All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by AS556 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:17 pm

I too used a pistol tube, but my thing here is that 99% of people building these guns with braced do, in their hearts, intend it to be an SBR that will be shouldered. Can the ATF prove this in court? Probably not. Just decided its not for me. The pistol marked lower is irrelevant IMO as all stripped lowers are sold as handguns now. Just my .02c..trying to help people make informed decisions.

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Post by shoggoth80 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Is there a better way to stabilize a10.5" barrel?
I bought a pistol tube brace kit, to help support what should be a really rad looking pistol.
My lower was purchased, and reported as a pistol. I was gonna do an 8" barrel, but wanted more speed and accuracy.
If the ATF changes their mind about pistol braces, I'll mod my build depending on what I can afford to do at such time.
Right now it's an approved accessory, and so I will build it as such. To me it's not difficult...if the ruling changes, I will alter the build to be compliant.

Edit...in my previous post, I did not mean to imply that I am using the brace to grey SBR. Just that if the rules change, and I have the money and papers set, that going SBR is an option. It's actually something I am considering for another lower/build already as it is.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:50 pm

AS556 wrote:I too used a pistol tube, but my thing here is that 99% of people building these guns with braced do, in their hearts, intend it to be an SBR that will be shouldered. Can the ATF prove this in court? Probably not. Just decided its not for me. The pistol marked lower is irrelevant IMO as all stripped lowers are sold as handguns now. Just my .02c..trying to help people make informed decisions.
Yeah, the pistol lower thing was just me trying to show as much intent as possible. But either way, the ATF can eat a fat one, regardless. Their most recent "finding" regarding 80% lowers is nuts as well. SOOOOOO many issues and loopholes in it as well. It's truly laughable.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:21 pm

I've come to the conclusion that they are fucking crazy. I avoid crazy people at all costs.

Just finished this today.

BCM 14.5 pinned middy with A2X
BCM auto carrier group
Gunfighter charging handle Mod4
ACT trigger
Colt buffer spring
BCM H buffer
PA micro
Streamlight 275 lumen in MOE mount

The rest of the stuff is easy enough to recognize.

Black Sheep
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Tetsuo, Redneck Zombies, Braindead, Dawn remake, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Matango, The Quick and the Undead, The Last Man on Earth, Wild Zero!

Post by Black Sheep » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:03 am

Hi ZS,

Please help me decide. I bought a North Eastern Arms AR15 DMR with 18" barrel. ATM it has a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot, at least 8 pounds of trigger pull, and groups about 8" wide at 100m shooting off a pack. Please don't mock me, I reload and shoot MOA with my stock Remmy 700 tacticool, so it's not all my fault.

I'm broke now I have the rifle, so need to upgrade parts in the smartest order, in case the zombies come soon. If you were me, would you replace the trigger next (probably with a POF drop in at 4.5 pounds, leaving the rifle legal for service rifle comps here) or, would you put a scope on it (probably a Bushnell 3-12x40 AR scope). I want accuracy, and am a target shooter not a hunter or tactical guy.

Trigger or scope and rings are about the same $, if I make the right call I can get three days of joyous range time in this month.

Please don't go crazy suggesting other stuff I should get, it'll break my heart cos I live on a pacific island and can only look at cool rifle parts and accessories on the interwebs most of the time. I'm too scared to buy parts on ebay in case I break that US law about exporting weapony things, and here we have little choice and crazy prices.

Also, where can I find info about what I can and can't buy from the US that might be weapony? I'd like to buy tools and spare parts.

Thanks in advance,

Sheep.
Fear? I know not fear. There are only moments of confusion. Some of them are deeply stamped on my memory and a few will haunt me forever. Hunter S. Thompson

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:36 am

I'd go trigger first. The Bushnell TRS-25 is actually a really solid red dot for the money. I also think the trigger will improve your groups quite a bit, and you will be able to spend your range time working on getting used to that trigger. A scope takes seconds to get used to(for me anyways), whereas a trigger might take quite a few rounds.

