All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BustedKnuckles

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by BustedKnuckles » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:24 am

Does anyone know what the handstop/flange thing is on this AAC Honey Badger?

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:10 am

Scroll down to the bottom. It's not out yet I guess, just been developed. Keep checking on the AAC website.

http://soldiersystems.net/tag/aac/
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:25 am

Ok Y'all I'm about to purchase my first budget optic...EoTech 512 or Aimpoint PRO? Which one...Aimpoint shares compatibility with my flashlight in terms of batteries, but the 512 is cheaper by 70 bucks and runs on AAs which are cheaper, and it is a beginner optic which I will transfer to another rifle in a couple years.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:54 am

you won't go wrong with either choice, but I'd give the edge to the aimpoint. I love my eotech xps, but I've seen a few instances of the battery cover on the 512 poppin off at inopportune times, but that may be a small sample/and they were old... maybe the cover has changed. Does eotech still have the rebate thing going? Maybe you can choose between an xps and an aimpoint (which would be a tougher choice probably).
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:26 am

TheLastOne wrote:you won't go wrong with either choice, but I'd give the edge to the aimpoint. I love my eotech xps, but I've seen a few instances of the battery cover on the 512 poppin off at inopportune times, but that may be a small sample/and they were old... maybe the cover has changed. Does eotech still have the rebate thing going? Maybe you can choose between an xps and an aimpoint (which would be a tougher choice probably).
Thought about that too...the XPS ($469) has a 75 off rebate with the 512 having a 50 ($369). The Aimpoint PRO is 399 right now at Botach.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:38 am

Out of those I have the most experience with the 512 and whole I like it, it is heavy/bulky. That a factor?
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 am

0122358 wrote:Ok Y'all I'm about to purchase my first budget optic...EoTech 512 or Aimpoint PRO? Which one...Aimpoint shares compatibility with my flashlight in terms of batteries, but the 512 is cheaper by 70 bucks and runs on AAs which are cheaper, and it is a beginner optic which I will transfer to another rifle in a couple years.
Welp, just baleted the nice prosey post. Fuck it.

TL:DR I only have one Eotech and it's because reasons. I sold my XPS and bought an R1. My bedside riffle wears a PRO, because it never turns off and the battery is good for approximately forever. Eotechs go to sleep, but they still eat batteries like they're steroids at a Mr Universe prequalifier round. Keep in mind I have a two hour drive to get to range that's more than 50m, although I'm trying to stretch the home range to a round hundo, but still I've never had much call for the ranging capabilities of the Eotech. If I had a longer range nearby that didn't require joining the NRA, AARP, CIA, PETA, NAACP, UNCLE, and CONTROL in addition to owning a boat, knowing a member, and sacrificing a small child on a golf course on a harvest moon then I might appreciate that feature more.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:54 am

Hmm, I think I'd either get the PRO or spend the extra for the XPS. Since you're wanting to upgrade later I'd just get your upgrade in now... Neither one has great resale value (the PRO currently has a slight margin but once the T2 comes out...)

If you go with the 512 be sure to use Lithium AA batteries. Better battery life and they are rarely subject to rupture (and subsequent ruin of electronics) unlike their alkaline brethren.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:26 pm

id go with an xps o. i traded my pro for one, the exps 2-0. my eyes can see the target and and it's not a starburst as much.
crypto wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
I hate you guys sometimes
FTFY
FTFY.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:03 am

Think I might go with the xps20...it's 5 bucks cheaper than the aimpoint after rebate.

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:38 pm

0122358 wrote:Think I might go with the xps20...it's 5 bucks cheaper than the aimpoint after rebate.

It's a good sight for the money, you may need a riser for co witnessing or that may just be me. Good shit though
crypto wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
I hate you guys sometimes
FTFY
FTFY.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:20 pm

0122358 wrote:Think I might go with the xps20...it's 5 bucks cheaper than the aimpoint after rebate.

It's a good sight for the money, you may need a riser for co witnessing or that may just be me. Good shit though
I know you have shitty eyes...I might ask Shiloh if he has any red dot experience as well since he's lost vision in an eye like myself.

I don't need no stinging riser :lol:

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 pm

I have a PRO on my AR-15, but do like the Eotechs too. I had my Dad's extra XPS on my gun before I bought my own optic. I just like the PRO because, I prefer the simple controls and of course the battery life.

