All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Assault Life

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Assault Life » Mon May 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks. It came off an ACS stock, and doesnt limit rotation. Just had it laying around, so I tried it.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon May 27, 2013 9:45 pm

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/ ... cro-mount/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also this, notice the top pic of it on an alpha rail.

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Tue May 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Troy makes a QD swivel mount that fits the holes in their Alpha rail. Not that any other solution isn't as good, and certainly if you already have a swivel, use it, but they do.

http://troyind.com/%20/slingsmounts/rai ... oming-soon
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 pm

Any thoughts on DSArms uppers? I know their FAL clones are pretty good, and I saw their uppers look solid for a cheap price. I've heard wait times are crazy long though.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm

Brotherbadger wrote:Any thoughts on DSArms uppers? I know their FAL clones are pretty good, and I saw their uppers look solid for a cheap price. I've heard wait times are crazy long though.
Wait times are stupid. They pissed off some people (namely, their supplier) awhile back and they're paying for it now.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:24 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Brotherbadger wrote:Any thoughts on DSArms uppers? I know their FAL clones are pretty good, and I saw their uppers look solid for a cheap price. I've heard wait times are crazy long though.
Wait times are stupid. They pissed off some people (namely, their supplier) awhile back and they're paying for it now.
Ha! Did they screw someone over? Bad business decisions always come back to bite you.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:25 am

Brotherbadger wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Ha! Did they screw someone over? Bad business decisions always come back to bite you.
I have a DSA complete lower that I've been using instead of my Spikes. I think the finish is better, and it fits tighter on all my uppers. No experience with the uppers though, but I wouldn't have a problem running one if it worked.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Brotherbadger » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:46 am

Assault Life wrote:
Brotherbadger wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I have a DSA complete lower that I've been using instead of my Spikes. I think the finish is better, and it fits tighter on all my uppers. No experience with the uppers though, but I wouldn't have a problem running one if it worked.
Oh, I will most likely go with them (I'm not in a hurry) unless someone like PSA has a monster sale soon. I was just curious as to why they had long wait times. Thanks for the heads up on the quality.

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am

Brotherbadger wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I have a DSA upper for my gf's build that is almost done... if you arent in a hurry they seem ok, its just a reg old M4 upper to me... Wait til was about 3 months btw, that was ordered off their website...
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

Ten Eight

Re: All purpose

Post by Ten Eight » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Ok, I'd like some help.

I'm looking to fill in a few weight values in my 300BLK Excel sheet.

If anybody had the following, and could weigh them in oz., I'd appreciate it.

1. A 20 round GI mag with 20x 220g subs.

2. A 30 round GI mag with 30x 220g subs.

3. A rifle length buffer tube, tube only.

4. A polymer pistol lower with metal fcg parts, and carbine length tube without the buffer and spring.

Long shots:

Charging Handle weight or the weight of the Gas Buster big latch.
8.5" 300Blk barrel standard profile.- I'm guessing 20 oz.

Edit: Ok, I found the weights of some of these. Edited for new ones.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

TheMightyKush

Post by TheMightyKush » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:32 am

Got a quick question for you AR builders out there. Since the ATF only considers the lower receiver a firearm would that mean someone under 21 could buy a pistol upper ie under 16 inches? I got some cash recently and have been contemplating getting a AR pistol when i turn 21 next year and then get the forms for an SBR but would it be possible to buy the upper and get the paperwork done already seeing as it would be considered a rifle?

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:17 pm

TheMightyKush wrote:Got a quick question for you AR builders out there. Since the ATF only considers the lower receiver a firearm would that mean someone under 21 could buy a pistol upper ie under 16 inches? I got some cash recently and have been contemplating getting a AR pistol when i turn 21 next year and then get the forms for an SBR but would it be possible to buy the upper and get the paperwork done already seeing as it would be considered a rifle?
It's best to file the paperwork first. If you have a lower and a short barrel upper, you've got either two problems.
1. You've got a pistol buffer tube and now you've built a pistol while underage.
or
2. You've got a regular stock laying around and now you're guilty of constructive possession of an unregistered SBR.

So, either wait until you're 21 to buy that pistol upper and/or file the SBR paperwork now.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Boromokot

Post by Boromokot » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:05 pm

^what pistolpete said. just having the right components in your possession can land you in hot water without the proper paperwork. If anything put that money towards other parts of the build until you're 21. grab some mags, ammo, a cleaning kit; all of which you will be able to use, no matter what configuration you chose for an AR build

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:31 pm

At a local shop yesterday and got another striped AR lower. A black Stag arms for $100.00. The guy working said i'm in there enough so the 2 used Colt USGI i had in my hand he gave me for free. They only had a 5 dollar tag on them so free mags :clap:

No .22 or 9mm ,5.56 Fedral XM193 in a 20 round box was priced at $15 a box. Had plenty of $1000.00 and up AR's and unknow priced AK's in stock. No mags for a G17 , but had other glock mags in for $35 and up. Had plenty of Glocks and S&W M&P's ect in stock.

Now to think what to build it as.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:46 pm

More parts..

Just need the brown truck to bring my Spikes bcg and my .556 AR will be done. :D

My .300blk now with 100% more rear sight. ....

KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Swunk are you going to suppress your .300 BO ?

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Eventually. Got another stamp project coming first then can and sbr. For the blk.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:36 am

Stopped by a LGS yesterday and AR parts in abundance... plenty of stripped lowers, a lone stripped upper, plenty of handguards and they even had ammo, high priced($12/20 for some flavor of XM193, 55gr fmj/bt fodder) but they had several different flavors which was super encouraging to see!

OT-gf's handguard should be here this week along with her ambi gunfighter CH to complete her build!
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:02 am

I found this in my travels, and deemed it relevant to this
thread.

I wasn't really aware of the exact differences. I just knew that there were differences, and this graphic explained it nicely.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:53 pm

i'm so happy, i might be getting a trijicon reflex sight
crypto wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
I hate you guys sometimes
FTFY
FTFY.

TheMightyKush

Post by TheMightyKush » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:09 am

Im thinking of getting a YHM carbine length quadrail unless somebody knows of a similarly priced quality quadrail that might be lighter?

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Brotherbadger » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:14 am

TheMightyKush wrote:Im thinking of getting a YHM carbine length quadrail unless somebody knows of a similarly priced quality quadrail that might be lighter?
YHM runs around $115 right? Midwest industries drop in quad is about $10 more and is 3 oz lighter

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:48 am

The Troy Alpha carbine rail is 7 oz. I believe.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:37 am

TheMightyKush wrote:Im thinking of getting a YHM carbine length quadrail unless somebody knows of a similarly priced quality quadrail that might be lighter?

Why do you need a quad rail is the first question.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”