All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Langenator » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:19 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:36 pm
Langenator wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:08 am
I'm of two minds as to what my next AR build (or builds) should be.

On one hand, I want to take a Spike's snowflake lower and build the most 'triggering' AR possible, by incorporating as many AWB features as I can. Collapsible (extending) folding stock (if I could make the shoulder thing go up, I would, but it's going to have to go to the side. Flash hider (of the QD, suppressor attaching variety) and a suppressor. The hard part is figuring out a way to get the bayonet lug included. About the only way I've found to have a bayonet lug is to use the .mil style A-frame front sight gas block, which generally isn't compatible with a free float tube. I supposed I might find a machinist who can cut a tube to fit. (A bayonet might not be compatible with the QD suppressor mount, either - but it's the lug that's on the AWB, not the bayonet.)
Not cheap, but Dinzag sells a slip-on/set screw stabby-stab lug: http://www.dinzagarms.com/bayo/bayo.html

That has definite possibilities. I'd have to measure my bayonet to figure how much free barrel past the handguard is needed.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:49 am

https://imgur.com/a/gAUtgJ5

Just picked up an OEM Aero Precision AR15. I already have a magpul grip and b5 stock and im probably going to order a Troy mlok railfor it.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 pm

Looking for info/opinions from you fine folks.

I'm looking for any opinions/info on what would be the strongest handguard/barrel nut combo that is currently available, for an AR15. I've been looking at everything from monolithic uppers to forends that attach to standard barrel nuts. Here's the already established qualifications/considerations:
-strongest attachment method
-strongest actual handguard
-barrel is a 5.56 mid-length 16"
-micro block
-weight isn't really being considered, as the primary goal is ruggedness/"fail-proof"-ness
-lower receiver hasn't been selected yet, so if the upper is selective about mating up to certain lowers, it's not an issue, but please advise

Secondary considerations:
-not flexing, but I'm not really that concerned with it, as the other criteria should take care of this issue
-preferably no full-length quad rails, but not completely opposed to it
-preferably MLok, not keymod
-length is negotiable, but being a 16" middy that throws out pistol and carbine lengths

Thanks!
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed May 22, 2019 9:04 pm

I think the threaded receiver extension on the front will be the weak link for the hand guard/receiver interface. If strength is your priority, you need to be looking at forged receivers, preferably 7000 series vs. 6000 series aluminum.

Or go all out and get a titanium upper or complete receiver set: http://amalgamatedti.com/#arms

Re: the hand guard, pretty much any tube will be stronger than the joint, but I’m a big fan of Seekins Precision stuff...not the lightest, but you have to be really trying to break anything they put out.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:04 pm
I think the threaded receiver extension on the front will be the weak link for the hand guard/receiver interface. If strength is your priority, you need to be looking at forged receivers, preferably 7000 series vs. 6000 series aluminum.

Or go all out and get a titanium upper or complete receiver set: http://amalgamatedti.com/#arms

Re: the hand guard, pretty much any tube will be stronger than the joint, but I’m a big fan of Seekins Precision stuff...not the lightest, but you have to be really trying to break anything they put out.
Thanks!
I agree with the receiver extension being the weak point. The upper I'm leaning towards is the Vltor MUR w/o the F/A, specifically because it's beefed up compared to other uppers. And yes, definitely forged 7075. Not even looking at the 6061. Trying to avoid the billet 7075 while I'm at it.

Titanium would be nice, but that's got to be a stupid expensive set-up. They even said titanium barrel. Didn't know they were doing that now.

Yes, I've been looking at the Seekins uppers, and their integrated rail mount is certainly appealing, but two things. All of their uppers I've seen are billet, and they can't be had w/o a forward assist. I'm trying to eliminate unnecessary parts and failure points on the rifle, and I've got the gas key, gas block, and bolt issues figured out. Which basically means I'm now looking at the extremely unlikely failure points. And there is definitely a point of dramatically diminishing returns on what I'm trying to realistically accomplish, like the full titanium rifle.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 23, 2019 7:17 am

A titanium receiver will set you back a grand+ but it will outlive your grandkids. Normally when I see a broken (for real broken) lower it is the buffer tube that snapped because Joe was doing something with it that he was not supposed to.