I can't help you with import rules.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Post by shoggoth80 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:19 am

A friend of mine had a TRS-25 on his AK... little thing holds up well.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:06 pm

Trigger first. A good trigger will tighten up groups better than a good scope.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:14 pm

Black Sheep wrote:Hi ZS,

Please help me decide. I bought a North Eastern Arms AR15 DMR with 18" barrel. ATM it has a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot, at least 8 pounds of trigger pull, and groups about 8" wide at 100m shooting off a pack. Please don't mock me, I reload and shoot MOA with my stock Remmy 700 tacticool, so it's not all my fault.

I'm broke now I have the rifle, so need to upgrade parts in the smartest order, in case the zombies come soon. If you were me, would you replace the trigger next (probably with a POF drop in at 4.5 pounds, leaving the rifle legal for service rifle comps here) or, would you put a scope on it (probably a Bushnell 3-12x40 AR scope). I want accuracy, and am a target shooter not a hunter or tactical guy.

Trigger or scope and rings are about the same $, if I make the right call I can get three days of joyous range time in this month.

Please don't go crazy suggesting other stuff I should get, it'll break my heart cos I live on a pacific island and can only look at cool rifle parts and accessories on the interwebs most of the time. I'm too scared to buy parts on ebay in case I break that US law about exporting weapony things, and here we have little choice and crazy prices.

Also, where can I find info about what I can and can't buy from the US that might be weapony? I'd like to buy tools and spare parts.

Thanks in advance,

Sheep.
With the POF trigger, keep in mind that it's a single stage. 3-gunners love this type, because it allows faster shots for running and gunning. Target shooters such as NRA High Power tend to prefer a two-stage trigger. CMC makes both types (3.5 lb) in a drop-in package.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Black Sheep
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Tetsuo, Redneck Zombies, Braindead, Dawn remake, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Matango, The Quick and the Undead, The Last Man on Earth, Wild Zero!

Post by Black Sheep » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:06 am

Thank you all very much for your input, looks like I'll be in touch with the guy I bought the rifle from to source a trigger.

Interested to hear what people think about the Bushnell AR specific scopes.
Fear? I know not fear. There are only moments of confusion. Some of them are deeply stamped on my memory and a few will haunt me forever. Hunter S. Thompson

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:24 am

Okay, so I recieved my new ALG ACT trigger. Looks markedly like the Geissele SSA-E that I already have, as was mentioned...

Anyway, do they make them in black? I really don't care for a silver trigger sticking out of my Evil Black Rolfe. Or the two silver pins in the receiver... I don't recall seeing an option to pick a color, but it's also possible that the place I ordered it from was out of stock...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:00 am

Akin wrote:Okay, so I recieved my new ALG ACT trigger. Looks markedly like the Geissele SSA-E that I already have, as was mentioned...

Anyway, do they make them in black? I really don't care for a silver trigger sticking out of my Evil Black Rolfe. Or the two silver pins in the receiver... I don't recall seeing an option to pick a color, but it's also possible that the place I ordered it from was out of stock...

They are all nickle. Don't worry, it will just let anyone who's anyone know you've got enough sense to get a good trigger. If it doesn't match your shoes, take a sharpie to it. :mrgreen:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

AS556

Post by AS556 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:05 am

Not that I know of. I'd just tape off everything but the trigger face and rattle can the exposed parts black. Be sure to degrease with isopropyl alcohol first if you go this route.

Or you could embrace the silver and get a NiB carrier to match.

Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:38 am

Langenator wrote:
With the POF trigger, keep in mind that it's a single stage. 3-gunners love this type, because it allows faster shots for running and gunning. Target shooters such as NRA High Power tend to prefer a two-stage trigger. CMC makes both types (3.5 lb) in a drop-in package.
I checked again and found my rifle is only eligible for open class service rifle competition meaning I can use any trigger. Picked up a two stage CMC. It'll be interesting to try it, despite years of target shooting I've never used one.

