All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by TheLastOne » Thu May 07, 2015 8:31 pm

MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Fri May 08, 2015 10:21 am

TheLastOne wrote:9mm 20c a round shipped:
http://www.targetsportsusa.com/wolf-mil ... p-866.aspx
You just cost me $202.70...but thanks for the heads-up. Now my Snuzi has some cheap fodder to hose through.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri May 08, 2015 3:50 pm

i use wolf steel all the time. I keep a case of aguilar brass 9 around for indoor range use. Both work great at putting holes in paper. I don't see the wolf making anything that much dirtier. Why spend more?
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:47 am

I realized I've become kind of a snob thanks to Dave when it comes to ARs

I'm a member of a big name AR page on facebook and constantly all these guys are posting these crap ARs...all sorts of tactical stuff hanging off, higher power scopes on 16 inch non FF uppers, cheap optics, no lights. Funky stocks and grips. All I can think of is...have you trained with that set up? How heavy is it? Is that laser really necessary?

I know different strokes for different people and not everyone bought their ARs as fighting guns but c'mon. I rather see a KISS rifle than something dressed up with subpar products.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Fri May 15, 2015 7:54 am

Are you saying you don't like my DPMS sportical with 16x NCStar scope, VFG, AFG and bipod?

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:36 am

AS556 wrote:Are you saying you don't like my DPMS sportical with 16x NCStar scope, VFG, AFG and bipod?
:lol: No for the money you spent on the scope and one of those fucking VGs you could have bought/built a BCM/PSA hybrid
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

eeb

Post by eeb » Fri May 15, 2015 11:23 am

I like being able to see my 5.56 bullet holes at 100 yds without a separate spotter scope, okay?

Granted, with an NcStar, they'd likely be rather blurry.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Fri May 15, 2015 3:20 pm

shopping for new barrels..

daniel defence 14.5 mid lightweight - 289$

bcm 14.5 mid lightweight - 239$

which would you get?
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri May 15, 2015 9:40 pm

Blacksheep wrote:shopping for new barrels..

daniel defence 14.5 mid lightweight - 289$

bcm 14.5 mid lightweight - 239$

which would you get?
Love them both...have a couple of each...but of these I'd take the DD for the standard .750" diameter at the gas block.

Edit: especially if you're pinning the muzzle device. Not optimal but at least you have the option of a clamp/bolt on gas block. I know they're not what I'd use if my life depended on it, but I'm not aware of any in .625".

Not an issue if you never plan to replace your gas block (at least not without a lot of ass pain), or you have an SBR/pistol lower.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun May 17, 2015 8:19 pm

Alright folks pistol upper time (to be SBR'd at a later date)

These are the one's on my radar. This is a fun gun, I don't think I'm deploying anywhere with it, so my budget is similar to what is posted below. I can't really get behind $500 for a BCM on this one.

Which is my best bet here (and why...). They all look pretty much the same to me. I don't know anything about stainless barrels either; are they in any way desirable?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... gory/4220/

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... andle.html

Do I want 8.5 inch instead? Is 'pistol length gas system' going to screw me in the long run with feeding?

Keymod handrail already included on this one makes it attractive to me

Upper end of the pricing spectrum, all my bcm stuff is the cold hammer forged, so I lean a little towards this one
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... gory/4220/

Thanks!
Team Beards&Irons 2013

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun May 17, 2015 11:11 pm

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the 10.5" upper is cheaper with the hand guard?!?

Dave or someone with more experience than me can weigh in, but I wouldn't go any shorter than 10.5" on carbine gas for a 5.56 barrel. Vaguely recall reading a lot about dwell times, etc. and would have to find my old research to be sure... I have a 10.3" DD on one lightweight SBR build with carbine gas and it shoots just fine.

Dunno about pistol length gas and an 8.5" barrel on a 5.56... Imagine it'll make one hell of a fireball!

FWIW, the shortest barrel I ever carried on my duty rifle was the 12.5" barrel on my GUU-5P. Edit: it may have been 11.5" now that I think about it. We parachuted with ours and I remember it was significantly shorter than the M4 I also had assigned to me...it was good being the CC and having my pick of the armory!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:49 pm

For a fun gun, I'd go with the 10.5" Nitride. I just bought the 11.5" version, I'm confident that Nitride will stand up to CHF for most practical purposes. On a fighting gun, maybe it'd make a difference, but not a range toy.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:59 pm

GBM has had good luck with his 7.5" pistol gas 5.56, IIRC. Theyre pretty overgassed so you will likely need an H2/3 buffer setup but they can run well with some tuning. I prefer 10" as the minimum mostly because you're still getting respectable velocity out to 100-150m and I like the carbine gas system. My 11" BCM carbine upper ran very, very well. If 8" pistol gas is what you want maybe consider the .300..I shot a 10" Noveske SBR with a can in .300 with 220gr subs today and it was pretty awesome.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon May 18, 2015 7:54 am

This maybe a stupid question, but if you aren't running adjustable gas should you run the heaviest buffer your gun will run?
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:04 am

This is a dumb question...but I've heard it elsewhere on the net...is it true that running a heavier spring and H2/3 buffer will reduce felt recoil impulse a bit?