One novel solution is to go with something like a Colt LE901-16S. You get the beefier and more rugged AR-10 platform (and heavier of course) with the 5.56 upper. The bonus is that you get more caliber options in theory. Not sure if it is still being made though.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:04 pm

200% Stonger 45% Lighter.

Do they sell direct [thru FFL for Lower]. The link doesn't have a shopping cart. Unless, do you have to login? It won't let me create an account. No list of dealers. :(
http://amalgamatedti.com/assets/tactical-components.pdf

I sent them a contact email which replied someone would contact me within 3 business days.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu May 23, 2019 10:10 am

Titanium will be significantly heavier than aluminum...

Re: Forged vs. billet, I think a properly machined billet would be the strongest. In my humble opinion Billet > Forged > Cast > polymer/hybrid receivers. YMMV...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu May 23, 2019 10:31 am

Aero makes their enhanced M4E1 upper, but it comes with an FA. I guess you could always just snatch it out and install an FA plug.

"Our state of the art M4E1 platform starts here, with the M4E1 Upper Receiver. The M4E1 upper receiver is a one-piece design combining the handguard mounting platform with the upper itself. Through superior engineering, we have condensed the parts needed to mount a free-floated handguard to a mere 8 screws. Since the handguard mounting surface and upper are of the same forging, not only is it a stronger system, but we are able to make additional lightening cuts to save weight and allow for more efficient cooling."

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Thu May 23, 2019 12:41 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:17 am
A titanium receiver will set you back a grand+ but it will outlive your grandkids. Normally when I see a broken (for real broken) lower it is the buffer tube that snapped because Joe was doing something with it that he was not supposed to.

One novel solution is to go with something like a Colt LE901-16S. You get the beefier and more rugged AR-10 platform (and heavier of course) with the 5.56 upper. The bonus is that you get more caliber options in theory. Not sure if it is still being made though.
Yes, titanium would be great, except for the $. May go that route...
I'll have to check out the Colt LE901-16S. I wonder how the mag issue works.
MacWa77ace wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 am
Do they sell direct [thru FFL for Lower]. The link doesn't have a shopping cart. Unless, do you have to login? It won't let me create an account. No list of dealers. :(
I sent them a contact email which replied someone would contact me within 3 business days.
Let us know what you hear back. I was scared off by no price listing.
RickOShea wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:31 am
Aero makes their enhanced M4E1 upper, but it comes with an FA. I guess you could always just snatch it out and install an FA plug.
Image]
That certainly looks promising. Checking into it now.

So far I've purchased an HM Defense Monobloc Barrel, Adams Arms Integral gas key BCG, and HM Defense Bolt. I decided while I'm using those parts, what else can I do to eliminate failure points.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 23, 2019 4:32 pm

I'll have to check out the Colt LE901-16S. I wonder how the mag issue works.
It uses a mag well adapter block that comes with the rifle. This allows you to switch back and forth when you change uppers. I think the original target was the military back when "modularity" was the key buzz word.
You go over and under
I go through

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri May 24, 2019 10:30 am

Rugger wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:41 pm
[
MacWa77ace wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 am
Let us know what you hear back. I was scared off by no price listing.

David wrote:Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Amalgamated Titanium. Currently our arms products are not available for sale to the general public but we will inform you through email, when they do become available shortly.

Best Regards,

David

Amalgamated Titanium Int’l Corp.
I've replied about authorized dealers list, but I'm pretty sure when he said general public he either meant thru a web portal as a direct sale or they are still in development and aren't ready for release at all. Because if they had dealers ready he would have given me the list, right?

