All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by RickOShea » Tue May 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Assault Life wrote:Sledge, its still an AR thread...
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Tue May 21, 2013 6:05 pm

hooray for IDF girls!!!!! and ours too!!!!
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue May 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Tommy Tran wrote:hooray for IDF girls!!!!! and ours too!!!!
Yeah, but there aren't too many new "AR" pics coming from over there........Soon we'll need an "All Purpose Tavor" thread. :awesome:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:13 pm

So after doing some digging...if being a bit frugal and good on deals...it seems like it is possible again to build a Duty Grade C/AR15 for 700-900 bucks
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

ssdtopgun

Post by ssdtopgun » Tue May 21, 2013 6:25 pm

If anyone is seriously interested in Israeli Defense women.

My son worked through a volunteer program over a summer and went over to Israel. He volunteered with the Israeli army and worked with a tank battalion. It was a really interesting experience for him and he had a fabulous time.

The link for the volunteer site is:
http://www.vfi-usa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then look for the IDF SAR-EL program.

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Wed May 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Pictures of shit having nothing to do with BUILDING an AR
I appreciate ladies with rifles as much as the next guy, but can we please get back to topics pertaining to assembly and accessorizing?
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

JFlagg

Post by JFlagg » Wed May 22, 2013 10:14 pm

PSA has M4 and midlength rifle kits in stock for $6xx.00... Throw on a $100 stripped lower and you have a $700ish AR
"Watermelons, because they taste so much better than glass bottles when you shoot them with a machine gun"

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Thu May 23, 2013 3:20 pm

hope those stick around I got work bonus time coming up!
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 23, 2013 3:56 pm

VSS Vintorez.
"Thread Cutter" [appears to take it's name from the imagery of snipping a target's thread from the tapestry of life]
9x39
Suppressed
Really fucking quiet.
400m(?) range

Okay. Cool. Like all good Americans, I now want to copy and improve upon the Russian design. I have one lower that still doesn't have an upper. I have an FFP 1-4 scope. I have time and access to some machinery. What I want to know is, how do I build an upper that would be capable of matching, approaching, or outdoing the VSS Vintorez's stated specs. Assuming I load 300 Whisper subsonic and stick with straight walled 20 round mags, and have backups that are standard capacity loaded with 300 BO supersonics for "going loud."

Rifle would serve a few purposes.
1. I want to headshot a fucking deer. Google it up. Splodey-splodey-head-deer. Pew-pew-head-splodey. More saved meat, sicne I don't need to she the head off to prove my prowess. I'd like to be able to do it without destroying the antlers (sell them to a knifemaker I know) and without earpro.
2. I would love to be able to play sniper against all sorts of game. Theoretically this could even be a moose/elk gun if I tweaked the loading and got close. Again, no earpro (when legal)
3. Mall ninja time. PEW PEW. LEET URBAN SNIPER PEW PEW.

So, how do I do this? What barrel length? I have the can and a useable scope, what barrel will give me the length I need to whack along subsonics with lethal force? What kind of range can I squeak out of this? What do I need to start loading these things? Can I get what I want from a 14.7" barrel with pinned QD FH, or will this be better as a spare upper for the SBR? Will 300BO loads give me what I want, or will going to the too-long-for-curved-mags 300 Whisper loading let me eek out more performance? Will Scrubs ever make a comeback?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu May 23, 2013 4:13 pm

What receiver?
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Regular Guy wrote:What receiver?
The lower? The SBR is Spike's, the spare is a DD with DD LPK, about to get an ACT trigger jsut because I have one. I'm sure down the line I'll drop a CMC in as the build progresses.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu May 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Herp. Sorry.

I think a 10" barrel is what you're looking for. Are you looking for a kind of Russian look? Mebbe wooden thumbhole AR stock, wood handguards?
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Regular Guy wrote:Herp. Sorry.

