All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by PistolPete » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:15 pm

ShooterMike wrote: I use a "Levang Linear Compensator" on one dedicated 20" barrel hunting AR. I've tried them on 10.5", 14.5" and 16" barrels as well. It really doesn't do much of anything noticeable about reducing muzzle climb and reduces the rearward recoil barely at all. But it significantly reduces perceived noise to the shooter and may slightly reduce muzzle flash over a bare muzzle. I've noticed the amount of flash it reduces is very ammo-dependent. Some ammo has practically no flash with it, while some other brands and types still exhibit a big orange fireball. It obviously has a lot to do with the burn rate of the powder and length of barrel used. If you get a lot of unburned powder residue in the comp, the next round will ignite the residue and give you a 4th-of-July type fireworks display with this enclosed design. :oh:
The Levang's are great if you are trying to cut down on sound out to the sides and at the shooters ear. I ran one on my PLR-16 and it was much more pleasant than an A2.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 pm

PistolPete wrote:
ShooterMike wrote: I use a "Levang Linear Compensator" on one dedicated 20" barrel hunting AR. I've tried them on 10.5", 14.5" and 16" barrels as well. It really doesn't do much of anything noticeable about reducing muzzle climb and reduces the rearward recoil barely at all. But it significantly reduces perceived noise to the shooter and may slightly reduce muzzle flash over a bare muzzle. I've noticed the amount of flash it reduces is very ammo-dependent. Some ammo has practically no flash with it, while some other brands and types still exhibit a big orange fireball. It obviously has a lot to do with the burn rate of the powder and length of barrel used. If you get a lot of unburned powder residue in the comp, the next round will ignite the residue and give you a 4th-of-July type fireworks display with this enclosed design. :oh:
The Levang's are great if you are trying to cut down on sound out to the sides and at the shooters ear. I ran one on my PLR-16 and it was much more pleasant than an A2.
I completely agree and that is what attracts me to them. One drawback is that they are quite a bit heavier than needed due to a lot of excess metal at the rear. And to me, they are very bland and almost fake looking. Here's a pic of what I did to the one on my hunting rifle to both reduce weight and make it look a bit more visually pleasing...at least to me. Others with more taste and panache will probably think it looks silly. 8-)

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:20 am

http://monderno.com/monderno/decendants ... way-rifle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a heads up!
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:30 am

Those of you searching for Bravo Co uppers, I found some in stock at G&R Tactical today.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/co ... descending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:52 am

Wildeman_13 wrote:
ShooterMike wrote:I use a "Levang Linear Compensator" on one dedicated 20" barrel hunting AR. I've tried them on 10.5", 14.5" and 16" barrels as well. It really doesn't do much of anything noticeable about reducing muzzle climb and reduces the rearward recoil barely at all. But it significantly reduces perceived noise to the shooter and may slightly reduce muzzle flash over a bare muzzle. I've noticed the amount of flash it reduces is very ammo-dependent. Some ammo has practically no flash with it, while some other brands and types still exhibit a big orange fireball. It obviously has a lot to do with the burn rate of the powder and length of barrel used. If you get a lot of unburned powder residue in the comp, the next round will ignite the residue and give you a 4th-of-July type fireworks display with this enclosed design. :oh:
That's one of the styles I was looking into. Basically here in CA we can't put anything on the front of the gun that claims to be a flash suppressor if you want to run a "featureless" rifle.

ETA: clarification
In Austria, we have a similar Problem: we can´t have Flash suppressors on semi auto guns.... (on repeaters it´s fine, go figure)

What some People did was take a generic A2 Flash suppressor and weld/press fit a machined "washer" into the front so that technically, it becomes a brake which is fine by our laws.

You got it better in ´murrica, These are commercially available from DPMS, EGW and others....

That´s one from EGW.

It´s dubbed a compensator, so maybe it´s fine for you to put it on your gun and have some, uhm, flash COMPENSATION?

From what i read though, some California Cops can be a PITA for no good reason, so i understand not wanting to invite them over Looks... Our cops wouldn´t even know the silly Little no flash suppressors on semi´s law in the first place so yeah.... gotta go by feel or prcedent for your AO.