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon May 18, 2015 10:44 am

I'm not so concerned with recoil as much as trouble free cycling. If the the only thing a heavier buffer will get me is a slightly softer shooting rifle then change the buffer means nothing to me. I've never had any issues getting my rifles to run on the standard buffer. I was reading about adjusting the gas flow, the the instructions said to stop adjusting as soon as the gun cycled through. The one thought led to another and ,...

AS556

Post by AS556 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:14 am

Yes you should run the heaviest buffer your set up will cycle. The felt recoil is slightly reduced in my experience using a heavier buffer and spring, but the real reason you want a heavy buffer is to slow down the cycling of the gun making the feeding, extracting and ejecting smoother and more reliable with less wear and tear on the bolt carrier group. If the gun is overgassed and you aren't countering that with a heavy buffer the action could cycle too fast and send the bolt home before the spent brass clears your ejection port, causing malfs.

I run a Sprinco blue spring and H buffer in my 14.5 mid, I think I could potentially go up to H2 or 3 if running just 5.56 but my current configuration locks back Tula .223 every time so I'm sticking with that.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon May 18, 2015 12:56 pm

So I'm guessing this would be even more import if your building something other than a 5.56 rifle. Thanks for the info.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:25 am

Welp! Bought the 10.5 chf psa upper just now. Had been waiting for it to come back in stock. Free shipping! :crazy: :clownshoes:

Maybe it'll be here by october!
Team Beards&Irons 2013

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:05 pm

Since is just realized that I can hunt with a suppressor in my state, I've been tossing around the idea of a 300blk build. Keeping a total barrel length of just over 16", what's the best Supressor/Barrel combo? Meaning I would want to do something like a fixed monolithic type and only go with one stamp. Or is that just a bad idea?

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:08 pm

brothaman wrote:Since is just realized that I can hunt with a suppressor in my state, I've been tossing around the idea of a 300blk build. Keeping a total barrel length of just over 16", what's the best Supressor/Barrel combo? Meaning I would want to do something like a fixed monolithic type and only go with one stamp. Or is that just a bad idea?
If that's the setup you want, a complete rifle purpose-built along those lines would be a good idea. The Daniel Defense ISR, for example:

https://danieldefense.com/firearms/pist ... -1046.html

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:24 pm

I am giddily waiting for a Silencerco Omega to become mine officially. I first plan to use it on my 11.5" Spike's AR-15. Spike's uses a heavier buffer but I have heard (Mostly from fans of BCM) that the Spike's buffer leaves a lot to be desired. With any certainty, can anyone say for sure if I will absolutely need a heavier buffer or a gas-buster-type charging handle? I've heard some people find suppressors are just plug-and-play but knowing my luck, my experience will be different.

Thanks,
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:30 pm

Dabster wrote:I am giddily waiting for a Silencerco Omega to become mine officially. I first plan to use it on my 11.5" Spike's AR-15. Spike's uses a heavier buffer but I have heard (Mostly from fans of BCM) that the Spike's buffer leaves a lot to be desired. With any certainty, can anyone say for sure if I will absolutely need a heavier buffer or a gas-buster-type charging handle? I've heard some people find suppressors are just plug-and-play but knowing my luck, my experience will be different.

Thanks,
http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ ... ing-handle

I did that on my SBR. Cheap, and you can compare it to a regular CH to see if you think a gasbuster is going to be worth the cash.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

AS556

Post by AS556 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:17 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Dabster wrote:I am giddily waiting for a Silencerco Omega to become mine officially. I first plan to use it on my 11.5" Spike's AR-15. Spike's uses a heavier buffer but I have heard (Mostly from fans of BCM) that the Spike's buffer leaves a lot to be desired. With any certainty, can anyone say for sure if I will absolutely need a heavier buffer or a gas-buster-type charging handle? I've heard some people find suppressors are just plug-and-play but knowing my luck, my experience will be different.

Thanks,
http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ ... ing-handle

I did that on my SBR. Cheap, and you can compare it to a regular CH to see if you think a gasbuster is going to be worth the cash.
That's pretty cool, good idea.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”