All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by 0122358 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:21 am

Thanks guys...that helps mostly. TLO, I did do a google search which is where I got confused...So I think I'm going to enjoy a lower 1/3 co-witness after all. Doing some ready drills had me realizing that naturally my eyes are brought to where a lower third would go and to truly line up with my irons I have to squish my cheek a bit more.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:55 am

Anyone on here tried the Nickel Boron BCG's from AIM?

AIM AR/M16 .223/5.56 NiB MPI Bolt Carrier Group $99 (*Click*)

Trying to take advantage of as many of the post-panic sales as I can.

That WMD BCG I have has worked out great, gains me quite a bit more of a round count between cleaning times. They're still pretty spendy though.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:03 pm

Browning 35 wrote:Anyone on here tried the Nickel Boron BCG's from AIM?

PSSTTTT, don't tell anyone but the vast majority of MPI bolts are FN. Then they're sent out for NiB coating. Good kit.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:23 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:

PSSTTTT, don't tell anyone but the vast majority of MPI bolts are FN. Then they're sent out for NiB coating. Good kit.
Meaning the majority of bolts on the market period?

Do you know who makes PSA premium carrier groups?

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:46 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:

Are they FN? Didn't know that.

I was wondering about the NiB finish though since that's aftermarket. I've read and seen pics of the early AIM NiB BCG's where the finish flaked off on a few of them and they turned sort of a goldish/copper color after a really small round count.

Also heard that AIM's customer service totally came through, replaced or reimbursed the customers affected and fixed the problem by coming out with a Gen II of this finish that supposedly had none of these issues. However all this happened in April of this year so I was wondering if anyone had bought one of these and had more than a few rds down range and what they'd seen of the finish and if it was still holding up or what.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:05 pm

Browning 35 wrote:
I was wondering about the NiB finish though since that's aftermarket. I've read and seen pics of the early AIM NiB BCG's where the finish flaked off on a few of them and they turned sort of a goldish/copper color after a really small round count.

Also heard that AIM's customer service totally came through, replaced or reimbursed the customers affected and fixed the problem by coming out with a Gen II of this finish that supposedly had none of these issues. However all this happened in April of this year so I was wondering if anyone had bought one of these and had more than a few rds down range and what they'd seen of the finish and if it was still holding up or what.
Yeah, the coating adds a few mm of thickness. Then there were other issues but it's sorted out now.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:09 pm

There are several ways to do NiB coatings. I wonder if AIM does theirs in-house or it's farmed out?

I know that Spikes NiB carriers are done by FZ (at least they used to be).

Regardless, if you want to keep em' shiny, don't use any cleaners with ammonia in them (ala' Hoppes #9) because they're destructive to nickel.

Mine still runs like a bastard even though it's no longer shiny.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:48 pm

Cool, thanks guys.

-

I don't think any of the cleaners or lube I use has ammonia in it (Slip2000 EWG Lube, Breakfree, non-chlorinated CRC Brakleen, Frog-lube etc), hasn't been an issue with that WMD NiB BCG yet. Has been some discoloration from use, but no flaking and the whole thing hasn't turned a different color.

I'll probably pick one up.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:21 am

Happiness is... finishing building a new lower, grabbing the upper you just bought and then going to grab your last BCM BCG... only to discover you actually have three of the damn things.

I don;t even recall buying those other two. Must have been a reflex action after they finally started showing up in stock again...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Speaking of my latest build...

I haven't touched a 20" ARish rifle since Uncle Sam cruelly made me turn in the M16A2 he had let me play with back in the day. So I'm a little rusty...

Is the little plate thingy behind the front sight post on a 20" AR supposed to be round or triangular? You know the thing, it holds the front of the handguards ion place?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Akin wrote:Speaking of my latest build...

I haven't touched a 20" ARish rifle since Uncle Sam cruelly made me turn in the M16A2 he had let me play with back in the day. So I'm a little rusty...

Is the little plate thingy behind the front sight post on a 20" AR supposed to be round or triangular? You know the thing, it holds the front of the handguards ion place?
The hand guard caps are usually triangular on the rifle-length and mid-length uppers, and round on the carbine-length ones.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:45 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Akin wrote:Speaking of my latest build...

The hand guard caps are usually triangular on the rifle-length and mid-length uppers, and round on the carbine-length ones.
They are on this upper I have from Palmetto. Guess I was expecting round... likely because every other AR I've played with or built in the past decade or so has been a "shorty", as we used to call them. I guess it's damn near the default configuration, these days...

Related question... anyone have any experience with a Knight's Armament M5 RAS? It fits on perfectly without the little adapter piece that goes under the barrel near the front... but if I install that piece (I've no idea what it's called), I can't get the lower rail mounted at all.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:36 pm

I think I am getting out of AR's for awhile. I finished my dream build by finally meeting the right people.

BCM BFH 16 inch
LT 9 inch rail

spikes lower with bcm grip and b5 sopmod bravo
ares huskey II

eotech exps 2-0

Training, training, training
crypto wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
I hate you guys sometimes
FTFY
FTFY.

Richter

Post by Richter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:14 pm

question for you guys...

I got a new PA MD-06 RDS. The dot looks kinda weird. It has like spider legs or cracks below the dot. This happens no matter how I rotate or move the rifle and it also tends to happen in lower/dimmer ambient light. I've an absolute cowitness mount. Are my eyes just messed up or something? I always fancied my sight to be very good and I had 20/20 in high school (9 years ago). I tried taking a picture for you guys but they all show a clean and crisp dot and as soon as i look through it again, the spider legs come back.

