All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Redeyes » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Nothing wrong with trying to make your rifle lighter within reason. I work for a living 50-60 hours on my feet (except for an hour or two of charting), 12-13 hour shifts pushing, pulling, rolling and lifting patients whose average weight is probably around 200lb. I also work around the house doing the obligatory manly chores and try to get exercise a couple times a week. Why is my rifle lightweight? Because it is possible that after a 50 hour week and spending my first day off cutting brush with a brush axe or digging holes with a cutter mattock and shovel, or something some shithead might try to offer me violence in or around my property. If I have to hold my rifle up for any length of time I will be grateful for the lighter weight. And yes, I have a Ares sling. After that type of work anything is heavy. Shit, depending on what I have been doing, turning the steering wheel can be hard. I am not saying y'all don't work hard too, I am saying I get weary after a hard week. Let me add smilies so people understand my tone. :D 8-) :mrgreen:

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:35 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:. Do more pushups and tighten up your sling.
I was thinking this from the beginning of the discussion, but actually managed not to say it in case of injury or differently abled :crazy:

8.5# rifles aren't heavy. How long can you possibly be shouldering the weapon? More pt is better for you than trying to shave half a pound off the banger.
Yeah, my left shoulder is pretty banged up so it's harder to hold a rifle for a long time. ARs arnt too bad, but big/fat/long guns suck ass for me nowadays.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:31 am

Redeyes wrote:I work for a living

Welp, there you go. Lots of good reasons in there that I don't experience. Clearing my property is about 900 sq ft of condo :rofl: The hoa also deals with clearing the 'brush'...
My job is on my feet for about the same amt of time but a lot less physical. My exercise comes from the gym and while I'm pretty much sore all the time it is rare that I find pain in driving. Stairs, now stairs are some evil shit. Might be I'm not trying hard enough upper body wise. :words:

:wink:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:09 am

got an eotech, much better than my pro
crypto wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
I hate you guys sometimes
FTFY
FTFY.

Frank

Post by Frank » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:56 pm

So I've been in the AR game for a month or two and have been slowly working on upgrading it (training and ammo come first)
I recently came across a decently priced NiB Bolt carrier and bolt (no cam or firing pin). After some research, which I should of done before purchasing, It turns out it's a LWRC DI bolt carrier and the advanced combat bolt in 5.56 . What's the general consensus on these? I'm on vacation so I haven't been able to drop it into my rifle yet. I've haven't been able to find any info on them from LWRCs website. The only thing I'm worried about is the pretty proprietary method of including the gas keys into the bolt carrier itself .
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Frank, I don't have personal experience with your bolt, doesn't look like there's much info on it. Try it in your rifle and if it works, roll with it. If that doesn't sound appealing I'd recommend selling it and buying a BCM auto carrier group.

Just my .02c

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Ares Armor has their NiB BCG's on sale for 115 bucks again. I finally caved, which means I HAVE to build a new AR around my old phosphate BCG and a lower I bought in 2008.

I mean I pretty much have to.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:Ares Armor has their NiB BCG's on sale for 115 bucks again. I finally caved, which means I HAVE to build a new AR around my old phosphate BCG and a lower I bought in 2008.

Yeah, I have an extra fore grip right now. It pretty much requires that I build a new gun for it.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:50 pm

I got a striped lower and enough furniture ,BCG,opps parts to almost build an AR. Need to grab an upper , barrle, LPK and im done.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:24 pm

Weird. I want a Voodoo Innovations super light weight barrel and I believe that makes it a requirement to build an AR. :crazy:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:40 pm

GBM i was just at PSA site putting stuff in my cart one was a Voodoo Innovations 18 inch fluted barrel.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:23 pm

You people need more willpower.

