All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BigDaddyTX

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sun May 12, 2013 11:20 pm

ArmchairRacer wrote:So I've decided to start building my first AR (I know, I picked the perfect timing) and I have two questions that I can't seem to find answers with Google.

1. Is there a list of all the parts I need to assemble? I know the lower is pretty simple but it seems like there's quite a bit to the upper and I don't want to just buy a pre-built upper.

2. Is there a list of weights of individual parts? I want to build an ultra-lightweight rifle, and yes I know that will make it more expensive but I'm just going to take my time gathering everything.

I'd really appreciate the help.
#1 : http://www.brownells.com/UserDocs/Misce ... CLform.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First google for ar15 parts list...

#2 : IDK, it's hard to find different weights for things. You can try to find the ultralight AR thread on ZS. Use google and search (no quotes) "site:zombiehunters.org whatever"
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Mon May 13, 2013 1:11 am

ArmchairRacer wrote:So I've decided to start building my first AR (I know, I picked the perfect timing) and I have two questions that I can't seem to find answers with Google.

1. Is there a list of all the parts I need to assemble? I know the lower is pretty simple but it seems like there's quite a bit to the upper and I don't want to just buy a pre-built upper.

2. Is there a list of weights of individual parts? I want to build an ultra-lightweight rifle, and yes I know that will make it more expensive but I'm just going to take my time gathering everything.

I'd really appreciate the help.
Brownells AR assembly videos are the answer to this question every time. Watch 'em all the way through. They are free.

Offhand, the lightest build would be an Ace ultralight stock, polymer lower receiver, and a pencil barrel with a carbine handguard. It gets pretty fanatical after that, with stuff like slick-sided upper receivers giving you fractions of an ounce.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Mon May 13, 2013 10:17 am

drinking bcm kool aid tommorrow
crypto wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
I hate you guys sometimes
FTFY
FTFY.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Mon May 13, 2013 10:19 am

That Brownells link is perfect! And yeah, I'm planning on being a bit fanatical about the weight, I don't do things halfway.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Tue May 14, 2013 3:54 am

ArmchairRacer wrote:That Brownells link is perfect! And yeah, I'm planning on being a bit fanatical about the weight, I don't do things halfway.
Lots of info and discussion on light builds in this thread over at M4C.
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Tue May 14, 2013 11:53 am

should i buy a lightweight mid length or wait for the standard?
crypto wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
FTFY
FTFY.

Resolute

Post by Resolute » Tue May 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Go light. There's no valid reason for standard for 99% of people. That's also where the weight will make the most difference.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue May 14, 2013 10:29 pm

A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:should i buy a lightweight mid length or wait for the standard?
I don't see a reason not to go with the lightweight--is there a reason you're concerned with going that route? I mean, it's BCM, I doubt you'll have any problems with it either way.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Wed May 15, 2013 10:19 am

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:should i buy a lightweight mid length or wait for the standard?
I don't see a reason not to go with the lightweight--is there a reason you're concerned with going that route? I mean, it's BCM, I doubt you'll have any problems with it either way.
ordered.. only had to pay 5 out of pocket and for shipping. fair win for me
crypto wrote:
FTFY
FTFY.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Thu May 16, 2013 2:42 pm

I plan on getting a carbine length MOE handguard. Any reason I shouldn't get the MOE illumination kit since all I really plan on doing is adding a light?
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu May 16, 2013 4:40 pm

As an update to my previous questions about the Trijicon TR24 on an AR with a handguard and fixed front sight. I finally got it mounted on my PSA 16" mock dissipator.

It's a Bobro 30mm extended mount. Unfortunately I think it's mismarked on their website as being standard height (1.5" is standard cowitness height, like Larue and AD standard mounts), but it's actually the perfect height - somewhere around 1.6-1.7", which allows it to clear the fixed front sight post. The smaller qd base also allows for more flexibility in eye relief, so as you can see, even if you don't shoot entirely NTCH and have a non-railed handguard (like a moe dissy), you can move it back on the flat top a bit and get perfect eye relief. Note that it also allows me to keep the matech rear mounted underneath it, which is great because it's not even a low profile buis.

Edit: Take note that the Bobro 30mm standard and non-extended mounts sit LOWER than the extended mount.

