All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Rednex » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:30 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Dave_M wrote:
Resolute wrote:and you don't have to worry about putting the first scratch on it.
Who worries about that? :awesome:
A Sharpie marker covers up a multitude of AR receiver finish sins. Nix that: It doesn't "cover up" so much as it makes the blems utterly disappear.

Just sayin'.
My guns in general wear there scratch's and blem's as badge's of honor. They get used and look like they do. Now when i traded in a shotgun i did get told that the mark's on it meant i would not get top dollar but meh.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:38 am

Resolute wrote:For those looking for a cheap lower, PSA has $60 blem lowers right now. It's awfully tempting to pick one up - and you don't have to worry about putting the first scratch on it.
I've never been able to determine what the 'blem' was on any of the 'blems' I've purchased. My cousin the engineer says that it would have failed some sort of quality control, but I think, to some degree, they just need to sell a bunch of lowers without devaluing the full price lowers.

For what it's worth, he bought two of them.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Parts I've collected for the wifes s.p.r. build so far.

Vltor modular upper with forward assist
DD 18" s2w barrel
DSA Spartan stripped lower
DD lower parts kit with Magpul trigger guard
DD low profile gas block
Magpul a2 moe rifle stock
Bobro extended 1" mount
Leupold M8 6x42
Moe k grip
Wilson combat midlength gas tube
XS xti buis
BCM gunfighter mod 5

Still need
rifle length buffer, spring and tube
Flash suppressor/brake
bolt and bolt carrier
and the wife has chosen the 15" parrilax tactical ffssr tube

Should be fun :-)
"JamesCannon wrote: I don't think any victim has ever cried out "If only someone was there to sit idly by and watch..."

"phil_in_cs wrote: People with lots of guns and ammo, but no food, are preparing to be looters and raiders, whether they admit to that or not."

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:39 am

Sledgecrowbar wrote:Yeah, my installation of the bolt latch pin and FA pin generally cause enough damage that I've given up on ever having a safe queen-grade AR. Though I have been dabbling in the tape-and-adjustable pliers method with some success.

I have three blem uppers, one from PSA and two from BCM, and I still can't find where the blemish is supposed to be. They're all marked on the rails and have normal anodizing, they just don't have roll stamps.
Get some vice grips with tape on the ends. You can adjust them to the nth degree.

I'm a bit OCD about my ARs, like my cars and everything else. I use those birchwood casey AR touch up pens to a great degree. I've even used them to touch up the wheels and valve covers on my car. They work great. :rofl:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:44 am

UndeadInfidel wrote:
Sledgecrowbar wrote:Yeah, my installation of the bolt latch pin and FA pin generally cause enough damage that I've given up on ever having a safe queen-grade AR. Though I have been dabbling in the tape-and-adjustable pliers method with some success.

I have three blem uppers, one from PSA and two from BCM, and I still can't find where the blemish is supposed to be. They're all marked on the rails and have normal anodizing, they just don't have roll stamps.
Get some vice grips with tape on the ends. You can adjust them to the nth degree.

I'm a bit OCD about my ARs, like my cars and everything else. I use those birchwood casey AR touch up pens to a great degree. I've even used them to touch up the wheels and valve covers on my car. They work great. :rofl:
Yup. Until someone develops a roll pin that expands after it's put in place, the BC pens and vices will rule. I actually use a vice more or less exclusively for trigger guard pins.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:18 am

UndeadInfidel wrote:

In that case, I think a MilCopp class might actually make you cry :rofl: :crazy: :awesome:

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am

Greg Focker wrote: In that case, I think a MilCopp class might actually make you cry :rofl: :crazy: :awesome:
I'm sure it's so extreme...

I personally don't see the need in flinging an AR downrange, but to each his own.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:15 am

Its more to get through the mentality that its a tool. An expensive tool, but a tool none the less.

Ive met guys that were so scared of scratching their guns that they were not getting what they should have out of training. Now if it a family heirloom fine, just dont bring it to class.

My dad just got done building a AR10 but hes so paranoid about getting it dirty that he cant enjoy it. He takes a HUGE carpet to the range with him because he doesnt like the dust getting on it......
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:37 am

docdredd wrote:Its more to get through the mentality that its a tool. An expensive tool, but a tool none the less.

Ive met guys that were so scared of scratching their guns that they were not getting what they should have out of training. Now if it a family heirloom fine, just dont bring it to class.