I think a 10" barrel is what you're looking for. Are you looking for a kind of Russian look? Mebbe wooden thumbhole AR stock, wood handguards?
Honestly I want this to be 'Merica. Is there no advantage to going with the 12" or 14" upper with the subs? No more accuracy? Weight's not a huge issue. The damn can weighs 28oz, so the added weight form a few inches of barrel isn't a big deal if it's gonna help me stretch the effective range a bit with the subs.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu May 23, 2013 4:33 pm

Between 10" and 16" you get 25 more fps. 10" is optimal, longest I have is 9". My recent handloads produced 1150 fps. I don't notice anymore accuracy with my 16" vs my 9".

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 23, 2013 4:34 pm

What distance are we talking? What kind of accuracy? Are you loading for precision or just for cheap plinking subs?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu May 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:What distance are we talking? What kind of accuracy? Are you loading for precision or just for cheap plinking subs?
100m. 2-3". Precision subs. Using 1x4 scope. Mostly prone/offhand. 208 hornady amax. I'd like to do more work with these loads but brass is scarce.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Regular Guy wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:What distance are we talking? What kind of accuracy? Are you loading for precision or just for cheap plinking subs?
100m. 2-3". Precision subs. Using 1x4 scope. Mostly prone/offhand. 208 hornady amax. I'd like to do more work with these loads but brass is scarce.
Yeah that is in no way acceptable for what I want to do. I'm thinking hasty prone, 1-1.5MOA out to 250 at the least with subs.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu May 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Yikes, yeah, out of my skill set.

Eta, I believe the accuracy claims of the vss are exaggerated.

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Thu May 23, 2013 6:55 pm

i found the scope i want..now to get rid of this coat.. burris tac30
crypto wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
I hate you guys sometimes
FTFY
FTFY.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Fri May 24, 2013 4:32 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:
Yeah that is in no way acceptable for what I want to do. I'm thinking hasty prone, 1-1.5MOA out to 250 at the least with subs.
I've discussed building sub-specific upper with a couple of buddies (who wanted hunting rifles, so they where looking into boltaction guns), one of which actually bought reloading-equipment for AAC Blackout. We've found that sub-MOA subs (mohahahaha, hows that for quality writing) are possible, but need tinkering. It all ended up with the guy buying the AAC equipment dropping the project, and the other one going for a .458 SOCOM.

I got a spare DPMS slick side upper (that I tore off my .22 upper yesterday since I needed/wanted a forward assist) and a spare Troy TRX Extreme handguard, and I'm thinking hard about going for a .458 build kit from Wilson Combat sine they're complete and priced right. And since suppressors aren't regulated items here in Norway, they're plentiful and (somewhat) cheap :D
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri May 24, 2013 9:59 am

I was reading the other day, and it seems Rob Silvers of M4com/AAC manage .25MOA out to 100 yards. I've been seeing the loads I want (Lehi defense 194grME and Remington 220gr FMJ) achieve sub-MOA. I don't think I could shoot sub-MOA yet, but I don't see a reason I can't get the ammo and the rifle to be as good as I am.

Keep me posted on that 458 Subsonic thing. Sounds like something I could convince my dad to try.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Fri May 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Keep me posted on that 458 Subsonic thing. Sounds like something I could convince my dad to try.
Guess I won't be doing it until the new gunlaws here in Norway are settled. After that fucktard shot up a lot of kids with a Mini 14, there has been some who wants to ban SA rifles outright. I'll play with what I have until we know more (though I do got my hopes up for Norway not to do what Britain and Australia did).
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Sun May 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Finished off my build with an STR and mounting a Magpul QD stud to the Alpha rail. Just need a Troy rear sight then I'm probably Cerakoting the gun.

I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Mon May 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Assault Life wrote:Finished off my build with an STR and mounting a Magpul QD stud to the Alpha rail. Just need a Troy rear sight then I'm probably Cerakoting the gun.

Nice looking build. Which Magpul qd stud is that? Is it rotation limiting?
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”