In my original contact email i asked for a list of authorized dealers. But my first question was "how do I buy your arms products?". Guess I broke the rule of one question per email. So if I get a response to that question then I will ask about MSRP. One ping only please. [question per email]
Lifetime gamer watch at:

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri May 24, 2019 12:05 pm

ME:Are they available thru dealers?
David at Amalgamated wrote:The products are not available meaning that there are no dealers.
ME:Have you worked up an MSRP yet?
David at Amalgamated wrote:No MSRP. I’ll email you when they come out.
Lifetime gamer watch at:

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:08 pm

I have an AR project. Not going for any specific use, the sole purpose is to be the most 'triggering' AR-15 I can manage to build.

The criteria I have chosen as 'triggering' are this: how many AWB features can I manage to stick on a single rifle?

So far, I have the lower pretty well sorted out. I have the following parts, ready to be assembled:

- Spike's Tactical Snowflake lower
- pistol grip (Tango Down, because it was on hand)
- carbine buffer tube with collapsible stock (LaRue type, also on hand in the parts box)
- Law Tactical folding stock adapter

So that will give me a pistol grip, detachable mag (I have 40 rounders and a 48 round extended Magpul 3-gun special available in addition to the standard 20s and 30s), and a stock that folds AND extends, for extra triggering fun.

Now, for the upper, I've cataloged the following possible features, taken from various AWB laws, both state and the now expired Fed ban:

- heat shield, aka a hand guard. This one is pretty easy.
- vertical grip. Also easy, with one possible complication, listed below.
- grenade or flare launcher. This could be looked at a couple of ways. First, the standard A2 birdcage flash hider is also, in fact, compatible with NATO standard 22mm rifle grenades. The CA DoJ considers the rifle grenade launcher on the Yugo M59/66 to be a grenade launcher and thus a destructive device. With proper ammo and enough available barrel past the gas block, the A2 cage can do the same thing. (Hopefully the CA DoJ never figures this out.) So maybe you could count that as a 'grenade launcher.
Alternately, several companies make 37mm flare launchers that can be attached under the barrel. Although this could make attaching a vertical grip more challenging.
- And finally, the bayonet lug. The inclusion of the bayonet lug is often derided, but that just makes me want to include it more. Annoyingly, bayo lugs are only to be found on .mil type A-frame front sight gas blocks. These aren't always compatible with a lot of free float tubes, but a good machinist or 'smith could solve that problem.

The other potential problem with trying to include a bayo lug is if I want to slap a suppressor on the gun at some point. If I do that, I'm going to want an adjustable gas block, and I have yet to find an adjustable gas block with a bayonet lug.

Other than possibly a suppressor, I don't intend to go NFA with this, so no SBR (or under-barrel SBS, for that matter).

The last possible addition, not an AWB feature, but sure to be triggering to at least some people: a cock multicam paint job, as seen here. Definitely would not cover up the pretty unicorn colors on the lower, though.

So, thoughts, ideas, parts suggestions for the upper half?
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:09 pm

Tac-D 37mm launchers have a bit of pic rail that you could attach a VFG to.

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:41 am

Having penis illustrations all of your weapon will be definitely be triggering.
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:59 pm

Langenator wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:08 pm
So, thoughts, ideas, parts suggestions for the upper half?
A QD barrel kit? Cry Havok and Pantheon Arms have a couple different styles, and I think there's a few more out there. IIRC, the new USAF aircrew gun is an M4 SBR with a COTS QD barrel.

Maybe a laser? I personally don't like the things, but they seem to be the current Hollywood shorthand for elite tactical special ops forces and so I'm sure someone'll want to ban 'em.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:15 am

Funny, my first visit to this particular thread, and the newest page seems to hit right where I am.
I just picked up an AR pistol in 556 that came with a 300bo upper. The previous owner ran the 300 with a can which wasn't part of the trade. Handguard is several inches longer than the barrel. No sweat, I've got drawers full of random parts including a great smooth round 9 inch CF handguard.
Get home and start breaking it down and oops - nothing I've got will fit. Google fu finally finds The answer; aero precision m4e1 enhanced upper. Regular handguards are a no-go and the few BAR type options available are not budget friendly.
Spikes and Aero have current production available, seekins discontinued their line up so here's the ask...
Are there any other bar handguard options, preferably well under 100 bucks out there - or a good source of new old stock \ pre owned (not fleabay)?
Any recommendations 7.5 to 10 inch?