My dad just got done building a AR10 but hes so paranoid about getting it dirty that he cant enjoy it. He takes a HUGE carpet to the range with him because he doesnt like the dust getting on it......
Pretty sure I got that in the military. Plenty of gear destruction there. Now, I pay others to do the testing by purchasing quality name brand parts.

There's also a notable difference between flinging an AR downrange end over end, and simply using it as intended. I know an AK can function if left at the bottom of a pond for a week, but it doesn't mean I'll store mine there.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Training unconventional shooting positions, using cover, getting in and out of vehicles, moving through a structure, and your rifle banging on mags in your chest rig will scratch up a rifle. I think the whole flinging rifles thing was just a way to help people with mind set. No one threw a rifle at the Milcopp class I went to, although I have heard stories.

I need to get video of a drill I made up with friends. It involves shooting targets, muzzle thumping a dummy made of 2x4's with an empty rifle and transitioning to a pistol. I call it the B.A.M. drill after its developers.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:21 pm

Hmmm......I'm not happy with the way the DSA lower (rounded, smooth lines) matches up with the vltor upper (sharp angular lines). it'll work for now but I'm thinking the DSA lower is eventually going to be used on a mock dissy build (A1 upper, KAC ras, sully stock :clap: ) that I'll be doing when this spr build is finished.

Soooooo which lower will match the vltor upper best? Noveski gen 2 is forged (out of stock every where but I'm in no hurry), DDLES VM-1 is designed to match but is billet and I'd rather have a forged one.

You guys have any suggestions?

and yes I know it is cosmetic and doesn't matter :wink:
"JamesCannon wrote: I don't think any victim has ever cried out "If only someone was there to sit idly by and watch..."

"phil_in_cs wrote: People with lots of guns and ammo, but no food, are preparing to be looters and raiders, whether they admit to that or not."

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:22 pm

Redeyes wrote:I think the whole flinging rifles thing was just a way to help people with mind set.
That among other things, yes. Although we have been known to throw rifles, we'd never ask a student to do the same with their own. There is a famous instructor who is pretty well known for that though.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:07 pm

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/JPSCS-AR15.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any thoughts on the Silent Captured Spring for the AR? It looks like it doesn't add anything, and all it does is take away that crunchy sproing noise. Am I missing something? I'm still sorta interested just because it's different, but I didn't find any long term reviews on my short initial search.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:19 pm

BigDaddyTX wrote:http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/JPSCS-AR15.aspx

Any thoughts on the Silent Captured Spring for the AR? It looks like it doesn't add anything, and all it does is take away that crunchy sproing noise. Am I missing something? I'm still sorta interested just because it's different, but I didn't find any long term reviews on my short initial search.
Looks like gamer window dressing (except uh, hidden window dressing?) If I had to stretch it, I could see some uses for tuning systems on competition guns I suppose... For $100? Nah, not even for that purpose.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:28 am

UndeadInfidel wrote:
Greg Focker wrote: In that case, I think a MilCopp class might actually make you cry :rofl: :crazy: :awesome:
I'm sure it's so extreme...

I personally don't see the need in flinging an AR downrange, but to each his own.
You can usually get "gun people" to agree that a gun is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. But then when they're using it, many people treat it like it's closer to a scanning electron microscope than a hammer. If you are training to use your gun to defend yourself, are you better served by having the mindset of:
A.) wearing white gloves, putting down a shooting mat, wrapping the barricades in foam padding, etc.
OR
B.) getting into position as quickly as possible while still being safe, and if the gun happens to get scraped on your gear/whatever cover you are using, that's just the cost of doing business?

At our core, we're just highly evolved monkeys with opposable thumbs. Sure, you could tell a man about the Bernoulli Effect, how it works, and even after understanding the math he might not believe it subconsciously. Show him a 747 take off though, and he's much less likely to be nervous when the "Please fasten seat-belts" light comes on. Besides, it's not like we were lobbing our rifles at the targets to finish a drill. The only thing I can remember that was consistently tossed was crypto's 1911... but that's a whole separate issue.

Tl; dr: Any gun you train with is going to get marked up some. Holster wear on your pistol from practicing your draw stroke. Your rifle will get scratches from rubbing up on your gear/cover. I don't think any defensive shooting class is a place to take a safe queen. Dave might be somewhat more "extreme" than others in getting the point across, but if you're standing around in class worried about scratching your gun, you aren't learning as much as you could be. Him tossing his rifle+optic over his head was a quick way to get everyone on the same page.