(Google "A2 Compensator" (pics) and you´ll find a couple, as opposed to A2 flashhider)

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for all the advice so far and linky goodness. The other catch here... which I should have stated ahead of time... is that I am debating on building my featureless AR as a 6.8spc rifle. So the Brake/Comp options need to be there. But at least now I have a better idea of what to be looking for and what to avoid. :)
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Wildeman_13 wrote:Thanks for all the advice so far and linky goodness. The other catch here... which I should have stated ahead of time... is that I am debating on building my featureless AR as a 6.8spc rifle. So the Brake/Comp options need to be there. But at least now I have a better idea of what to be looking for and what to avoid. :)

Not to beat a tired horse (not dead yet) but the Levang has a lot of extra metal and can be opened up all the way to .30 caliber. A friend of mine had one opened up on both ends and rethreaded to fit his FAL. Worked pretty well at noise abatement even on .308.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:30 pm

Well here is "the bastard"

It's fixing to get painted that way it at least hurts the resale value..
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:38 pm

Good looking stick. I like the selection of Troy folding rear and fixed front sights. And glad to see more folks are using the 12 o'clock Surefire X300 too. Good solution for non-protruding light that's completely ambidextrous.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:51 pm

ShooterMike wrote:Good looking stick. I like the selection of Troy folding rear and fixed front sights. And glad to see more folks are using the 12 o'clock Surefire X300 too. Good solution for non-protruding light that's completely ambidextrous.
Hahah.. those are just the sights I had in parts boxes...

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:32 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:
ShooterMike wrote:Good looking stick. I like the selection of Troy folding rear and fixed front sights. And glad to see more folks are using the 12 o'clock Surefire X300 too. Good solution for non-protruding light that's completely ambidextrous.
I actually need some FDE troys. Wanna get rid of some?

Also, great lookin rifle.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:11 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:
gravediggerfour wrote:
I actually need some FDE troys. Wanna get rid of some?

Also, great lookin rifle.

Not FDE anymore!
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/16/nutasy5u.jpg[/img]]

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:43 pm

If anybody sees one of those VLTOR MUR-1S stripped uppers with no f/a, let a brotha know.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:31 am

how much do a2 buffer tubes go for used? someone wants to buy mine and want to give a fair price.
crypto wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
I hate you guys sometimes
FTFY
FTFY.

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:41 am

Just my best guess at market conditions, $20 if in like-new shape, $15 for good used, maybe as low as $10 if it's all scratched up or shows wear from a piston carrier. Could be higher depending on if no one has them in stock at all, but I'd offer someone around that range if I needed one. I think the last one I got was $12, but that was probably almost a year ago.

For some reason I refreshed the PSA lowers page and they actually had stock just now, if anybody needs.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... lower.html

NEVERMIND, wouldn't let me add it to the cart.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:01 pm

sold it for twenty, now to get rid of the rest and rebuild :clap:
this is like legos but for adults
crypto wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
FTFY
FTFY.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:19 pm

A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:sold it for twenty, now to get rid of the rest and rebuild :clap:
That's crazy. I have one just sitting in a box full of parts in the closet. Perhaps I'll sell it too.

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:09 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:sold it for twenty, now to get rid of the rest and rebuild :clap:
That's crazy. I have one just sitting in a box full of parts in the closet. Perhaps I'll sell it too.

i wanted to sell as a kit or trade but alas that did not work.. i can buy the vltor set soon enough though..
crypto wrote:
FTFY
FTFY.

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Just got my BCM Mod 3 charging handle in the mail today... $40 shipped from Botach. I actually had a shipping notice within an hour of placing my order. I was pleasantly surprised.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:25 pm

The bastard ran flawlessly at the range today, about 100 rounds or so of good ammo and a couple rounds of wolf just to make sure.

Zero malfunctions.

I sure cant wait till my new EXPS-2 eotech comes in I dont see how you can run one straight to the rail I have always ran one on a riser and just is not comfortable what so ever.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Nice. I think the EXPS will be fine, I ran a 516 which is also at lower 1/3 height without a riser and it was comfortable for me.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Resolute

Post by Resolute » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Where'd you order your eotech from, gd4?

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Resolute wrote:Where'd you order your eotech from, gd4?
SWFA

Resolute

Post by Resolute » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Their prices aren't too bad...

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”