Hopefully this will help anyone who wants a TR24 make the right choice, because I spent at least 6 hours digging through various forums who didn't have complete info. Glad I bought this one.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu May 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Nice. Looks perfect.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Thu May 16, 2013 11:20 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:gun pics
That turned out looking really good.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Fri May 17, 2013 4:21 am

Rev wrote:I plan on getting a carbine length MOE handguard. Any reason I shouldn't get the MOE illumination kit since all I really plan on doing is adding a light?
The big question is what kind of light-setup you want on your gun. The Illumination kit is best for setups with a pressure switch.
If you're going to use a light without that I suggest going for the MOE scout mount instead. I've got a E2d mounted on my carbine MOE handguard with the scout mount (and a VLTOR ring), and so far I like it.

Some old pictures to show it off:

Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri May 17, 2013 10:17 am

Regular Guy wrote:Nice. Looks perfect.
Sledgecrowbar wrote:That turned out looking really good.
Thanks guys. Is it bad that a 16" AR seems like a frickin musket to me now? I've been spoiled by short barrels.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri May 17, 2013 10:22 am

UndeadInfidel wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:Nice. Looks perfect.
Sledgecrowbar wrote:That turned out looking really good.
Thanks guys. Is it bad that a 16" AR seems like a frickin musket to me now? I've been spoiled by short barrels.
I wouldn't be disappointed. 16" offer more than adequate velocities with 5.56. Coupled with a 1x4 lets that rifle be useful, IMO, as a generalist rifle capable of 0-600m. My SBRs, to me, are limited to 200m. To me with my shooting skills, an EOtech on a 16" gun let's me hit at 400m because that's the furthest I've ever shot with that set up. I'm not saying it can't, I'm saying I never have so I'm not going to make up some crap that I've never done.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri May 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Regular Guy wrote:I wouldn't be disappointed. 16" offer more than adequate velocities with 5.56. Coupled with a 1x4 lets that rifle be useful, IMO, as a generalist rifle capable of 0-600m. My SBRs, to me, are limited to 200m. To me with my shooting skills, an EOtech on a 16" gun let's me hit at 400m because that's the furthest I've ever shot with that set up. I'm not saying it can't, I'm saying I never have so I'm not going to make up some crap that I've never done.
Yeah, I suppose plinking steel at 300 with my 10" ARs may be a false sense of security, ballistics and all. The only real downside to the TR24 is lack of BDC. If they made it with a reticule for accurate holdover, I think it'd be the perfect sight.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri May 17, 2013 12:07 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:I wouldn't be disappointed. 16" offer more than adequate velocities with 5.56. Coupled with a 1x4 lets that rifle be useful, IMO, as a generalist rifle capable of 0-600m. My SBRs, to me, are limited to 200m. To me with my shooting skills, an EOtech on a 16" gun let's me hit at 400m because that's the furthest I've ever shot with that set up. I'm not saying it can't, I'm saying I never have so I'm not going to make up some crap that I've never done.
Yeah, I suppose plinking steel at 300 with my 10" ARs may be a false sense of security, ballistics and all. The only real downside to the TR24 is lack of BDC. If they made it with a reticule for accurate holdover, I think it'd be the perfect sight.
Oh, I'm not saying the SBR can't hit and be effective @ 300m. I'm saying I never have so I can't say that I can with certainty. My range only extends to 200m so I can only say that I can hit a man sized at 200m from kneeling, squat and prone. Furthest I'm shot in past 10 years is 400m with a 16" AR with a 1x5 and it was effective for me.

There is a rash of big claims as of late and I'm not riding that train. Just staying in my lane.

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Fri May 17, 2013 8:44 pm

my bcm is the sex. i have some wobble on my spikes lower, what do i do?
crypto wrote:
FTFY
FTFY.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri May 17, 2013 8:48 pm

A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:my bcm is the sex. i have some wobble on my spikes lower, what do i do?
Leave it alone and go shoot.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Fri May 17, 2013 8:49 pm

A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:my bcm is the sex. i have some wobble on my spikes lower, what do i do?

That means it will work fine. Shoot the shit out of it.

Sledgecrowbar

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Fri May 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Shoot it as-is, then stuff a shim of folded-up tin foil under the front and rear blocks where the pin holes are, cut them very slightly wide so they sit tightly.

If you like it better with the shims, there are more 'proper' options if you want, but this will give you some perspective. Most ARs have noticeable play that doesn't affect them one bit.
Brotherbadger wrote:

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Sat May 18, 2013 9:39 pm

the upper has some white goo looking stuff around the delta ring and barrel nut thing, should i be worried?
crypto wrote:
FTFY
FTFY.

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Sat May 18, 2013 9:41 pm

A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:the upper has some white goo looking stuff around the delta ring and barrel nut thing, should i be worried?
You haven't been loving on your AR TOO much, have you?
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”