I also prefer running my gun with the front iron sight deployed. I found having the front post + the Eotechs "circle/dot" to be a little too busy for my taste, and it slowed down my target acquisition jus a bit.\. I'd rather have just a dot if I'm running my front site up or have a fixed front site. However, I do shoot the Eotech slightly better at extended distances from the bench with the front sight folded down.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:18 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:I have a PRO on my AR-15, but do like the Eotechs too. I had my Dad's extra XPS on my gun before I bought my own optic. I just like the PRO because, I prefer the simple controls and of course the battery life.

I also prefer running my gun with the front iron sight deployed. I found having the front post + the Eotechs "circle/dot" to be a little too busy for my taste, and it slowed down my target acquisition jus a bit.\. I'd rather have just a dot if I'm running my front site up or have a fixed front site. However, I do shoot the Eotech slightly better at extended distances from the bench with the front sight folded down.
A lower 1/3rd cowitness will help with that
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 pm

Dave_M wrote:
Sworbeyegib wrote:I have a PRO on my AR-15, but do like the Eotechs too. I had my Dad's extra XPS on my gun before I bought my own optic. I just like the PRO because, I prefer the simple controls and of course the battery life.

A lower 1/3rd cowitness will help with that
I seem to be the oddball of my group of friends and family that prefers shooting with a absolute cowitness. It's just a habit I haven't bothered trying to break because it has always worked fine for me. I'm also the only one running an Aimpoint though.

Another reason I prefer the single dot is because I am slightly astigmatic. And while it doesn't happen too often, the Aimpoint's dot is easier to work with than the Eotech when it does flare up. However at that point, I'm probably better off running on irons if it is especially detrimental. For the type of shooting I normally do, it is a bit of a moot point though.

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

So I'm likely getting a PSA upper for my next AR. So forgive my ignorance, but what advantages/disadvantages does a stainless barrel offer over the standard offering. I'm assuming better corrosion resistance, but anything else? How about weight wise?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Maybe less wear resistance but in all practical terms probably wear just as well as a chromelined as long as your not doing constant mag dumps.

One thing I've seen is they are more accurate. I have a Wilson Combat fluted 16.5" and it is by the most accurate AR I have. I have a few DDs and PSA that are CL'd but neither can hang with the WC. With a premium bullet it will bug hole @ 100 yds. To really squish the most out of it make sure you free float the barrel.

Good luck, post pics!
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:... To really squish the most out of it make sure you free float the barrel...
And get a decent (or better if it's in the budget) trigger. Hard to beat an ALG for the $$.

And yes, pics please!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:02 am

Sworbeyegib wrote:So I'm likely getting a PSA upper for my next AR. So forgive my ignorance, but what advantages/disadvantages does a stainless barrel offer over the standard offering. I'm assuming better corrosion resistance, but anything else? How about weight wise?
I'm a big fan of melonite if you can. All the pros of stainless without the shiny, and supposed to wear/corrode less.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:00 am

Ok can Y'all help me out with an Eotech thing? How big in the sight picture is the reticle on the XPS? Im trying to find pictures and I swear its either really small or seems huge...so what does it actually look like? Pics would be helpful then I can ascertain an average.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:17 am

0122358 wrote:Ok can Y'all help me out with an Eotech thing? How big in the sight picture is the reticle on the XPS? Im trying to find pictures and I swear its either really small or seems huge...so what does it actually look like? Pics would be helpful then I can ascertain an average.
It's small.

On mine, the outer ring is approximately the diameter pf the front irons, just because of where it's mounted relative to my eyeball and the irons. I could take some pics if you like.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:32 am

also google image search 'eotech sight picture'. you'll get a lot of results that will likely help

here's a shitty quality but pretty well descriptive one
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:10 pm

TLO has a pic of what mine looks like mounted a like 2 inch's forward of the charging handle on my AR.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Just an update to my post a page ago:
Primary Arms sent me 2 free crossbolt screws for my mount. Have to give them a nod for good service.
I received my Polytac and put it at 1o clock via an MOE mount and some scope rings I got for a dollar. Total cost $45 for the whole setup plus its the newer 275 lumen model. Took it out for a 100rd range trip and everything held together just fine.

AR now has:
RDS
WML
VCAS
75Gr OTM

It's ready for HD 8-)

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”