All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Re: All purpose "Help me build my AR" thread.

Post by Badger24 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 pm

hatchtrikk wrote:Anyone have a trick to torquing down a barrel nut if one lacks a vice?
Just find a gun friendly friend that has one.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Akin wrote:
UndeadInfidel wrote:
lel40k3 wrote:Ordered one from stag they look like they will still be in stock if yall want any.

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=231

Thanks
Leland
I went ahead and ordered one, in case my CMMG doesn't come in. Doesn't hurt to have spares. Thanks!
Anyone get a confirmation email from them? I ordered a couple so that I'll have a LPK for each of my stripped lowers...
I ordered one and no email yet. Order says pending on website and I have an order number.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:27 pm

I'm getting ready to build an upper, is there any reason to install the forward assist? I never use it and I'd be just as happy with a plug in the hole. Anyone know of a pre-made plug or something else I can do with the hole if I don't install a forward assist?
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:45 pm

PistolPete wrote:I'm getting ready to build an upper, is there any reason to install the forward assist? I never use it and I'd be just as happy with a plug in the hole. Anyone know of a pre-made plug or something else I can do with the hole if I don't install a forward assist?
Yeah, they have them.

Schuster Forward Assist Plug (*Click*)

Sure you don't want the FA just in case?
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Browning 35 wrote:
PistolPete wrote:I'm getting ready to build an upper, is there any reason to install the forward assist? I never use it and I'd be just as happy with a plug in the hole. Anyone know of a pre-made plug or something else I can do with the hole if I don't install a forward assist?
Yeah, they have them.

Thanks!
In my experience they've only served to make problems worse, not better. If I didn't have it there, I wouldn't be tempted to use it. :-)

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:24 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:
Yeah, they have them.

Thanks!
In my experience they've only served to make problems worse, not better. If I didn't have it there, I wouldn't be tempted to use it. :-)
Okay, just making sure.

Mostly since I use my AR's to hunt with and (depending on where I'm at) I don't always load up til I get to the stand. Once I'm there I use the FA to make sure the bolt is seated after I ease the CH forward so that I'm not making a bunch of noise.

Other than that I've only used it once (dirty gun). It was dirty as hell from firing it a whole bunch, bolt didn't close all the way, I hit the FA, it went forward, fired normally and I was able to get a few more mags through it until we took a break and I was able to clean it. Haven't ever had it make a malfunction worse the way some people talk about it.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:31 pm

If you haven't already bought the upper, there are a few out there for a decent price with no FA at all. Lots of expensive ones too. I'm getting ready to buy the stripped upper for my 6.8 build and am deciding if I go the no-FA route or just pickup a nice upper with FA and ignore it. I don't think I have ever had to use it.
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Wildeman_13 wrote: If you haven't already bought the upper, there are a few out there for a decent price with no FA at all. Lots of expensive ones too. I'm getting ready to buy the stripped upper for my 6.8 build and am deciding if I go the no-FA route or just pickup a nice upper with FA and ignore it. I don't think I have ever had to use it.
I'm going with the Innovative Arms WAR gas adjustable upper. It comes with the forward assist. Although, it may come already built out, so one will already be installed. Their website is not abundant with information.....

- Mark Twain

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:00 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Wildeman_13 wrote: If you haven't already bought the upper, there are a few out there for a decent price with no FA at all. Lots of expensive ones too. I'm getting ready to buy the stripped upper for my 6.8 build and am deciding if I go the no-FA route or just pickup a nice upper with FA and ignore it. I don't think I have ever had to use it.
I'm going with the Innovative Arms WAR gas adjustable upper. It comes with the forward assist. Although, it may come already built out, so one will already be installed. Their website is not abundant with information.....
It comes already installed. Everything is installed so no worries about having to assemble the gas regulator etc
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Wolf .223 on sale at aim surplus.. good luck.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Wideners allegedly has IMI M193 and M855 back in stock... though I haven't been able to get into the site for the past hour...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

ClearD

Post by ClearD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:44 am

And both are back out of stock.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 pm

does anyone know where i can find an old school "teardrop" forward assist?

My dad has one on his A2 clone and being a lefty, i can reach around and hit it with my thumb easier then a round one...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:40 pm

0122358 wrote:does anyone know where i can find an old school "teardrop" forward assist?

My dad has one on his A2 clone and being a lefty, i can reach around and hit it with my thumb easier then a round one...
Numrich, DPMS and Bushmaster has them.

Bushmaster's out of stock on em though.

Edit : Here...Numrich Teardrop FA (*Click*)

I like that style too. Ordered one from Bushmaster awhile back, didn't find out about these others til later.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Browning 35 wrote:
0122358 wrote:does anyone know where i can find an old school "teardrop" forward assist?

Numrich, DPMS and Bushmaster has them.

Bushmaster's out of stock on em though.

Edit : Here...Numrich Teardrop FA (*Click*)

I like that style too. Ordered one from Bushmaster awhile back, didn't find out about these others til later.
thanks ive been looking but could never find any...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Was just looking at Bravo company. They have some 16 inch upper receiver groups in stock.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH- ... -c4-12.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 pm

In stock. added 999 and it took them all.

http://www.44mag.com/product/d_h_30_ar1 ... _magazines
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Resolute
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Resolute » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:35 pm

BTW - Natchez has 5.56 in stock... for $0.70 per round. :(

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Resolute wrote:BTW - Natchez has 5.56 in stock... for $0.70 per round. :(
So they email me... but their site is nuked from overload.
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:15 pm

So I went ahead and bought a vise. Did what RG recommended. Can anyone confirm that 35 foot pounds exactly is okay for a barrel nut? I know it's recommended to be between 35 and 80, but I just want to be sure.
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

Sledgecrowbar

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:28 pm

hatchtrikk wrote:So I went ahead and bought a vise. Did what RG recommended. Can anyone confirm that 35 foot pounds exactly is okay for a barrel nut? I know it's recommended to be between 35 and 80, but I just want to be sure.
You'll never regret it (buying a vise).

I thought it was 30-80, but for accuracy you want to stay near the low end, i.e., set your torque wrench for 30, take the wrench off and check your gas tube clearance, and keep tightening just a little at a time if you have to until the gas tube port is clear. I shine a light from the front of the upper and look through the back to get it close, then install the tube without the gas block pin and make sure it turns a little each way freely.
Brotherbadger wrote:

ClearD

Post by ClearD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:04 am

Can anyone recommend a good foregrip? I had a magpul AFG (original) on mine for a while and liked it, but recently put it on the wife's rifle. I want an actual vertical foregrip on mine, but would like some opinions if any of you use them.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:07 am

Thanks Sledge!
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 am

Sledgecrowbar wrote:In stock. added 999 and it took them all.

http://www.44mag.com/product/d_h_30_ar1 ... _magazines

I think this price will be close to the new normal for these type USGI once the hype settles down. Perhaps twenty bucks a mag. I think the days of 10x of these from DSG for 89.99 are over.

OT: Why is there such a broad torque range for the barrel nut?
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”