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:40 am

SRO1911 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:15 am
Funny, my first visit to this particular thread, and the newest page seems to hit right where I am.
I just picked up an AR pistol in 556 that came with a 300bo upper. The previous owner ran the 300 with a can which wasn't part of the trade. Handguard is several inches longer than the barrel. No sweat, I've got drawers full of random parts including a great smooth round 9 inch CF handguard.
Get home and start breaking it down and oops - nothing I've got will fit. Google fu finally finds The answer; aero precision m4e1 enhanced upper. Regular handguards are a no-go and the few BAR type options available are not budget friendly.
Spikes and Aero have current production available, seekins discontinued their line up so here's the ask...
Are there any other bar handguard options, preferably well under 100 bucks out there - or a good source of new old stock \ pre owned (not fleabay)?
I can't directly answer your question, but what about buying a stripped upper and transplanting the parts? Then you could use whatever handguards you have, for $30 and maybe an hour.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:08 pm

SRO1911 wrote:
What is "well under 100 bucks"?....cause Aero has their black 9 inch Quantum handguards currently listed for $84.99. Or are you saying you are not interested in anything from Aero or Spikes, no matter what the price?

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:13 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:08 pm
What is "well under 100 bucks"?....cause Aero has their black 9 inch Quantum handguards currently listed for $84.99. Or are you saying you are not interested in anything from Aero or Spikes, no matter what the price?
Looked at that one, shipping etc puts it close.
Not picky about brand, shtf I'll have my HK's. This is a bare minimum budget project. I can replace the upper and use parts on hand for 45-50 bucks as boskone mentioned, so that's the break point... But then I've got an upper laying around that I might as well turn into something and it'll only cost.....

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:56 pm

SRO1911 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:13 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Looked at that one, shipping etc puts it close.
Not picky about brand, shtf I'll have my HK's. This is a bare minimum budget project. I can replace the upper and use parts on hand for 45-50 bucks as boskone mentioned, so that's the break point... But then I've got an upper laying around that I might as well turn into something and it'll only cost.....
Think of it as a test of character.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:42 am

Long story short, a good friend decided it was high time I joined the "Evil Black Rifle Club" and gifted me a stripped 5.56/.223 lower for a combination birthday and going away present. I've never really been an AR guy. Last time I worked on one was 40+ years ago when the M16A1 was brand new. What can I say, the platform never really appealed to me so I never bought one. The wife, who thinks I have more than enough guns already (silly woman, that's a null concept) was thankful to hear that I can build it out over time, a few parts at a time, because our budget these days has zero wiggle room, but I'd like to get 'er done in a 12-18 month timeframe. My main problem as I see it is going to be that I have nary a clue as to what parts/brands are crap, what's priced like diamonds but worth it, and everything in the middle. As we all know, price can be an indicator of quality, but it can also just be overpriced donkey turds. I need some help here in separating the wheat from the chaff and maybe finding some decent bargains in the process.

This gun will never be more than a self-defense tool for me. It may be a part-time range toy but it's unlikely to ever be a hunting gun. I have no pretensions to world-class marksmanship skills, though I am competent and not a danger to bystanders (usually). I'm looking to make it something I can rely on to function, first time, every time, if I properly maintain and feed it. It doesn't need to be pretty (or tactisexy) because it likely won't stay that way, but it does need to be durable.

So, first things first, a decent parts kit to build out this lower. What say ye all?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:57 am

RickOShea wrote:
SRO1911 wrote:
I missed that earlier.

Here is a complete lineup for under $100.

https://davidsondefense.com/HANDGUARDS-RAILS_c_22.html
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”