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Offers an 80% lower for a DPMS pattern AR 308 that takes G3 mags, as well as standard AR 308s, AR10s, AR15s, and other 80% receivers.

http://www.facebook.com/mountaineermetalworks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

odieinsane@gmail.com
Last edited by eeb on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:49 pm

Greetings all!

What does the Brain Trust think about Palmetto State Armory?

I finished my first build right before The Great Panic set in, so my subsequent builds have been necessarily delayed, and I was closely monitoring the parts market for a long time. I literally ordered a couple of BCM BCGs while within a hundred feet of Stonehenge... when my phone chirped at me that a new email had come in, and I saw it was an "in-stock" notification from BCM, I literally got a huge jolt of adrenaline and had a hard time typing on my phone! Other notifications had come in, but always when I didn't see the email until they were sold out... vacation be dammed, I wasn't letting that one slip by me without trying!

Anyway, during the panic, Palmetto was still able to come up with some parts, yet they frequently were given very poor reviews over on Arfcom.

However, there was always a vocal minority who claimed that actual PSA branded parts were top-notch, as opposed to whatever they were able to move when good parts were just unavailable.

Recently, a friend who is insanely into building (he introduced me to 80% lowers, and he's currently building an HK-94ish carbine from a blank...) mentioned that he prefers PSA above everything else because they are "truly mil-spec".

What do folks think? They've a decent sale on carbine receiver extensions, springs, buffers, etc., that i want to move on, if they are good to go...

Thanks!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:31 pm

PSA parts if delivered as advertised are just fine.

Their CS fell off pretty friggin impressively starting sometime last year. Last I heard things are better, but there are some pretty atrocious stories of shit being pretty fucked up to the tune of missing 30 mags in an order, sending completely the wrong stuff, sending barrel assemblies missing gas holes, etc.

Like I said, the product should be fine if you get what you ordered, and most likely things are a little better on the CS end now. They do have good pricing on AR parts and uppers especially. Certainly good enough for the avg shooter.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Well, PSA has finally fixed their CS and ordering filling. They finally inspect every order and there is a sticker on each box with initials. As far as their parts, they are mil spec and good to go. I haven't broken or otherwise found anything screwed up in any PSA product I have in thousands and thousands of rds.
PSA is massive and a pretty good company. They have finally shed the garage mentality. I'm still not as favorable as I once was towards them.

In an off note, they're coming out with a bolt gun, a 1911, an AK and an AR-10. FN will have it's civilian AR-15 out soon too. It's called, wait for it, the FN-15. I will get one. Because I'm a whore.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:47 pm

Interested to see if they do a RRA type 1911 minus a huge shit badge on the slide for similar pricing...
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:52 pm

Wait... PSA is coming out with a 1911 and an AK? :shock: :clap:

shiddymunkie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by shiddymunkie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:54 pm

PSAK
PSAR-10

the marketing writes itself

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:43 pm

So I'm probably going to be building an AR or two. I'd be doing this primarily to save money. I'm not looking to make building ARs and keeping up on all the latest whatsits a hobby.

Are there any good guides for beginners?

Would it be alright just to describe what kind of AR I want to build and have you guys suggest what parts to buy? Or is trying to shove off all of the work onto you guys acting in bad taste? :lol:

I'm guessing these questions have been asked before, but reading through 280 pages seemed kind of daunting.

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:42 am

quazi wrote:So I'm probably going to be building an AR or two. I'd be doing this primarily to save money. I'm not looking to make building ARs and keeping up on all the latest whatsits a hobby.

Are there any good guides for beginners?

Would it be alright just to describe what kind of AR I want to build and have you guys suggest what parts to buy? Or is trying to shove off all of the work onto you guys acting in bad taste? :lol:

I'm guessing these questions have been asked before, but reading through 280 pages seemed kind of daunting.
What are you using the gun for? Home Defense? Plinking? Varmit hunting? Match shooting? Do you want it to be a tack driver? Are you planning to make it a SBR? Do you want it to be lightweight? The AR platform is pretty versatile, but you need to figure(or let us know) out what you want to do with it, and go from there.

As for guides, youtube as tons of videos as to the actual process of building an AR. It's actually extremely simple. If you are unfamiliar with the platform, i'd suggest spending some time in the AR15.com tech forums, as there is a wealth of knowledge there.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”