPI and 158c steel, but unmarked. The extractor has a black O ring but I'm not sure how else to ID it.

Might be worth a BCM extractor upgrade.
Barrel and gas system length?

Extractor will have either a blue or black insert inside the spring and have either a four or five coil extractor spring.
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

User avatar
Shadow Muse
*
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't watch Zombie movies.....

RED DAWN FTW!!!
Location: Corry, PA
Contact:

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Shadow Muse » Mon May 26, 2014 2:20 pm

Well I am building my first AR-15 and I thought I'd come in and discuss what I'm looking at with you guys, hear your comments and criticisms and maybe learn some stuff.

Here is what I have in mind. Getting a Del-Ton rifle kit (del-ton upper and parts), BCM bolt carrier group, Spikes lower receiver, JP EZ trigger, Magpul stock and magazines, and Mueller 2-7x 32 MultiShot Scope.

For me this is a bit of a budget build, I'm a young man and can't afford an extremely expensive rifle. I plan to build a more rigorous and tricked out gun down the line, but right now I'm just looking for a reliable and versatile jack of all trades rifle I can use for all the roles I need.(Plinking, Hunting, possible home defense where my handgun or shotgun aren't more effective.)
Image
Sweet loving death, I've been waiting for your breath, oh sweet death one last caress

User avatar
Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15976
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Dave_M » Mon May 26, 2014 2:20 pm

What's your budget?
Image
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

User avatar
Shadow Muse
*
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't watch Zombie movies.....

RED DAWN FTW!!!
Location: Corry, PA
Contact:

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Shadow Muse » Mon May 26, 2014 2:32 pm

About $1200 optics, mags, etc all included.
Image
Sweet loving death, I've been waiting for your breath, oh sweet death one last caress

User avatar
Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1456
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:31 am
Location: Delaware

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Rednex » Mon May 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Around here a S&W M&P rifle cost $750ish complete.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

KnifeStyle
* * *
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by KnifeStyle » Mon May 26, 2014 9:48 pm

My neighbor just gave me ten USGI mags for my first build, I am now one set of rear sights away from hitting the range. Risking the Magpul flip-ups, best price I've found on them is Amazon.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

User avatar
TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3210
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: CO

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by TheLastOne » Mon May 26, 2014 10:27 pm

Shadow Muse wrote:About $1200 optics, mags, etc all included.
Shit you can do well with that.
90$ blem lower , lpk for 60 (psa should have deals)
$650 upper from bcm whatever flavor mid or carbine, magpul handguards $30
Eotech 512 for about $350 if you look
10 d&h mags from psa $80
Get a backup iron sight as soon as you can.
That's a pretty good rifle for right about your budget.

Or buy a s&w as noted and pop the eotech on it
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013
Image

User avatar
Shadow Muse
*
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't watch Zombie movies.....

RED DAWN FTW!!!
Location: Corry, PA
Contact:

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Shadow Muse » Mon May 26, 2014 11:59 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Shadow Muse wrote:About $1200 optics, mags, etc all included.
Shit you can do well with that.
90$ blem lower , lpk for 60 (psa should have deals)
$650 upper from bcm whatever flavor mid or carbine, magpul handguards $30
Eotech 512 for about $350 if you look
10 d&h mags from psa $80
Get a backup iron sight as soon as you can.
That's a pretty good rifle for right about your budget.

Or buy a s&w as noted and pop the eotech on it
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback.
Image
Sweet loving death, I've been waiting for your breath, oh sweet death one last caress

User avatar
0122358
* * * * *
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland
Location: Purdy...Washington

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by 0122358 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Hey what do y'all think about the PTAC FA BCGs? are they worth the 80 bucks?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

User avatar
Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1456
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:31 am
Location: Delaware

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Rednex » Tue May 27, 2014 7:03 pm

0122358 wrote:Hey what do y'all think about the PTAC FA BCGs? are they worth the 80 bucks?

Most say anything from PSA with the PTAC on it is better passed up for a reg PSA or better item.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

User avatar
0122358
* * * * *
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland
Location: Purdy...Washington

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by 0122358 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:19 pm

Rednex wrote:
0122358 wrote:Hey what do y'all think about the PTAC FA BCGs? are they worth the 80 bucks?

Most say anything from PSA with the PTAC on it is better passed up for a reg PSA or better item.
So spend the extra 10 bucks? I'm perfectly fine with that...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Post Reply

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”