I need to find a pistol length gas tube somewhere that doesn't charge almost as much for shipping as they do for the tube. Or more. :vmad:
(Also, I realize there's not much point to getting a nitrided gas tube, but I almost kinda wanna. :clownshoes: )
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:03 pm

Mr.E

Amazon to you aid. The tube is $7.99 and shipping to me is $4.99. Your shipping may vari.

http://www.amazon.com/AR-15-Pistol-Leng ... B00BRWBHFW

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:15 pm

feedthedog wrote:
Vicarious_Lee wrote:Ares Armor has their NiB BCG's on sale for 115 bucks again. I finally caved, which means I HAVE to build a new AR around my old phosphate BCG and a lower I bought in 2008.

Yeah, I have an extra fore grip right now. It pretty much requires that I build a new gun for it.
Hilarious! Because it's true!
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:You people need more willpower.
What is this arcane power of which you speak?
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Rednex wrote:Mr.E

Amazon to you aid. The tube is $7.99 and shipping to me is $4.99. Your shipping may vari.

http://www.amazon.com/AR-15-Pistol-Leng ... B00BRWBHFW
Amazon! D'oh! I didn't even think of that. Thanks!
Gingerbread Man wrote:
:crazy: You think I know? :rofl:

Frank

Post by Frank » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:42 pm

AS556 wrote:Frank, I don't have personal experience with your bolt, doesn't look like there's much info on it. Try it in your rifle and if it works, roll with it. If that doesn't sound appealing I'd recommend selling it and buying a BCM auto carrier group.

Just my .02c
Dropped it into my rifle and it seems to work great. I'm still an AR noob so maybe I can't appreciate the sublte nuances like you more experience guys can . It's probably had 600 rounds of steel case without a single problem.
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Frank wrote:
AS556 wrote:Frank, I don't have personal experience with your bolt, doesn't look like there's much info on it. Try it in your rifle and if it works, roll with it. If that doesn't sound appealing I'd recommend selling it and buying a BCM auto carrier group.

Just my .02c
Dropped it into my rifle and it seems to work great. I'm still an AR noob so maybe I can't appreciate the sublte nuances like you more experience guys can . It's probably had 600 rounds of steel case without a single problem.
I've only got a few k on the system, not all that experienced really. Grats on your new bolt functioning though.

I might add though that steel case (also steel jacketed) ammo shoots your bore out in around 6-7 thousand rounds. Can be cheaper to shoot steel and replace barrels than buy brass, though.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:
:crazy: You think I know? :rofl:
...I don't, by the way. :crazy:

Progress. Going to assemble the upper tomorrow, just hand tightened things to get the idea. Samson 9" rail is on the way.
Last edited by Mr. E. Monkey on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:29 pm

That CMMG (Cough, cough FN) barrel is te-tatz! I've not had a problem from mine and is super light.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Yeah, I'm liking it so far. (For what that's worth, I guess. :lol: )

I do like that they already had a dimple drilled for the gas block set screw. One less thing for me to screw up. :D

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:That CMMG (Cough, cough FN) barrel is te-tatz! I've not had a problem from mine and is super light.
FN is making sone of their barrels now? I wrote off CMMG barrels several years ago due to some issues I saw. Might have to give them another look.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Dave_M wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:That CMMG (Cough, cough FN) barrel is te-tatz! I've not had a problem from mine and is super light.
FN is making sone of their barrels now? I wrote off CMMG barrels several years ago due to some issues I saw. Might have to give them another look.
I built a buttload of uppers with their WASP melonited barrels. IDK who actually makes them, but they were the intersection of cheap and damn accurate at the time. No complaints yet.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Frank

Post by Frank » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:21 am

AS556 wrote:
I've only got a few k on the system, not all that experienced really. Grats on your new bolt functioning though.

I might add though that steel case (also steel jacketed) ammo shoots your bore out in around 6-7 thousand rounds. Can be cheaper to shoot steel and replace barrels than buy brass, though.
Yeah, bi metal jacketed ammo cuts your barrel life down quite a bit as I've read. I haven't run Steel case through it exclusively ,I picked up a few cans of m193 to start out with and a lot of m855 which is the round I carry in my fighting gear mags . But to someone who's new to rifles (3.5-4k. Through a pistol) it's easier to train twice a month shooting steel case than brass.
Does anyone have any idea how long the barrel life of chrome lined nitrited treated barrel is?

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”