I haven't taken it out shooting yet and it's definitely shootable but it's just annoying.

What gives?

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:23 pm

Richter wrote:question for you guys...

I got a new PA MD-06 RDS. The dot looks kinda weird. It has like spider legs or cracks below the dot. This happens no matter how I rotate or move the rifle and it also tends to happen in lower/dimmer ambient light. I've an absolute cowitness mount. Are my eyes just messed up or something? I always fancied my sight to be very good and I had 20/20 in high school (9 years ago). I tried taking a picture for you guys but they all show a clean and crisp dot and as soon as i look through it again, the spider legs come back.

I haven't taken it out shooting yet and it's definitely shootable but it's just annoying.

What gives?
It's probably a reflection off the emitter. Is the streak around 11 o'clock (meaning does it angle up in that direction)?

If it bugs you and is really noticeable (can't tell since there are no pics) contact P. A. and see what they can do for you.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

Richter

Post by Richter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Browning 35 wrote:

What gives?
It's probably a reflection off the emitter. Is the streak around 11 o'clock (meaning does it angle up in that direction)?

If it bugs you and is really noticeable (can't tell since there are no pics) contact P. A. and see what they can do for you.
Thanks. I just tried to take a pic again, but same results. Clear dot... distortion disappears when i aim at the light... weird.

I'll shoot them an email. I was just wonderif anyone else had noticed this or had experienced it so i thought I'd ask.

Thanks again

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 pm

What gives?
Do you have astigmatism? I am only slightly astigmatic, but sometimes it is more noticeable than others. Makes my red dot blur or bloom out a bit, like I have it on too high of a setting.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:43 am

Richter wrote:Thanks. I just tried to take a pic again, but same results. Clear dot... distortion disappears when i aim at the light... weird.

I'll shoot them an email. I was just wonderif anyone else had noticed this or had experienced it so i thought I'd ask.

Thanks again
On the PA Micro is seems to affect some, but not others. I've heard of some red dots that were real bad, most aren't. I just recently bought one too and if I get in a cockeyed angle where I'm viewing the underside of the top of the tube I can see kind of a red glow around the edges in the 10-11 o'clock area, but the middle is clear and there aren't red streaks throughout it or anything.

If it were in the middle of the optic that would bug me, luckily it's not.

This is the best I can do and my pic is opposite, in the pic it appears way worse than it is to me. I put a square around the glow that I'm talking about.

I'd call or email P.A. if it was mine.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

Richter

Post by Richter » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:50 am

Sworbeyegib wrote:

What gives?
Do you have astigmatism? I am only slightly astigmatic, but sometimes it is more noticeable than others. Makes my red dot blur or bloom out a bit, like I have it on too high of a setting.
Not from what I know. The dot looks crisp but the problem is those spider legs in the dark.

Browning35, I can definitely see the red glow showing on your picture and mine' s the same. Maybe I'll take a picture and draw in the red streaks with Microsoft Paint so you can see what I'm referring to, even if I cant catch it with a camera

Thanks

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:10 am

Richter wrote:Not from what I know. The dot looks crisp but the problem is those spider legs in the dark.

Browning35, I can definitely see the red glow showing on your picture and mine' s the same. Maybe I'll take a picture and draw in the red streaks with Microsoft Paint so you can see what I'm referring to, even if I cant catch it with a camera

Thanks
Did a search. 10 posts up from the bottom, does it look like that?

(If so...wow, that's bad)

Primary Arms thread ARF.com page 38
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

Richter

Post by Richter » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:28 am

Browning 35 wrote:
Richter wrote:Not from what I know. The dot looks crisp but the problem is those spider legs in the dark.

Thanks
Did a search. 10 posts up from the bottom, does it look like that?

(If so...wow, that's bad)

Primary Arms thread ARF.com page 38
It's not quite as bad as that one (first picture/post by the guy with the issue) and it is also emanating from the dot itself.

I've taken a picture of it and drew the distortion in blue for better viewing.

I also found another post on ARFCOM about it. It's for a different sight but it was the closest picture I could find:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 8&t=624706

Take a look at the first picture and imagine that the distortion was coming from the middle of the dot towards the edge of the sight at the 7 o'clock position.

I've also emailed Primary Arms. We'll see what they say.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:47 am

Yeah, that would annoy the shit out of me.

Hopefully they'll replace it.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

Richter

Post by Richter » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:53 am

Heard back from PA. Speedy and helpful responses.

They suggested to take it shooting to see if it does anything, which I will do. They offered to replace it with prepaid shipping as well within the 1 year warranty.

I'll have other people look through the dot to see if they can see the same thing as me and take the necessary actions. Good to know PA was willing to get it taken care of.

Thanks again guys.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Richter wrote:Thanks again guys.
Yep, no problem.
Heard back from PA. Speedy and helpful responses.

They suggested to take it shooting to see if it does anything, which I will do. They offered to replace it with prepaid shipping as well within the 1 year warranty.

I'll have other people look through the dot to see if they can see the same thing as me and take the necessary actions. Good to know PA was willing to get it taken care of.
Cool, so they offered shipping there and back AND to replace it? That's pretty good. Far cry from what that guy was saying in that ARF.com thread.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”