Still keen to hear about Bushnell AR scopes.

Armor76

Post by Armor76 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:24 pm

Figured it out. Thanks anyway.
Last edited by Armor76 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
You are responsible for you.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off. Gloria Steinem
In most cases, people, even wicked people, are far more naive and simple-hearted than one generally assumes. And so are we.

Lots of good advice/philosophy here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUq6YotwOIo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It really starts at the 40 second mark.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:31 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Akin wrote:Okay, so I recieved my new ALG ACT trigger. Looks markedly like the Geissele SSA-E that I already have, as was mentioned...

They are all nickle. Don't worry, it will just let anyone who's anyone know you've got enough sense to get a good trigger. If it doesn't match your shoes, take a sharpie to it. :mrgreen:
The ALG QMS is black. Same thing is the ACT but black to blend in with issued triggers.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:15 pm

Does anyone know if I'd be able to shove a ACT trigger in a SR762?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:04 am

0122358 wrote:Does anyone know if I'd be able to shove a ACT trigger in a SR762?
I don't see why not. Seems like most of the AR-10 type rifles take AR-15 triggers.....I stuck an SSA in my LMT MWS 308.

ETA: Jeff Quinn says, "Any standard AR-pattern trigger can be installed into the SR-762 rifle."

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR762.htm
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:14 am

RickOShea wrote:
0122358 wrote:Does anyone know if I'd be able to shove a ACT trigger in a SR762?
I don't see why not. Seems like most of the AR-10 type rifles take AR-15 triggers.....I stuck an SSA in my LMT MWS 308.

ETA: Jeff Quinn says, "Any standard AR-pattern trigger can be installed into the SR-762 rifle."

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR762.htm
Awesome, good. That and a BCM tactical charging handle are the first two things im installing on my Ruger when I buy it in June
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:30 am

Dave_M wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:

The ALG QMS is black. Same thing is the ACT but black to blend in with issued triggers.
It's the same thing, yet significantly cheaper? Are you sure?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Akin wrote:
Dave_M wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:

It's the same thing, yet significantly cheaper? Are you sure?
Specs are slightly different but many side to side comparisons had the exact same trigger weight. A large part of any trigger has to do with geometry between the hammer and trigger/disconnector, so there will be slight different feels from lower to lower unless it's a captive/cassette trigger (this makes a much larger difference on something less consistent than an AR, such ads an AK). ACT is a little smoother if unlubricated because of the NiB coating. Neither one is a match trigger and can roughly be compared to a good USGI LMT trigger IMO.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:48 am

Anyone here currently running the JP Enterprise Silent Capture buffer system? My latest "go to" build has a brake and adjustable block, and I've got this fascination with smoothing out the operation as much as possible. Thinking it might run well with my standard carbine weight bolt carrier for a nice medium ground between race gun operation and fighting carbine reliability.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:52 pm

Hey, guys. Looking to put together an AR, and I'm a rifle noob. Looking at getting my first component, the PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1/7 PREMIUM UPPER - WITHOUT BCG OR CHARGING HANDLE for about $290 shipped.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... andle.html

Any better deals out there for a mid length with Chrome moly barrel with chrome lined bore and similar quality build overall? Or should I go for it? I've ordered other items from PSA, and I am happy to stick with them.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:58 pm

raistlin wrote:Hey, guys. Looking to put together an AR, and I'm a rifle noob. Looking at getting my first component, the PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1/7 PREMIUM UPPER - WITHOUT BCG OR CHARGING HANDLE for about $290 shipped.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... andle.html

Any better deals out there for a mid length with Chrome moly barrel with chrome lined bore and similar quality build overall? Or should I go for it? I've ordered other items from PSA, and I am happy to stick with them.
Looks good. Personally, for the next one I buy I'm going to hold out for cold hammer forged.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”